Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Propel electrolyte mix

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Propel electrolyte mix

Old 05-24-19, 12:02 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4388 Post(s)
Liked 4,499 Times in 3,011 Posts
Propel electrolyte mix

Any of you use this to mix with water. I can only drink so many Gatorade Zeros. I mix this with a bottle of water and to me it’s better than drinking syrupy sports drink.
Old 05-24-19, 04:18 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I only drink sports drinks when the amount of sugar in them is meaningless. I've never sat at home on the sofa and cracked open a Gatorade. In the middle of a 3 or 4 hour ride, I couldn't care less about how many calories (or sugar) are in a 20oz bottle of Gatorade.

Never deliberately chosen a Zero-anything in my life. Me and fake sugar, we don't get along.
Old 05-26-19, 05:43 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
You might want to try Ultima Replenisher.

https://www.ultimareplenisher.com/
Old 05-26-19, 01:14 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
How do you keep your glycogen topped up with Gatorade Zero ??... As much as I try to avoid foods with added sugar... a hard long duration ride is one area where I don't mind drinking sports drinks or eating food with added sugar.
Old 05-27-19, 12:52 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Yup, I use the Propel powder in single serving Mylar packets. Carry 'em in my seat bag. I prefer DripDrop ORS packets but those cost much more, $8-$10 per box of 6 or 8 packets, vs $3 for Propel. Propel is good enough for my needs.

I also sometimes carry MiO Mylar packets of energy boosters -- caffeine, B vitamins, sugar, stevia, etc. They're usually cheap at the local Kroger because they had a bunch in damaged boxes.

Sometimes I'll add creatine/BCAA powder from a big container at home, mostly on workout days including PT sessions and bike rides. I don't use creatine every day because it makes me pee more. An embarrassing hassle on a couple of bike rides before I caught on to the reason. Had to make half a dozen pit stops in 20-30 miles. On the plus side, it does seem to help with hard workouts, including interval training on the indoor trainer or nearby outdoor 5 mile circuit, close enough to home that I can dash home for bathroom breaks.
Old 05-31-19, 09:02 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
I looked at the propel nutrient information and it just has some sodium and very little potassium. and some sugar.
You are better off to make your own with salt and creme of tartar (has potassium) and get more for little money and skip the sugar.
Old 05-31-19, 09:56 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Something like Nuun probably has a better sodium / potassium balance (though it varies by variety).

Completely agree with those who say the sugar is justified, especially when it's hot and you're pushing hills, though I actually add an electrolyte tablet to it ordinary sports drinks bottles or powder. I'll taper off to just an electrolyte supplement late in the day, and just water pre-ride and at the end. Or if I'm only out for a couple of hours. Ultimately you learn what your body needs, if water is making you sick, you need to supplement it. Same if you're getting leg cramps.

That said a really nice hot day at home drink is a pinch of table salt, a pinch of potassium salt substitute and a spoonful of red wine vinegar, then fill the glass with cold water.

Last edited by UniChris; 05-31-19 at 10:00 PM.
Old 06-01-19, 08:41 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4388 Post(s)
Liked 4,499 Times in 3,011 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
How do you keep your glycogen topped up with Gatorade Zero ??... As much as I try to avoid foods with added sugar... a hard long duration ride is one area where I don't mind drinking sports drinks or eating food with added sugar.
Cliff Bars, Ritz crackers and tortillas.
Old 06-04-19, 11:59 AM
zowie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Potato chips, which I won't indulge in otherwise, are excellent when it's hot. Sodium, potassium, plus of course carbs. Check the package - nutrition varies with brand/variety.

Hard boiled eggs with salt + banana is good too.

I drink water or iced tea with them.

I didn't see any special benefits from powders and sports drinks (for me) after trying them for years, and usually the taste is not so great plus it's one more thing to have to plan out for a ride.
Old 06-04-19, 03:37 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by zowie
Potato chips, which I won't indulge in otherwise, are excellent when it's hot. Sodium, potassium, plus of course carbs. Check the package - nutrition varies with brand/variety.

Hard boiled eggs with salt + banana is good too.

I drink water or iced tea with them.

I didn't see any special benefits from powders and sports drinks (for me) after trying them for years, and usually the taste is not so great plus it's one more thing to have to plan out for a ride.
Careful with potato chips, while the have a lot of sodium, the chloride that comes with them is counterproductive.
Old 06-04-19, 05:38 PM
zowie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
Careful with potato chips, while the have a lot of sodium, the chloride that comes with them is counterproductive.
Not sure that's correct. I think chloride is another electrolyte you need to maintain.
Old 06-04-19, 05:48 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by zowie
Not sure that's correct. I think chloride is another electrolyte you need to maintain.
You're right, I misremembered. Excess sodium(Na) is the problem