Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVIII

Notices
Road Cycling ďIt is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.Ē -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVIII

Old 07-05-20, 03:06 PM
  #12251  
ls01
he said member
 
ls01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: is everything
Posts: 9,138

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06 View Post
I saw you guys talking about this before. Does wahoo do the same thing? I find it strange that it would know. I guess if you live in PHX than you are always at 100 percent?

Does it do the same thing for cold weather riding?
There is no acclimatization for cold weather. You just lose your hot weather acclimatization.
ls01 is offline  
Old 07-05-20, 03:12 PM
  #12252  
ls01
he said member
 
ls01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: is everything
Posts: 9,138

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
I need to wash the Fatboy.
That just reads wrong on all levels
ls01 is offline  
Likes For ls01:
Old 07-05-20, 03:14 PM
  #12253  
ls01
he said member
 
ls01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: is everything
Posts: 9,138

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
Any Smoke on the Water?

#DeepPurple
That's not smoke , its steam.
ls01 is offline  
Old 07-05-20, 03:21 PM
  #12254  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 32,400

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 456 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12297 Post(s)
Liked 1,455 Times in 787 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS View Post
BITD (Early/mid 70's) my mom called the starter Herman.
#TheMoreYouKnow
You may have missed it, I said a few days ago that serious sourdough bakers name their starter. Mine is nameless so far but open to suggestions.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 07-05-20, 03:23 PM
  #12255  
ls01
he said member
 
ls01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: is everything
Posts: 9,138

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06 View Post
Figured as much, though havnt really had any issues until this point.
Still donít have full use of my left hand, but decided I would suck it up until tuesday. I start a four day trip, if itís not better by the time I get home then off to a doctor.
yeah, that's probably not good. I mean you being a pilot and all... Most likely too much pressure on the bars , irritates the nerves that run through the hands. Being uncomfortable in the saddle we look for ways to sit that takes pressure of our ass. leading to discomfort elsewhere. Find a saddle that fits and go from there.
Edit: don't forget the longer you are in the saddle the more things will change. A saddle thats ok for 40 miles might be torture for 80. Also 1 or 2 degrees of tilt can be the difference between heaven and hell.

Last edited by ls01; 07-05-20 at 03:26 PM.
ls01 is offline  
Old 07-05-20, 03:27 PM
  #12256  
bampilot06
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 1,532

Bikes: Cervťlo C2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01 View Post
yeah, that's probably not good. I mean you being a pilot and all... Most likely too much pressure on the bars , irritates the nerves that run through the hands. Being uncomfortable in the saddle we look for ways to sit that takes pressure of our ass. leading to discomfort elsewhere. Find a saddle that fits and go from there.
Edit: don't forget the longer you are in the saddle the more things will change. A saddle thats ok for 40 miles might be torture for 80. Also 1 or 2 degrees of tilt can be the difference between heaven and hell.

bah humbug may be sending me a saddle soon, it would be sweet if that fixed the problem. I havnt thought about changing the tilt yet. Thought I would try the new one, and if that didnít help then off to get fit. I donít know of any good fitters in the area. I was just gunna head over to trek, I think itís roughly 75 bucks for a fit.
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 07-05-20, 03:28 PM
  #12257  
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: NW Metro Atl.
Posts: 4,604

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3481 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 103 Posts
Originally Posted by gnome View Post
yes.
Symple Symon?
DougRNS is offline  
Old 07-05-20, 03:29 PM
  #12258  
ls01
he said member
 
ls01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: is everything
Posts: 9,138

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
I looked through a box of stuff and I actually have a Halo II headband I ordered in 2012(!) but never opened. I guess I should try it out, eh?

