Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why are bike weights "unavailable"?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why are bike weights "unavailable"?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-20, 04:38 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1579 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Someone probably bought a bike, weighed it and found it to be 100g too heavy because the LBS used a different inner tube or something, and then sued Giant.
Heh! Make of it what you (we) will. I suspect cultural differences are at play here.
Old 02-07-20, 04:42 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Pretty sure that auto makers don't have to worry about weight wienies getting ready to pounce on anything they'd consider a substantially false claim concerning a few ounces.

The lumber yard had to put out a disclaimer a few years ago that 2X4s do not in fact measure 2"X4",

so it's likely that auto makers have to worry as well...
Old 02-07-20, 04:46 PM
Olefeller77 

Bikes: Trek Marlin 6 29r - Scattanti road bike w carbon fork - Trek 6500 - Univega Alpina 503 - Specialized Sworks M4 made in USA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 57 Posts
I didn't have the patience to read all the responses but you should get a hand held scale designed for weighing luggage. I got one and find it quite useful. They are quite reasonable in price. Mine has a nylon strap that loops around the top rail on a bike nicely.
Note- Most of my bikes are heavier than I thought. I have a 5 yr old Trek Marlin 6 29r with kickstand and Topeak rear rack / bag set that is pushing close to 40 lbs. Still rides great though.
Old 02-07-20, 05:05 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Bring your own scale to the store and weigh it yourself....AFAIK most bike manufacturers list bike weight on their websites.
Old 02-07-20, 05:10 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Interesting how many bike frame maker apologists are out there. Meanwhile you can get lots of weight detail on just about any bike component, some clothing, certainly helmets, even lights and fenders and bike racks. Getting the weight even on a $5K Sworks frameset in size eg. 52cm.. no.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 02-07-20, 05:17 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
The cynic in me says that bike weights are unavailable because publishing them would lead the inquisitive to the knowledge that QC on cheaply built CF frames can be poor. (I used to build fiberglass sailboats. We had patterns for all the primary fiberglass and tight control of the tapes we used to do secondary bonds so most of the weight differences were in resin used. There were so many variables that dictating the resin for a given part was a recipe for lower quality end result. Still, we could get 800 pounds of hull, deck and some woodwork bonded into place to within 50 pounds boat to boat. In fact the final boat, half lead keel by weight to usually that 50 pounds.

But - we were good. We prided ourselves with building the best wet layup polyester fiberglass boats anywhere. (Those boats were built from the early '70s through the '80s. Old school fiberglass, wet layup mat and roving, mat and cloth, vacuum bagged balsa, wet out with brush and roller. No excess resin. (We sprayed only the getcoat.) The 24' boats we built weighed 2050 lbs and were sea-worthy (and fast enough) enough to be the favorite for single handed racing to Hawaii for years.

Modern pre-preg simplifies the process a lot. One, time is no longer a factor. In our day, the faster you worked, the better the final job you could do. With pre-preg, vacuum bagging and double molds on all parts, good wet-out is a given and no voids in the final part is a matter of good tooling, care using the vacuum equipment and care laying in the cloths. Time in layups with pre-preg is all about cost savings and more bikes cranked out, not about working fast to stay ahead of a catalyzed chemical.

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 02-07-20, 05:23 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Why should the whole industry invent some standard (like that could ever even happen (look at bottom brackets) what would the manufacturer gain?

First, some manufacturer would come up with its own standard and tell everyone that its bikes were lighter than everyone else’s … and because no one would read the fine print, they would get a competitive advantage, at least for a while.

And what’s the upside? Zero. Some customers would make decisions based on a the difference of a few grams—never have ridden either of two or more bikes in consideration—and the company which was most honest with its weights would lose sales for a number which in all likelihood doesn’t really relate to anything

My sub-16-lb (with pedals) Workswell hit the road at 22 lbs because I carry food, tools, tubes, spares, sometimes two water bottle, sometimes weather gear, computer, two head- and tail lights …. But it is still a bike I can lift with one finger.

Someone would see “22 pounds” and think, “What a porker …. I wouldn’t ever ride a bike that weighs that much,” while never having weighed his or her own bikes in actual, about to go on a very long ride, trim.

How much does that bike weigh? With or without which kind of pedals? Botle cages, and how many? Lights? Computer:? Computer mount and waterproof case? Saddle bag? What tools/tubes/parts? A Powerbar, two gels, both? A banana?

How many people got out their digital fish scales and weighed their bikes a minute before a long ride?

Frankly, I’d bet a lot of people would get turned off by cycling if they found out here “6.8 kg Wunderbike” actually hit the road a 11 kg. We all make So much fuss over a few grams, and go nuts over a few hundred grams …. I know I have, and I know I have been in discussions where others have …. And we haven’t even bothered to Weigh Our Own Bikes.

I actually enjoy seeing people’s interest wane when they ask how much my bike weighs and I say “22 pounds.” Because I know their bikes probably weigh 20 … and the difference is that I over-prepare and overpack, not that the bike is overweight. But people really don’t get it. I could say “Sub-16 pounds,” but it isn’t as much fuun as being able to close their minds for them …. More robots in the populace …..

