Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Long Island: Good Ride Today?

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Long Island: Good Ride Today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-20, 10:24 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Yes, it arrived. The reply was lengthy as is everything I say or type.

It would also help if I had pressed Send.

Apologies, but I see you found some good roads.
No worries. Send it anyway, I'm sure we just scratched the surface regarding knowledge of the area.
Old 06-28-20, 11:25 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Another hot one, so I headed out early. When north to Sagamore Hill and then south to the beach. I was hoping that the path was open past Tobay but still closed. I assume there will be a ribbon cutting so the politicians can have their photo op. Hopefully they won't use tear gas to clear the cyclists waiting.

68 miles @ 16.2mph. I was lucky to find some riders to draft on the jones beach path to keep my average up.
Old 06-28-20, 11:35 AM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Originally Posted by GlennR
Another hot one.........68 miles @ 16.2mph..
Whew. Too hot for that for me. We did back to back 40 milers on Big Yellow. I drank 68 oz and poured a similar amount over my head. We dodged rain by minutes yesterday, and today a big cell crossed our path just behind us on the way home from Oyster Bay.

Oyster Bay
Old 07-01-20, 05:12 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

June was a 600+ mile month

I've been out 4-5 times a week.
Old 07-01-20, 05:26 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,049 Times in 1,171 Posts
June was a 600+ mile month

I've been out 4-5 times a week.
Yup, I’ve 1400 last 3 mos. Been many years I’ve had the time to ride this much. We were spoiled as well with a lot of perfect riding days, only now is it getting hot.
Old 07-03-20, 09:40 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Got lucky with the weather today, rode with a buddy out of Massapequa at 8, it was already 80. We headed north as it got increasingly cloudy, then a bit of sprinkle that quickly passed. It stayed cloudy and the temp came down to 76 - 77 or so. Plus a tail wind all the way back.
Old 07-03-20, 04:58 PM
justtrying

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Went to JB before 8 then to Tobay; Cedar Creek then did it again before it was time to go to Brands. They were busy but well organized out in 15 minutes. Told me they would have the bike for a week.
Old 07-04-20, 11:17 AM
kaos joe

After 2 long nights at work I shouldn't even be upright but who could say no to a nice summer morning like today. About 25 riders, split into 3 groups, 44 miles to Crab Meadow Beach. A Happy 4th to all!

Old 07-04-20, 03:40 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

It was a nice morning... got 38 miles in before firing up the grill.
Old 07-04-20, 10:09 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
I wouldn't have thought that Hempstead lake state park would be a good ride, but it was. The park was packed with picnickers, but staying on the dirt trails allowed me to have a good ride without bumping into people. This is my second ride in the park. The first was on Thursday. The park had only had a few people in it then.

One reason that I have avoided riding there is that when I rode there as a teenager, I was jumped and had my bike stolen. As a result, I am still a little worried about riding there about 45 years later.

I did this on my lowest end of my low end bikes. It was just as much fun as on a better bike.
Old 07-05-20, 06:02 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by Velo Mule
One reason that I have avoided riding there is that when I rode there as a teenager, I was jumped and had my bike stolen. As a result, I am still a little worried about riding there about 45 years later.
FYI

Three MS-13 members plead guilty to attempted murder at Hempstead Lake State Park in 2016

https://www.liherald.com/malverne/st...in-2016,110802
Old 07-05-20, 09:53 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Another nice day. Strong headwind going south to Jones. Lots of people even at 8:00am.
Old 07-05-20, 12:41 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

GlennR thanks for that link. There is a combination of seclusion and nearby gang activity that seems to have remained the same over the years. It is a shame, however, I will stay out of the park then.
Old 07-05-20, 02:27 PM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by Velo Mule
GlennR thanks for that link. There is a combination of seclusion and nearby gang activity that seems to have remained the same over the years. It is a shame, however, I will stay out of the park then.
Nonsense. There was one incident. The park is safe, it gets hundreds of users on a daily basis and I see a lot of hikers, runners and dog walkers there. There have been 2 bodies found from MS13 murders in the Massapequa Preserve yet thousands use the trails and Bethpage Bikeway every day and safely.

The gangs live in a lot of communities adjacent to a lot of parks that are heavily used. The odds of you encountering a gang activity, which usually takes place at night, are minuscule.
Old 07-05-20, 05:01 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Nonsense. There was one incident. The park is safe, it gets hundreds of users on a daily basis and I see a lot of hikers, runners and dog walkers there. There have been 2 bodies found from MS13 murders in the Massapequa Preserve yet thousands use the trails and Bethpage Bikeway every day and safely.

The gangs live in a lot of communities adjacent to a lot of parks that are heavily used. The odds of you encountering a gang activity, which usually takes place at night, are minuscule.
The bodies were in the segment between Merrick Road and Sunrise. Most people don't go that far south and the paved path is very rough due to roots under the asphalt.

Two years ago I was called for jury duty. I found out it was for one of the MS13 murder cases. The judge and government lawyers all got to use a secured underground parking garage, but the jurors had to use the public lot and walk in/out the front door. They told us normal cases last 2 weeks but this could last 6 weeks or more. They also couldn't guarantee our names and addresses wouldn't become public.

