Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

School commute - Arkel bug?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-06, 02:05 PM
ceridwen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey, I'm new here, only been commuting for about 3 weeks now but I am really enjoying it and definately want to continue.

I ride 2.5-3 miles to school every day (distance depends where on campus I need to go). I live in Orlando, FL so it's already getting pretty warm, and will only get warmer from here. For the last couple of weeks, the backpack has been no big deal due to the cooler weather, but now it's heating and up, and even with it just in the 80's today my entire back was covered in sweat by the time I made it to school.

Whatever I bring I have to carry around all day, so bringing a change of clothes every day isn't an ideal solution, especially since I already have to carry one change for one of my lab classes (aquatic biology, have to bring boots and old clothes). Obviously, I'm going to get somewhat sweaty, and I can deal with that, but my whole back being covered in sweat is rather uncomfortable. I tried using bungies to attach my backpack to the rear rack, but it took me like 5 minutes to get it on there securely, and the straps desperately want to escape.

So I've been looking more seriously at the Arkel bug. Are there any other options like this out there? It seems like it would be faster/more efficient than strapping my backpack to the rear rack, and would give me a place to put my helmet, which gets annoying to carry around school anyways. But the cost is pretty high, so I would be interested in hearing from some people who actually use this before I invest in it. I'd also like some feedback on how well it handles water. Even if I don't commute in the rain (I'm still undecided on this and it has not come up yet) I've gotten soaked from head to toe just walking from class to class so I do need something that can handle getting wet without soaking my stuff.
Old 02-17-06, 03:31 PM
DerekU2

Bikes: 2005 Orbea Dauphine, 1997 GT Timberline

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Bug is DESIGNED for people in your situation. I have one, and it's a great bag. It's a good panier and it also makes for a good backpack. I've been in some pretty heavy downpours and the only time I've ever gotten anything wet was when the zipper wasn't fully closed. Still, if you're worried about it you can always wrap the stuff inside the bag in a plastic bag or get the waterproof cover they sell for the bug. My bike doesn't have fenders yet so the bag does get kinda dirty in the rain and wet weather, but it brushes off pretty easily.

I say go for it. It's high enough quality that it will last you for years.
Old 02-17-06, 07:09 PM
Walkafire

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
+1 for "the Bug"

When I first got it, I could not believe how much room there was inside.

I have these old Kirtland Panniers that are on a hook in the garage because my bike now has "the Bug". My old panniers were great, so this Bug is a pretty damn good backpack/pannier in order for me to put away my good ole Kirtlands!

I do like the Helmet pouch also. The side pockets are good for holding gloves and water bottle when you are on foot. There is an inside pocket great for a Cable lock or a U-lock.

When I got mine, I sprayed the whole thing pretty well with Coleman Water Repellent. I have no need for the Rain Cover they offer.

Old 02-18-06, 07:34 PM
jimmuter
Urban Biker

Bikes: Trek 720 hybrid; 2007 Specialized Tricross Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have the Bug, but I have other Arkel products and can vouch for their quality. You can't go wrong buying their products.
Old 02-19-06, 12:40 AM
knykersnatchurs
put commut in community

Bikes: 2006 Redline Conquest Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i do not have the bug nor any other messenger type bag that they offer for commuters. but on an number of occasions i've come across posts where people have suggested the timbuk2 and chrome bags.

www.timbuk2.com

www.chromebags.com
Old 02-19-06, 03:29 AM
chicbicyclist

Bikes: Batavus Old Dutch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You can always use bike baskets that goes on your rack. Your commute is only a few miles, so it should suffice. Some people in the cycling community might consider it too "gay" but I prefer it. Makes my bike looks like an actual commuter/utility bike. I also can't justify spending alot of money for bike specific "paniers" or bags that looks so ugly, IMO , but the Chrome messenger bags do look a bit cool.

Oh yeah, don't forget to use the bungee cords to keep the stuff from flying away.
Old 02-19-06, 11:13 PM
ceridwen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I'm glad to hear the quality is high enough to make the purchase worthwhile, and the waterresistance thing is definately good. My current bag is prone to letting in water when it really gets wet here.

The messenger bag suggestion I don't think will help me. It won't solve the sweating problem and the ones big enough to hold what I need to carry would swallow me up I think.

I am thinking about picking up some folding Wald baskets at least until I can afford something more waterproof like the the Bug. I had forgotten about that option, and it will help with making grocery runs and such with the bike as well. Definately going to get one for my car-free roomate at least.
Old 02-19-06, 11:52 PM
BeTheChange
Climb on my trusty steed

Bikes: trek 520, specialized stumpjumper pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had the bug for about 2 years now. I'm a senior biology major so I understand needing space and something sturdy to hold the amazingly heavy books they give us. Also for the last two years I did an internship at UCF outside of orlando and biked every day about 3 miles or so. You need to get the water cover in florida rain. Even with this it can let some water in the back I've found so it may be a good idea to put textbooks in a drybag/plasticbag.

