Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Touring goals or dreams for 2005?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Touring goals or dreams for 2005?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-05, 11:32 PM
Erick L
Lentement mais sûrement

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The blue line on the map attached, going counter-clockwise, beginning in Montreal (lower left corner). The green part is by train and the red, alternate route if I decide to shorten the train ride. I might just not take the train at all. I should be gone for about three weeks in late september/early october, hoping to catch the fall colors. Planning to do some hiking on several occasions, and maybe some canoeing in Mauricie Nat'l park.
Old 01-05-05, 10:52 AM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
In response to the requests for additional info regarding touring in Nova Scotia:

I toured there about 15 years ago. What I recall is that I really enjoyed Cape Breton Island, not just the Cabot Trail and the national park, but also the area around Bras d'Or lake.

I was disappointed with the Annapolis Valley region, though wet weather there didn't help matters. I also had mixed feelings about the south coast between Halifax (a pleasant city) & Yarmouth. The roads along the coves are lovely, but the main road has far too much traffic to be enjoyable. The problem is that at a minimum, you must take the main road to get from cove to cove. The area north of Yarmouth was OK, but nothing special, I thought. If you're lucky, you'll get to see water seemingly flow up creeks when the enormous tide comes in. At some point, I biked across the mostly empty interior from Annapolis Valley to Halifax. It was interesting simply because the landscape was quite different from everywhere else I had been.

All in all, I wish I had spent more time biking on Cape Breton Island, and less time on the mainland.
-------------------------------------------------
This past September I was biking on Prince Edward Island and the Iles de la Madeleine (Quebec) in the middle of the Gulf of St. Lawrence (and accessible by 5 hour ferry from Souris, PEI). Biking was challenging on the Madeleines because of the constant strong winds, but the islands are absolutely lovely and very much worth visiting. PEI had better biking, if only because of the weaker winds, but simply wasn't as interesting as the Madeleines, we thought. Still a nice place to visit, though.
Old 01-05-05, 12:26 PM
powers2b
Listen to me

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Circumvent Lake Erie in early summer.
750 miles 8 days. If you are near the shore come join me for a mile or two.
Old 01-05-05, 06:53 PM
michaelwlf3
Live to Ride,Ride to Live

Bikes: 2 - GT Panteras of different vintages, Trek 1100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Northern Cresent, South Carolina
Old 01-06-05, 03:05 AM
sakarias

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We've put money on plane tickets to Bordeaux the beginning of September. We'll spend a week there working to improve our meager French (staying at a B&B east of Bordeaux), then take off for 3 1/2 weeks of riding in the Pyrenees. My wife really wants to climb the Tourmalet (Uh, OK honey) among other famous Tour de France Pyreneean cols and mountain top finishes (we did a couple in 2003).

Mike
Juneau Alaska
Old 01-06-05, 05:37 AM
onbike 1939

Bikes: Airnimal Chameleon; Ellis Briggs; Moulton TSR27 Moulton Esprit

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3291 Post(s)
Liked 827 Times in 583 Posts
Overnight ferry from Rosyth in Scotland to Zeebrugge,Belguim and then working along the coast to France. Down the West coast of France to Brittany then making a loop around Brittany before continuing South. At just above La Rochelle (Vandee) turn East following the Loire across to the top of Burgundy and then South to spend a few days at a friend's in Roanne.Heading West again and, if time allows, head for the area around the Gironde before turning North back to Zeebrugge and catching the ferry back to my home in Fife. This to be done using lightweight camping gear and riding my new (yet to arrive) Thorn Raven with Rholloff hub. Distance probably around 2500-3000 miles using minor roads (white on map) and the time-scale would be 2 months--I'm retired. I'm familiar with most if not all of the area involved but I can't resist France in the summer (trip beginning July to end of August). I make a point of using the smaller,cheaper, one star campsites as they are more suited to travellers rather than tourists. Just can't wait. Hope all your dreams come true, George.
Old 01-07-05, 07:09 PM
roosmachine
Faster than a SwiftTurtle

Bikes: Thin Blue Line Hardtail Mtb, Giant OCR Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Assuming all goes well, this year I'll finally get off my butt and cycle across Canada. I've told everyone I know, so I guess I better do it eh?

Leaving June 4th, hope to be done around August 7th. Tofino BC to St John's NFLD.

