Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Target/Kmart/Big W bike or an actual bike shop?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Target/Kmart/Big W bike or an actual bike shop?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-19, 10:46 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
4 frame sizes?...So a decent fit for about 1/4 of the population.
This is probably the worst problem with HelMart bikes. They are a one size fits all solution but people aren't "one size". My wife suffered from this problem for years. It even took a long time to convince her that her bike was sized wrong because she had gotten used to a bike that was far too big for her. The right sized bike just didn't "feel right". She is only 5' tall and her first "10 speed" was a bike for me...a 58cm (or 23", for the metrically challenged). Her current bike is a 43cm with 650C wheels so it's even smaller than a "regular" bike. For those who don't think this is that much of a problem, try riding a bike that that is 7" to 10" larger then the one you ride now. For me that would be the equivalent of 30" (76 cm) to 33" (83 cm) bike. I can't swaddle either one nor could she straddle a 23".

I've owned 38 bikes over the last 40 years due to technology changes. She's owned almost as many simple trying to find one that was the right size. Discount stores just perpetuate the problem.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-17-19, 11:45 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
​​​​​​​But you do you.
The web site couldn't even get the color right:

"Finished in a beautiful gold paint."
Old 12-17-19, 12:33 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
From a bicycle shop, they should be able to help you pick the right bike for you, in the right size, with support and advice, in addition to providing quality service (as with everything-some will be better than others). You'll get none of that from a big box store, plus the bike itself will not be up to the quality of bikes handled by a bicycle shop. Big box bikes will usually have lower quality materials used for the frame and components, and generally will just not function as well, especially if not assembled correctly (guessing you've seen pics of Wally bikes with forks installed backwards). They are usually much heavier as well. There is a reason why bicycle shops exist, and can get more cash for the initial purchase--the product is actually better and worth the difference.
Old 12-17-19, 05:30 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 259 Posts
Answers like 12 inches of Wrong, and 15 inches of Wrong???
Please elaborate on exactly because everything I wrote there is accurate and factually correct!
You dislike it but you have no meaningful response so you resort to a childish response such as this.
There is nothing necessarilly wrong with having a strong opinion and disliking a product for whatever reason.
The fact is that there are many folks that like that 30 pound KENT GMC Denali 21 speed Road Bike.
The bikeforums thread on it approaches 40 pages or more, with those that state that it is decent enough for what it is, and you
also have a good number of folks there that slam it as being too heavy and too low rent to even consider.
If you don't like the KENT GMC Denali, then fine, but don't state something that is obviously childish and false, because what I did
write is accurate. The KENT GMC Denali is available in several sizes. The specific Model part numbers were identified.
It is a 30 pound bike with 21 speeds. There are people who have ridden it thousands of miles. My friend is one of them.
She did in fact ride a slightly modified Kent GMC Denali 21 speed to WIN her age division at the CLEMSON Triathlon in 2019.
It was not her first Victory aboard the Kent GMC Denali 21speed. Her bike is a 2012 model. She has many more than
several thousand miles on this bicycle. A telephone call with her, just moments ago and she says that just during calendar year
2019, since Jan 1st, on just that 2012 Kent GMC Denali 21 bike, her computer records indicate 1258.6 miles from JAN 1st, 2019
through 4:30 eastern time on Tuesday DEC 17th, 2019. Well that is 1258 miles this year so far and she says that she has likely
ridden it well over 1000 miles during each year since 2012.
That is easily more than 7000 miles. I would say it is a durable bicycle!
Yes, you may detest that it is a bicycle that is not sold in a proper bike store, but the fact remains that these are very functional and dependable
bicycles. Yes, it is 30 pounds and it is old fashioned technology. It is inexpensive. It is dependable.
It certainly might not be for everybody's needs but it does not pretend to be a challenger to a high-tech, high dollar, lightweight bike.
There are plenty of folks that might find that the Kent GMC Denali will satisfy their needs and budget.
It is a very good bike at a very low cost.
There are obviously many others who agree. See YOUTUBE and GOOGLE for more as this bike does have a cult following.
There are many others that just hate the thought of anyone buying such a Low Priced NEW bike that does not come from a proper bike shop.
This bicycle represents good value for the dollars spent if you're simply seeking a basic bicycle and not the latest in technology.
I suggest that you get in touch with someone at KENT INTERNATIONAL 973-434-8181 between 9AM and 4PM EASTERN TIME for more
specifics on production and retailers that carry their products.
https://www.kent.bike/where-to-buy
https://www.kent.bike/bikes/gmc/
Be sure to visit YOUTUBE and see the many videos of those that are very satisfied with their Kent GMC Denali 21 speed bicycles.
Be sure to see the many YOUTUBE videos of folks that have customized and upgraded their Kent GMC Denali 21 speed bikes.
This bicycle has been around a long time, and there are many folks that do like this bicycle. That is a fact.
There are plenty of folks who detest Walmart/Target and bikes that do not come from proper bike shops. That is a fact.
There are plenty of durable, dependable bicycles that many in the bicycle community detest and refer to as boat-anchor,
gas-pipe, or BSO, because those bicycles do not fit within the deemed narrow acceptable parameters of what a bicycle should be to
that certain segment of the bicycling community.
Old 12-17-19, 05:47 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,807 Posts
Dude, stop with the uninterrupted walls of text with random (and often inappropriately used) strings of capital letters and odd punctuation. It doesn't matter if your statements are accurate and your opinions are well-supported (I wouldn't know, I can't make my way through it); just looking at it gives us all a headache, and anyone attempting to read it (most of us just skip it) is going to go in with a bias against your comments due to the terrible aesthetics of it.
Likes For himespau:
Old 12-17-19, 05:57 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
As can be seen from the testimony on this page, sometimes cheap bikes do last. But many other times, they don't. Why take the chance?

