Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-06, 11:42 AM
BubbaDog
Mmmm, Blue Salsa....

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
- 49.75 years old, 50+ wannabe.
- Road & MTB, bikes are in my sig below.
- Daily multivitamin, 2000mg fish oil, meds for a-fib and anti-coagulant. Used to take cholesterol meds, change in diet and exercise got rid of them.
- Haven't slowed down, slowly picking up the pace.
- Biked a bunch in my late teens/early twenties, just got back to it about a year ago.
- Primarily road riding right now. Want to do more off-road, that's why I recently bought the Marlin. Also want to do some light touring on the old Frankenbike. Planning on riding the BP MS150 in April 2007.
- Weekend rides average ~35 miles, also do neighborhood riding and grocery runs. 5-10 miles on the trainer about every other day if weather isn't cooperating. Miles for the year are about 750, want to break 1000.
- Getting back to the gym after a long hiatus let my weight go from about 165 back up to 180. Also walk between 7500-10000 steps daily.

B'Dog
1998 Diamondback Outlook MTB
1990 Centurion Cavaletto 'Gaspipe Beater' Roadie
1978 Volkscycle 'Frankenbike' CroMo Tourer
Old 08-30-06, 02:34 PM
G Boehne

Bikes: Giant OCR2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
50+

Hi, I'm Gerry and I am 60, live in "deep" Southern Illinois
- I ride a 2004 Giant OCR2, also have, but seldom ride a much older mountain bike
- I have been seriously riding road bikes for about 3 years after about 10 years of Mtn biking
- I am still getting faster, thanks to better equipment, better training, better health
- My rides range from 10-25 miles, mostly solo, usually stenuous for health & fitness
- I take Crestor, Methotrexate, Humira, CQ10, and Folic Acid
- During the warm months I ride 5-6 days/week, that combined with Rhuematoid Arthritis generally limits me to 1000 - 1200 miles a year (this year more - I am feeling great)
- I still do some running - used to run a lot

Thats about it!
Old 08-30-06, 04:35 PM
dauphin

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
welcome to the newest posters.
Old 08-30-06, 09:48 PM
scubajim49

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What bike do I ride?

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?

FCR4 Giant

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?
no

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?
A lil due to disability

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?

On and off my lifetime,last three years almost daily.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides.

commute around town

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?

Perhaps you might indicate your age on your reply?? 50 in October
Old 08-30-06, 11:18 PM
Mojo Slim
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Bikes? '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB, 01 or 02 Bianchi Eros (steel), 05 Giant OCR2 Comp
Meds "Senior" multi-vitamin, selenium, lo dose aspirin, Move-free
Slowed down? Sure, overall. But probably faster cyclist than a few years ago.
How long cycling? Seriouser road biking just a little over 4 years, but have always had a bike.
What type rides? Almost never ride less than 20 miles. Right now, because I'm not "training", most are in the 25 - 40 mile range. Have done a number of centuries and SF to LA AIDS LifeCycle twice.
How often and mileage? 3.7 X a week for a year 'round average. It goes up to a bit over 4X a week during the better weather. Last year, I rode 6172 miles. Will probably do about the same this year. I ride alone about 60% of the time, but a couple of buddies of similar age to ride with frequently.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 08-30-06, 11:19 PM
Mojo Slim
Lincoln, CA

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Bikes? '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB, 01 or 02 Bianchi Eros (steel), 05 Giant OCR2 Comp
Meds "Senior" multi-vitamin, selenium, lo dose aspirin, Move-free
Slowed down? Sure, overall. But probably faster cyclist than a few years ago.
How long cycling? Seriouser road biking just a little over 4 years, but have always had a bike.
What type rides? Almost never ride less than 20 miles. Right now, because I'm not "training", most are in the 25 - 40 mile range. Have done a number of centuries and SF to LA AIDS LifeCycle twice.
How often and mileage? 3.7 X a week for a year 'round average. It goes up to a bit over 4X a week during the better weather. Last year, I rode 6172 miles. Will probably do about the same this year. I ride alone about 60% of the time, but a couple of buddies of similar age to ride with frequently.
Old 08-30-06, 11:44 PM
Mojo Slim
Lincoln, CA

