Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Santa Ana River Trail-Less safe now ?

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Santa Ana River Trail-Less safe now ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-17, 03:35 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Thanks guys!
Old 07-16-17, 08:52 PM
jimxyz

Bikes: Baum Corretto - Felt F1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't get out this weekend, but the city was posting notices that all campers would be removed soon to allow for some renovation work that will supposedly include new fencing that will discourage the return of the tents. The downside, due to a lawsuit last time the city cleared the riverbed area they will now have to pack up all the personal belongings and transport them to a storage facility where they will be held for 90 days before being discarded. Sounds expensive...
Old 07-17-17, 07:48 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 987 Posts
Originally Posted by jimxyz
I didn't get out this weekend, but the city was posting notices that all campers would be removed soon to allow for some renovation work that will supposedly include new fencing that will discourage the return of the tents. The downside, due to a lawsuit last time the city cleared the riverbed area they will now have to pack up all the personal belongings and transport them to a storage facility where they will be held for 90 days before being discarded. Sounds expensive...
That's probably why the homeless disappeared in the Fountain Valley area a few weeks ago:

Fountain Valley Homeless Community on Santa Ana River Driven Out by County Workers | OC Weekly

There's always a spot or two in the river bottom where crews are working to clear last winter's debris build-up, but it never seemed to coordinate with where the encampments were located. This seems like its maintenance work on the levees during the week, which makes sense since that's when its least-used by the public.
Old 07-18-17, 02:48 PM
bikeme

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
That's probably why the homeless disappeared in the Fountain Valley area a few weeks ago:

Fountain Valley Homeless Community on Santa Ana River Driven Out by County Workers | OC Weekly

There's always a spot or two in the river bottom where crews are working to clear last winter's debris build-up, but it never seemed to coordinate with where the encampments were located. This seems like its maintenance work on the levees during the week, which makes sense since that's when its least-used by the public.
I hopped on the trail at Edinger on 7/18 and it was tent city across the way down from Santa Ana--probably the FV crowd shoved inland by the riverbed work. I've never seen so many living along the river. Every single overpass had people under them as well as debris and belongings that had slid down. I was going to head north up PCH and then back on the same route but I instead opted to go south and came back through the Back Bay and on the SD Creek trail so I didn't have to go on SART again.

Last edited by bikeme; 07-18-17 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-18-17, 06:42 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Originally Posted by jimxyz
. . . and here's the details:

OC Public Works to Evict Homeless from the Honda Center Side of the Santa Ana Riverbank | Voice of OC
Old 07-19-17, 11:02 AM
mwalsh5757

Bikes: His & Hers 1966 Schwinn Collegiates (Mom and Dad), 3 1998 GT Palomars (The Twins and the Red Headed Step)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The migration further north is well under way - many more tents on "my" stretch of the trail now between Ball/Taft and Lincoln. What a pisser.
Old 07-19-17, 11:37 AM
TJClay

Bikes: Domane Project One, 6 series, Ui2

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mwalsh5757
The migration further north is well under way - many more tents on "my" stretch of the trail now between Ball/Taft and Lincoln. What a pisser.

it's also headed farther south. the tents are popping up everywhere, I'm just not understanding why its allowed, I can't just go camp anywhere I please. this is a multi use trail that most people wont use anymore. why are our tax dollars being used for clean up, after these people who are basically trespassing on public land.
Old 07-25-17, 01:06 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by popeye
My advise when this happens is to whip out the cell phone and start recording. They suddenly get religion. Now that I have been banished from the SART to Irvine it's a whole nother world.
Well here is the latest from the Register:

Santa Ana River Trail walkers, cyclists fear homeless, give up outdoor ?jewel? ? Orange County Register

Welcome to Irvine it's a whole new world and I end my rides in a better state of mind. I'm catching up on my climbing as well.
Old 07-27-17, 08:49 PM
ZippyThePinhead
Slacker

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX8

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Not SART, but close enough. A R e d d i t thread regarding a homeless guy on SGRT with a machete, maybe playing possum.

My buddy and I were riding the bike path here in San Gabriel Valley, CA. It's a great dedicated bike path (class I) that leads from the Inland Empire to Seal Beach. It's been hot the past few days (90-100 degrees F). My friend and I encounter a man passed out in one lane of the two way bike path. He looks homeless.

Nonetheless I suggest we stop and help him. My friend says we'll ride to the next overpass and call the police; he has a bad feeling about this situation. I feel hesitant at first because if it's emergency we can help this guy then and there. But he urges us to push on to the next overpass which intersects with a major road.

He calls 911 and an ambulance comes. As the EMTs/paramedics make their way to the man, the man gets up, pulls out a machete and then runs in to the bush/riverbed.
If my friend and I had gotten up close enough to this guy, he could've attacked us. The first responders told us that this happens often: Guy will play passed out and jump up and attack and rob someone (mostly between Downey and Cerritos).