You're always going to do much better on the used market. You'll end up with a bike that is built better, lasts longer, and provides a nicer ride.
Old 12-17-19, 06:32 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3665 Post(s)
Liked 5,413 Times in 2,751 Posts
Wow. Now up to 18 inches on my small laptop!! I'm sorry your friend has to ride a BSO and sorry you have to use a computer that generates random caps and other weirdness. Life isn't fair
Old 12-17-19, 07:28 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage Schwinn
Answers like 12 inches of Wrong, and 15 inches of Wrong???
Please elaborate on exactly because everything I wrote there is accurate and factually correct!
You dislike it but you have no meaningful response so you resort to a childish response such as this.
There is nothing necessarilly wrong with having a strong opinion and disliking a product for whatever reason.
The fact is that there are many folks that like that 30 pound KENT GMC Denali 21 speed Road Bike.
The bikeforums thread on it approaches 40 pages or more, with those that state that it is decent enough for what it is, and you
also have a good number of folks there that slam it as being too heavy and too low rent to even consider.
If you don't like the KENT GMC Denali, then fine, but don't state something that is obviously childish and false, because what I did
write is accurate. The KENT GMC Denali is available in several sizes. The specific Model part numbers were identified.
It is a 30 pound bike with 21 speeds. There are people who have ridden it thousands of miles. My friend is one of them.
She did in fact ride a slightly modified Kent GMC Denali 21 speed to WIN her age division at the CLEMSON Triathlon in 2019.
It was not her first Victory aboard the Kent GMC Denali 21speed. Her bike is a 2012 model. She has many more than
several thousand miles on this bicycle. A telephone call with her, just moments ago and she says that just during calendar year
2019, since Jan 1st, on just that 2012 Kent GMC Denali 21 bike, her computer records indicate 1258.6 miles from JAN 1st, 2019
through 4:30 eastern time on Tuesday DEC 17th, 2019. Well that is 1258 miles this year so far and she says that she has likely
ridden it well over 1000 miles during each year since 2012.
That is easily more than 7000 miles. I would say it is a durable bicycle!
Yes, you may detest that it is a bicycle that is not sold in a proper bike store, but the fact remains that these are very functional and dependable
bicycles. Yes, it is 30 pounds and it is old fashioned technology. It is inexpensive. It is dependable.
It certainly might not be for everybody's needs but it does not pretend to be a challenger to a high-tech, high dollar, lightweight bike.
There are plenty of folks that might find that the Kent GMC Denali will satisfy their needs and budget.
It is a very good bike at a very low price.
It also is apparently no longer being made. You have now written about 3 feet of gush about a bike that isn't available. One of the articles you linked had been updated to note that.

