Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Give up road/race, for gravel bike?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-18, 04:51 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts

Has anyone given up their road/race bike for gravel bike? I have always said I'd always have a road/race bike. I probably shouldn't use absolutes so much, maybe.

I have also lived by N+ 1 and I now have 5 bicycles. I am however being tempted by the Nomadic lifestyle, and the itch to travel, explore, and to see new/experience new is setting in. (van life for a while) Which also means some serious down sizing.

So I am thinking 2 bicycles.

Option 1. Road bike/ MTB
Option 2. Gravel Bike/ MTB. gravel meaning higher end like Niner RDO/ Giant Revolt Advanced something I most likely wouldn't ride Single track/fire roads on.
Option 3 Gravel bike/ a town errand bike that I wouldn't mind leaving locked up out side while exploring cities

the thought of Not having a road bike is scary. however that is also part of this...... Letting go, and down sizing. Maybe I don't even need 2 bikes.

I am attaching a picture of a trail that I think runs from Kellogg ID to Wallace ID. Which is part of why I am thinking gravel bike + mountain bike. gravel for paved/maintained gravel 2-4 day rides from a mobile base station (van) and MTB for singletrack, trail, and fire road general exploring.

Then again me and MTB just has a higher chance of injury, not something I want being nomadic.

thoughts and opinions? feedback?

Old 09-24-18, 04:54 PM
Metieval

I think I can blur lines between Road/gravel, for a bike that doesn't compromise to much on pavement. RDO or REVOLT

and also blur lines between XC/trail and a bike capable of trail, yet still gives the ability for long epics off the beaten path. Like a Intense Sniper Trail. 120/120
Old 09-24-18, 05:11 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 118 Posts
I stopped road racing about a year before my road frame cracked and needed replacement - once that happened I went to a gravel bike and haven't looked back. So my road bike is also my gravel bike and is wearing 650bx47/42 slicks. It is better for everything except actual road racing. I'll never own another skinny tire road racing focused bike, there's no point for my style of riding.

If I were in your shoes I'd have 2 bikes, a gravel bike wearing fat road slicks and an mtb.

One bike? Drop-bar hardtail MTB. With the right tires or two wheelsets it would be good for all types of riding.

I think if the goal is to downsize, travel and explore then a readjustment of how cycling fits into that would be necessary. I'd be perfectly happy with one bike, one wheelset and one good set of tires. Basically reduce expectations where I'd be happy riding the same bike on pavement through the most technical singletrack because I'm more into less material possessions and more time exploring and relaxing. I would want the most capable bike - so while it might not be as fun to cruise along a little slower on fat knobbies and locked suspension it's great for technical singletrack and only having to maintain and fix one bike as opposed to 2 or more.

I know a guy like this. He's got a mountain bike that he does everything form fast-ish group rides to 300 mile bike packing trips. Only thing that changes are the bags he straps to the frame. Travels a lot, small apartment without a lot of stuff, job pays enough to live and not much more - he seems really happy and is always coming from somewhere or going somewhere when he's not in town.

Last edited by Spoonrobot; 09-24-18 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-24-18, 05:27 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Salsa Cutthroat + Road Wheelset + Dropper Post + Adjustable Stem = best do it most bike
Old 09-24-18, 07:08 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I could do three:

700c FG (also serves as a winter indoor trainer).
700c endurance road
700c Commuter / loaded tourer like a Surly Crosscheck

That's it - final offer

Both the FG and road bike can be made gravel by just adding tires if you pick the right bikes up front.

If I had to lose one more though it would be the road bike in favor of the Crosscheck that would have to serve that purpose but I would feel I was missing out a lot on a big "go fast" genre. Because I also commute year round I wouldn't want to be limited to only one nice road bike without a daily beater for fear of being damaged by salt etc...

Last edited by Happy Feet; 09-24-18 at 07:16 PM.
Old 09-24-18, 08:15 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
MTB and Gravel Bike all the way.
Old 09-24-18, 08:41 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
I haven't given up any of my road bikes for a gravel bike.
I like em all and havent come across a reason to give them up.

My gravel bike is a road bike...for gravel and dirt roads.
its another road bike for me.
Old 09-25-18, 12:45 AM
czr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
I could do three:

700c endurance road

That's it - final offer

Both the FG and road bike can be made gravel by just adding tires if you pick the right bikes up front.

If I had to lose one more though it would be the road bike in favor of the Crosscheck that would have to serve that purpose but I would feel I was missing out a lot on a big "go fast" genre. Because I also commute year round I wouldn't want to be limited to only one nice road bike without a daily beater for fear of being damaged by salt etc...
What FG bikes would those be?
Old 09-25-18, 07:48 AM
Happy Feet

?

Any bike you put gravel tires on or slap a direct drive trainer on...