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Sorry for the double post. I'll blame it on my computer.
Old 08-31-06, 08:33 PM
mcadam

Bikes: Mongoose Crossway 850, upgraded

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bikes? '96 Mongoose Crossway 850, much upgraded
Meds: Beer
Slowed down? Doesn't feel like I have, and on a bike I have improved.
How long cycling? Adult cycling, 12 years.
What type rides? Commuting on road and city streets. No car, so 99% of my transportation is on the 'goose, and I really enjoy it.
How often and mileage? 7 days a week, at various miles. Yearly approx 1900 miles.
Old 09-03-06, 04:22 PM
Eutychus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike: Trek 7000
Meds: None now. Until I took up cycling, Lisinopril (for high blood pressure) and Depakote (for Bipolar). Doc took me off both after I lost 25 pounds cycling and dropped 25 pts on blood pressure
Slowed down: From 20 years ago? yes. From one year ago, when I started cycling? Definitely not!
What type rides? Commuting 32 miles/day (16 one-way); 10-40 miles on weekends
How often and mileage: See above. 6500 miles since I started on my birthday 362 days ago
Old 09-06-06, 06:01 PM
HowardC
oldie come newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yea, we need a 60+ thread........

I posted in the INTRO thread, but sounds like fun to show up here too. Like I inferred in the title line, I'm 63, and need to revamp a few things to get this cycling Getting my lungs back in shape, and losing a few lbs. I'm riding my inherited mtn bike now, an older Performance bike my boy had. I'm cleaning up and rebuilding my Holdsworth, hope to have it going in a month or so. I'll have to check out the mountain west segments and see who else is from Denver.

Later, - Howard
Old 09-06-06, 07:15 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by HowardC
I posted in the INTRO thread, but sounds like fun to show up here too. Like I inferred in the title line, I'm 63, and need to revamp a few things to get this cycling Getting my lungs back in shape, and losing a few lbs. I'm riding my inherited mtn bike now, an older Performance bike my boy had. I'm cleaning up and rebuilding my Holdsworth, hope to have it going in a month or so. I'll have to check out the mountain west segments and see who else is from Denver.

Later, - Howard
You hit the jackpot!
Old 09-27-06, 07:38 PM
jbs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Age 58 yesterday, along with Olivia Newton John
Bike E 'bent, Old specialized HARDROCK with rigid fork, Mid 80's Univega Grand Record Roadie
( my poorman's Rivendell)
2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?
B100, multi silver, Fish oil.
Reptilian by nature, energy level inversly proportional to weight ( a 220 lb/5'9''/BMI 33 Clydsdale)
Last 7 years steady. In college and youth primary form of transport with long commutes x few years.
Transcontinental Epic in '73, NYC bike messenger '74.
5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute, tour, race?
@ 1 hr rides in week, 2 hour rides weekends ideally. Less this year. Did Erie cannal tour this year- want to do more tours. Single/recently divorced- would love to find a cycling girl friend.
@2,000/year
7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.?
Weight lifting -light in winter w gym stationary cycling, eliptical machines; snowshoing ( Maine).
Old 10-01-06, 11:30 PM
enphadell
enphadell

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse & R600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

1. Cannondale Synapse

2. Hmm...does muscle milk count?

3. Should be slowing down,...but I love passing kids 1/2 my age

4.Been riding since the 80's ( Cannodale Black Lightning ) dropped out in 90's and began again 2 yrs ago

5 Coastal bike trails / Circuit around town

6. Who knows...short summers up here, would say 100's of miles

7. Run 5 miles every other day ( time: 9:40 per )
Old 10-12-06, 02:14 AM
deraltekluge

Bikes: Kona Cinder Cone, Sun EZ-3 AX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride? A toy-store Huffy kid's bike, a Kona CinderCone mountain bike, a Sun EZ-3 delta trike

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older? Multivitamin, B-1, aspirin, and a whole bunch of prescription meds

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any? If I were any slower, I'd be in reverse.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life? Started riding last year after not having ridden since the 1970s. Bought the kid's bike (super cheap) so if it didn't work out, I wouldn't be out much money. Liked riding, so after about a month, I got the Kona...rode for about 3 months, then fell and tore up my knee...haven't ridden a bike since. Trying to get going again now with the trike...spend a lot of time in very low gears.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute, tour, race? Before the knee, I was riding about 10-15 miles a day, 3-4 days a week on bike paths. Trying to get back to that level with the trike.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage? See above.