I don't care one way or the other if it's a good bike for the price if it's no longer being sold.
Old 12-17-19, 07:31 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
As can be seen from the testimony on this page, sometimes cheap bikes do last. But many other times, they don't. Why take the chance?

You're always going to do much better on the used market. You'll end up with a bike that is built better, lasts longer, and provides a nicer ride.
If you know what you're doing. You can also get screwed or, even worse, unknowingly buy a stolen bike.
Old 12-17-19, 07:39 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
It is a 30 pound bike with 21 speeds.
several thousand miles on this bicycle. A telephone call with her, just moments ago and she says that just during calendar year 2019, since Jan 1st, on just that 2012 Kent GMC Denali 21 bike, her computer records indicate 1258.6 miles from JAN 1st, 2019 through 4:30 eastern time on Tuesday DEC 17th, 2019. Well that is 1258 miles this year so far and she says that she has likely ridden it well over 1000 miles during each year since 2012.
That is easily more than 7000 miles.
Dude, we get it. You seem to like the 21 speed GMC Denali.
1258 miles is a months worth of riding for some here. More like 2-3 months for the rest of us here. It would take me a year & 2 months to equal your daughters last 7 years in total.

One of my favorite bikes is a 1974 Schwinn Varsity. 3500 miles this year alone. But to say it's anything but a highly polished turd isn't just an opinion...it's just wrong.

How much of the original GMC Denali is left? Is she riding the ship of Theseus? Well, that's sort of the point. New wheels, new drivetrain, new crankset, new shifters...None of that requires attention (besides a chain every 3500 miles) for a higher quality bike.

Sure a cheap derailleur cost $20, then the cable, then the housing, then the guy to put it on, then the monthly adjustments...Or, a $60 derailleur, one time that goes 35,000 miles. Or a 25,000 mile shifter that shifts 900 times per ride...Or, or, or. No one is saying the 21 speed GMC Denali is garbage. What people are saying is it is at best a recreational quality bike loaded with false economy.

You keep saying it's a 30 pound bike with 21 speeds like any of that is a good thing. Lets see you change out a chain ring when chain suck sets in. Will it be a single $20 28 tooth ring or will it be an $80 stamped steel spot-welded complete assembly? What about the 7 speed freewheel? How much to pay a shop to overhaul a hub & or replace a bent axle versus pressing in 2 6902 bearings?

The point is: Any action requiring repair costs more than the bike itself cost. It is an example of low quality disposable consumerism at it's worst. Is it suitable as a bridge to meet an immediate need for low income desperation? Sure. Is it a bike an enthusiast will find economy in? Probably not.

It's intended use is: Bridge an immediate need for a temporary economic situation. It probably fits that roll well. Quit feeling indignant others make different more economically sound choices in life.

Base2 out
<mic drop>

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 12-17-19, 07:44 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
You are missing the point. Recently manufactured HelMart bikes are beyond poorly made. They are essentially nonfunctional from the factory. If I only saw one or two of these kinds of bikes with bearings ground to dust, I would chalk it up to an anomaly. But I've seen dozens of them. I have never seen a bike with bearings that are worn out to the point of being not just unround but hemispherical. I hold my breath each time I have to remove a bottom bracket from one of them because I don't know if the bottom bracket cups will hold together long enough to be removed. Given that something so cheap should be so cheaply made, it makes me wonder about the quality of the frames. And, if the bottom bracket does break apart, the bike is scrap. There is no way to remove a bottom bracket that is essentially cross threaded in the frame.

Additionally, just changing the rear derailer doesn't necessarily make it into a functioning bike. There are still too many warts to fix to make the bike reach even that low bar.

Additionally,
I have expensive bikes and I have WalMart bikes as well. What you are saying here is not entirely accurate. I do agree with you that often times staff at the store do not put the bikes together properly. There are some of the bikes when put together properly are actually good bicycles that will last you a while (they will be low thrills with no hydraulic brakes and they will weigh more) but still good bikes for most of the public. If you do your homework you can find models that are easily upgrade able (actually learn something more about bicycles by upgrading some of the parts). It’s a win win because the big box store bicycles allow people to become bicyclists even though they don’t have a couple thousand dollars to throw into the sport.