To make grocery runs it may be a good idea to get a grocery bag pannier while you are at it. I have the arkel grocery bag pannier and you can lock it with a small padlock to your rack. It's an easy way to bring your lock from place to place and you can always fill it up with extra stuff from shopping or whatever. With both of these on your rack it makes life a lot easier. You can go to the supermarket and put on the backpack, do your shopping, put all your food in the grocery bag pannier, then ride home. No need to worry about anyone stealing your stuff or not having enough space.

In the summer in florida you will run into rain. I would look at the fender/mudflap thread that someone just started. It will help a lot with staying clean when the roads are wet. Hell, in Orlando you can usually just wait ten minutes and the rain will stop anyways.

If you don't want to invest all of that money ziptieing a crate to your rear rack will work alright as well, just may not be as stable and won't look as clean. The arkel stuff will last you a while and you will never bust a stitch, it's super durrable. Good luck, hope this was useful.
Old 02-20-06, 12:04 AM
bigskymacadam
so whatcha' want?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
arkel = good

Cycling Rocks! | Local Race Photos
Old 02-20-06, 12:07 AM
DerekU2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is this the grocery bag panier you were talking about?
https://www.arkel-od.com/panniers/uti...asp?fl=1&site=

That looks big, and all, but personally I think I could make do with a wire basket on one side and the bug on the other. The bug can be used for bringing school/work stuff around all day while the basket can hold grocery bags and other assorted clunky items. If money was no object, I'd have an Arkel for every occasion, though! I love their products.
Old 02-20-06, 12:14 AM
BeTheChange
Climb on my trusty steed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep, that's it. You could really make do with anything really. The Arkel grocery bag pannier is just really useful. I've got the older model with only one clip (of which one of the teeth broke off). It's in great shape though considering I've broken a frame that had the bag on it and laid the bike down many, many, many times.

I think the nicest thing about the grocery bag pannier is that it ballons taller than the bag for when you have a whole lot. It's a good half foot taller than my rack when it's completely full. The only downside is that all Arkel stuff is expensive compared to other bike stuff. But I justify it by seeing that filling up my car costs 30 bucks or something like that and I haven't done that since before katrina hit. So, two or three tanks of gas and it has paid for itself (which it already has).

I also have a full set of touring panniers in my closet. I guess I'm just a gear nut. I save up to buy gear so that I can have experiences instead of buying stuff that is the experience.

[edit] I just realized the new bag has a lot of nice new features compared to mine. The grocery bag pannier I have is just a big bag with a wallet pocket inside. I like the new design a lot with all the extra pockets and it still costs the same. [edit]
Old 02-20-06, 08:53 AM
ceridwen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BeTheChange
I have had the bug for about 2 years now. I'm a senior biology major so I understand needing space and something sturdy to hold the amazingly heavy books they give us. Also for the last two years I did an internship at UCF outside of orlando and biked every day about 3 miles or so. You need to get the water cover in florida rain. Even with this it can let some water in the back I've found so it may be a good idea to put textbooks in a drybag/plasticbag.

Haha, I'm a senior Bio Major, hopefully getting out of here in the fall, but I'll probably still be bike commuting wherever I end up at grad school. Good to hear feedback from someone about Florida rain, sometimes I think it is its own breed.

I'm probably gonna get a folding basket instead of a grocery pannier for one side, and to deal with my backpack in the short term, and possibly pick up the bug later on. I don't have enough money to drop on a bug just yet. I appreciate the feedback though!
Old 02-20-06, 09:18 AM
FLBandit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can you get a locker in the gym? Maybe you could leave some things there.
Old 02-20-06, 09:49 AM
CBBaron

Bikes: Pugsley, fixie commuter, track bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Bug is good but expensive solution. If you want a cheaper idea just strap a milk crate or file crate to your rack. You can throw the back pack in the crate for your commute and the crate will be useful for shopping. Its not nearly as elegant solution as the Bug but its effective and cheap.
I use a messenger bag and change clothes at the office. The messanger bag won't really help your problem, but you could consider renting a locker on campus an changing. However I think a Bug or crate will be easier to use on a daily basis.
Craig
Old 02-20-06, 10:33 AM
rat_factory
= cyclist's tan

Bikes: '82 Miyata 310, '87 Scott Boulder, '87 Schwinn Le Tour, '91 Cannondale SM500, '96 Schwinn Clear Creek, '99 Schwinn MesaGS, '05 Rockhopper

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
this is my pack. its not a pannier but its pretty similar to the Bug and it has room for a hydration bladder.
https://www.postalbags.com/source/2.htm
Old 02-20-06, 10:53 AM
DogBoy
No one carries the DogBoy

Bikes: Roubaix Expert Di2, Jamis Renegade, Surly Disc Trucker, Cervelo P2, CoMotion Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CBBaron
The Bug is good but expensive solution. If you want a cheaper idea just strap a milk crate or file crate to your rack.
I have a Bug that I use with one bike and I have a milk crate on the other bike. Here are the pros/cons as I see them:

Bug:
Pros:
very neat
fits my stuff well
once attached to the rack its on until I take it off.

