Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Cold weather sympathy from fellow shopper

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-17, 12:09 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts

I was putting my groceries in my bike bags outside an aldi today. It was in the 30s with significant wind. While I was arrainging egg cartons an old lady offered me her gloves. I explained that I had gloves and would put them on shortly. Its amazing how some folks can't imagine riding in the cold to the store. She was as sweet as could be but I think she thought I was living a marginal exsistance.
Old 01-27-17, 01:41 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
That was sweet of her. I always try to carry a pair of gloves with me in case I run across anybody who needs them. It's a self-perpetuating thing, because friends often give me their old gloves so I can pass them on to somebody who needs them.

It is kinda funny that some people who see you riding or walking in cold weather assume that it's because you "have to", not because you want to!

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-27-17, 10:24 AM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 198 Posts
I got a fun reaction last night, it was about 20° and there was half an inch of fresh snow covering everything when I left work - as I was standing next to my bike, unlocking it and prepping for the short ride home, a guy walks out of the door of the building I work in and stopped in his tracks. He stared at me entranced, in the same way I would expect a 5 year old child to stare if I had been loading a sleigh pulled by eight tiny reindeer. After a few seconds, "you ride... a bike?!?" Me: "yes."
Old 01-27-17, 04:28 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Originally Posted by lasauge
I got a fun reaction last night, it was about 20° and there was half an inch of fresh snow covering everything when I left work - as I was standing next to my bike, unlocking it and prepping for the short ride home, a guy walks out of the door of the building I work in and stopped in his tracks. He stared at me entranced, in the same way I would expect a 5 year old child to stare if I had been loading a sleigh pulled by eight tiny reindeer. After a few seconds, "you ride... a bike?!?" Me: "yes."
I love doing something other folks think is herculean. If they only knew I feel like I am getting away with something every time I ride.
Old 01-27-17, 04:31 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by Roody
That was sweet of her. I always try to carry a pair of gloves with me in case I run across anybody who needs them. It's a self-perpetuating thing, because friends often give me their old gloves so I can pass them on to somebody who needs them.

It is kinda funny that some people who see you riding or walking in cold weather assume that it's because you "have to", not because you want to!
Its wonderful what you do with the gloves. I'm an atheist but if I make it to heaven I'll save you a spot.

Boy that doesn't sound right at all.
Old 01-27-17, 08:44 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts

If I'm doing anything outside when it's in the 30s, it's because I absolutely have to.

Of course, I live in a place where that rarely happens.
Old 01-29-17, 01:39 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by 52telecaster
I love doing something other folks think is herculean. If they only knew I feel like I am getting away with something every time I ride.
I just think how much easier it is to ride a bike four or five miles than it is to scrape ice off the car windows.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-29-17, 08:17 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2671 Post(s)
Liked 1,151 Times in 872 Posts
no matter how hard one tries to it's hard not to feel a certain "smugness" in riding the uncomfortable days
Old 01-30-17, 09:31 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by jack pot
no matter how hard one tries to it's hard not to feel a certain "smugness" in riding the uncomfortable days
Sounds like we could be in a south park episode. It is fun riding in bad weather.
Old 01-30-17, 10:49 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
It's people like her that re-affirm my faith in mankind. It's a special experience when someone you never met before has your back.
Old 01-30-17, 04:06 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
when i was riding home one summer in 118F a driver pulled up next to me and the passenger offered me an icy cold unopened sports drink. unfortunately i had to decline with generous 'thank yous' as i had no where to quickly put it.
Old 02-02-17, 01:40 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by noisebeam
when i was riding home one summer in 118F a driver pulled up next to me and the passenger offered me an icy cold unopened sports drink. unfortunately i had to decline with generous 'thank yous' as i had no where to quickly put it.
At 118 degrees, I would have quickly put it down my shorts!

The kindest thing a driver did for me was during a horrible thunderstorm. He pulled alongside me and offered me a ride. Unfortunately, I thought he was trying to run me off the road and I just yelled AARGGGHHH!!!! As he pulled off I finally figured out what he was doing. He was willing to stop in that storm and let me drench his passenger seat. That was extremely kind. I noticed he had a pizza delivery sign on his truck roof. The next day I stopped by the pizza place and told the manager how nice he was and how ungracious I was. The manager said he would tell the guy next time he worked. I hope he did.

"Think Outside the Cage"

Last edited by Roody; 02-02-17 at 01:45 AM.
Old 02-02-17, 02:42 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

At 118 degrees, I would have quickly put it down my shorts!