Also found some bar tape that can be used. In worse shape are the brifter covers. I guess eBay is the place to go for that? (ancient 6600s)
check Amazon too, sometimes the herd mentality drives eBay prices off the chart
ls01 is offline  
Likes For ls01:
Old 07-05-20, 03:30 PM
  #12259  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 36,577

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 635 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13460 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 273 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
You may have missed it, I said a few days ago that serious sourdough bakers name their starter. Mine is nameless so far but open to suggestions.
Seems you didn't appreciate the inflammatory humour of my IL-6 suggestion. Sad.
__________________
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 07-05-20, 03:32 PM
  #12260  
Pirkaus
Coffin Dodger
 
Pirkaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 2,076

Bikes: Motobecane Vent Noir, Lynskey R345, Serotta Nova Special X

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
You may have missed it, I said a few days ago that serious sourdough bakers name their starter. Mine is nameless so far but open to suggestions.
Name it Audrey, aka Little Shop of Horrors, feed me!
Pirkaus is offline  
Likes For Pirkaus:
Old 07-05-20, 03:35 PM
  #12261  
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: NW Metro Atl.
Posts: 4,604

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3481 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 103 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
You may have missed it, I said a few days ago that serious sourdough bakers name their starter. Mine is nameless so far but open to suggestions.
Jackie in honor of your cat.
DougRNS is offline  
Old 07-05-20, 03:35 PM
  #12262  
ls01
he said member
 
ls01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: is everything
Posts: 9,138

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06 View Post
bah humbug may be sending me a saddle soon, it would be sweet if that fixed the problem. I havnt thought about changing the tilt yet. Thought I would try the new one, and if that didnít help then off to get fit. I donít know of any good fitters in the area. I was just gunna head over to trek, I think itís roughly 75 bucks for a fit.
thats a good starting point.
1st measure you sit bones so you know what width ssddle you need.
I use 2 layers of cardboard. I place the cardboard on the porch sit down on it and lift my feet slightly to put pressure on the cardboard. Get up. Take a crayon or chalk and rub it on the flat over the cardboard to reveal the dimples left by you sit bones . measure center to center, add 1 centemeter to that number. That's your sit bone width.
ls01 is offline  
Likes For ls01:
Old 07-05-20, 03:37 PM
  #12263  
ls01
he said member
 
ls01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: is everything
Posts: 9,138

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
You may have missed it, I said a few days ago that serious sourdough bakers name their starter. Mine is nameless so far but open to suggestions.
name it Oscar after ijens old bike
ls01 is offline  
Old 07-05-20, 03:38 PM
  #12264  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 32,400

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 456 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12297 Post(s)
Liked 1,455 Times in 787 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
Seems you didn't appreciate the inflammatory humour of my IL-6 suggestion. Sad.
Correct. It's more of a multiplier than an inflamer. Sorry. Try again. Try harder.

Originally Posted by Pirkaus View Post
Name it Audrey, aka Little Shop of Horrors, feed me!
Winning.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 07-05-20, 03:42 PM
  #12265  
Bah Humbug
runner
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 15,775

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5586 Post(s)
Liked 1,341 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr View Post
Uh... slacker.
Remember when I was uncomfortable riding outside at all?
Bah Humbug is offline  
Old 07-05-20, 03:43 PM
  #12266  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 36,577

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 635 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13460 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 273 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
Correct. It's more of a multiplier than an inflamer. Sorry. Try again. Try harder.
I thought it's what puffs the bread up, in lieu of yeast?
__________________
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 07-05-20, 03:47 PM
  #12267  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 32,400

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 456 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12297 Post(s)
Liked 1,455 Times in 787 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
I thought it's what puffs the bread up, in lieu of yeast?
Yes, but it's a living thing.

Apparently it contains natural "wild" yeast plus lactobacilli. The combination ferments the dough and the fermentation gives the bubbles that make it rise.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 07-05-20, 03:48 PM
  #12268  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 32,400

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 456 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12297 Post(s)
Liked 1,455 Times in 787 Posts
I guess I could name it "Bubbles."
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 07-05-20, 03:49 PM
  #12269  
ls01
he said member
 
ls01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: is everything
Posts: 9,138

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 183 Posts
So Friday we were doing 80 miler. I started off ok. It got hot fast. I had problems holding 22 mph in the line and couldn't pull at all. I noticed my heart rate was way low for me. And I couldn't really get over 115 bpm. I was extremely distressed. By the last 20 miles I couldn't even rotate through, I stayed in the back and sucked wheels.
I think now I know what may have happened. I woke up with the onset of heart burn. I get it frequently and medicate for it. The problem is I am a creature of habit. Instead of only taking my Omeprazole, I took all of my meds. Blood pressure cholesterol and aspirin. I also took them the previous evening , pretty much doubling my dosage.
I took yesterday off the bike. Today I was back to normally 150, 160 bpm no problem.
​​​​​best part, no meds since Friday. 117 over 67 bp today after my ride
ls01 is offline  
Old 07-05-20, 03:54 PM
  #12270  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 32,400