On top of All that …. I can generally find a reasonably approximate weight for a bike by ….. Doing Research.

I go to bike reviews, and Some sites/online magazines actually accurately report the weights (showroom weights, as a rule) of the bikes they test. Also, I have found weights listed in “comments” sections of websites reviewing bikes.

The data isn’t Readily available, but it is Generally available.

When the entire bike industry decides on a single bottom-bracket standard, I will then believe they could come up with some honest weight-determination formula (no pedals, cages, accessories, medium frame, one weight per build option …. Really not hard … to Conceive.)

But then … so far no one has come up with a way that listing honest weights would help The Manufacturer. And the folks who sell bikes aren’t going to do it for the benefit of the consumer.
Obviously, my sarcasm was lost in translation. I agree.
Old 02-07-20, 05:34 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Foundation, flooring, three walls, and partial roof of text
Originally Posted by 02Giant
Obviously, my sarcasm was lost in translation. I agree.
I can only find one post by you, and even knowing it is meant to be sarcastic, I don't get the sarcasm. Obviously, I have much learning to do.

But you agree. That is wise ....

If you ever hang out with British people .... there is a culture which has mastered deadpan, understated sarcasm. The folks I have met were masters. I am only an egg.
Old 02-07-20, 05:38 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Autos come with many options, but a 15 second search gives weights for 25 common models.
Auto makers also need to worry about GVWR
Old 02-07-20, 05:47 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
It may be possible using published weights of components, but who is going to end up paying for this nitpicking, especially if published weights of individual components are not accurate? I simply find it silly to obsess about a few hundred grams
which is why I added the edit seconds after I submitted my response.

i personally don’t care how much my ride weighs. I’m not competing with anyone but me, myself, and I. And I really don’t care if weights are listed on web sites. Actually, I find listing the weight of a pair of biking socks pretty absurd.
Likes For spelger:
Old 02-07-20, 05:53 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Well if you think it is so unacceptable that some companies do not list weights, then don't buy from those companies.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 02-07-20, 06:11 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
Mostly because the risk of a consumer feeling a lack of information as a red flag is seen by the marketing folks as less problematic than the risk of a consumer choosing not to buy something because they don't like the weight they see.
Get outta here. It's 2020 -- there's obviously an evil conspiracy to suppress information at play.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 02-07-20 at 11:00 PM.
Old 02-07-20, 06:19 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I'm surprised that REI doesn't give weights. They were one of the only places that provided weights when I was shopping for a bike a few years ago. They stated that the weights were based on the middle of the size range for any given model. Maybe it's too early in the season for them to have tested the new models.

Weight is going to be a really touchy spot for marketing a bike, because it can't be smothered in confusion or subjectivity. It's one thing for experienced cyclists to tell you the relative importance of weight versus other factors. But if a bike maker tries to tiptoe around the issue, people will suspect that it's for just one reason.

One bike maker's website had a careful explanation about how they couldn't provide weights, and coincidentally, a number of online reviews mentioned that their bikes are heavy.

Another problem is that bike "makers" don't have a chance to test a new line of bikes before they are shipped directly from the factory to the dealers.
Old 02-07-20, 07:51 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
I just chuckle at some of these threads. For most of us recreational cyclists, how much is a 1/2 lb or 1 lb going to affect your life when you are on that bike? If I was so uptight about weight I would eat better, ride more and drop 20 lbs and kick ass up those mountain roads instead of celebrating just making it to the top without stopping. Geesh! What's for dessert?
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 02-07-20, 07:56 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Cars are a totally different ball of wax. Auto manufacturers are required to list weights and car weight is rarely a selling point, or a factor for buyers. When there are significant variations among a model (like different engine or trim levels) they list weights for each version. Toyota has three versions of the Camry listed on their website TRD, L and XSE V6, and publishes a different weight for each one individually) Beyond that, most options don't change the weight significantly enough to matter.

There is no small, medium, large Toyota Camry versions, for instance, so the process of publishing a standard weight for a Camry is more simplified than it would be for a bike manufacturer, which often has 5-6 different frame sizes, combined with 3-4 different spec levels for a single model.
Many jurisdictions charge license fees according to car weight, at least that is the case where I live.
Old 02-07-20, 08:54 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
I just chuckle at some of these threads. For most of us recreational cyclists, how much is a 1/2 lb or 1 lb going to affect your life when you are on that bike? If I was so uptight about weight I would eat better, ride more and drop 20 lbs and kick ass up those mountain roads instead of celebrating just making it to the top without stopping. Geesh! What's for dessert?
cheese cake!
(And Guinness.)
Likes For spelger:
Old 02-07-20, 10:07 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
If you are concerned about how much a mountain bike weighs, don't ride it near mountains.
Old 02-07-20, 10:35 PM
bluehills3149

Bikes: depends what week it is..

