Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bicycle Seat Bag - Necessities

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-20, 11:17 AM
bran1986

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

I currently ride with a backpack but am debating making the switch to a seat bag. I am looking at the Topeak Aero or the Rockbros bag.

Regardless, here is a list of everything I would like to fit in the bag - am I missing anything?

Inhaler
Cash/Credit Card
Cell phone
Snack bag of nuts
C02 inflator - any suggestions?
C02 cartridge - is one enough or should I carry two?
Spare tube
Patch kit - patches, glue, tire levers
Multi tool
2 ft cable lock - not sure if this will fit in the bag
Duct tape

Last edited by bran1986; 04-24-20 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-24-20, 11:31 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2602 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
I think you mean spare tube vice spare tire. You might want to add some ID (driver's license).

I usually have a bar bag for rides longer than a commute, where I have something to munch on. You might carry the nuts in a jersey pocket. Also, you may be able to wrap the cable lock around the seatpost if you're running short on space.
Old 04-24-20, 12:17 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1799 Post(s)
Liked 2,334 Times in 1,378 Posts
Make sure inflator is not single use model? Tire patch boot or duct tape/dollar bill etc for a tear?
Old 04-24-20, 12:19 PM
bran1986

Originally Posted by pdlamb
I think you mean spare tube vice spare tire. You might want to add some ID (driver's license).

I usually have a bar bag for rides longer than a commute, where I have something to munch on. You might carry the nuts in a jersey pocket. Also, you may be able to wrap the cable lock around the seatpost if you're running short on space.
D'oh! I definitely meant bike tube, not tire. Good call on the nuts in the jersey pocket. Driver's License/credit card will be in a little pocket that attaches to my cell phone.

The cable lock just arrived in the mail so I am going to be messing around with wrapping that around the seat post; I feel like that will be the only thing that won't fit in the bag.
Old 04-24-20, 12:21 PM
bran1986

Originally Posted by WGB
Make sure inflator is not single use model? Tire patch boot or duct tape/dollar bill etc for a tear?
The inflators I am looking at are not single use. I'm just curious if one C02 cartridge is enough to fill a bike tire properly.

Good call out on the duct tape. I'll add that to the list.
Old 04-24-20, 12:41 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Which size of the Topeak Aero bag were you looking to get? It appears to come in Micro, Small, Med and Large.
Old 04-24-20, 01:19 PM
bran1986

Originally Posted by Nyah
Which size of the Topeak Aero bag were you looking to get? It appears to come in Micro, Small, Med and Large.
Still debating that. From reading through the reviews on Amazon, the medium should be big enough for everything minus the bike lock.
Old 04-24-20, 02:01 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Guessing your multi-tool has a chain breaker on it-if not, might want to add one. And maybe a quick link.
Old 04-24-20, 02:22 PM
bran1986

Originally Posted by freeranger
Guessing your multi-tool has a chain breaker on it-if not, might want to add one. And maybe a quick link.
It does not, but I have a separate chain breaker. Good idea!
Old 04-24-20, 02:49 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
I have a medium Topeak aero bag on my main bike with the following inside:
  • Spare Tube
  • CrankBrothers Gem Hand Pump
  • Three Allen Wrenches (2, 4, 5mm)
  • Pedro Chain Breaker
  • Wolf Tooth Quick Link Pliers
  • Quick Link
  • A small first aid (bandage) kit
  • 2 Tire Levers
  • Zip Ties
  • A few patches, glue and a thumb tack to break the seal.
I use to shove my wallet and phone in there for rides, but have picked up a handlebar bag which holds those now. The breaker and pliers are needed more when mountain biking, but I don't have a mountain bike at the moment so they are on this bike.

Last edited by katsup; 04-24-20 at 11:27 PM.
Old 04-24-20, 06:23 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
One CO2 cartridge is enough if nothing goes wrong. Same for two CO2 cartridges.