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/journ...dle=canada2005
www.roosmachine.com
Old 01-07-05, 07:17 PM
The_Baron

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah, a post I can finally answer! I'm off in a month to spend 6-8 months cycling across Europe by a nicely meandering route - hopefully skirting anything too tall! Should be an eye-opener; 50km is about my record for weekly distance travelled so far.
Old 01-08-05, 08:30 AM
pinerider
bici accumulatori

Bikes: 1985 Nishiki International Touring Bike, 1992 Vitus 979 road bike, 1996 Bianchi Premio road bike, 2002 Thin Blue LIne CO2 mountain bike, 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa touring bike, 1964 CCM roadster, 1959 CCM Motorbike, 2002 KHS FXT mtb + more to fix!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I plan on doing some weekend tours in spring, maybe Hamilton - Peterborough area, then possibly a Hamilton - Truro, Nova Scotia then Cape Breton and back for 2-3 weeks in July (is that enough time??)
Old 01-08-05, 06:36 PM
Revtor
I ride my bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Riding the atalntic coast in may/june. . NJ to . . ? Florida?

~Steve
Old 01-09-05, 02:58 AM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Amherst to Amherst tour - specifically, Amherst, Massachusetts to Amherst, Novia Scotia. That's the working title for Project X, in any case. The start and end points will likely change, but the plan is a coastal tour up through Maine and into Novia Scotia. Stops at Cape Elizabeth/Portland, Belfast, Mt. Desert Island, Calais, St. John, etc. About 670 miles each way. We (my buddy and I) are new to touring, and so we are giving ourselves about a month to do it. I'm very excited!
Old 01-09-05, 09:41 AM
jobob
back of the autobus

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Rivendell Bleriot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, these all sound great!

My husband & I will be doing our very first tour, from late May to early June - since it's our first we'll keep it relatively simple, credit-card style and go from inn to inn.

The plan is to start off in Port Townsend, WA, cycle to Port Angeles and O/N at some motel near the ferry dock, take the ferry to Victoria the next morning, and stay at some yet-to-be-determined* inn or B&B or small vacation rental house for 3 nights while we explore the Saanich Penninsula and thereabouts. Then we'll cycle up to Sydney and take the ferry to the San Juan Islands where we're staying for 3 more nights at a B&B on Orcas Island, which will be our base from which to day-trip to the various islands (of course we'll ride up Mt. Constitution). Then we'll take the ferry to Anacortes, cycle down Whidbey Island and ferry back to Pt. Townsend.

We're certainly taking our time here, staying as much as 3 nights in various locations, but that's to allow us a base to do some sightseeing without having to carry our stuff and worrying about getting to the next inn, and to give us a bit of leeway for the inevitable rainy days.

Some of our inspiration is from this excellent journal:
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/journ...oc_id=545&v=3k

Regards, - jobob

*Can anyone recommend a bike-friendly inn, B&B, or short-term (3 night) vacation rental on the outskirts of Victoria? Ideally we'd like to stay somewhere along the eastern shore near Oak Bay or Cadboro Bay or thereabouts. Thanks!
Old 01-09-05, 03:41 PM
Kodama
Quietly Desperate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jobob
Wow, these all sound great!

We're certainly taking our time here, staying as much as 3 nights in various locations, but that's to allow us a base to do some sightseeing without having to carry our stuff and worrying about getting to the next inn, and to give us a bit of leeway for the inevitable rainy days.

Some of our inspiration is from this excellent journal:
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/journ...oc_id=545&v=3k

Regards, - jobob

*Can anyone recommend a bike-friendly inn, B&B, or short-term (3 night) vacation rental on the outskirts of Victoria? Ideally we'd like to stay somewhere along the eastern shore near Oak Bay or Cadboro Bay or thereabouts. Thanks!
Hey thanks for reading my journal, glad you liked it. I have to say that after completing that tour in the manner that I did it, I think the base camp idea is probably the best way to do these islands. Even with camping like I did, I wish I'd set up at one camp ground, unloaded the bicycle and did the other islands. I'll do this next time, though I don't foresee doing the islands again for a while. As for looking for a places to stay near Victoria, I'd look for places that are near the Galloping Goose trail. A lot of those really capitalize on the bicycle traveler and thus are very cycle friendly. There is a hostel in Victoria, but it may be right in the town. This site has a lot of good lodging info: https://vancouverisland.kulshan.com/. I compiled a ton more info on the islands than I put in my journal (which I saw as more of a travelogue) so feel free to ask any questions.
Old 01-10-05, 11:38 AM
Schumius
senile member

