Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Riding a bike after a 40mph crash

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-11-19, 03:07 PM
Caad12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Just curious how safe would you feel riding an aluminum frame bike with a carbon fork that was involved in a high speed crash (40 mph)?

I cannot tell if the frame is bent or the damage on the carbon fork. I have heard horror stories of carbon failing after crashes and I no longer trust the frame or fork. I do not want to ride and I certainly do not feel comfortable giving it to someone else. I would love to know the groups thoughts continuing to use this bike.

Thanks
Old 06-11-19, 03:15 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
That's a pretty high-speed crash., but I suppose it depends on how the crash occurred and what kind of impact the frame/fork actually took. There may be damage to the frame/fork that you cannot see, but are nonetheless there. No way to tell without specialized equipment. If it were me I wouldn't be comfortable riding it, and even less so giving it to someone else to ride.
Likes For mcours2006:
Old 06-11-19, 04:29 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
I think you already answered your question. If you don’t trust it then don’t ride it.
Likes For spelger:
Old 06-11-19, 04:42 PM
Caad12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks - just wanted to make sure I wasn't overreacting
Old 06-11-19, 04:56 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18347 Post(s)
Liked 4,497 Times in 3,344 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
That's a pretty high-speed crash., but I suppose it depends on how the crash occurred and what kind of impact the frame/fork actually took.
I think that would be my first question.

Running into something solid like a car pulling out in front of you could be a cause for significant concern.

On the other hand, a bike sliding out from under one on a corner might be less worrysome, and one might go by the actual condition of the bike.

Anything else would lie somewhere in the middle between the two extremes.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 06-11-19, 05:08 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
I'd get rid of the fork. If the frame rode straight and true and close examination revealed no sign of damage, I wouldn't worry about riding it. Unless it was a frame I didn't care for all that much, in which case I'd appreciate the excuse to get a new bike.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 06-11-19, 05:18 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by Caad12
Thanks - just wanted to make sure I wasn't overreacting.
Originally Posted by Caad12
Thanks - just wanted to make sure I wasn't overreacting
This, is overreacting...
Old 06-11-19, 05:27 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
I wouldn't ride it.
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 06-11-19, 06:49 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
I'm glad to hear that the OP is well enough after a 40 mph crash to ride again. Not sure I would be.

I'd be leery of the bike, simply because I probably would not really be able to say exactly what happened to it during the crash, I'd be focused on my own impending death.
Likes For jimincalif:
Old 06-11-19, 07:04 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
40 mph? I'm going out on a limb here and guessing that a hill was involved.

I'm thinking it would also be rather difficult to rule out a blow to the fork even if it didn't happen on the initial collision, at that speed I have to figure bike and rider bounced around quite a bit.

I agree with trashing the fork, and assessing the frame.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-11-19, 09:56 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
What you’ve got here is a great reason to buy another bike.

Craigslist the crashed frame... low miles... barely ridden... super stiff... fast... a couple of minor scratches to the paint, nothing major.

-Kedosto
Likes For Kedosto:
Old 06-11-19, 10:02 PM
Dr.Lou

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
I'd get rid of the fork. If the frame rode straight and true and close examination revealed no sign of damage, I wouldn't worry about riding it. Unless it was a frame I didn't care for all that much, in which case I'd appreciate the excuse to get a new bike.
^^^^^^
this
Likes For Dr.Lou:
Old 06-11-19, 10:09 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
perfect trainer bike
Likes For aclinjury:
Old 06-11-19, 10:26 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Kedosto
Craigslist the crashed frame... low miles... barely ridden... super stiff... fast... a couple of minor scratches to the paint, nothing major.

Hopefully that was meant to be a joke. If the OP isn't willing to ride the frame, then either trash it, give it away, or sell it with full disclosures (and hope the buyer is responsible).
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 06-12-19, 01:21 AM
mattleegee

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
strip components and mount the frame on wall

"Survived 40mph crash"

We know a thing or two because we have seen a thing or two
Likes For mattleegee:
Old 06-12-19, 07:29 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Originally Posted by CliffordK

Hopefully that was meant to be a joke. If the OP isn't willing to ride the frame, then either trash it, give it away, or sell it with full disclosures (and hope the buyer is responsible).
Of course it’s a joke. I wouldn’t even give it away.

The frame’s recyclable. Depending on the receiver, it might need to be cut into small sections, but it’ll go in with the empty beer cans.

-Kedosto
*been there, done that*
Likes For Kedosto:
Old 06-12-19, 07:35 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
crash sounds amazing. what happened?
Old 06-12-19, 09:27 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Lets please be objective.

Everyone seems to be reacting to the number 40 as if there is some arbitrary speed above which a crash guarantees the bike is no longer safe.

Clearly a bike is more likely to be damaged in a higher speed crash than lower but the speed of the crash alone tells us little about the condition of the bike.

