Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anybody know the history of Ross bikes?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Anybody know the history of Ross bikes?

Old 09-27-06, 09:37 PM
duane041
Junk Collector

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Circuit, 2012 Colnago M10, 1990 Schwinn CrissCross

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The 290S was Ross' lowest-priced highline bike (does that make sense??). The frames were very well made, using Ishiwata tubing (although without knowing which year the bike is, it may not be Ishiwata). Should be a very enjoyable commuter, just like my 292S.
Old 09-28-06, 04:14 AM
McDave

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Duane, did you ever contact Sherwood and get any info out of him? It sure would be nice to find out more about the heritage, product line, and maybe get ahold of some old brochures.
Old 09-28-06, 06:18 AM
duane041
Junk Collector

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Circuit, 2012 Colnago M10, 1990 Schwinn CrissCross

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I did, but he is currently out at the Interbike Show, and said he would respond to my questions when he returned at the beginning of October. I'll keep you posted.
Old 09-30-06, 12:20 PM
nycballer0591
original bike rider

Bikes: huffy tempas 26" MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm planning on getting a Ross MT.Snow tomorrow i will post pics. I can't find any info on it and i'm lucky i found this thread.
Old 09-30-06, 10:53 PM
nycballer0591
original bike rider

Bikes: huffy tempas 26" MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
doesn't anyone care about ross bikes anymore ? Any Info on the MT.Snow ?
Old 11-09-06, 12:45 PM
Jeffluke

Bikes: 1973 Paramount P15 1973 Paramount Touring Tandem 1985 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra 1980 Fuji The Finest 1987 Carla Gialma 1986 Ross 294S 1954 Schwinn Jaguar MK II 1997 Bianchi Campione De Italia 1978 Raleigh Professional 1988 Cannondale 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the same Ross signature 294s w/all campy and Rigida 1320's, I purchased it from the original owner and he provided me the original invoice/owners manual for $485.00, dated 1986, probably a leftover 85, or one of the last of that series of bikes, oddly enough the original rims and tires were taken off shortly after purchase and are in very good condition, an aditional set of low flange campy road wheels were used, very low mile bike, a very sweet riding bike, I much prefer riding it as I am getting back into riding and have a few older racers of the era.
Old 11-09-06, 02:38 PM
DMF 
Elitist Troglodyte

Bikes: 03 Raleigh Professional (steel)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a Ross Mt. Rushmore vintage about 1993. Weighs about 33 lbs and is set up as a hybrid with Shimano Tourney components. 6-speed freewheel and triple crankset (though I can find no indication that Shimano produced it). The rear shifter has 7 detents so it may handle a 7-speed freewheel. Fully chromed frame that is holding up quite well.

It was a Christmas present and I doubt power-shopping wife spent much over $100.

- Will Rogers
Old 12-17-06, 09:47 PM
Lgoldbrg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anrew, Hi my name is Larry Goldberg and I happened on this thread trying to find out the whereabouts of Randy & Candy Ross. I attende summer camp with them in the late 60's. We are trying to organize a reunion. Strange that my next door neighbor is Alan Goldmeier of Rand Bikes. Any info you can provide would be appreciated.
Old 03-17-07, 11:13 PM
10speed
beater bike addict

Bikes: 3schwinn2ross,puchAD,Raleighreliant,PugUE8,panasonicspecHR,sig djerba others

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
signiture bike ?

Last fall I purchaced several bikes at a local police bike auction (21). In the collection I bought alot of unusual bikes. One I'm having alot of difficulty finding any info on.It is a Signature bike called Djerba. The headbadge has a palm tree desert scene with the djerba name on it.All I know is this is the name belongs to a city on an island near northern Africa where a major bike race is held. Any info you have would be appreciated. thank you. Just on a side note I also own 2 other Rosses in my collection;a 26"compact(a heavy little booger, but well built) and a beautiful black grand tour II, a marvelous dream of bicycle genius. It rides like a whisper and is just a little heavier than a fart! A vintage mans dream bike,it cost me $50 and 2 fishing poles!
Old 05-05-07, 08:17 PM
tpelle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow! Lots of good info here!

I have a Ross Gran Eurosport that I bought new back in the '70's. It hasn't been ridden much for the last 25 years, and has spent most of that time hanging from a hook out in my barn. I got it out a couple of years ago, and found that the tires and tubes (27 x 1-1/4) wouldn't hold air - dry rotted - and hung it back up.

Just yesterday I got it out and bought two new tires and tubes at the bike shop, cleaned her up, squirted a little EB-Blaster on the works, and rode her about 4 miles today. This was the first bike ride in a quarter of a century for both of us, and we were both a little creaky.