The kindest thing a driver did for me was during a horrible thunderstorm. He pulled alongside me and offered me a ride. Unfortunately, I thought he was trying to run me off the road and I just yelled AARGGGHHH!!!! As he pulled off I finally figured out what he was doing. He was willing to stop in that storm and let me drench his passenger seat. That was extremely kind. I noticed he had a pizza delivery sign on his truck roof. The next day I stopped by the pizza place and told the manager how nice he was and how ungracious I was. The manager said he would tell the guy next time he worked. I hope he did.
Roody you are a great guy.
Old 02-03-17, 01:18 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by 52telecaster
Roody you are a great guy.
I could tell you a story that would make you think otherwise, again about a motorist who was just trying to be nice.

During rush hour, I was making a left turn from a 2-way onto another 2-way. I was making a legal "VC" left turn. A car pulled alongside me right in the middle of the intersection, which is rather disconcerting to a cyclist. The driver was also yelling and gesturing, but I couldn't tell what he was trying to communicate. Assuming that he was trying to give me a hard time about riding in the street, I made a more unambiguous gesture with one finger of one hand. The next day at work, a co-worker told me that he saw me riding and he waved at me, but I just gave him the finger. Worse yet, he had his little son with him and he had to explain what my gesture was all about. I apologized profusely but he just laughed and said he figured it was something like that.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 02-03-17, 05:14 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The next day at work, a co-worker told me that he saw me riding and he waved at me, but I just gave him the finger. Worse yet, he had his little son with him and he had to explain what my gesture was all about. I apologized profusely but he just laughed and said he figured it was something like that.
The kid obviously needed an education.

In recent years my policy with everybody is the same. Wave enthusiastically. If they know you, you've acknowledged them. If they're angry and yelling and you know it then embrace the freak idiot in you and wave harder and smile.

To get angry is to follow the program they laid out for you with their aggression. Continuing to enjoy your ride gives them no satisfaction.
Old 02-05-17, 06:04 AM
John_1961
LOVE TO BIKE

Bikes: GIANT OCR 3 / Jamis Renegade Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love those types of looks and or the comments that you get from pepole that do drive here and there lol I just lagh

Last edited by John_1961; 02-05-17 at 06:05 AM. Reason: spelling mistake OYYY
Old 02-05-17, 09:57 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
I love the people who, when seeing you on your bike, in the cold, or riding in the snow, ask how you do it, and aren't you cold. Then they get into the SUV that gets 6 mpg and drive four hours to go skiing in the same or colder weather. Then they need to buy lift tickets, and some will pay to rent equipment.
A few ski trips cost more than my ten or fifteen year old snow bikes. I get a few years out of one set of studded tires.
Old 02-05-17, 10:01 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I get the same reaction from people from time to time when I ride home at night in cold weather. My favorite though was when I ran into a fellow bike commuter and he said that he liked the cold weather because it kept the riff raff down since there were fewer bike commuters out there.
Old 02-06-17, 01:32 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by Walter S
The kid obviously needed an education.

In recent years my policy with everybody is the same. Wave enthusiastically. If they know you, you've acknowledged them. If they're angry and yelling and you know it then embrace the freak idiot in you and wave harder and smile.

To get angry is to follow the program they laid out for you with their aggression. Continuing to enjoy your ride gives them no satisfaction.
But sometimes it's enjoyable to get angry! The trick I'm trying to develop is to get angry without intimidating or shutting down the person I'm angry at. Sometimes I can pull this off.

Once a carful of teenagers passed me on a side street, then stopped short right in front of me. I was mad, and I told them I was mad and explained why. They were mad at me because they had to go around me on a narrow street. Somehow we managed to engage in a conversation about the frustrations of sharing the road with others who have different needs than you do. We had a pretty productive conversation there in the middle of the street, with me standing with my bike and them rolling down the windows of their car. Eventually a couple cars being blocked started honking at us to get out of the way. We all laughed about that and went on our way. Nothing was solved or accomplished, but at least we could all feel good about expressing our anger in a non-destructive manner.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 02-10-17, 09:04 PM
pBFa1

Bikes: noname grey road bike

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lol, sorry to had that awkward experience.
I live in the very wintery Winnipeg, Canada, and when people say "you cycled today? it's cold! you're crazy," -- i usually say "aren't we all? we gotta be to staying living here in Winnipeg in this weather."
Old 02-12-17, 12:32 AM
mr geeker
Day trip lover

Bikes: '16 Giant Escape 3 (fair weather ride), Giant Quasar (work in progress), 2002 saturn vue (crap weather ride)

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
...My favorite though was when I ran into a fellow bike commuter and he said that he liked the cold weather because it kept the riff raff down since there were fewer bike commuters out there.