Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

I'm back, baby!

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

I'm back, baby!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-13, 04:14 AM
JonnyV

Bikes: 2012 Fuji Altamira 1.0. 2017 Lynskey R250

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 5 Posts
I'm back, baby!

Well, kind of. The wife has given me permission to build a new bike. We're strapped for cash, what with a newborn (our first. Hopefully my future riding buddy but currently my buddy, nonetheless) and saving for a house. So, a budget in mind I worked a deal with the shop I used to run. Going to start with a Surly Karate Monkey frame. Truvativ t40 cockpit. Oury grips. Truvativ Stylo 1.1 crank, WTB fx28 ss wheels, WTB Silverado saddle, Small Block 8 tires, and my old Avid BB5 brakes and old XT pedals. It'll be kinda heavy. And with a 32x18 or 20 gearing, climbing will be a challenge. But most of my riding will be at the Allegrippis trails or rails to trails with my son in a trailer so I'm thinking the gearing will be fine. Does anyone ride the Karate Monkey? What are your thoughts on it?
Old 04-25-13, 05:13 AM
Cfiber
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you were single, I could see a KM. However, since you're married, I think that an Ogre would be more suitable, because you can haul cargo, carry groceries, climb hills, attach a trailer, and transport your baby better, than you could with a KM. The Surly website says that the KM is faster than the Ogre. I don't quite see how that's possible given the fact that they both have the same geometry and wheel diameter. Since when is a single speed designed to be faster than a multi-geared bicycle. Still love the KM though, I just like the Ogre more. God, I love Surly bikes! At any rate, something tells me that you're on to something!