Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

New bicycle advise

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

New bicycle advise

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-07, 09:19 AM
Firemarshal Bil

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New bicycle advise

Good morning. I'm new to this forum and hope some of you out there will be able to give me some advice. We adopted our son when he was five years old (he's 30 now) after he had been physically abused by his parents. Due to this abuse, he suffered some brain damage and he currently functions at the level of a 12 or 13 year old. He lives in an apartment we built for him in our home and he does "okay" on his own, though he still needs a lot of parental supervision. He will never be able to drive a car, but he rides his bicycle everywhere around town and works a few days a week at a local pizza chain, many times coming home in the dark.

The problem is, someone stole his bicycle a few days ago and we need to help him replace it. His stolen bike was a 10-speed "mountain" bike, but he never used more than 2 or 3 of the gears. What he needs is a simple, relatively heavy duty (he weighs 215 pounds) bike with perhaps 5 speeds and ease of maintenance. It should also have a front light and rear marker light, as well as fenders of some sort as he rides in any kind of weather. He has about $250 in savings. I would appreciate any suggestions you might have. Thanks!

Firemarshal Bill
Oak Harbor, WA
Old 08-31-07, 09:38 AM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Worksman cycle?

https://www.worksman.com/industrialbikes.html

I don't know how much they run, but I've heard that they are relatively inexpensive. They can come in trikes, too.

That's terrible that someone would steal his bike--bad karma to them!

Welcome to Bike Forums from a neighbour in the Pacific Northwest...

East Hill