My caveat was: "if you pick the right bikes up front." If there's one thing I would look for when buying bikes to serve multi purposes it would be tire clearance. Gearing (and other components) you can after market adapt. Almost any road or FG bike can do gravel if you can fit decent tires on though, depending on how much you wat to beat up a really nice road bike. Of course, you are limited somewhat by the gearing of FG's. Burt a lot of gravel is flat for some so that's not an issue.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 09-25-18 at 07:51 AM.
Old 09-25-18, 08:00 AM
Spoonrobot 

Nobody is going to seriously consider a fixed gear for a limited multi-purpose fleet with an off-road focus.
Old 09-25-18, 10:21 AM
Chris(NJ)

Bikes: Aethos (inbound), Pivot LES -XX1, Ibis Hakka -Force1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I've been tossing around the idea of selling my road bike and funding a second set of wheels for my cx/gr bike. This way I can just swap out wheels quickly to ride road or race cx. Easier than changing tubeless tires every weekend.
Old 09-25-18, 10:41 AM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
Get a nice hardtail mtb, stick a 34mm ring on the front, keep a second set of wheels with some nice, lighter, fatty slick tires on it and ride happily everywhere.

If I had to do with one bike, a hardtail mtb could do it all fine.
Old 09-25-18, 10:56 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Trekking bikes are Euro names for touring on a bike, To places
even if they did not pave the road...
so to go with out any competition to be involved..

With a 29er, you have big tire clearance on the frame,
& fitting less wide tires can always be done.
Old 09-25-18, 11:13 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
One gravel bike with a few wheel sets. Load up and hit the adventure trail!

+1. @Chris(NJ)
Old 09-25-18, 11:44 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris(NJ)
I've been tossing around the idea of selling my road bike and funding a second set of wheels for my cx/gr bike. This way I can just swap out wheels quickly to ride road or race cx. Easier than changing tubeless tires every weekend.
Curious since I dont have a bike that gets wheelset changes.

What is the reason for changing tubless tires every weekend? You have a road bike that you use for the road. You have a cx/gravel bike that you use for cx and gravel. What is the tire changing for?
Old 09-25-18, 11:51 AM
Chris(NJ)

Bikes: Aethos (inbound), Pivot LES -XX1, Ibis Hakka -Force1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Curious since I dont have a bike that gets wheelset changes.

What is the reason for changing tubless tires every weekend? You have a road bike that you use for the road. You have a cx/gravel bike that you use for cx and gravel. What is the tire changing for?
sorry, I could’ve typed that out better.

i meant, I’ve been thinking about selling the road bike. Once it’s gone, I’d only be left with my cx bike to use both on the road and off.
so as opposed to changing tires on that bike to use for distance road ride and off-road, I’d like a set of wheels for that bike to use on the road. Then I’d have my cx wheels.
i do change those cx tires between an aggressive mud/wet tire for cx and a more efficient do-all tire for gravel events though. That wouldn’t change if I sold the road bike.
Old 09-25-18, 12:22 PM
Metieval

Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
I stopped road racing about a year before my road frame cracked and needed replacement - once that happened I went to a gravel bike and haven't looked back. So my road bike is also my gravel bike and is wearing 650bx47/42 slicks. It is better for everything except actual road racing. I'll never own another skinny tire road racing focused bike, there's no point for my style of riding.

If I were in your shoes I'd have 2 bikes, a gravel bike wearing fat road slicks and an mtb.

One bike? Drop-bar hardtail MTB. With the right tires or two wheelsets it would be good for all types of riding.

I think if the goal is to downsize, travel and explore then a readjustment of how cycling fits into that would be necessary. I'd be perfectly happy with one bike, one wheelset and one good set of tires. Basically reduce expectations where I'd be happy riding the same bike on pavement through the most technical singletrack because I'm more into less material possessions and more time exploring and relaxing. I would want the most capable bike - so while it might not be as fun to cruise along a little slower on fat knobbies and locked suspension it's great for technical singletrack and only having to maintain and fix one bike as opposed to 2 or more.

I know a guy like this. He's got a mountain bike that he does everything form fast-ish group rides to 300 mile bike packing trips. Only thing that changes are the bags he straps to the frame. Travels a lot, small apartment without a lot of stuff, job pays enough to live and not much more - he seems really happy and is always coming from somewhere or going somewhere when he's not in town.
LBS had tried several times to talk me into a Midnight special. If I was living under a N+1 I'd almost be willing to go for it. Yet at the same time I have a custom 1991 Schwinn Crosscut, powdercoat, xt 1x, super fun to ride.... yet I find myself not riding it much and using the 29er for sub 1 mile rides. Likewise with my road SS it is super fun yet I rarely ride it.

My Supersix, and the Crossrip sees the most saddle time. then my 29er hardtail. So technically I'd be downgrading the supersix, and upgrading the Crossrip, for a new higher end gravel bike. My hybrid and SS would find new homes too.

a solo bike that is "most capable" is a very compelling argument. It's interesting to see on which side gets the importance. a few of you are more into single track. And Maybe some day I might be there. For now.... I might be able to let the road bike go, but not road (Pavement) riding.
Old 09-25-18, 12:29 PM
Metieval

I might be Tempted to go for a gravel bike that can run 700x38 and also 650x2.1 mtb and then just having 2 wheelsets. But I don't know........When I jump on a bike I just expect that bike to handle a certain way.

