Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I don't think I like physically separated bike lanes.

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-04-19, 09:01 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts

They sound like a great idea, and I'm sure they give a lot of cyclists confidence to ride in the street.

I just got back from a ride, there was a new bike lane on a road I haven't been on in a couple years. Separated from auto traffic by plastic rods every few feet. Coming down a hill, there was a shopping cart laying diagonally across the lane.
Old 07-04-19, 09:06 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Not a huge fan either tbh.
Old 07-04-19, 09:07 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Yeah, nah. Bugger that. I'm not sure I'm even down with bike lanes - look at the fun they have with them in NYC.
Old 07-04-19, 09:35 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Bike lanes on a downhill are stupid.
Likes For colnago62:
Old 07-04-19, 10:17 PM
Dean V

Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
I have ridden on them in the Netherlands and they are excellent.
You need to watch out for slower moving commuters but still much better than the alternative of riding on the street with cars in any quantity.
Likes For Dean V:
Old 07-04-19, 10:47 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by colnago62
Bike lanes on a downhill are stupid.
You're in Sea Town, right? This was coming down Dearborn toward the ID.
Old 07-04-19, 11:32 PM
colnago62

Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
You're in Sea Town, right? This was coming down Dearborn toward the ID.
That is an especially stupid place. Never had a problem on that street ever. I think the city uses bike lanes as an excuse to narrow and eliminate lanes to slow motorized vehicle traffic down.
Old 07-05-19, 01:31 AM
Hmmm

Bikes: TCX & CAAD3 SAECO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 66 Posts
I think it can depend, but most often I avoid them. Here in Paris they have separated bus/taxi/bike lanes on some of the larger boulevards. Those are nice as they give you some room to move around in.

I see the narrower bike only protected lanes better suited for commuters. But yeah. I avoid them.
Likes For Hmmm:
Old 07-05-19, 04:35 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
i personally find them to be a false sense of security unless they're of a decent length (5 miles +). generally prefer traffic calming measures such
as traffic circles, bot dots, narrower streets, speed humps, backing-into parking and proper signage. anything that forces automatic transmission
auto drivers to (re)evaluate the situation and increase awareness...
Likes For diphthong:
Old 07-05-19, 05:34 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
They sound like a great idea, and I'm sure they give a lot of cyclists confidence to ride in the street.

I just got back from a ride, there was a new bike lane on a road I haven't been on in a couple years. Separated from auto traffic by plastic rods every few feet. Coming down a hill, there was a shopping cart laying diagonally across the lane.
Sorry, but not sure I see the causality between a separated bike lane and a shopping cart being where it wasn't supposed to be?
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 07-05-19, 06:38 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Sorry, but not sure I see the causality between a separated bike lane and a shopping cart being where it wasn't supposed to be?
I don't think any causality was implied and the point was that large, lane-blocking debris like a shopping cart is difficult/impossible to safely avoid in a protected bike lane where barriers prohibit cyclists from leaving it to enter a different lane.
Old 07-05-19, 06:41 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Eh, I like them. Its easier to walk around a shopping cart than out from underneath a car.
Likes For Abe_Froman:
Old 07-05-19, 06:43 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau
I don't think any causality was implied and the point was that large, lane-blocking debris like a shopping cart is difficult/impossible to safely avoid in a protected bike lane where barriers prohibit cyclists from leaving it to enter a different lane.
Oh ok.. but then I suppose it helps spur cyclists to stop and clear the bike lane whereas with an easier means to circumvent everyone just leaves the crap where it was.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 07-05-19, 06:51 AM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
I agree. They are all the rage here. But its not just a bike lane between a curb and some sort of traffic island or bollards. They are moving parking lanes out from the curb and then wedging the bike lane between parked cars and curb so the parked cars in effect create a barrier between traffic and cyclists. Some people feel safer this way, but I feel my field of view is compromised, I am invisible to traffic, pedestrians are always stepping into the lane, and there is no where to go if something like a shopping cart or other debris is in the way. Much prefer keeping parking against the curb and just creating a bike lane with painted hashed buffer to create additional separation between bike lane and traffic as in the pic. Room to ride with options to escape trouble or debris if needed.

Likes For DOS:
Old 07-05-19, 07:10 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
It depends on the situation and the rider.

High speed with potential cross traffic? Id rather move along within the traffic, but many people are too inexperienced to ride like that.

