Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Fork recommendations please!!!!!

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-20, 01:17 PM
captain belly

Bikes: 1994 Giant Iguana and 2020 Trek Verve 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 8 Posts

I have an old Giant Iguana from 1994. I want to put front suspension on it. However, I'm almost 50 and have knee problems, so this is going to be for easy dirt paths and trails. NOT jumping off boulders and such. Can I get something for $150? please recommend brands or anything helpful.
Old 04-13-20, 04:11 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,698 Times in 2,518 Posts
I moved this from framebuilders to mechanics because I though it would get more better answers here.

Do you know any specs from the current fork?
Old 04-13-20, 05:07 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
If you're in the Bay Area I've got a Rockshox Indy SL fork in good condition that should fit your frame 😁
Old 04-13-20, 05:11 PM
captain belly

I don't know the specs on my bike....... yet. Wish I could find them. I've searched the net and have come up empty-handed. I may just call the company.
Old 04-13-20, 05:13 PM
captain belly

Originally Posted by tFUnK
If you're in the Bay Area I've got a Rockshox Indy SL fork in good condition that should fit your frame 😁
I live in Missour. bummer. Wish we had your weather....... it's freezing here today. So is Rockshox a good brand then?
Old 04-13-20, 10:24 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by captain belly
I don't know the specs on my bike....... yet. Wish I could find them. I've searched the net and have come up empty-handed. I may just call the company.
Bikes from that era will take forks with either 1" or 1 1/8" steerers, and can be either threaded or threadless. If you have the 1 1/8" threadless variety, then there should be lots of forks out there (you may need to look at used market because new forks are hard to find for 26" tires, rim brakes, non-tapered steerer).
Old 04-14-20, 06:42 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
You don't want the fork to drastically alter the handling of the bike, so you want to keep the distance from the axle to the bottom of the headtube approx the same, so you're likely to need a "shorter" travel fork, and one for 26" wheels. I put an 80mm travel Manitou Axel Comp on a 96 GT Timberline (think that's what the year was on the replacement frame-for one I broke), and had no problems. . You also want to be sure the fork has mounts for your brakes (many newer forks may have disc only mounts). The steerer has to be long enough to be above the head tube, so you can mount the stem, and many come too long, so you may have to cut it to correct height. Many things to consider to get it right-if uncertain about what is needed, may want to enlist the advice of someone with experience working on bikes, or your local LBS.
Old 04-14-20, 08:26 AM
captain belly

These are great tips! I have a couple days off starting tomorrow. Im going to tear in to it and see what I need / specs... Prob end up going to a bike shop.
Old 04-28-20, 04:14 PM
JTO

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tFUnK
Sent you an email about your fork if you still have it.
Old 04-28-20, 05:01 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
I would say, don't bother fitting a suspension fork onto a bike that was never designed for one. A change of fork is not going to make things easier for your knees, that is a gearing issue. If your bike has a threaded headset, forget it, suspension forks for the specific steerer length you need are unicorns. If threadless, it may well be 1", again, very difficult to find. Forget suspension forks, use the widest tires that will fit and run them at lower pressure
Old 04-28-20, 05:18 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
I agree with above that for knees, suspension won't do a thing. Knees are going to be a gearing issue. Shift to a lower gear and be happy with whatever speed that gives you. If you don't have a lower gear, then maybe time for a new bike.
Old 04-29-20, 09:27 AM
JTO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tFUnK,
I received your email message, and can read it. But can not yet reply because my account is new.
Old 04-29-20, 09:30 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Here is probably what you are going to find. You might run across a new Suntour XC? (M, R or T) that is both, 80mm and can run rim brakes. In today's world both of those are tough to find. And, you will need to make sure you have a 1-1/8" steerer tube on your current bike. 80mm on your bike won't be an issue as in '94 bikes were designed to run 63mm and you're around a 20mm jump; which is what I am running.

There are used forks form that era, but parts are becoming extinct so you might get stuck with a fork that leaks and you can't get seals. I use Marzocchi bombers that are pretty bulletproof, but I might have problems getting seals; but I'm not up on parts for other 90's forks.

As for your knees, if they hurt because from peddling, then a suspension fork won't help. If they hurt because you get out of the saddle and use your legs as shock absorbers over bumps, then a front suspension fork will help maybe a little, but you probably need a full suspension bike.

The long and short of it, is that sadly there is probably no good solution for $150. You need to figure out what is hurting your knees and look for a more current fairly light bike with lower gearing, or full suspension, as upgrading your Iguana has to be more a labor of love than a low cost fix.

John
Old 04-29-20, 09:38 AM
JTO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tFUnK,
Yes, I am local... Palo Alto.
I have a 1991 GT Timberline that has a 1” stem (threaded, I believe). It is my backup town cruiser. I’m only considering a suspension fork to soften the bounce up and down curbs, on my wrists. So not really looking for performance.
If you’d like to send me another message with an email address, we can communicate thru that.
Old 04-29-20, 10:07 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 622 Posts
CB, 1994 was about when threadless 1&1/8" stems originated (AIR), but by measuring the OD of the headtube and looking at the stem, you can define your system (look at Sheldon Brown if you need further assistance). If it's 1&1/8 threadless, you should be able to locate a NOS (new, old stock) 26" Rock Shox that will suffice for $100 or so. The fork may be disc-only which means a new front wheel and brake. Probably better off looking for a good used bike.