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.? Walking, physical therapy sessions for the knee.

Last edited by deraltekluge; 10-12-06 at 02:21 AM.
Old 10-12-06, 03:26 PM
Terrierman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 54.

Bike: I have a horrid back (two surgeries) horrid knees (both have had cartilage snipped, both are arthritic). I like and need an upright riding position. I ride a somewhat modified Trek Navigator 200. Changed out the shifters to Shimano Quickfire, put on more slip resistant BMX pedals, replaced the either flimsy or faulty stem with a zoom or something or other, and got a chafe free and much more comfortable (now after break-in) Brooks B-17 saddle. I'll be looking for something a little more road friendly sometime in the near future. I still want something with a more or less upright position though...

Supplements/meds: Glucosamine and chondroitin, a multivitamin, arthritis strength aspirin regimen, prilosec

Slowdown: I was headed downhill fast until I got on the bike. It's given me a new lease on life and I feel like I have the energy and stamina I had in my 30's now.

How long riding: I started on an Airdyne last November (05). Bought the Trek in April I think.

What type of biking: Recreational / fitness. We live in the sticks in the Ozarks. Some days I ride out here in the country (on paved roads). Some days I go into town and ride on paved bike/hike trails. I ride at least three nights a week, more usually four or five, occasionally more. Sometimes when schedules coincide I'm able to get out with my wife and one of our sons. He's been very good for me, a challenge to keep up with. We typically ride somewhere between 14 miles on the low side to 20 on the high side. At that rate I'll be somewhere around 3000 miles a year.

Any other physical activity: I hunt with my Jack Russell Terriers as often as possible. That involves a fair amount of walking and digging. Other than that, no.
Old 10-12-06, 04:35 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Welcome deraltekluge

Welcome Terrierman!
Old 10-13-06, 06:11 AM
Terrierman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the kind welcome.
Old 10-30-06, 09:39 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Today is my 50th birthday

1) Y2K Kona Nunu, 2004 Marin Mill Valley
2) Glucosamine/Chondrotin
3) 12%
4) 44 years, 20 years messengering
5) I haul freight with B.O.B. trailer and Jandd rear rack. I do deliveries that other bikers can't do.
6) Recovering from injury, trying to do 7 hours, four days/week (100+ miles/week)
7) Telemark skiing, snowboarding
Old 10-31-06, 11:14 PM
cranky old dude

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sooo, let's see....
AGE I'm 55, going on 56.

Bikes Lotsa bikes. Most riding now done on an old Trek Antelope 820. It's rigged for utility, not beauty. Old metal fenders from some 50's beater, a metal crate bolted onto the rear rack, and often seen towing a burley trailer loaded with a groceries or Lobatts Canadian Ale. Also a Raliegh C40 Hybrid, a Schwinn 354 Aluminum Road Bike (officially a racer, but definately not when I'm on it), a Burley Samba tandem and a lot of other rides.

Suppliments/Vitamins Just Gatorade during rides.

Slowed down? Don't really know. I'm a very sporadic rider...sometimes I don't drive my truck for months at a time, and sometimes I haven't been on the bikes in such a long time that it takes hours to unbury them out of the garage. Each time that I get back in the groove so to speak, I feel quite strong.

How long biking Since I could walk. Unfortunately, like I mentioned earlier, I ride for a while and then I kinda hibernate for a while.

Type of biking When I'm riding, it's all out...commuting, errands, bike trails for leisure rides. Never had an interest in racing, too much of a wanderlust type of guy. When I commute, I never know where I'll ride on the way home. I'll get into a cruisin' around mode and just wander in wonderment of the surroundings and freedom of biking.

How Often see above

Other physical activities None. No Time. Five to six 12hr. shifts per week at a thankless job (two day shifts & two night shifts every week with lotsa overtime thrown in to mix things up), plus lotsa family commitments. The bikes are the only activity I get...umm, there is a Schwinn Airdyne in the basement that I try to use, but I've found that I tend to use the Airdyne during periods of biking.

