Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

What to do with sore muscles

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-04, 03:12 PM
gonesh9
wonderer, wanderer

Bikes: surly crosscheck, yeti 575, salsa moto rapido, kona ute

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I've been running to prepare for a 12K race this Sunday, and Tuesday went and ran the whole 12K to see how fast I could do it. I was only used to running 3 or so miles at a time before that, so my quad muscles really cramped up after I ran the ~6.6 miles. That was 2 days ago and they are still very sore. Amazingly it doesn't bother me to ride a bike, just when I walk or jog.

Is there anything I can do to help heal the muscles before Sunday's race? Will icing or heating them help if it's already 2 days after they started feeling sore?
Old 08-05-04, 05:42 PM
pacesetter

Bikes: Colnago, GT Team

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, only thing you can do is eat good balanced meals to speed recovery.
Old 08-05-04, 05:55 PM
Bockman
Castiron Perineum

Location: Taking a tip from Siu Blue Wind, I too am typing a lengthy passage of text down here to demonstrate the enormous amount of space available should one wish to use it-- in sharp contrast to the avatar text above this part.

Bikes: '06 Salsa Campeon, '84 Cannondale R1000, 80's Nishiki Ariel

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
'Soreness' is usually a quality of lactic acid buildup in the muscle. You can help speed the removal of lactic acid from your sore muscles via massage, stretching, and staying well-hydrated.
Old 08-05-04, 06:03 PM
ChezJfrey
Rider in the Storm

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, KHS Fiero (Fixed), Centurion Ironman Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm contemplating running the bridges too (it'll be a last-minute decision)! I just ran the Columbia Classic 15k last Thursday, and the Run Hit Wonder 10k this last Sunday.

If my legs were still sore after a run on Tuesday, I'd probably run some relaxed, easy miles today to help loosen 'em up....but, I run 25+ miles a week.

Since you were only running 3 miles at a time, more than doubling that distance in one run was way too much an increase (try increasing by 20% every two weeks or so). You just gotta lay off using the muscles as much as possible until Sunday...they'll probably feel good enough to use by then.
Old 08-06-04, 06:53 AM
DanFromDetroit
Bike Happy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have found that muscle soreness peaks the second day after a hard workout. I have tried a few things with limited success:
  • Ice or a cold shower/bath. Right after a hard workout a cold bath/shower seems to limit soreness later. However I find the cure worse than the problem. I'd rather be sore.
  • Post workout stretching and a long cooldown. This won't eliminate soreness but makes it less of a problem. I use this approach most often.
  • Yogurt/Endurox R4, etc. Something with carbs and protien. I have tried this little results. The science says it works, it certainly can't hurt, but I am still pretty sore even if I do this.
  • Ibuprofen taken after a workout. It works, but I just don't like pills, so it is not for me.

Dan
Old 08-06-04, 07:18 AM
Lonestar1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can easily reach your own thighs,quads,calves...self-massage works. Obviously not as enjoyable as having someone else perform the massage, but it helps. It really does work.
Old 08-06-04, 07:48 AM
jukt

Bikes: trek - lemond

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ibuprofen taken before a workout. It works.

Ahhh, prevention.
Old 08-06-04, 08:03 AM
P. B. Walker
Breaker of Spokes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can also do a short 20 to 30 minute easy spin the day after your hard efforts. I've heard it called a recovery ride. Basically you just get yourself warmed up by spinning the pedals very easy, not exerting anything at all. This gets the blood pumping into your muscles and clears them out. I suppose you could even do this on a trainer if you wanted.
Old 08-06-04, 08:57 AM
pacesetter

Bikes: Colnago, GT Team

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jukt
Ibuprofen taken before a workout. It works.

Ahhh, prevention.

Coach says Ibuprofen and excersise not a good thing, i did a search on subject and found it's not a good idea.
Old 08-06-04, 11:38 AM
Smoothie104
Elitist Jackass

Bikes: Cannondale 2.8, Specialized S-works E5 road, GT Talera

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Load up on Vitamin C and Glutamine....
Old 08-06-04, 11:45 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by gonesh9
I've been running to prepare for a 12K race this Sunday, and Tuesday went and ran the whole 12K to see how fast I could do it. I was only used to running 3 or so miles at a time before that, so my quad muscles really cramped up after I ran the ~6.6 miles. That was 2 days ago and they are still very sore. Amazingly it doesn't bother me to ride a bike, just when I walk or jog.

Is there anything I can do to help heal the muscles before Sunday's race? Will icing or heating them help if it's already 2 days after they started feeling sore?
If the soreness is not inhibiting you ability to function (it rarely does) then just ignore it as best you can. The best I've found is the oppostite of what you want to do: Go for a very easy paced jog to warm up the muscles - don't push it or go too far. It really helps flush out the soreness.

Al