The OP has not told us whether the bike was run over by a semi-truck or if it coasted to a stop in a corn field.

The right thing to do is take it apart and inspect it. If it is sound then ride it. If not then recycle it. This is true regardless of the speed of the crash.

-Tim-
Old 06-12-19, 09:36 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 520 Posts
Many years ago I crashed a motorcycle on the freeway at an exit. I was inexperienced (2 months in) and when I saw my exit approaching I needed to get over one more lane which was blocked by traffic. Long story short, I dithered about whether to just blow it off and take the next exit and when I finally had clearance to scoot over I had a LOT of speed to dump really fast. Classic highside. Let's say I had been going 65 when I started late braking. I'm figuring I was probably doing 40 when I lost traction and was flung off the bike trying to turn off into the exit lane. There was guardrail that my body cleared, but my bike did not. BOOM. I was sliding on my back and side and then hit grass and started to tumble like a sock puppet in a front loading clothes dryer. When I finally stopped tumbling I realized a driver had been following me in his car. Good thing because we needed to DRIVE back to the accident site. It was that far!! I did not have a single broken bone but my clothes were shredded and I had been wearing leathers. I had extensive road rash. Ouch. The bike was history. A salvage company took it. Gave me $600 for a brand new $3000 bike (1980 dollars). I think the o.p. either way overestimates how fast he was going, or way overestimates how fast he was going. It wouldn't be possible to survive something like a 40mph bike crash and not share the story and have questions only about the future of the bicycle.
Old 06-12-19, 10:18 AM
CliffordK

@Leisesturm, Good point that one can dump speed quickly, so if one sees a car pull out in front, one might drop from 40 to 20 in a second. Perhaps even slower.

On the other hand, if a draft line goes down, it could potentially go down quickly.

The ultimate answer will depend on the stresses put on the frame, which we can't answer without knowing more details of the accident.

If it looks like the bike slid for most of the deceleration, it may well be fine. But, where is the road rash?
Old 06-12-19, 12:24 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Lets please be objective.

Everyone seems to be reacting to the number 40 as if there is some arbitrary speed above which a crash guarantees the bike is no longer safe.

Clearly a bike is more likely to be damaged in a higher speed crash than lower but the speed of the crash alone tells us little about the condition of the bike.

The OP has not told us whether the bike was run over by a semi-truck or if it coasted to a stop in a corn field.

The right thing to do is take it apart and inspect it. If it is sound then ride it. If not then recycle it. This is true regardless of the speed of the crash.

-Tim-
I get your point. And you're correct in that none of the details have been described, so it's quite possible the bike is fully serviceable. But I've been through a couple of big crashes in my life and - for me - every high speed tick, bump, or wobble (real or imagined) has had me in a panic brake with a full frame inspection right there at the curb. Inverted bike, weld inspections... the whole bit. I'm just too damned paranoid and when one considers the almost unbeatable excuse for at least a new frame, well, time to start shopping. But that's just me.

Edit: One other consideration is how the bike/frame would be used. Low speed tootling around the neighborhood? Farmers market run with the family? Check it out for obvious signs of damage and if it's all good then run it. Spirited group ride? High speed stuff? Nope. Never again. I wouldn't care how nice it looks.

-Kedosto

Last edited by Kedosto; 06-12-19 at 12:41 PM.
Old 06-12-19, 12:34 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
More details would definitely be helpful.

I'd inspect the frame very carefully, looking for any signs of stress. Likewise with the fork. Personally, I'd be inclined to replace the fork and ride the frame, if everything looks okay. It's also possible that it would be only mildly more expensive to replace the whole frame and fork, in which case there's no reason to ride something that's been crashed.
Old 06-12-19, 12:40 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
I would ride it like I stole it.
Old 06-12-19, 01:17 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Finish line sprint from behind your team member ?
Old 06-12-19, 01:26 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
I get your point. And you're correct in that none of the details have been described, so it's quite possible the bike is fully serviceable. But I've been through a couple of big crashes in my life and - for me - every high speed tick, bump, or wobble (real or imagined) has had me in a panic brake with a full frame inspection right there at the curb. Inverted bike, weld inspections... the whole bit. I'm just too damned paranoid and when one considers the almost unbeatable excuse for at least a new frame, well, time to start shopping. But that's just me.

Edit: One other consideration is how the bike/frame would be used. Low speed tootling around the neighborhood? Farmers market run with the family? Check it out for obvious signs of damage and if it's all good then run it. Spirited group ride? High speed stuff? Nope. Never again. I wouldn't care how nice it looks.

-Kedosto
Right. I'm with you 100% on this.

Everyone has to be governed by their own willingness to ride any given piece of equipment. If there is no confidence in the part then it goes in the trash. It may not even be rational. Just a bad memory of a crash is enough to not want to ride a frame ever again.

I've thrown out tires for this reason while others say that they are perfectly good.

-Tim-

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.