If if you buy one be sure to check that it’s put together properly. You can spend 45$ to have your local bike shop go over it and dial it in properly or you can do that yourself (plenty of YouTube videos on this subject).
Old 12-17-19, 07:50 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Somewhere in Iowa, a cat-troll seethes.

I'm under the impression that if you do buy from a big box store, you will generally do better at Dick's than Walmart, but may pay a small amount more. Do others see it this way? Might be helpful to OP.
Yes I think you are right. Dick’s has some basic good quality bikes in the $500 to $700 range.
Old 12-17-19, 09:28 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
There are decent, acceptable bicycles that will ride well and last a long time that are being sold today at Walmart, Target and other places like Kmart, Academy, Dicks, and on the web for less than $200.
The coaster brake, one piece crank, single speed with steel frame and spring saddle seat and fenders with an old-style traditional northroads/beach cruiser handle bar is
an extremely good value at Wallyworld. Often these are sometimes near the $100 price point on sale and sometimes are seen at $88 about three times per year.
Now, having said that they are decent, durable bicycles.......WHAT are those bicycles negative points, well, the really crummy things are the Horrible Handlebars which will rust or look horrible painted black, and the rise, width and slight curve of those bars is generally not all that comfortable or pleasing to the eye. Very simple solution is to go on Ebay and purchase a clean Used set of SCHWINN made "northRoad" style chrome handlebars FROM any 1965 to 1979 SCHWINN Breeze, Racer, Collegiate, Suburban, Speedster, or any other applicable SCHWINN model from that era. (IF YOU NEED HELP DETERMINING THOSE MODELS, GO SEARCH AND LOOK AT THE SCHWINN CATALOG for every year model from the early sixties to 1980.................just start by picking any year from 1961 to 1980 and GOOGLE that Schwinn catalog and you should see a Waterford link that will have all those catalogs for you to scroll through. I'm not going to make this a technical post with the various minor differences among the different NorthRoad bars, as there are some slight differences, for example some have approx 3 inch rise, and some are about 3 1/2 and some are about 4 1/8 inch rise................width typically is between 22 inches and 23 1/4 inches wide on these, although you can find earlier examples on other older Schwinn bikes that get wider and you also can find a few later ones that are closer to 20 inches wide. I RECOMMEND THESE ANCIENT USED SCHWINN HANDLEBARS BECAUSE THE SHAPE(form) IS EXCELLENT AND COMFORTABLE, and 21 3/4 to 23 1/2 inches WIDE will GIVE THE RIDER GREAT CONTROL AND HANDLING. THE CHROME PLATING ON THOSE ANCIENT SCHWINN BARS IS PERHAPS THE MOST DURABLE THAT HAS EVER BEEN ON ANY HANDLEBAR EVER. THOSE ANCIENT SCHWINN STEEL CHROMED HANDLE BARS WILL FIT EVERY STANDARD 25.4mm CLAMP AND THEY ARE SOLID AND DO NOT FLEX LIKE A SPAGHETTI NOODLE. They will not rust like the low quality steel bars that are seen on low priced Wally world and Target bikes and the low quality steel bars seen on upscale beach cruisers from bike shops.
Now, the other items that are low quality on the Coaster Brake bikes that I mention that Wallyworld and Tar-Jay have in stock, are THE PEDALS.
The Pedals are absolute trash as they are made of cheap plastic. Yes, these pedals are light and functional but they are just too cheap. YOU CAN BUY DECENT NEW PEDALS by searching Ebay or Amazon and search "Krate Pedals", These will be brand new Chinese Reproductions of the old German made BOW pedals seen on some Schwinn Stingray Krate models of the sixties and early seventies and the Schwinn Suburban models of the seventies, and a lot of other bicycles. Those repro NEW pedals are really good and you can find them for about $16 a pair with FREE SHIPPING from several very large USA mega sellers on Ebay.
"!
Wrote a muhfuggin book, huh?

