spingineer
Spinning like a gerbel

Bikes: Seven

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Ok, what did you buy???

So I'm stealing this idea from George, in SoCal ... it's a cool thread, and we need one in here.

What did you recently buy? Show it off here.

My Cycling Blog
Old 08-20-07, 09:44 PM
damnpoor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently bought a new Fizik saddle, but it's not showing up till tomorrow. I bought some pants today too, but I doubt you want to see a picture of them.
Old 08-20-07, 09:47 PM
kster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last week I purchased the best tail light available:
https://www.dinottelighting.com/DiNot...Tail_Light.htm

Now, I'm just afraid I'll blind passing cars.

Old 08-20-07, 09:51 PM
sj_roadie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
kster, when you get that mounted up, do post up a pic of it in action. I'm curious and since winter seems to be approaching fast I need to add a headlight and taillight to my commuter. The above pic is impressive, but would like to see real world pics too...
Old 08-20-07, 09:54 PM
twocoasttb

Bikes: Seven Axiom SG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a $21 indestructable seatpost to replace my latest failure (a Specialized something-or-other) which gave out coming down Mt. Hamilton last week. I've gone through two Easton EC-90 seatposts this year- the first exploded spectacularly when I was descending out of Foxen Canyon at the Solvang Century (ride over at mile 85); the second stopped maintaining its seat pitch when the plastic teeth got stripped (probably my fault). The Specialized turns out to have a spectacularly bad design and also stopped maintaining its seat pitch. I'd like to get a Thompson; I hear they're both light and indestructable.
Old 08-20-07, 09:56 PM
spingineer
Spinning like a gerbel

Bikes: Seven

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Wow, cool kster ... I'll have to check it out. Nothing I like better than to shock cars with how brightly lit I am ... you can never have too many lights. When I was double training, I had handlebar blinkies, another one under my saddle bag, a pair that wraps around my ankles, and another one at the back of my helmet. Much better to be seen, than not be seen!

My Cycling Blog
Old 08-20-07, 09:56 PM
kster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sj_roadie, I can post a pic in a day or two but I'm using this mounting bracket:
https://www.terracycle.com/Merchant2/...uct_Code=accmt
Old 08-20-07, 10:03 PM
SesameCrunch
Eschew Obfuscation

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Professional, 2002 Lemond Zurich, Folders - Strida, Merc, Dahon, Downtube, Recumbent folder

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought not one, but two, folding bikes last week off Craigslist. I'm a bit of a folding bike nut.

First one is a 2003 Dahon Speed Pro. It's a fast folder, features SRAM Dual Drive hub transmission. Real cool.

The other is a 2006 Merc, it's a clone of the Brompton - best British folder there is. Folds into a suitcase.

I'm selling one of my existing folder, just to make room ....
Old 08-20-07, 10:07 PM
jonathanb715

Bikes: Kestrel Talon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No pics yet, but I just bought an Acura TSX - 2007, black with tan (ok, they call it parchment) leather interior. The only option is navigation, which I turned down. It's a pretty neat car - the 4 cylinder engine is smooth and makes nice noises, the 6 spd. shifts with typical Honda feel, although I still manage to shift into 4th instead of 6th on a regular basis, and the suspension tuning, while softer than I'm used to, is still firm enough to be capable when I want to play. The engine does have VTEC, and really comes to life above 6,000rpm (my old Alfa felt the same when it came on cam), but that doesn't really help much most of the time. The rest of the time, it is good but not great - but it is good enough.

It also comes fully loaded - leather, bun warmers, mirror de-icers, sunroof, bluetooth speakerphone, XM radio, decent sized wheels and tires (unlike my old Acura Integra, where the first thing I did was call Tire Rack and replace the incredibly undersized wheels and tires). It drives nice, quiet on the highway but with a nice growl when I'm pushing it, rides far better than my old Mazda Protege (which in the end didn't go hummmmm, it went "Boom!") and generally is just a nice car to be in. Not bad at all.

Of course, I then needed a new bike rack - the old Saris Bones didn't fit (believe it or not, the panel gaps are too small between the trunk lid and the fenders to work with the straps). I was torn between a roof rack or a hitch mount. The final cost to carry 2 bikes would be close, since I needed to buy either a hitch or the cross bars - the ease of also carrying skis meant I now have a Yakima roof rack.

An expensive month!

JB
Old 08-20-07, 10:10 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Recently?

Some new shoes:

And some new bars:

Old 08-20-07, 10:12 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 901 Posts
My very first pair of clipless shoes (yesss---thoseareclipless/platformpedalsthere), a couple of those insulated bottles that everyone is now telling me are bogus and some Pearl Izumi gloves that I found out will be falling apart soon according to everyone who has them.

