Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone have a light road bike

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 11-17-04, 02:55 PM
Trev Doyle
Hamburger Pimp

Bikes: BMC SLT O1 Team Full Record, Kuips SuperNova Ultegra & DuraAce, Rocky Mountain Team Scandium full XTR w sids & dope parts, Guerciotti Khaybar Full Record.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does any one have a particularly light bike? I think mine is pretty light, but i want to know if any one has any secret weapons that they would like to share.

The following is a list of my componants. LeMond Zurich 853 steel/53cm, Easton EC90 SLX fork, Chris King Ti headset, Cinelli Ram stem/bar combo, Zero gravity brakes, Storck power arms crankset, White Ind. Ti B.B., Speedplay Zeros Ti, USE Alien post, SLR saddle, Open Pro rims, Hugi 240 Hubs, Ti spokes, Nokon cables, King cage Ti, Bold Precision Ti skewers, Dura Ace 9 SPEED, Ti bolt kit through out.

15.4 lbs
Old 11-17-04, 03:00 PM
TCR
Riding Heavens Highway

Bikes: '04 Giant TCR

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yea, mine is pretty light, it's almost all yellow.
Old 11-17-04, 03:03 PM
55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Light? Mine weigh less than 75 lbs combined.

55/Rad
Old 11-17-04, 04:00 PM
Lectron
Made in Norway

Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
My roadbike is 168.2 lbs incl. 6.07 feet rider
Old 11-17-04, 04:04 PM
Maj.Taylor
World Champion, 1899

Bikes: Litespeed Vortex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mine is light--enough. The real question is can you keep up?
Old 11-17-04, 05:26 PM
55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Mine has a light on it.

55/Raed
Old 11-17-04, 05:27 PM
MackDaddy
Who's your Daddy?

Bikes: 2004 Spec Sirrus Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dude, you need to hang out on weight weenies web site.

I thought mine was fairly light @ 16.6lbs. You just dropped my a$$ like a dirty pair-o-shorts.
Old 11-17-04, 05:29 PM
MackDaddy
Who's your Daddy?

Bikes: 2004 Spec Sirrus Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 55/Rad
Mine has a light on it.

55/Raed
Old 11-17-04, 05:51 PM
gruppo

Bikes: American Breezer mtb, American Classic ti road bike w/SRAM Force and XO, Crotch Rocket, SOMA 69'er w/XX-1 mtb, Handsome Shop Bike w/700c wheels. Bianchi SS 'cross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As you can see starting a thread like this is risky. But I'm an unabashed weight weenie, so here's a description of my lightest road bike, which weighs 15.3 pounds: American Classic 57 cm ti frame (Made by Litespeed), Look HSC 1 fork (Their original all carbon fork I think) w/1" Aheadset, American Classic ti seatpost, 3T Zepp stem & 199 bars w/Cinelli tape, Campy Record Carbon Ergo shifters and derailleurs, American Classic 350 wheelset with Cycle Dynamics ti cogset & ti skewers, Conti Supersonic tires & Race Lite tubes, Topline crankset & ti bottom bracket (They've been off the market for a while), Selle Italia Flite TT saddle, Sram 89R Chain, a "very" light brakeset I got from Brew Bikes many years ago, Bebop pedals, and of course the usual assortment of ti hardware. I've probably got 8,000 miles on it.

As far as secret weapons go, when I get some money ahead I'll probably install one of IRD's new CNC'd aluminum cassettes; carbon bars & stem, and an Easton carbon seatpost. That should get me under 15 pounds and that's as light as I can afford to go. However I have been eyeing an Ellsworth Flight frame that's over a pound lighter than my ti frame and though I was only been able to pedal it for 50 miles, it seemed to have a steel/ti-like ride.

In response to 55Rad, do you mean the four bikes listed weigh less than 75 pounds. If so, they need to go a diet (That's a rather hefty average of almost 19 pounds each!?), particularly when you consider the oldest is a '98 vintage, and it's a piece of cake to build 16 - 17 pound bikes these days (Did I mention you also need to be a bit thick skinned to start or respond to a thread like this). A quick review of my "N+1" bike inventory indicates 75 pounds gets you the road bike described above (15.3), an Ellsworth Id (25.5), a Crotch Rocket single speed mountain bike (18.0), and an Aquila fixed gear/track bike w/Shimano 10 pitch group (14.0), with two pounds to spare.

