Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

4.7 Madone Seat post Clamp

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-12, 11:37 AM
darth

Bikes: Trek Madone 4.7 (Heavily Customised!)

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey,

Now I've had it confirmed in this forum (and by phoning Trek UK) that my seat post clamp is 30.2mm, can anyone help me to find a really light one - around 7grammes please? It's easy to find light clamps on eBay in 31.8 at that weight, but I'm struggling with this smaller size.

Regards in advance, darth.

Last edited by darth; 10-23-12 at 06:12 AM. Reason: Size is now confirmed!
Old 10-22-12, 11:57 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
30.2 mm

You also need to pay attention to the depth of the clamp -- the clamp area is necked down from the frame and extends 10.5 mm; the stock clamp is 11 mm from the bottom of the clamp to the flange.
Old 10-22-12, 02:45 PM
darth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks

Originally Posted by mconlonx
30.2 mm

You also need to pay attention to the depth of the clamp -- the clamp area is necked down from the frame and extends 10.5 mm; the stock clamp is 11 mm from the bottom of the clamp to the flange.
Thanks for that... Didn't occur to me there was a 30.2mm! And you're certainly right about the rest too! It's all too easy to overlook the actual 'fit' of the clamp, when all you're doing is trying to find the lightest one out there! :-)

darth.
Old 10-22-12, 08:58 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
"trying to find the lightest one out there!"

Think you'll notice the weight savings?
Old 10-23-12, 05:34 AM
darth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep!

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
"trying to find the lightest one out there!"

Think you'll notice the weight savings?
Definitely! The higher up the bike (centre of gravity, and all that) the more noticeable! Some people (lots of people) waste their money on cigarettes & booze, I like to waste my time and usable income on my love - cycling! :-)

My Trek - with several lights etc. started life at over 9Kg. It's now 7.8 (with all those lights etc.) and today it will be another 24g lighter, as the postie has just delivered a carbon front derailleur clamp (bought on eBay)! The more I tweak it, the more I enjoy riding it! And that's what counts! ;-)

darth.
Old 10-23-12, 08:39 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by darth
Definitely! The higher up the bike (centre of gravity, and all that) the more noticeable! Some people (lots of people) waste their money on cigarettes & booze, I like to waste my time and usable income on my love - cycling! :-)
Certainly a better use of resources than cigarettes or too much booze. However, be careful not to overdo the weight reduction to the point of "stupid light" Very light but fragile components can get you to the danger point rather easily.
Old 10-25-12, 02:47 AM
darth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do tend to do some extreme re-engineering, it has been said! But thus far (touch wood) nothing has failed... :-) Shame this forum isn't one that's easy to upload a pic. too (like the weight weenies forum). Then I could show my I-Fly saddle & carbon post 're-engineer' that is like nothing seen before!!! ;-)
Old 10-25-12, 10:42 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Buy a Titanium bolt, to go in the one you have, stock.

the rest is already Aluminum..
Old 11-02-12, 09:26 PM
darth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DONE IT!

Couldn't find a light clamp in 30.2 so took a chance and bought this 31.8 (https://stores.ebay.com/Mr-Ride-Bicyc..._sid=958687367), and cut a 10mm strip of an old store loyalty card (similar to a credit card) and bent it round the seat post under the new clamp. Total weight including this 'shim': 8.5grammes!!!
Old 11-02-12, 10:57 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1528 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Shame this forum isn't one that's easy to upload a pic. too (like the weight weenies forum).
It's a piece of piss to upload a pic here. The third button from the right above the quick reply text entry field (fifth from the right, second row, in the advanced dialog) says 'Insert Image' when you mouseover it, and when you click it you get the option to pick a file (or multiple files) from your computer or to use a URL, in which case there's a checkbox to make it an attachment, otherwise it just uses IMG tags.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg

Last edited by Kimmo; 11-02-12 at 11:01 PM.
Old 11-03-12, 07:10 AM
darth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
It's a piece of piss to upload a pic here. The third button from the right above the quick reply text entry field (fifth from the right, second row, in the advanced dialog) says 'Insert Image' when you mouseover it, and when you click it you get the option to pick a file (or multiple files) from your computer or to use a URL, in which case there's a checkbox to make it an attachment, otherwise it just uses IMG tags.
Ah Ha! Thank you, Kimmo!

And just to test it... Here is a pic. of the new light weight clamp - and shim made of the black magnetic strip on the rear of a credit card! Maybe if I use a current card with 'swipe' technology, I can make purchases as I whizz past the shops! ;-)

The picture here certainly shows it's time to do a bit of tidying around the holes I drilled in the carbon seat post!

And here is the - brilliantly re-engineered - post and I-Fly saddle with Brunel style supports; weighing in at 209grammes complete!

Attached Images
IMG_1512.jpg (96.9 KB, 17 views)
IMG_1493.jpg (91.0 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by darth; 11-03-12 at 07:15 AM.
Old 11-03-12, 10:34 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
The picture here certainly shows it's time to do a bit of tidying around the holes I drilled in the carbon seat post!
If this is for real, not a troll, you need to stop immediately and get a new seatpost, forget your rube goldberg-esque contraption. That is extremely dangerous. You risk an -ectomy of somethings you don't want -ectomized... Do not ride the bike with holes drilled in the carbon post, it is not safe.
Old 11-03-12, 10:48 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
colonoscopy will be easier once there is a bigger hole, made by that breaking off.
Old 11-03-12, 11:14 AM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
Ah Ha! Thank you, Kimmo!

And just to test it... Here is a pic. of the new light weight clamp - and shim made of the black magnetic strip on the rear of a credit card! Maybe if I use a current card with 'swipe' technology, I can make purchases as I whizz past the shops! ;-)

And here is the - brilliantly re-engineered - post and I-Fly saddle with Brunel style supports; weighing in at 209grammes complete!

All this stupidity and it still weighs 17.1 pounds? Doesn't a stock Madone weigh less than that?

Also please stop grossly mis-using the term "engineering."
Old 11-03-12, 11:22 AM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx
If this is for real, not a troll, you need to stop immediately and get a new seatpost, forget your rube goldberg-esque contraption. That is extremely dangerous. You risk an -ectomy of somethings you don't want -ectomized... Do not ride the bike with holes drilled in the carbon post, it is not safe.
But he covered the post in what looks to be electrical tape, so it should be fine
Old 11-04-12, 11:06 AM
darth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's what I love about forums... Cynicism! :-)

I - like most red blooded males - love tinkering with stuff! Over the years I've 're-engineered' various mechanical things; and I'm proud to say, most have worked well. Though, FastJake, if I'm not allowed to use (abuse, in your opinion) that term, what do I have your permission to use?
Also, the stock 56cm 4.7 came in at 18.4lbs (in old fashioned money) or 8,345 grammes - including Speedplay Frog SS pedals. I'm very pleased that with over 500 grammes of lights, batteries & computer etc. it's currently in at 7,749 (17.1lbs). Or without the 'ancillaries' 16lbs dead!

As for the 'extreme' seat post (that I agree shouldn't work!), mconlox, fietsbob (and FastJake), I weigh a tad under 100k wearing all my gear when on my bike, and I've done serious miles with this post/saddle - and I've attempted to break it! - yet it's still going strong! Testimony to Bontrager's initial build quality - and the fact that I did 'think' in engineering terms where I was drilling the holes (in relation to stress points)!

Plus... If you don't like it; nobody's forcing you to ride it! I like it, it works and it's light! ;-)