*sigh*

Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 08-20-07, 10:19 PM
jonathanb715

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
My very first pair of clipless shoes (yesss---thoseareclipless/platformpedalsthere), a couple of those insulated bottles that everyone is now telling me are bogus and some Pearl Izumi gloves that I found out will be falling apart soon according to everyone who has them.

*sigh*
The insulated bottles are bogus?!! And no one told me? I've been using mine for the last few months, and they're great. They will keep stuff colder longer than non-insulated ones. Not like a thermos, but put some ice in the water and it will still be cold 2 hours later, even on a hot day. That's all I need.

JB
Old 08-20-07, 10:26 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Really?? Are yours the Polar kind? I haven't tried them yet but my friend was saying they don't keep it cold THAT long and on another thread everyone was bashing them!

Thank you, you are giving me hope. I really didn't want to think I wasted my money.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 08-20-07, 10:42 PM
hammern_frank

Bikes: Trek Domane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a wedgie..I dug deep and found $16 to splurge on this luxury item this morning. The description on the website says you can carry two tubes plus other essentials. One tube seems to be more accurate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
07BagMiniWedgie_l.jpg (70.2 KB, 34 views)
Old 08-20-07, 10:48 PM
jonathanb715

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Really?? Are yours the Polar kind? I haven't tried them yet but my friend was saying they don't keep it cold THAT long and on another thread everyone was bashing them!

Thank you, you are giving me hope. I really didn't want to think I wasted my money.
Yup, mine are the polar ones. I've used them on some brutal days, too - we were doing Mt. Diablo repeats on the day it hit 108 in the shade at the junction ranger station, and it was pushing 100 on the day we did Mt. Hamilton and Sierra Road. It really is nice to grab your bottle and get a swig of something cold (or at least cool) when it's that hot.

JB
Old 08-20-07, 11:05 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Great, Jonathan! I feel better now! I'll be taking the bike to Tahoe in a couple of days and plan on being ready for it.
Old 08-20-07, 11:07 PM
mtnwalker

Bikes: '84 Centurion Accordo RS, '06 Gary Fisher Marlin, '06 Schwinn Fastback 27, '06 Litespeed Teramo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yup, those polar bottles are great. Here's what I do with mine to keep it cold longer. I fill up the bottles a quarter of water. I then place that bottle in the freezer angled on its side the night before any ride. Fill it up with water the next day and you are good to go with a cold drink for at least 2 hours. For the really hot days, 90 and above, I fill it a third of the way and the ice lasts for the same duration.
Old 08-20-07, 11:22 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Good idea, mtnwalker! I'm gonna try that. Thanks
Old 08-20-07, 11:37 PM
alainp

Bikes: '07 Look 585 Ultra, '07 Trek Madone SL 5.2, '06 Marin Pine Mountain MTB, '23 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I too can vouch for the polar bottles. Well worth the extra dough over the noninsulated bottles.
Old 08-20-07, 11:41 PM
jonathanb715

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
By the way, the polar bottles will stand up just fine to being washed in the dishwasher - just turn off the heated drying cycle.

JB
Old 08-20-07, 11:43 PM
alainp

Bikes: '07 Look 585 Ultra, '07 Trek Madone SL 5.2, '06 Marin Pine Mountain MTB, '23 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got a Thompson seatpost for the road bike based on a bunch of suggestions.
Liked it so much I got one for the mtb too.
Old 08-20-07, 11:53 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Alain, please excuse my naivete but what is the big fuss over Thomson? I mean, is there that much of a difference between that and a Ritchey or Salsa? Not a sarcastic trolling question here. I honestly want to learn please.
Old 08-21-07, 12:06 AM
alainp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alain, please excuse my naivete but what is the big fuss over Thomson? I mean, is there that much of a difference between that and a Ritchey or Salsa? Not a sarcastic trolling question here. I honestly want to learn please.
I just like how rigid they feel. I had a Bontrager carbon on the roadie which felt too flexible. The carbon FSA on the mtb seemed week, especially when it creaked a lot. Very annoying . Haven't tried any other seatposts but the Thomsons are pretty cheap (both on ebay-one new one used) compared to some of the other ones out there. Plus, I like the look... clean and simple and, although I'm not a weight weanie, they're very light .
Old 08-21-07, 12:09 AM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Oh I see. Thank you! I have never tried a Thomson so I really cannot compare. Maybe one day I will though. And as for carbon posts, they scare me.
Old 08-21-07, 12:15 AM
alainp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And as for carbon posts, they scare me.
I haven't done the research yet but I have read some references to carbon going KABOOM!!! Don't know where that came from but I'd like to see some video footage myself .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.