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
The fact that some manufacturers do list weights is proof that it can be done and presumably they're not getting sued when persnickety Pete finds his new purchase is a fraction over the advertised weight. In a similar vein, car makers regularly publish performance times which were achieved under ideal conditions that are almost impossible to reproduce by the average driver yet they survive the legal onslaught.
And to the argument that components change mid-cycle does not hold water. The only components a manufacturer could change mid-cycle without having to re-advertise it as a new model are minor (generic seat posts, bars, saddle etc.) and it's not like they can't specify that a substitute doesn't stray too far the spec weight. I mean, how much weight would you have to add to a seat post such that the advertised weight is no longer within advertised range?
To be sure, weight is not that important but it is useful information. Just like 1/4 mile times in a family car are not relevant to the road, bike weight is useful as a comparison tool when comparing various models and particularly when one stands out as significantly heavier (or lighter) than others which makes you ask why.
When I don't see a weight published I always think what are they trying to hide?
So stand on the side of publish the weight. It's not like its hard to do.
Old 02-08-20, 07:45 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

So, the OP would rather be given numbers that may be unreliable than be told the number is unavailable.

This inclination is not uncommon, and leads to a lot of misinformation.

Yes, weights are given for all sorts of components.... and they are often very wrong.

Standardize how to weigh bikes and make the whole industry abide?......
HAHAHAHAHAHA

They have never even managed to standardize how to measure tire widths.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 02-08-20, 08:29 AM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Well if you think it is so unacceptable that some companies do not list weights, then don't buy from those companies.
Few years ago I went looking for a steel disc frame. Found the Surly Straggler, looked good for what I wanted but there was no weight listed on the very comprehensive spec sheet. I emailed the company and they replied with the same justification as many of the posters in this thread - production changes can lead to differences in the frame and fork weight such that they didn't share a number. So then I asked for a range of weights to expect - no reply. If production changes swing the weight so much they can't share it - what in the world was I going to end up with?

Well, I'm not going to buy a frame weight unknown, be the same as buying a bike where the bottom bracket specification wasn't listed.

Long story short I got a Soma frame, because the weight for a specific size is listed on their website. The size weighed wasn't my size but knowing the weight gave me a good idea of what mine would weigh and it ended up being within a reasonable bound. I've since bought 2 more frames from them because of this.

So, good advice. If a company can't or won't disclose relevant product specifications - buy from somewhere else, don't perpetuate poor business practices.

Interesting side note, it appears that the mountain bike boom contributed to the de-listing of bike weights - at least for Schwinn. In the early 90s MTB popularity really took off, as did their relative weights - 30+ pounds for a regular 26" MTB was common. It's not a stretch to assume that perception of road cyclists towards the heavy bikes was very negative. Schwinn stopped listing weight in 1993. Schwinn catalogs, 1991 - 2000
Likes For Spoonrobot:
Old 02-08-20, 08:33 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Autos come with many options, but a 15 second search gives weights for 25 common models.
I believe federal law requires manufacturers to supply weight for safety standards and other reasons.
Old 02-08-20, 08:40 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
I figure the manufactures who list the weight make the lightest, most flimsy bikes.
Old 02-08-20, 08:43 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
The flip side is, if weights don't matter, why are bike makers afraid to reveal the information?

I'm a recreational cyclist myself. I weigh my bikes. I'm a curious character, and I'm not afraid of the truth. I don't ride the lightest bikes out there. My single speed roadster built from spare parts is 22 pounds, and my dedicated winter bike built in a 1972 Schwinn Varsity frame weighs... a bit more
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 02-08-20, 08:50 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Sometimes it is a 5 pound weight difference. Sometimes a person is at their optimum weight limit and should not loose twenty pounds. Then the issue is real.
Old 02-08-20, 08:52 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
Few years ago I went looking for a steel disc frame. Found the Surly Straggler, looked good for what I wanted but there was no weight listed on the very comprehensive spec sheet. I emailed the company and they replied with the same justification as many of the posters in this thread - production changes can lead to differences in the frame and fork weight such that they didn't share a number. So then I asked for a range of weights to expect - no reply. If production changes swing the weight so much they can't share it - what in the world was I going to end up with?

Well, I'm not going to buy a frame weight unknown, be the same as buying a bike where the bottom bracket specification wasn't listed.

Long story short I got a Soma frame, because the weight for a specific size is listed on their website. The size weighed wasn't my size but knowing the weight gave me a good idea of what mine would weigh and it ended up being within a reasonable bound. I've since bought 2 more frames from them because of this.

So, good advice. If a company can't or won't disclose relevant product specifications - buy from somewhere else, don't perpetuate poor business practices.

Interesting side note, it appears that the mountain bike boom contributed to the de-listing of bike weights - at least for Schwinn. In the early 90s MTB popularity really took off, as did their relative weights - 30+ pounds for a regular 26" MTB was common. It's not a stretch to assume that perception of road cyclists towards the heavy bikes was very negative. Schwinn stopped listing weight in 1993. Schwinn catalogs, 1991 - 2000
If you are even asking how much a frame weighs, you don’t want a Surly. They lost no sale on that one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.