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 456 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12297 Post(s)
Liked 1,455 Times in 787 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01 View Post
So Friday we were doing 80 miler. I started off ok. It got hot fast. I had problems holding 22 mph in the line and couldn't pull at all. I noticed my heart rate was way low for me. And I couldn't really get over 115 bpm. I was extremely distressed. By the last 20 miles I couldn't even rotate through, I stayed in the back and sucked wheels.
I think now I know what may have happened. I woke up with the onset of heart burn. I get it frequently and medicate for it. The problem is I am a creature of habit. Instead of only taking my Omeprazole, I took all of my meds. Blood pressure cholesterol and aspirin. I also took them the previous evening , pretty much doubling my dosage.
I took yesterday off the bike. Today I was back to normally 150, 160 bpm no problem.
​​​​​best part, no meds since Friday. 117 over 67 bp today after my ride
If one of your BP meds is a beta blocker or a certain type of calcium channel blocker (non-dihydropyridine class) then that is almost certainly the bad actor.

I sometimes joke that the best way to dope your way towards winning a race is to put a beta blocker in your opponent's water bottle.

It's a JOKE but it would work, prolly.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 07-05-20, 04:03 PM
  #12271  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 36,577

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 635 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13460 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 273 Posts
So blood pressure medicine prevents your heart from beating faster?
__________________
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 07-05-20, 04:06 PM
  #12272  
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chittenango, NY
Posts: 48,053

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7748 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 448 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01 View Post
That just reads wrong on all levels
__________________
Originally Posted by Heathpack View Post
Amateur bike racing is just a fun thing, as far as I know, there's no penalty for not winning.
rjones28 is offline  
Old 07-05-20, 04:08 PM
  #12273  
ls01
he said member
 
ls01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: is everything
Posts: 9,138

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 183 Posts
The second thing.
Flat tires. Thursday I cut the sidewall on a rear tire on my Camaro. Good year run flats. They were getting on in years so I wasn't crushed. (They rode like poo, very harsh, I was ready to move on) after shopping around I found a new tire shop. Hes getting me some Firestone 500's , $820.00.
Better than the $1300.00 that I was quoted by Belle tire.
So home and put on the stripper shoes. (Spare set)
Oil change, fix door locks, realign pas window. Drive it to mom and dads for dinner. Time to go home. Left front blows out. Don't know why. Call my brother. Come get me! Home. Get the other ,spare pair from the firebird. Get the Camaro home. Order 2 Nitto's to replace front stripper shoes.
Today. Wake up. Get to ride and..... get a flat.on the bike this time.
Rubber is no match for MI. Roads.
Ygtbsm!
ls01 is offline  
Old 07-05-20, 04:09 PM
  #12274  
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chittenango, NY
Posts: 48,053

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7748 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 448 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug View Post
Remember when I was uncomfortable riding outside at all?
Look at you go.
__________________
Originally Posted by Heathpack View Post
Amateur bike racing is just a fun thing, as far as I know, there's no penalty for not winning.
rjones28 is offline  
Likes For rjones28:
Old 07-05-20, 04:13 PM
  #12275  
ls01
he said member
 
ls01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: is everything
Posts: 9,138

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
If one of your BP meds is a beta blocker or a certain type of calcium channel blocker (non-dihydropyridine class) then that is almost certainly the bad actor.

I sometimes joke that the best way to dope your way towards winning a race is to put a beta blocker in your opponent's water bottle.

It's a JOKE but it would work, prolly.
Yeah, its the only thing I can think of. I've done the back to back with the meds before but never before a ride with a gaggle of hamers heads. I felt ok just unable to do,, if that makes sense..
meds are Atorvastatin , Atenelol, asprin and omeprazole
ls01 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.