Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Finding a Good Candidate MTB For a Drop Bar Conversion?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Finding a Good Candidate MTB For a Drop Bar Conversion?

Old 09-09-19, 09:30 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
Just keep the center chainring and lose the other two, derailleur, and shifter? Or add a new crank? If it's a value build, it's not likely to be the latter.
I am using the original crankset on my Rockhopper 1 x 7. I flipped the BB spindle and use the outer ring position.
Old 09-09-19, 11:50 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
Originally Posted by due ruote
You might be able to trim a bit of weight by going with a 1 x drivetrain. 6 or 7 gears is plenty for most commuters unless it’s really hilly, and simplicity is good for maintenance and for keeping the rider focused on traffic.
Old 09-10-19, 10:35 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 225 Posts
I just sold a Miyata Trail Runner that I built up from a frame and fork at the Bike Exchange. If you are looking for a superbe candidate for a city bike this fits the bill. It has a Lugged double butted Cro Mo frame and fork, with Forged dropouts complete with adjusters. I fitted it out with 1.75 x 26" street tires , trigger shifters for the 3 x 7 drive train and 2" riser bars. All up the bike, which is a extra large frame, weighs 30 lbs.
Here is a link to a build
Ryan's Rebuilds: N+1? 1986 Miyata Trail Runner Lugged Steel Mountain Bike
Old 09-11-19, 07:41 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 575 Posts
Why not an old touring bike? I see decent inexpensive 80's and 90's tourers for sale fairly often. They're light, have good brakes, relaxed geometry, will usually accept larger tires than a regular road bike and have rack and fender eyelets. I snagged this '85 Voyageur last year for $100, it needed the tires aired up and the chain oiled. I saw a LeTour Luxe of the same vintage with cantis and the front and rear Schwinn approved Blackburn racks for $100 this year. It wasn't quite as nice but for $100 it was nice enough. If I hadn't already had this one I would have grabbed it, it was on CL for almost a month.

Old 09-23-19, 06:19 PM
estasnyc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Just an update. I found my niece a 15" Trek Multitrack 720.

There are several numeric and alphanumeric codes on the bottom bracket shell. The alphanumeric code that appears to be the serial number indicates that it may be a 1994 model.

My primary concern was finding the right size bike for her which this one is. Anything else would be an extra. Shimano Altus does the job but isn't outstanding. Having a rear wheel with a freehub was a pleasant surprise because the other bikes I looked at on Craig's List had Shimano Megarange freewheels.

It turns out that she was never keen on getting anything with a drop bar and is happy with this handlebar.

Last edited by estasnyc; 09-23-19 at 06:26 PM.
Likes For estasnyc:
Old 09-23-19, 07:02 PM
smoothness 

Bikes: Centurions, Shoguns, and Stumpjumpers

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by estasnyc
Just an update. I found my niece a 15" Trek Multitrack 720. It turns out that she was never keen on getting anything with a drop bar and is happy with this handlebar.
A thing that many shade-tree bicycle mechanics tend to overlook.

When meeting people looking for new bicycles, I've found a very common issue is that they "don't feel right/don't like their bicycle." When their bicycle is presented, I've almost always found the culprit to be a poor fit, and usually too big. While a number of mechanics and C&V are cognizant of this issue, there are still a ton of people who think that any height range outside of 5'8" - 6' (average height of white male) is "for a super tiny person" or "for a giant."

I've solved many comfort issues with a "realistic" fit: a shorter stem with more rise/more stack height, and no drop bars. That's right. I think drop bars are stupid for the average consumer.

[jumps off soap box. b/c short.]
Old 09-23-19, 07:21 PM
67tony 

Bikes: 1987 Centurion Ironman Master, 1992 Koga Miyata Exerciser, 1992 Schwinn Crosscut

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 91 Posts
Get her a good mixte.
Old 09-24-19, 12:18 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
@estasnyc

Looks good