I'll admit; the pedals that are on the shelf at walmart are probay better than what's on the bikes. And from my experience when ot comes to handlebars of ANY bike at those places, avoid painted ones. Chrome or black. I have bent the handle bars of any bike I had, that had painted handlebars. And the cruisers at these places are probably the best bikes to buy IF they are single speed.

I had a mtb bike once and was cruising the sidewalk on a certain road here, that at the time I didn't know ended in a set of steps because the yards were higher than the road. And the sidewalk ended there. I had some whatever walmart mtb with green or pink handlebars and I had to jump the steps. Bent the bars on landing. I suspect the painted bars are of thinner steel than the black or chrome bars. I had another bike that was a throwaway, hopped a curb and bent one end of the whatever colored bars it had.

I will say; some of the bikes are stout and I know that from experience of running a Cranbrook in to a wall and the only damage was a bent fork. If it had a spaded fork, it probaly wouldn't have bent.
Old 12-17-19, 09:49 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
As they say, TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch. Department stores can't offer bikes at those prices and still make money if they're the same quality as a quality brand. They scrimp on frame materials, and they use only low-end components. "Shimano" parts are often toted as a positive thing, but they don't tell you that Shimano makes an entire range of products, from what the pros use to complete and utter crap. Guess which end of the line-up is on a department store bike that retails for less than an upper-end derailleur alone?

One more thing to think about: If your Wal-mart bike has a problem within their warranty period, they will replace it. They do that because even after giving you a free replacement and scrapping the original, they still make money. Yes, as cheap as the bikes are, you're still paying twice what it is really worth.
Honestly the most common rear derailure found on them is that black Shimano piece with thw plastic end caps. It's a decent one, actually. It comes in two styles, bolt on and axle end(with the screw). I've found it an upgrade for older bikes especially older bso bikes that have crappy derailers on them. They shift okay, like most of Shimanos stuff, you don't want to downshift under load. I wouldn't use it for a good bike, as there are older RDs that are better than those, but if you run across something that was probably a 90s or 80s low end bike and probably to flip, those Shimano blacks are a okay choice. If you think about it; Shimano flips their groups time to time. Tourney is a good example of that. I have had various bikes in different price brackets that had it. In fact I have a Schwinn Link and a Trek 800 Sport Single Track right now that both have Tourney RDs The Trek a 400 dollar bike new and the Schwinn is probably 160 bucks, not sure but I'm certain the Treks RD is better than the Schwinns, being the same group and the trek is probably at least 15years older. And a better unit.
Old 12-17-19, 10:02 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
You are missing the point. Recently manufactured HelMart bikes are beyond poorly made. They are essentially nonfunctional from the factory. If I only saw one or two of these kinds of bikes with bearings ground to dust, I would chalk it up to an anomaly. But I've seen dozens of them. I have never seen a bike with bearings that are worn out to the point of being not just unround but hemispherical. I hold my breath each time I have to remove a bottom bracket from one of them because I don't know if the bottom bracket cups will hold together long enough to be removed. Given that something so cheap should be so cheaply made, it makes me wonder about the quality of the frames. And, if the bottom bracket does break apart, the bike is scrap. There is no way to remove a bottom bracket that is essentially cross threaded in the frame.

Additionally, just changing the rear derailer doesn't necessarily make it into a functioning bike. There are still too many warts to fix to make the bike reach even that low bar.

Additionally,
A few years ago a friend of mine bought a Canadian Tire Medalist dropbar bicycle with twist-grip shifters. He went to ride it across the parking lot to his vehicle and got a flat. WHy? Because there was LOTS of brass shavings in the wheel well that cut the tube. Also, the little disc that's punched out of the rim when the hole is made for the valve stem was still in the rim between the two walls. To get the grip-shifts on the handlebar was made in three pieces that joined together just beside the stem via a bolt going through a sleeve that held everything together. the frame was a rigid aluminium frame that was very heavy.

Even if he had put on better components he'd have still had a heavy road bike.