Be careful out there.
Old 07-28-17, 07:37 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
I'm trying to figure out how the SGRT goes to the Inland Empire? Could somebody tell me how that is done?
And what is a class I bike path. Bikes only? There are always people walking or pushing a shopping cart on these paths.
What does the comment "Welcome to Irvine It's A Whole New World" mean?
Old 07-28-17, 09:06 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Originally Posted by trailangel
I'm trying to figure out how the SGRT goes to the Inland Empire? Could somebody tell me how that is done?
And what is a class I bike path. Bikes only? There are always people walking or pushing a shopping cart on these paths.
SGRT going to the Inland Empire? IT doesn't
Class I Bike Path - an off-street or street-protected bike path. Basically no vehicle access, but you'll see a lot of walkers/joggers/stroller pushing parents on it, too.
Irvine (City of Irvine) - Its a master-planned community in central/south Orange County with a population of about 200,000. Lots of 'uniformity' (conformity?) in the community's layout, bland colors on everything, advertised as one of the safest communities to live in with great schools, low crime, and lots of 'professional' people. Only one 'token' 7-Eleven store in the whole place. To me its blandness leaves it with no identity whatsoever. Lot of folks like it that way and will pay a premium to live there, but I'm not one of them. I lived there for five years and that was enough.
Old 07-28-17, 09:15 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Originally Posted by popeye
Well here is the latest from the Register:

Santa Ana River Trail walkers, cyclists fear homeless, give up outdoor ?jewel? ? Orange County Register

Welcome to Irvine it's a whole new world and I end my rides in a better state of mind. I'm catching up on my climbing as well.
I wouldn't put too much faith the Dave Whiting or any of the articles he writes for the OC Register. Typical of a lot of newspaper columns these days, its tends to be filled with overembellishments, dramatic prose, and even some sensationalism. I'm pretty sure Mr. Whiting went out there during the week, when there are not a lot of folks (besides homeless) on the SART, so he could justify writing a column that contrasts a lack of SART users with an overabundance of homeless. While there are a lot of homeless out there, and not many bicyclists during the week, on weekends the SART will be filled with bicycle riders, walkers, and others. The area near the Stadium is a little unnerving, but just slow down when riding through there and you shouldn't have any problems.
Old 07-28-17, 04:10 PM
Sewellymon

Bikes: S- Works Tarmac, Bianchi Infinito CV, Spot Rollick 27.5'r, YETI ASR 29'r

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just FYI- SGRT is virtually homeless- free in the previously "tent- city" areas near 60 and 10....
Old 07-29-17, 08:01 PM
TGT1

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
The tent city near the 60 complete with generator, rope lighting and a disco ball got cleaned out late last year after one of the domiciles south of the 60 and along the back wall of the storage place caught fire. from Whittier Narrows north it's clear now, with just the few unobtrusive regulars north of the dam that have been there for years. Last fall before the rains came there was a concerted effort to clean out the camps in the riverbed down around Firestone, complete with Hazmat suited cleanup crews.

There's a likely end game for the SART camps like the SGRT 60 camp, but given the compact and crowded nature, it could with the wrong wind conditions turn into a multi-casualty event if someone kicks over a stove with the wrong wind conditions.

Don't think the local pols and other enablers have figured that into their virtue signaling.
Old 08-01-17, 02:03 PM
HBCruiser1

Bikes: 3G Isla Vista Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
...What does the comment "Welcome to Irvine It's A Whole New World" mean?
It's interesting how there's homeless problems around OC and especially along the SART, but I don't see homeless along the Irvine bike trails. Maybe the homeless don't like Irvine!
Old 08-01-17, 08:58 PM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
Irvine doesn't like or put up with the homeless.
Jon
Old 08-01-17, 09:29 PM
little.old.lady

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Newspaper

They had an article in the newspaper recently talking about how dangerous that bike path can be!
Old 08-02-17, 07:37 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Originally Posted by HBCruiser1
It's interesting how there's homeless problems around OC and especially along the SART, but I don't see homeless along the Irvine bike trails. Maybe the homeless don't like Irvine!
Lots of OC cities do things to discourage the homeless from taking up residence, Irvine is not unique. HB has locked out all electric outlets on public building exteriors, put unique handle connectors on water faucets, and patrols the beach and parks at night to try and keep homeless from sleeping in those areas.

A big reason the homeless population started building up on the Angel Stadium-side of the SART is there used to be a OC Social Services center in that area on the (City of) ORange side of the river. The homeless lived on that side of the river, away from the SART bike trail, so they had easy access to that facility and no residents complaining about them. The Social Services building was vacated due to underground contamination that was seeping into the building, and public works moved them out to do levee maintenance in that area and other areas along the river channel.
Old 08-05-17, 10:02 PM
r8dr_rider

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These bike paths are a mess. I just rode to Seal Beach this morning and saw some guy in the middle of the path at 9AM in the morning slamming heroine. Go in a damn bush and do that crap.
Old 08-12-17, 10:12 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
It means I'm done with the SART for Irvine and my mental and physical health are all the better for it. Pleasant surroundings, easy food and lots of climbs. Oh and no death threats, guns, loose dogs or shopping carts rolled down at me from underpass.
Old 08-18-17, 10:55 PM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
I think if I ride the SART I'll take my two best friends with me--Mssrs Smith and Wesson.
Jon
Old 08-27-17, 12:11 AM
bikeme

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts
Heads up, woman attacked 8/26/17. From her/our group's Facebook post:

PSA for my fellow road riders:
DO NOT RIDE SART ALONE!
Today I was riding solo and was rammed by a man on a bike. He had another man with him on a skateboard that seemed to help corner me. The guy on the bike made two attempts to knock me off my bike before I was able to get away. It is a sad day for me but I have to admit that it is no longer safe to ride through the homeless encampments.

Thank you all for your comments. I was on my way to watch the fight with the group and didn't stop riding till I got to the destination. I called the non emergency line for Anaheim PD and they said to come in tomorrow to file a report.
Old 08-27-17, 07:11 AM
trailangel

That's messed up.
How about vigilante justice if the authorities are going to do nothing?
Old 08-27-17, 07:24 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
When I lived in Rancho Cucamonga, the local police actually rode the Pacific Electric Trail. Imagine that, regular police patrols to protect law abiding citizens.
Old 08-27-17, 07:33 AM
trailangel

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
When I lived in Rancho Cucamonga, the local police actually rode the Pacific Electric Trail. Imagine that, regular police patrols to protect law abiding citizens.
That's a great idea.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.