This bike has the tempered lug frame, and on the rear of the frame at the hangars for the real wheel it's stamped "Chain Bike Corp". The bike has the old round Ross logo on the frame head, and it's painted white. All of the running gear is Shimano.

The bike seemed to ride pretty well, but I've got to take the wheels and crank off and grease the bearings. Paint is still pretty good, just a little rust at the top of the seat tube. The frame had cracked years ago at the top of the tube where the seat post is split, and I had had it welded. Otherwise no real damage or wear and tear. Still has the Ross-marked saddle in good shape (lucky the mice haven't eaten it!).

I noticed that all of the un-finished aluminum parts, like the brake levers, stem, shifters, etc. are sort of oxydized and pitted - I'd like to clean it up.

I'm 54 years old, and although I've been walking a lot for exercise I need to do something a little more aerobic. I'm getting a new Trek mountain bike, but if I get the old Ross fixed up I may ride that too!
Old 06-11-07, 12:34 PM
SCRAPHOUND

Bikes: ROSS DIAMOND CRUISER 186

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone Know Or Hear Of A Ross Diamond Cruiser 186?? Bought This Bike New In The Early 80's And For Sure It Wasn't Cheep. Its A Great Cruiser And Still Rides Like A Champ. Does Anyone Own One Or Have Info On It??
Old 06-11-07, 01:29 PM
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
https://www.airfreetires.com/Specs/Step3.asp?model=Diamond+Cruiser&brand=Ross
Compare what's on your bike to the spec sheets, that will tell you the year.

Got a pic? I loves me some Ross's
Old 06-11-07, 03:53 PM
McDave

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SCRAPHOUND
Anyone Know Or Hear Of A Ross Diamond Cruiser 186?? Bought This Bike New In The Early 80's And For Sure It Wasn't Cheep. Its A Great Cruiser And Still Rides Like A Champ. Does Anyone Own One Or Have Info On It??
In 1981 the Diamond Cruiser came in one size and one color, men's 21" in black. The price written in my catalog is $174.95. I don't know if that's retail or what the bike shop was charging for them.

Wheel/Tire size: 26x2.125 Gumwall - 36 x 105 spokes
Braking System: Alloy side-pull caliper
Gears: 5sp dérailleur w/stem shifter 14 - 28T cluster
Crankset: One piece 6 1/2" hot forged 48T

The 1984 catalog shows the Black basic model plus a 'deluxe' Concord Blue model with chrome fenders. Sizes were men's 21" and 23", plus ladies 19".
Frame is 1020 steel
Shifter: 5 sp thumb
Brakes: Alloy side pull
Cluster" 14 - 32
Crankset: 46T
Stem: Ross 4 bolt
Handlebar: Cruiser ('81 had risers)
Hubs: Heavy duty BMX
Rims: Heavy duty steel
Same tires
Cushion grips
Sorry, no prices in this catalog
Old 06-20-07, 10:06 PM
ParkRNDL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Stacey
Hi Adam, thanks for posting and welcome aboard. I have an old Barracuda (think Sting-Ray) in pieces and I have most of the parts, save for seat, bars & wheels. PM me if you're interested. I'm in upper Bucks Co. PA. If you're still in the Allentown area you could drive by and pick it up... freebie. One of the rear dropouts is stamped 'Chain Bike Co.'

Any info on BCA, Bicycle Corporation of America? I've heard there was a Ross tie-in there, as the BCA bikes have an Allentown origin as well.

It's cool to 'talk' with someone closely associated with a piece of local lore.
Hey, I know this thread is forever old, but I was surfing around looking for Ross info and this thread (and this post in particular) caught my eye...

Stacey, by any chance, is that Barracuda still around and would you be willing to part with it?

By way of introduction, let me tell you (and the board) that my name is Rick, and I'm a teacher living in southern central PA. I rediscovered old bikes in the last year or so when I found an old girls' banana seat bike in a thrift store. Pink with a flowered seat. It said "Polo Bike" on the chain guard, which I thought I remembered seeing on old Ross bikes. The headbadge is the same shape as old Ross ones, but it says "STARFLITE" written vertically in red. I figured it was made by Ross for some department store or something. If anyone knows more about the Starflite name, I'd love to hear it...

Since finding the Polo Bike, I've cleaned it up and my 10-year-old daughter rides it. I also found a 20" Ross convertible that I swapped some parts around on, and I recently rescued a beater Ross Apollo without rims from the back-room junkpile of my LBS. I also have a Sears Spyder (made by Huffy, I think) 20" musclebike frame with parts scavenged off a thrift-store Columbia girls' bike. The online pics of bikes in the New England Musclebike Museum got me hooked on Barracudas, and I'd LOVE to find one (even just the frame) with the two sets of twin tubes running from the dropouts to the head tube...