I'm good with all of the suggestions here. Think your way through fixing a flat. I've never had a chain problem while on a ride, a fact that I attribute to not having very strong legs. The things that tend to go wrong with bikes seem to depend on the rider, for reasons that will probably never be understood, so the list of necessities will vary with individual experience.
Old 04-24-20, 07:22 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
My seat bag is for tools/spare tube/patch kit ONLY. Everything else is carried like a normal person -in pockets! Yeah, I wear hiking shorts (with pockets) when I ride so I can access things that I need! Wallet, knife, phone, keys, etc... If I go on a longer-ish ride (~more than 30 miles) I might wear padded cycling shorts under my hiking shorts. I can go into a store or restaurant without looking like a spandex-clad MAMIL.

What is the difference between hiking and cargo shorts? inseam length. At most, my hiking shorts have a 4" inseam... Cargo shorts are generally much longer, and have those bulky low-rider pockets/pouches.
Old 04-24-20, 08:25 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by bran1986
I currently ride with a backpack but am debating making the switch to a seat bag. I am looking at the Topeak Aero or the Rockbros bag.

Regardless, here is a list of everything I would like to fit in the bag - am I missing anything?

Inhaler
Cash/Credit Card
Cell phone
Snack bag of nuts
C02 inflator - any suggestions?
C02 cartridge - is one enough or should I carry two?
Spare tube
Patch kit - patches, glue, tire levers
Multi tool
2 ft cable lock - not sure if this will fit in the bag
Duct tape
In my seat bag I cary:
  • One spare tube.
  • One small container of stick-on patches.
  • One stick-in tire boot.
  • A pair of tire levers.
  • A small multi-tool (Topeak Mini-9 on my road bike, Topeak Mini-18 on my hybrid/commuter).
  • A pack of gummy bears.
  • A granola bar or Clif bar.
  • A photocopy of my ID.
  • A $20 and a $5.
  • Sometimes a small portable USB battery pack (very seldom).
  • A 2-Fer light.
That last one is maybe a little bit of an odd-ball item. I often ride at night. One time I had my headlight break off, and I had to ride home in the dark. One time I had a tail light fail, and I had to ride home without that protection. The 2-Fer light is tiny, but bright, and it has both white and red modes, both steady and blinking. It's just insurance for me in case one of my primary lights fails on a ride.

The battery pack is only brought along on my longest rides, and even then more often, not. But one time I used it to recharge my phone. Another time to put an extra 10% charge into my GPS while I was stopped to enjoy the destination.

The pumps are mounted on my frames.

In my jersey pockets I have a small towel, my cell phone in a ziploc, and sometimes a banana and PB&J sandwich for the long rides.
Old 04-24-20, 10:00 PM
bluehills3149

Bikes: depends what week it is..

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
I carry food, pump and phone in my jersey pocket so my saddle bag is medium sized. My only addition is a small bottle of sunscreen. I think it was originally a complimentary hotel shampoo bottle into which I cleaned out and refilled with sunscreen and is about the size of a C sized battery. I often find I'm riding further than I thought I would or a cloudy day turns out sunny so for me having an emergency supply on hand is good peace of mind.
Old 04-24-20, 10:35 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by bran1986
The inflators I am looking at are not single use. I'm just curious if one C02 cartridge is enough to fill a bike tire properly.

Good call out on the duct tape. I'll add that to the list.
It depends on the size of your tire and the size of the CO2 cartridge. Match the CO2 cartridge to your tire size and 1 cartridge will fill 1 tire. I usually carry a couple of 20g cartridges to fill my 25mm tires because I've found that 16g cartridges don't fill tires to full pressure in cold weather. The 20g will. As far as inflator, my favorite is the PDW Shiny Object. The Lezyne Control Drive and Planet Bike Red Zeppelin are also pretty good. The Red Zeppelin is also the cheapest of the group.

For my on-bike kit I carry in a Banjo Bros small seat bag:
In my jersey pockets I'll carry my cell phone and a Lezyne Pocket Drive pump, food, and contact rewetting drops. I've used everything listed except for the Lezyne Pocket Drive at least once in the last 2 years. The pump was added after a ride a couple of weeks ago where I used both CO2 cartridges, and the patched tube was slowly leaking. I managed to get home but it was close to needing to walk the last mile.

Last edited by RGMN; 04-24-20 at 10:40 PM.
Old 04-24-20, 10:39 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
ID should go on your person. In a medical emergency you and your bike probably won't stay together.