A final note is there was a sub 10 pound road bike (I think it might have been just a tad over eight pounds!) in the Speedplay booth at Interbike this year. So we can all just shut up.
Old 11-17-04, 05:59 PM
Dchiefransom

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I walked out the door with a stock 2002 Lemond Zurich. 20 pounds.
Old 11-17-04, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I believe my bike is about 16 pounds.

Koffee

Old 11-17-04, 06:14 PM
SAB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Trek 5200 dates back to 1996 and weighs 17.5lbs. My cyclocross bike with S&S couplers is 20lbs. The cross bike with me on it weighs a shade over 150lbs.
Old 11-17-04, 06:18 PM
gcasillo
Maglia Ciclamino

Bikes: Bianchi Aria, Bianchi Volpe

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
With sinkers added to the frame and chains dropped down the seat tube, mine probably weighs 25-30 lbs. My Volpe that is. Maybe I should take the fenders and rack off, no?

Crikey, pretty soon we'll be scamming up ways to remove the chain and pedals to save weight.

(I miss my EV3...)
Old 11-17-04, 07:52 PM
Trev Doyle
Hamburger Pimp

Bikes: BMC SLT O1 Team Full Record, Kuips SuperNova Ultegra & DuraAce, Rocky Mountain Team Scandium full XTR w sids & dope parts, Guerciotti Khaybar Full Record.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mine has a light on it.

55/Raed
Thanks-A million laughs. At least your bikes are serious.
Old 11-18-04, 05:09 AM
glevii

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My bike is about 8 pounds right now. Of course, I still don't have wheels, a seat post, handlebars, stem, shifters, derailleurs, cassette, or chain.
Old 11-18-04, 05:22 AM
53-11 alltheway

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by glevii
My bike is about 8 pounds right now. Of course, I still don't have wheels, a seat post, handlebars, stem, shifters, derailleurs, cassette, or chain.
Do you have the specs in mind for your handlebar width and stem length? THe advantage to doing it piece by piece is that you get exactly the parts you want.

I have already thrown away my far share of parts on my current bike just because I ended up wanting a different size.

BTW.....check out the velocity aerohead rims (405 grams!) and very nice. I don't think I will ever buy Mavics again.
Old 11-18-04, 06:45 AM
Matt Gaunt

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by glevii: My bike is about 8 pounds right now. Of course, I still don't have wheels, a seat post, handlebars, stem, shifters, derailleurs, cassette, or chain.
Beat you! Mine weighs 1.6 kilos (don't know what that is in old money - less than 4 lbs i guess) as it's just a frame and forks!!! Waiting for Ultegra 10s t come in. There'll be no lights going on it though, 55 rad! Nice comment!

Matt
Old 11-18-04, 06:49 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
My Sequoia weighs in at around 25 lbs., which includes the bike with Ultegra pedals (I'm such a weight weenie), my lights, Armadillo tires on relatively heavy Mavic Cosmos wheels, two water bottle cages, a Road Morph pump, and a seat bag with multitool, tire levers, and patches. So the big question is, how much less money would I have in my bank account if I rode a 15 lb. bike?
Old 11-18-04, 09:08 AM
55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by gruppo
In response to 55Rad, do you mean the four bikes listed weigh less than 75 pounds. If so, they need to go a diet (That's a rather hefty average of almost 19 pounds each!?), particularly when you consider the oldest is a '98 vintage, and it's a piece of cake to build 16 - 17 pound bikes these days (Did I mention you also need to be a bit thick skinned to start or respond to a thread like this)
'03 Trek 5500 - OCLV carbon with Ultegra 17.2 lbs
'98 Lemond Mailliot Jaune - 853 steel with Ultegra - 18.5 lbs
'02 Lemond Poprad Cyclocross - 853 w/ 105 - 22.3 lbls
'04 Tete de Course - current project - ti/carbon combo, Rolf prima Vigor wheels and Keo pedals. Currently researching and saving for other components. Target weight - sub 17.