The biggest problem I see with department store bicycles is that most of them are rather poorly assembled and adjusted. If the buyer doesn't know how to adjust everything then the buyer might just wear things out a lot faster because of that. Add the poor assembly/adjustments to the rather low quality of most of the components and you have a bicycle that might be okay for casual use but it's a crap shoot s to how long it'll last. At least with most bicycle shops you have at least 30 days to ride the bicycle and then bring it in for free adjustments.

Cheers
Old 12-17-19, 10:37 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
I have expensive bikes and I have WalMart bikes as well. What you are saying here is not entirely accurate. I do agree with you that often times staff at the store do not put the bikes together properly. There are some of the bikes when put together properly are actually good bicycles that will last you a while (they will be low thrills with no hydraulic brakes and they will weigh more) but still good bikes for most of the public. If you do your homework you can find models that are easily upgrade able (actually learn something more about bicycles by upgrading some of the parts). It’s a win win because the big box store bicycles allow people to become bicyclists even though they don’t have a couple thousand dollars to throw into the sport.

If if you buy one be sure to check that it’s put together properly. You can spend 45$ to have your local bike shop go over it and dial it in properly or you can do that yourself (plenty of YouTube videos on this subject).
You are still missing the point. No amount of assembly will fix bearings that crumble into dust or bottom bracket spindles that twist into pretzels nor bottom bracket cups that pull apart during act of simply removing them from the frame.

Even if the bike has a frame that could be used to upgrade, it’s hardly worth the cost of doing the upgrade. You’ll spend more money upgrading then if you just started out with a better bike to begin with. Building a bike from parts isn’t cheaper than buying a new bike.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 12-18-19, 10:08 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Miele Man
A few years ago a friend of mine bought a Canadian Tire Medalist dropbar bicycle with twist-grip shifters. He went to ride it across the parking lot to his vehicle and got a flat. WHy? Because there was LOTS of brass shavings in the wheel well that cut the tube. Also, the little disc that's punched out of the rim when the hole is made for the valve stem was still in the rim between the two walls. To get the grip-shifts on the handlebar was made in three pieces that joined together just beside the stem via a bolt going through a sleeve that held everything together. the frame was a rigid aluminium frame that was very heavy.

Even if he had put on better components he'd have still had a heavy road bike.

The biggest problem I see with department store bicycles is that most of them are rather poorly assembled and adjusted. If the buyer doesn't know how to adjust everything then the buyer might just wear things out a lot faster because of that. Add the poor assembly/adjustments to the rather low quality of most of the components and you have a bicycle that might be okay for casual use but it's a crap shoot s to how long it'll last. At least with most bicycle shops you have at least 30 days to ride the bicycle and then bring it in for free adjustments.

Cheers
Having had some experience with the Denalis, I find it amazing that they can make aluminum so heavy.

I will say that there is a way to make a HelMart bike into a good bike. First, buy the HelMart bike. Second, buy another frame and all the components for a bike. Take all the parts off the HelMart bike, remove the frame from the work stand, put the other frame in place and add all the new components to it. You'll have a pretty good bike at that point.

The best thing to do with the left over parts is to find a scrap yard and see what you can get for them. If the frame is a Denali aluminum, aluminum is paid by the pound.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 12-18-19, 11:09 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
I still say my response is the best----spend $100, buy a Walmart bike, and see for yourself.
Old 12-18-19, 07:19 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

4 frame sizes?...So a decent fit for about 1/4 of the population.

"Thousands of miles", So about 2 to 4 months of riding. Ok. Great economy.

"Significant chronicling here on BF" I'm not sure about that except for that one multiyear running "BSO" single speed thread that wasn't really a BSO. But o.k. Knock yourself out.

My 67 year old Mother-in-law got a Magna & only took it to the local MUP a few times a week in the spring through the fall. It literally crumbled to bits in under 2 years. She paid $170 twice for a complete tune up from the LBS in 6 months to keep it road worthy. I made her quit riding it out of concern for her safety when I couldn't get brakes to hold an adjustment & the forks twisted around like wet spaghetti. Seriously, the rate of degredation was absolutely unconsciencable.

I have tires that cost more & have more miles than her entire bike.