I've seen it in emergency response to cycling injuries. Usually the bike is left behind or collected by someone else. If the injured rider has a concussion he/she probably won't think to ask someone to get their ID from the bike bag.

A copy of your ID or other identification in the bike bag is fine. Might help ensure you get your bike back later. But that shouldn't be the only place where your ID is.
Old 04-25-20, 08:57 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 2,661 Posts
I would go with Topeak and avoid rockbros like the plague, buy the original article not the cheap knockoff.

As far as what I generally carry in my road seatbag (Prologo Topeak compatible bag):
1 tube
1 tire lever (I like to use Crank Bros Speedier lever but I think I use something different for space on this)
1 co2 inflator and cartridge (Planet Bike Red Zepplin)
1 multitool (either Crank Bros M10 or Spurcycle Tool)
1 pair nitrile gloves

For my touring kit (Topeak Wedge DryBag Large)
Similar to my road bag minus co2 and sometimes with Topeak Mini 20 pro multitool and extra tube and set of nitrile gloves plus:
1 pair thin cycling gloves
fruit leather (or thin emergency snack)
1 vulcanizing patch kit (plus a couple stick on patches because why not)
1 small folding knife
1 Stein Mini cassette lockring driver
1 old wallet with:
extra bolts (typically for racks)
hair tie
tea bag
extra ID
extra cash
condom (probably will never get lucky)
adhesive bandage (will probably get used before that condom ever will)
other random doodads

I highly recommend the QuickClick system for Topeak being able to just slide a bag on and off between multiple bikes is great. The F25 Fixxer doesn't weigh much or get in the way and makes it easy when I want to ride.

I usually will carry my Topeak Road Morph G pump on the bike and typically a Crank Bros M10 tool in my panniers as it is an easier tool to work with. I probably should just get a small lightweight chain breaker and a spoke key...

I will say a pump is superior to C02 and when I am doing road biking or on my fixed gear it is generally shorter stuff in populated areas so if I am really screwed I have a way out. If I am doing a long ride or helping support a ride I will carry my smaller Topeak Pocket Rocket and some other stuff that I might generally carry in my touring kit.

On my fixed gear I generally carry a Pedro's Trixie

Nitrile or similar disposable gloves can come in real handy on a cold windy or wet ride and you forgot gloves or your gloves aren't doing it. They aren't breathable but they don't allow water or wind to get through either. They saved me on a ride once and I will always carry them.

If you are prone to accidents and getting cut and hurt then you might consider more medical/first aid stuff. Also if you have allergies or need medications take some of that with you just in case.

I generally carry my wallet/keys (attached) and food in my cycling jersey if you are wondering where that is)

One final thing of note is don't carry anything you aren't capable of using. A spoke key does you nothing if you don't know how to use it. Practice changing a tire at home using the tools in your kit, if you have to waste a c02 cartridge go for it have some extras. It is better to know how to do it and waste something then be stuck out in the field and struggling. Usually when something bad hits, it is rarely next to a nice Mexican restaurant with a patio in perfect weather and you have no where to go for a while and the chips and salsa are free and half priced margaritas or Tecate (if you drink, awesome if you don't)
Old 04-27-20, 05:17 AM
ExPatTyke

Bikes: Gitane Course, Paris Sport, Peugeot AO8, Peugeot Bretagne, Peugeot Premiere 85, Peugeot Premiere 86, Peugeot ANC Halfords Team Replica, Peugeot Festina Team Replica, Motobecane Grand Sport, Motobecane Super 15, Raleigh Pro Race, Raleigh Stratos, BSA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 90 Posts
I've got small bags like the Topeak on all my bikes. They're just big enough to wedge in 3 inner tubes, tyre levers, a multi tool, dumbbell spanner, a couple of self adhesive patches, and a chain tool.

My phone is in a flip case that also holds cash and cards, and goes in a jersey pocket, as does food.

I don't carry a CO2 inflator; all my bikes have got full size frame pumps which are nearly as quick as an inflator and much more reliable.

That covers me for normal rides; for Audax rides I have a small handlebar bag which holds more food, a brake and a gear cable, map and route instructions, power bank, an extra tube, and a spare cleat and bolts.