So yes, the 4 of them DO (or will) weigh less than 75 lbs.

55/Rad
Old 11-18-04, 09:17 AM
pjbaz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't weighted my 04 Zurich with Race XXX Lite fork. But I can guarantee it's alot heavier than many and alot lighter than many others. Regardless, I like the ride.

Honestly though, I'm afraid to weigh it and find out it's more than 20 lbs so everyone on here laughs at me. I guess I could buy a new set of Keo pedals and drop 1/3 of a pound over my A5.1's

My guess is that it's just under 20 though.

PJ
Old 11-18-04, 09:44 AM
Maj.Taylor
World Champion, 1899

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pjbaz
Honestly though, I'm afraid to weigh it and find out it's more than 20 lbs so everyone on here laughs at me. I guess I could buy a new set of Keo pedals and drop 1/3 of a pound over my A5.1's
I haven't weighed mine either, but I'm guessing it's right at 20 lbs. Let them laugh. Being 6/4 titanium and no carbon fiber, it's bulletproof.
Old 11-18-04, 10:09 AM
TheCutters

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
'03 Trek 5500 - OCLV carbon with Ultegra 17.2 lbs
'98 Lemond Mailliot Jaune - 853 steel with Ultegra - 18.5 lbs
'02 Lemond Poprad Cyclocross - 853 w/ 105 - 22.3 lbls
'04 Tete de Course - current project - ti/carbon combo, Rolf prima Vigor wheels and Keo pedals. Currently researching and saving for other components. Target weight - sub 17.

So yes, the 4 of them DO (or will) weigh less than 75 lbs.

55/Rad

Wanna trade jobs with me?
Old 11-18-04, 10:19 AM
Lectron
Made in Norway

Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Maj.Taylor
I haven't weighed mine either, but I'm guessing it's right at 20 lbs. Let them laugh. Being 6/4 titanium and no carbon fiber, it's bulletproof.
Well Maj Taylor.

A 59 Vortex only weigh 1341g (3lbs), so there is something really heavy on that bike.

But there again. I'll rather ride a good bulletproof one than a flexy dangerous wobbeling sub 13 bike.
With a 1100g frame, tubeless tires/wheelset and maby a lighter handlebar/stem, my bike wold (or could)be less expensive, less bulletproof and less comortable.

It's now 16.1 lbs
Old 11-18-04, 11:28 AM
Maj.Taylor
World Champion, 1899

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lectron
Well Maj Taylor. A 59 Vortex only weigh 1341g (3lbs), so there is something really heavy on that bike.
Not that it's more than another couple of grams, but it's a 60 cm frame. Beyond that, I ride a "heavy" and comfortable Turbomatic. I use fairly beefy semi-aero rims with beefy spokes. (Those wheels haven't needed a real truing in forever. I ride them over brick and 200 year-old cobblestone streets almost every ride. I don't think twice about jumping curbs or doing bunny-hops, or taking back alleys.) As I said, there's no carbon fiber anywhere. I haven't tweaked anything to make it lighter. My handlebars won't break on those cobblestones. I use a fairly heavy-duty bottom bracket that has now lasted a good while--after previously going through two lightweight and expensive titanium ones in 3 years.

It all adds up--to bulletproof (maybe even literally in some places), and pretty much maintenance-free. But yes, if I fretted and did what most others here do, I've determined I could easily get it down to no more than 16.5 lbs. It would also not be as durable and as comfortable. And finally, I guess I prefer riding my bike instead of thinking about it. I think about it a few minutes before I ride and another few minutes afterwards. That's it.

(And okay, it probably is a little lighter than 20 lbs, maybe 19.5. I just don't get carried away worrying about its weight. I figure the 20 lbs. range and solid is quite good enough for me. Oops...there is something else. Remember, it's a custom-built Vortex made even a little more custom by the nice folks at Litespeed. Some of the 6/4 tubing, like the chain stays, is a little beefier than what you find on another Vortex, custom or not. Again, bulletproof--literally.)
Old 11-18-04, 11:57 AM
4Nroads
one more hill

Bikes: a white bike and a grey bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The credit card I'm going to buy my new bike with is 5.2grams. Does that count?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.