--rick
Old 06-20-07, 11:40 PM
MajikMan
Hirsuite moustache'd

Bikes: 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert, ~1995 Cannondale F500, 1984 Peugeot PSVN (fixie converstion)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since this thread got bumped, I guess I'll post photos of the recent 'on the curb for trash pickup' find. A friend grabbed this for me last weekend:

It's a 290S, but I don't know what year. The serial number seems to suggest the frame is 84, but the components date 86 (at least the FD, which seems to match the brakes and RD).
Old 06-21-07, 03:28 AM
Stacey

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ParkRNDL
Hey, I know this thread is forever old, but I was surfing around looking for Ross info and this thread (and this post in particular) caught my eye...

Stacey, by any chance, is that Barracuda still around and would you be willing to part with it?

By way of introduction, let me tell you (and the board) that my name is Rick, and I'm a teacher living in southern central PA. I rediscovered old bikes in the last year or so when I found an old girls' banana seat bike in a thrift store. Pink with a flowered seat. It said "Polo Bike" on the chain guard, which I thought I remembered seeing on old Ross bikes. The headbadge is the same shape as old Ross ones, but it says "STARFLITE" written vertically in red. I figured it was made by Ross for some department store or something. If anyone knows more about the Starflite name, I'd love to hear it...

Since finding the Polo Bike, I've cleaned it up and my 10-year-old daughter rides it. I also found a 20" Ross convertible that I swapped some parts around on, and I recently rescued a beater Ross Apollo without rims from the back-room junkpile of my LBS. I also have a Sears Spyder (made by Huffy, I think) 20" musclebike frame with parts scavenged off a thrift-store Columbia girls' bike. The online pics of bikes in the New England Musclebike Museum got me hooked on Barracudas, and I'd LOVE to find one (even just the frame) with the two sets of twin tubes running from the dropouts to the head tube...

--rick

Sorry Rick, the barracuda has found a new home. What part of southern central PA are you in. I spent a lot of time in East Freedom, Blair County as a youth.
Old 06-21-07, 04:45 AM
ParkRNDL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Stacey
Sorry Rick, the barracuda has found a new home. What part of southern central PA are you in. I spent a lot of time in East Freedom, Blair County as a youth.
Hey, I'm just excited that as old as this thread is, you read and responded... thanks! and the hunt for a Barracuda frame goes on. I'm in Chambersburg, about an hour south of Harrisburg straight down I81.

Does andyross still check in here? I wonder if he or his dad would know anything about the Starflyte (department store Ross?) bikes I mentioned in my previous post...

--rick
Old 06-21-07, 08:00 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4334 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
I have nothing to contribute except some old ads that I scanned.

Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 06-21-07, 08:31 AM
Stacey

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Cool! Anything on the Mt. McKinnley?
Old 06-21-07, 11:04 AM
solveg
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
ID this Ross?

Fascinating thread!

So I'm looking for a bike that I can learn mechanics on, so I don't want anything too* valuable, but I want something good enough to sink money into.

I ran across this, and the guy says it's his brother-in-laws bike from the 70's, but he can't be sure of the date. He doesn't remember the model number, but I'm going to meet him at work tomorrow and look at it.

Like I said, this is my first attempt to learn about bikes and parts, so I can't really see what you guys can from the photo. Since there was such a variation in quality, maybe someone could help me out?
Attached Images
Old 06-21-07, 08:18 PM
andyross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Barracudas!

My daughter April Ross has some new Barracudas in the cartons she is willing to part with, she lives on eastern LI, you can e-mail her at, april@mcrosscompany.com.
Old 06-21-07, 09:25 PM
ParkRNDL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by andyross
My daughter April Ross has some new Barracudas in the cartons she is willing to part with, she lives on eastern LI, you can e-mail her at, april@mcrosscompany.com.
Thanks. My parents happen to be in the middle of LI, in Huntington. I'll try that email...

--rick
Old 06-22-07, 07:57 AM
Snordalisk

Bikes: 1977 Raleigh Professional, 1997 Milano 3v, 2004 Surly Karate Monkey, 2007 Surly Crosscheck, 1984 Hutch Pro Racer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That "Dancing Across America" poster is hanging in our shop to this day.
Old 06-22-07, 09:34 AM
McDave

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's a sign I have hanging in my shop...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rosssign2.jpg (97.6 KB, 323 views)
Likes For McDave:
Old 06-26-07, 06:54 AM
SCRAPHOUND

Bikes: ROSS DIAMOND CRUISER 186

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm Trying To Post A Picture Of My Ross Bicycle And I'm Having A Little Trouble. Can Anyone Tell Me How To Post A Jpg File?? Thanks For The Help

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.