Well, that doesn't sound like a very healthy lifestyle! I'm desperately hoping that as the kids go off to college etc., I'll be less pressed with family commitments and more inclined to ride on a regular basis. Just took a short walk with the Bride today and investigated a newly opened section of the River Trail in my neighborhood and it looks great. Who knows, maybe if it's not pouring on Friday....
Old 11-17-06, 08:41 AM
eyeleica

Bikes: Nishiki sport, Centurion Pro Tour 15

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is my first post in the BF, here goes:
1. Nishiki Pro Tour 15 and sometimes my son's Nishiki Sport, which is too big
2. I drink the stuff the wife puts in the shot glasses (3) but I assure you they aren't what I wish they were.
3. I'm new to biking. Used to run but when I tried running after a long layoff, the pain in the left arm was so great I'd drop to my knees. Dr's found nothing wrong with the ticker but the mri's indicated disc deterioration in the neck and spinal stenosis. Three surgeons saw me and all wanted to cut. In addition, I've come down with polymyalgia rheumatica, which is kinda like arthritis of the muscles. A couple of years ago I had trouble walking. With steroids I've improved so that I decided that exercise was imperative. I got out the bikes from 30 years ago and started around the 'hood. I'm doing 10 miles a day and feel pretty decent, no good but better.
4. Just started biking this summer to get the grandkids on bikes, but it felt like being 16 with the freedom a driver's license brings.
5. Biking is leisure with some fart licking....fun run.......I did distance running when I taught high school and coached track.
6. I try to bike everyday, but at the present I am tired and am thinking maybe two or three days of training and a day off, but I like the 'high' getting on the saddle.
7. I keep busy with yard work, following a couple of active grandkids to dance, baseball, etc.

I've had to make adjustments on my bikes with adjustable stems to raise the handlebars for an upright ride. I try to keep the neck upright, but I've found my bikes might be too big. Is it possible to turn the adjustable stem backward so the bars are closer to me?

glad to be here in the bike forums
Old 11-17-06, 03:40 PM
don compton

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
special reply

54 yrs.
1) road bike(steel is real)
2) glucosamine, nsaid, vitamins
3) no
4)22 yrs., not including childhood
5) 35-60mi. club rides. 100mi. century once a year
6) 4 days a week, 6000mi. a year, live in central california and can ride year around
7) weight train in gym
Old 11-17-06, 05:35 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Welcome

eyeleica
don compton

Check out and add to the Rogue's Gallery (see below)
Old 11-28-06, 11:42 AM
SaiKaiTai

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I lost my introduction when the DB crashed.
Meanwhile I have found this more "official" thread and will repost here.

Please tell us your age.
I am fast approaching 54 but, for now, I am still 53.

I have an '06 Gary Fisher Kaitai which was a present from my wonderful bride of 24 years
She got tired of me talking about getting off of my ass and removed the only excuse I had.

Tons o' pills for BP and cholesterol in addition to Glucosamine/Chondroitin+Centrum Multi+C supplement, daily

I'm definitely not as quick as I used to be. Things just hurt more now than they did 20 years ago.
Stamina is also an issue but I learned 10 years ago that I've been living with asthma and didn't know it.
It's more of an issue now but I deal with it.

I biked everywhere as a kid. As far as I was allowed to go, I got there on a bike.
In the early to mid 80's I rode 20 miles a day 3-4 days a week. I quit riding around '87 or so. Scheduling.
I picked it up again with a vengeance in April 2006

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute, tour, race?
I guess they'd be considered short rec rides. 8-10 miles, 2-3 nights a week after work and 15-20 miles on Saturday mornings.

3-4 days a week for a total of about 40-50 miles. I'm trying to break 1K before year's end.

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.?
I play guitar; does strumming count as a physical activity.
I like to walk but don't do enough of it.

Old 11-28-06, 12:20 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Thanks for your info. Very interesting.

If you feel comfortable about it, just copy the same info as your bio and send it and a pic to

bfn50gallery@aol.com

and you can have an honored place in the bfn50+ rogue's gallery!
Old 11-28-06, 12:51 PM
SaiKaiTai

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can do that and would be happy to.
I have to get a photo of me and my bike first...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.