2 wheel sets on one bike is like trying to alternate driving a Toyota Prius and a Ford Crown Victoria back to back. turning head lights off at night because it starts raining. Derp! Nope that wasn't the Wipers lever!
Old 09-25-18, 07:56 PM
Happy Feet

Nobody is going to seriously consider a fixed gear for a limited multi-purpose fleet with an off-road focus.
Why not? You seem to be implying no one rides fixed gear on gravel. That may be news to some. While not mainstream, it can be a perfectly viable tool under the right circumstances. I'm currently typing this at Starbucks after yet another post dinner fg gravel ride while enjoying a beautiful sunset watching rowers on an irrigation canal. Within 10 minutes of my home I have access to about 60km's of fairly level dike systems that I ride for a regular workout. Others live on the plains with endless miles of flat gravel and little hill where a fg may add a welcome change of pace. In those cases a multi gear suspension bike could be a waste. There, a geared and a fg/ss would cover all the bases.

Also, some people train year round. If you have a home trainer or spin bike that counts as another bike. A fg is an handy multi purpose tool in that regard being both a bike you can ride around and needing only rollers or a direct drive trainer for inside use. Yes, you could use only one bike for both but, if you ride in the winter, cleaning it ever time you want to bring it inside to train on would get old fast.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 09-25-18 at 08:06 PM.
Old 09-25-18, 08:14 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
Depends on how serious you are of a road biker and how strong you are....I'm in transition currently as I sold my #1 road bike to get a gravel bike.. but knowing I'm going to buy a new "aero disc" road bike in the very near future. My gravel bike is around 7.6kg currently and with 30c "supposed" fast tires ... it's a f'n slug. Easily 2mph slower and 25-30w output. Putting on fast normal sized tires like turbo cottons gets a little more then half of this back but there is still the weight issue for climbs.

It is my current opinion for the type of riding I do... the gravel bike cannot replace the racing and fast group ride bike. Atleast not for me and the groups I'm riding with. Sounds like you are doing neither (road racing or fast road group rides) ... so a gravel bike could be a good compromise. Dont get me wrong, I like mine and am not going to get rid of it anytime soon...but for me it will eventually be N+1 again.

Last edited by spdntrxi; 09-25-18 at 08:20 PM.
Spoonrobot 

Why not? You seem to be implying no one rides fixed gear on gravel.
Did you even read the first post? Nothing you typed is helpful to the original poster.

I’m not implying anything, I stated clearly and plainly my opinion. Read it again.
Happy Feet

Originally Posted by Metieval
....When I jump on a bike I just expect that bike to handle a certain way.
There's some truth to this. I think when you are really into riding you want certain performance experiences. Anyone can own one bike if they only ride occasionally or only one way but the compromise between road - gravel - daily use - training - touring - mtb - downhill etc... rarely leads to being able to excel on one bike. You would have to accept mediocre in some areas.
Old 09-25-18, 08:22 PM
Spoonrobot 

Riding a bike with two vastly different wheel sets and tires is like riding two different bikes. You get used to it after a while and it just feels normal to switch back and forth.

I have four different bikes that I will regularly use for rides up to 8 hours. Each one is very different but after a few rides I’ve adapted and they all feel comfortable and familiar, just different, if that makes sense.

In the past I had one bike that I swapped between 700x25 racing slicks and 700x40 knobbies and it was the same way. Different but familiar - worked fine IME.
Old 09-25-18, 08:26 PM
Metieval

Why not?
I Love my Single speed road bike, I'd love to swap it out for a SSCX.

How ever, a single SSCX bike is a very poor choice for a bike that would be ridden in multiple US regions in a period of a year. Unless a person wanted to also haul around multiple cogs, multiple chain rings, and constantly be changing chain lengths also.

A geared bike, 2x at that with sub compact 46/30 (in this scenario) makes way more sense, as it allows for the throwing on of panniers, in multiple regions, as a grocery shopper / errand bike.

So a gravel bike + SS bike. That combo would have far too many overlaps, and be a waste of Limited space. So make the second bike a SS a 29er hardtail? what is the point? XT 10 speed stuff is dirt cheap and well I already have that with a Custom built XT 10s 1x Giant Talon. And I can tell you right now my 29er hardtail would NEVER be my only bike. I'd rather be restricted on where I ride, than to ride a Flat bar more than 30-40 miles.
Old 09-25-18, 08:33 PM
Happy Feet

Did you even read the first post? Nothing you typed is helpful to the original poster.

I’m not implying anything, I stated clearly and plainly my opinion. Read it again.
Thanks for stating your opinion. I was also stating mine and gave the reasons so how about a little good for the goose eh?
I'll bold that to refresh your memory:

I could do three:

700c endurance road

That's it - final offer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.