But if it encourages less experienced riders to ride more often, then the lanes can be beneficial.
Old 07-05-19, 07:20 AM
Jasper Storm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I hate them, too.

They make pretty good barriers to street sweepers, though.
Likes For Jasper Storm:
Old 07-05-19, 07:28 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I don't even like unprotected bike lanes, especially when people are allowed to park in them, what's the point?

I generally ignore the road markings and just ride where it's safe, which is usually about a foot to the right of the marked bike lane. The way bike lanes often terminate suddenly and without warning has "trained" me to just use common sense and pay no attention at all to them.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 07-05-19, 08:58 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 941 Posts
That is an especially stupid place. Never had a problem on that street ever. I think the city uses bike lanes as an excuse to narrow and eliminate lanes to slow motorized vehicle traffic down.
The emerald city also divided lanes on Government Way/Gilman and put them on one side of the street which places a thin bike lane in the middle of coming traffic of the car lane and the the other bike lane creating a more dangerous daily ride. Its now unsafe at the intersections the drivers have to more cautious.

I ride at Sunday rider speed and had a speedy pass me on the left, a driver taking a right turn just about tagged speedy. They created a problem when no fix was needed. This street had bike lanes and parking on both sides of the way. This also changed the trafficking in that now a special light is needed for the bikes, which also takes away the right on red. Those changes expensive, dangerous, creates traffic jams, and takes away a bunch of parking. (I'm a little ok on the parking being taken away mainly because it was mainly criminal smack addicts parking leaving trash/craps all over the place)

The Dearborn changes why the hell did they do that? I guess the city wants massive traffic jams on Raineer Avenue, maybe the city wants everyone passing by to slowly appreciate the art-mountains of garbage- created the masses of those that live, "In the Jungle"

The same was also done on Roosevelt Way at Northgate.
Old 07-05-19, 10:05 AM
Seattle Forrest

The only problem you could have there is someone pulling in from a side street right in front of you. And now you have less room to maneuver. I've already taken Dearborn coming back from Beacon, through Judkins Park. I'll probably stay coming down 15th instead, over that bridge.

That's exactly why they're doing it. We have two kinds of drivers here, the ones who go 10 under the speed limit and the ones who go 15 over. Bad combination.
Old 07-05-19, 10:09 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Totally separate two way are a hazard. They are often not swept. They invite skaters, walkers, runners and other sporty cyclist coming at you the opposite direction closing speed 40mph.

Separate with traffic I like. Provided a street sweeper can get in. When they have the big dot dividers that a car could drive over, but no one wants to, provides a pretty niche path.

Since we are naming places - Dana Point Coast Hwy between Beach Road and Pico is bad to San Clement is such a hazard. A runner was killed by a drunk driver a decade or so ago. So DP, put these cement barriers isolating the path.
This is very busy MUP with the headphone on swerving pedestrians and cruisers and opposing traffic. I don't know the medical statistics for this section, but I can't think things are good. I tend to ride on the coast highway side with cars.
Old 07-05-19, 10:31 AM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
Did you stop and move the shopping cart out of the way?
Likes For RJM:
Old 07-05-19, 10:38 AM
Seattle Forrest

I didn't move the shopping cart, no. Bad Forrest! This was under a bridge, the only places to put it would have been the sidewalk or the traffic lane.
Old 07-05-19, 10:45 AM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
I like bike lanes because I'm tired of riding not he sidewalk
Old 07-05-19, 10:47 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4742 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
Originally Posted by RJM
Did you stop and move the shopping cart out of the way?
This is the Road Cycling forum. Road cyclists don't do that. They complain and leave that job to lesser folk.

I wear two hats. Sometimes the old ex-racer in training mode, sometimes as a responsible commuter who stops to clear branches and rocks. (On a hillside, treed commute used by hundreds I have noticed rocks and branches can stay for days. Silent comment on the local humanity.

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 07-05-19, 12:39 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 1,122 Times in 482 Posts
Originally Posted by Hmmm
I think it can depend, but most often I avoid them. Here in Paris they have separated bus/taxi/bike lanes on some of the larger boulevards. Those are nice as they give you some room to move around in.

I see the narrower bike only protected lanes better suited for commuters. But yeah. I avoid them.
Moi aussi. I find the narrower ones trap you from easily escaping the inevitable obstruction. When the lanes are to the right of parked cars, you have to watch for errant pedestrians on one side and emerging car passengers on the other. Sometimes they switch from one side of the street to the other. It's almost always easier just to ride in the street.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.