​​​​​​​But you do you.
Denalis aren't that bad other than the convoluted cockpit. I had the Roadtech a few years ago, loved it. Built it up nice, too and had a bike about as light as a 90 World Sport. Pretty nimble, too. Stout. I currently have a Denali to be built up. Such beautiful frames
Old 12-18-19, 07:42 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

You are still missing the point. No amount of assembly will fix bearings that crumble into dust or bottom bracket spindles that twist into pretzels nor bottom bracket cups that pull apart during act of simply removing them from the frame.

Even if the bike has a frame that could be used to upgrade, it’s hardly worth the cost of doing the upgrade. You’ll spend more money upgrading then if you just started out with a better bike to begin with. Building a bike from parts isn’t cheaper than buying a new bike.
It can be if one thinks reasonably and has the right connections. It was more than worth it to me, to build up my Roadtech. Some of my upgrades were trades. I only actually paid for was the tires, seatpost, LS tape, brake levers. It's not always about cost effective. Sometimes it's having the bike you want, and then adding the parts you want. That's like saying why restomod an old Challenger, when you can just buy one of those new ugly things they call a Challeger with that Jay Leno Chin.

It's all preference and I prefer older bikes, not a single bike has ever been left stock for the want or neccesity to upgrade or mod. There are tons of bikes here just like that, so to say such a thing is near vapid. I've even seen restos on here. Hell I'm currently about to be working on a Murray Kozo for my g/f.
Old 12-18-19, 07:46 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

This bike is a Kev Central favorite. It’s very upgrade able.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-29-...SAAEgJx3fD_BwE
Old 12-18-19, 08:01 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Having had some experience with the Denalis, I find it amazing that they can make aluminum so heavy.

I will say that there is a way to make a HelMart bike into a good bike. First, buy the HelMart bike. Second, buy another frame and all the components for a bike. Take all the parts off the HelMart bike, remove the frame from the work stand, put the other frame in place and add all the new components to it. You'll have a pretty good bike at that point.

The best thing to do with the left over parts is to find a scrap yard and see what you can get for them. If the frame is a Denali aluminum, aluminum is paid by the pound.
My Roadtech was lighter than a friends '90 World Sport by 3-5 lbs when I was done with mine. It already didn't have those ******** gripshifts factory and the only wieght I added to it was a sealed BB... a worthy piece of wieght imho.
Alexis wheels
Custom brand aluminum seat post
Some Bontrager seat that has a funny story
80s Schwinn double crank
CST Corerre 23c tires
Some used brake levers(forgot the make)
RD from my Lotus Pegasus
Some Shimano numbers FD I had planned to put on the Research Dynamics Coyote years before, that was stolen
LS tape
The only things left to do before it got stolen was some aluminum bars, new calipers and pads, and ditching the hiten fork. I also wanted to.make a mount for DTs and put on a 7 stem. It was a good bike and my two favorite colors red&black sad thing was everything but the pedals and rear of the frame was black and screamed cheap to me. The new wheels were black, but the red tape and satin levers and crank made it look like a whole new, not cheap looking bike. I got a number of compliments and people were surprised it was a walmart bike. Sorry for the long post.
Old 12-18-19, 08:04 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3665 Post(s)
Liked 5,413 Times in 2,751 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
This bike is a Kev Central favorite. It’s very upgrade able.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-29-...SAAEgJx3fD_BwE
Wow, that's a BSO if ever there was one! Might get you just far enough into the woods to work up a sweat walking out.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 12-18-19, 08:14 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Last edited by Rajflyboy; 12-18-19 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-18-19, 11:03 PM
Unapomer

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Gconan
Do you have any examples of good Road, Gravel or Mountain bikes that can be bought at department stores?
Here's mine, a Schwinn Kempo bought from Walmart on a "price rollback" for $189 and free 2 day delivery. As with all big box bikes, it's best to lube and adjust ALL bearings before use. I upgraded the bottom bracket and crankset, pedals, and seat. I have less than $250 into it, I average 80 to 100 miles a week, keep the chain lubed and the tires inflated. No problems, bought it in May, 2019.
If you do your research, there are a few reasonably useable bikes out there at bargain prices. A good resource is bigboxbikes.com and kevcentral on youtube

Last edited by Unapomer; 12-18-19 at 11:16 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.