Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Mud flaps for minimal clearance between road frame/brake and wheel

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-18, 06:02 PM
diver858

Bikes: Ritchey Breakaway; Motobecane Gran Premio COMP (steel 20 speed road bike); Genesis 20" Folding Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I began riding my Ritchey breakaway as my primary road bike this year, experienced an annoyance after our first rains this fall/winter (Southern California). There is a very small gap between the frame/Ultegra brake and Conty GP 4k tires (approx 2 - 3 mm). After about 5-10 miles on wet roads, the area builds up with mud, other road debris, resulting in an annoying rubbing sound. Due to the small gap, it is also quite difficult to clear. I have been searching the internet for some type of mudflap that might sit behind the caliper, hang down a 1 mm or so, with no success. As the gap between the tire and frame is also quite small, changing the caliper to one with more clearance does not appear to be an option.

Any suggestions?
Old 12-23-18, 06:24 PM
Jakedatc

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Ass Saver. doesn't help people behind you but good for yourself. goes between your saddle rails
Old 12-23-18, 06:27 PM
diver858

Bikes: Ritchey Breakaway; Motobecane Gran Premio COMP (steel 20 speed road bike); Genesis 20" Folding Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jakedatc
Ass Saver. doesn't help people behind you but good for yourself. goes between your saddle rails
Thank you for the response.

Not concerned about my saddle wedge or clothes - trying to avoid build-up of debris between frame/brake caliper and tire.
Old 12-23-18, 06:45 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
Originally Posted by diver858
Thank you for the response.

Not concerned about my saddle wedge or clothes - trying to avoid build-up of debris between frame/brake caliper and tire.
Look at River City Bicycles' hardwear that allows you to cut fenders at the brake and mount the reap portion behind as usual and the front in front of the fork (or seatstay). Designed for just this application. Go to their website.

Ben
Old 12-25-18, 03:09 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
I think what you are saying is the fender unavoidably sits very close to the tire at the brake bridge. No cure for that. Go to a framebuilder and have him move the brake bridge up. If a steel frame this is possible and not that huge a job. If you have a super obliging builder and the frame and paint are not too complex a builder could even do color matching and touchup spray and do it all in an hour or so. Frames designed for fenders are different. If fenders were not thought of before the frame was built these problems always happen.
Old 12-25-18, 05:21 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
A tire wiper may help.
Compass cycles sell them.
It isn't a fender but a wire designed to wipe debris from the tire.
Old 12-26-18, 05:05 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Maybe Crud Racer MK3. They don't require a whole lot of clearance, but 2-3 mill is probably pushing it. Although I was able to mount them on BMC TMR02, and that doesn't have a whole lot of clearance. From pictures of your bike seems like yours has more... What tire width are you running? If it's 25/28, bumping down to 23 might give you that extra clearance.
Old 12-27-18, 12:39 AM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 116 Posts
Bridge the gap with tape. I did a couple thousand miles with a 3m tape bridge between the two sections of race blade fenders fore and aft of the brake caliper. Worked great.