Bikes: 1 mtb converted for commuting (actually, collecting dust in the garage), a LHT with "durable components"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it costs me a fortune to build the new bike so i can´t go too far away nor countries too expensive. i would really love to do tibet july-september or canada/states coast to coast, strangely the ticket to north america is actually cheaper than going to, say, mongolia or oz.
Old 01-11-05, 06:22 AM
velowolf
ObsessiveCompulsiveMember

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These all look very exciting.

While mine may not seem quite as ambitious, I just got back on the bike last year, so this will be my first full season since high school.

I plan on doing a 9 day tour on the Great Allegheny passage and the C&O Towpath round trip from Pittsburgh to Washington DC and back. I picked up the Linking Up book and it sounds like a nice ride. I will do this in late spring.

Also, just having moved to WV, I plan on a few multi-day trips, doing mostly stealth camping. There's some really nice country down here. If time allows, I may even sneak into Virginia for some touring.
Old 01-11-05, 08:57 AM
x2mars
Human donkey

Bikes: brompton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mine---to get touring bike
Old 01-11-05, 04:14 PM
Travelinguyrt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kilimanjaro in March/April
Spain and Portugal April/May
Italy but not Rome June
S.E France
Danube Bike bath the FULL distance to Budapest
Prague again this year and MUCH more time in the Czech rural areas
Old 01-28-05, 10:15 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
1. Short tours around Alberta, Canada ... now that I live here I figure I should take a better look at the place.

2. Longer tour in California, possibly into Arizona, possibly up the west coast ... I'll see when the time gets closer. I want to do it in conjunction with the Gold Rush Randonnee (1200K) in July in California.
Old 02-10-05, 09:15 PM
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bradw
That looks good. If I could find a way to make it from St. Louis to some point along the loop, that would be great. I like to start and finish at home.

I have the State of Illinois' bike maps for the entire state, so I should be able to find some route. Probably the Great River route from Alton heading north.

Now if I can actually cram all of those miles into 14 days
The limestone bluffs between Alton and Grafton are full of bald eagles. You can sit and watch them glide down from a tree and snag fish out of the river, it's fun. Also, there use to be an nice little cafe in Elsah, cute little burg halfway between Alton and Grafton. After Grafton we took the ferry across the Illinois River to Calhoon County, less traffic that way, but it depends on where you're going. Actually from St. Louis a nice tour is to go this way and then to Hannibal, MO. The Tom Sawyer history stuff is really cool, than you can loop back to St.Charles, then into St. Louis.
Old 02-10-05, 09:34 PM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 93 Posts
Doing a "short" trip in the West.
All summer - ending up in Alaska.
Still hoping to find some riding companions.
Old 02-10-05, 09:36 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by ajs26
What I"m going to say isn't impressive but it is a start for me. Just got my first road bike (usually just mtb only) a Redline Conquest Tour and all I want to do is 1000 miles this year. Won't be much compared to most of you, but that is alot more time in the saddle than I usually spend. Also just got my wife a specialized crossroads to turn her onto biking and she loves it. So that is one more for our cause.
That's how much I did my first couple years of cycling.
Old 02-10-05, 09:41 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by roosmachine
Assuming all goes well, this year I'll finally get off my butt and cycle across Canada. I've told everyone I know, so I guess I better do it eh?

Leaving June 4th, hope to be done around August 7th. Tofino BC to St John's NFLD.

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/journ...dle=canada2005
www.roosmachine.com

Have you seen this site?
https://www.cyclecanada.com/

Click on "The Crossing" link.
Old 02-11-05, 12:39 PM
velotimbe
addicted to coffee

Bikes: Surly LHT, Gunnar Roadie, Trek Fuel EX, Fisher Twenty Niner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe I am being assigned to a 30-day Seattle to San Francisco and a 14-day Cape Cod for work.

I will probably also do some shorter solo tours, I am thinking right now a brewery tour of Southern WI and also a Mississippi river from MPLS to Iowa.