I asked for a medical excuse and it was granted. About 1/3 were excused immediately.

Last edited by GlennR; 07-05-20 at 05:13 PM.
Old 07-05-20, 06:07 PM
Steve B.

The bodies were in the segment between Merrick Road and Sunrise. Most people don't go that far south and the paved path is very rough due to roots under the asphalt.

Two years ago I was called for jury duty. I found out it was for one of the MS13 murder cases. The judge and government lawyers all got to use a secured underground parking garage, but the jurors had to use the public lot and walk in/out the front door. They told us normal cases last 2 weeks but this could last 6 weeks or more. They also couldn't guarantee our names and addresses wouldn't become public.

I asked for a medical excuse and it was granted. About 1/3 were excused immediately.
All the news reports I can find state Hempstead Lake SP., which is not where you describe. AFAIK the park is about 1/2 mile north and north of Lakeview Ave. to just past the Southern State.

Moot point to Velo Mule, but I would not feel unsafe in the state park, though would not go there at night, but would not go many wooded parks at night. Maybe Bethpage.
Old 07-05-20, 10:03 PM
Velo Mule

Thanks Steve B. on another perspective. I rode there twice recently and enjoyed the dirt trails. Some was bridal path, however, I didn't see any horseshoe marks at all. So, while I didn't feel threatened and saw plenty of normal people out having fun, I am still wary. By the way, the section that I was riding was between Lakeview Ave and the Southern State parkway.

The report mentions that there were boys playing or on their way to play soccer. The soccer fields are officially part of Rockville Centre, but they are really part of Hempstead Lake state park. Or at least we can say they are adjacent with no barrier between them.

So, I don't know. I may ride there a few more times on the weekends and see how I feel.

Don't let my dad know I am riding there. He will say "you didn't learn your lesson the first time?"
Old 07-05-20, 10:33 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
I've ridden hempstead with my middle kid twice and both times there were puddles that he took the time to ride through every one of; actually seized the pulley on the rear der after the second trip.

Headed to Kissena today for getting timed doing the KV Batt individual time trial races. Set all new personal best times for me but still leaves me stuck getting last place each time, just amazed how fast the typical racer at the track is. Consistency helps since I did get 13th out of 19 total racers for the first series (4 races over 4 weeks). Just have to continue getting faster each time and maybe by the end of the summer I won't be last.
Old 07-08-20, 10:52 AM
kaos joe

Straight from work into the steambath.......actually it wasn't bad. 8 of us found that a round trip of 39 miles is all it takes to get you to "bella Italia". Great ride. To bed now.

St. Rocco's Church, Glen Cove
Old 07-08-20, 04:23 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

It was humid but still got in 32 miles.

BTW, Monday I cleaned up the sand, again, at the Bethpage circle crossing. I also left a case of water and was happy that not only was there no empty bottles left behind, the plastic wrapping was also gone. Make me feel good that no one is littering.

Where did all the trash cans go?
Likes For GlennR:
Old 07-09-20, 09:59 AM
Steve B.

Even with an early 7:30 start it was still hot and humid. Got in a nice 35 to JB with some buddies and ran into Glenn R at the boardwalk. Nice to see and meet a real person behind that forum face !. I think it was the Trek Emoda made me say “I bet that’s Glenn !”.

Glenn, apologies, I should have had more social distance, my buddies gave some deserved grief after.
Old 07-09-20, 02:26 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Even with an early 7:30 start it was still hot and humid. Got in a nice 35 to JB with some buddies and ran into Glenn R at the boardwalk. Nice to see and meet a real person behind that forum face !. I think it was the Trek Emoda made me say “I bet that’s Glenn !”.

Glenn, apologies, I should have had more social distance, my buddies gave some deserved grief after.
No problem Steve, not so sure how non-asymptomatic they are.

I'm still burnt out from the ride.
Old 07-11-20, 01:42 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Today was a "hot mess" ride. I balked thinking it was going to rain and finally decided to get out buy stay local. I did 27 miles and was never more than 3 miles from the house in case it rained... it never did.

When I got home i was a puddle of sweat, luckily my wife had the AC on.
Old 07-11-20, 02:38 PM
Steve B.

Today was a "hot mess" ride. I balked thinking it was going to rain and finally decided to get out buy stay local. I did 27 miles and was never more than 3 miles from the house in case it rained... it never did.

When I got home i was a puddle of sweat, luckily my wife had the AC on.
Timing. I got out at 7:20, it was total fog, a bi of a mist, and it stayed cool in low 70's so was able to deal with 100% humidity.
Old 07-11-20, 08:56 PM
kaos joe

Today was a "hot mess" ride.......When I got home i was a puddle of sweat.....
Hot mess is right. 7 of us on 6 bikes did 39 miles Bethpage to Northport. When we got back I was able to wring my gloves out like a wet kitchen sponge. Nasty.

The farmers market at the waterfront in Northport is back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.