Cons:
When I want to take a change of clothes, books, and a few extras including my lock, its not so big anymore.
I have problems with the hook at the end of the elastic getting stuck at the junction of my rack/fender mount.
I have trouble finding a place for my lock...(I'm using the helmet holder currently)
After taking it off I have to un-velcro the straps before I'm off.
The hook sticks into my back when wearing it as a back-pack.

Milk Crate:
Pros:
Cheap ($10 including zip ties and hardware to mount my lights).
Lots of room to fit my traditional backpack full of clothes/books etc.
I can drop my lock in the bottom of the rack and not have to fit it in the bag nor fuss with it when I get to my destination.
When I'm there, I park & lift the backpack and I'm on my way.

Cons:
Mounting/unmounting: The high walls of the milk crate require a bit of additional flexibility to clear with my leg.
Also, when loaded it gets a bit more tricky since the weight of the crate is quite high, and any small tilt gets a lever effect.
Its pretty homely.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-20-06, 12:02 PM
BeTheChange
Climb on my trusty steed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DogBoy
Cons:

The hook sticks into my back when wearing it as a back-pack.
Try hooking the hook to the swivel lock thing on the top of the bag. Then pull the bungee out both sides of the pack so it lays flat and no more hook in the back. You can even fold the bungee back under the top hooks like in the picture on the arkel site if you want it to look better.

Also if you have another bag on your rack (just a basket or whatever) it's good to have just as a place to put your lock. Might as well because you'll never have to bring your lock with you unless you have your bike so it can just live in the basket on your bike.

OP: Two cheap grocery bag panniers from nashbar may be a way to go. You can throw your backpack in one and your lock or whatever in the other then just lock them to the bike. I think they are only 17 bucks a piece. This would be a quick and cheap way to transport your stuff and still have a rack to strap extra stuff to.
Old 02-20-06, 01:03 PM
sbeatonNJ
"I love lamp"

Bikes: 06 Fuji Track with upgrades, 06 Redline Flight Monocog, 01 Trek XO1, 2003 Cervelo P3, 2006 Bianchi San Jose monstercross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Carry an extra t-shirt, this I what I would do. I would wear a cool max type shirt and then at school go in the bathroom cool off a little change to a tshirt and I was ready to go.
Old 02-21-06, 01:19 AM
chimivee
powerfully luxurious

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question for you Bug owners:

I just ordered one and recieved it last week. The helmet holder seems awkward when not in use. There is quite a bit of slack in it, and it hangs away loosely from the bag. I then noticed that my bag is different than the one shown on the site.

The compression straps, shown on the website, are routed through lash tabs (those flat rubber diamond shaped thingys sewn to the side of the pack):

My Bug does not have these lash tabs, but instead the straps are routed through platic loops right next to the zipper:

Does anyone have this [new?] version? Is the "slack" issue a problem on the lash-tab version? Is there a way to get the helmet holder to lay more flat?

Thanks.
Old 02-21-06, 03:42 AM
chicbicyclist

Bikes: Batavus Old Dutch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Its pretty homely.
I wouldnt consider that a negative. Utility bikes need to stop looking too sporty and more "homely"!
Old 02-21-06, 08:12 AM
DogBoy
No one carries the DogBoy

Bikes: Roubaix Expert Di2, Jamis Renegade, Surly Disc Trucker, Cervelo P2, CoMotion Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chimivee
Question for you Bug owners:...Does anyone have this [new?] version? Is the "slack" issue a problem on the lash-tab version? Is there a way to get the helmet holder to lay more flat?

Thanks.
I have the kind as pictured in the website and slack would be a problem if I didn't stuff more things in it. I use the helmet holder to carry my 2nd set of cycling clothing and my lock. If left empty, it is pretty slack. Then again, that doesn't bother me.
Old 02-21-06, 08:28 AM
landstander
darling no baka

Location: I come from a place where the nuts hunt the squirrels

Bikes: Bike Friday New World Tourist, 2005 Trek 520, 2005 Raleigh Companion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chimivee
Question for you Bug owners:

I just ordered one and recieved it last week. The helmet holder seems awkward when not in use. There is quite a bit of slack in it, and it hangs away loosely from the bag. I then noticed that my bag is different than the one shown on the site.
Does anyone have this [new?] version? Is the "slack" issue a problem on the lash-tab version? Is there a way to get the helmet holder to lay more flat?
I purchased mine direct from Arkel last July, and it appears to be identical to yours. While the helmet holder does have some slack when not in use, I've never found this to cause any trouble. I don't do anything special, aside from pulling the straps snug before starting off.
Old 02-21-06, 09:37 AM
DerekU2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just checked my Bug - it's the same as yours. I Don't use the helmet holder too much, so I just pull most of the slack from it. It's really not much of an issue other than aesthetics. And, frankly, you're riding around with a bag hanging from a rack on the back of your bicycle - that isn't going to look cool under any circumstances.
Old 02-21-06, 12:14 PM
chimivee
powerfully luxurious

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. It sounds like the slack isn't really an issue.

I actually just received an email reply from Arkel (they're fast!) about it, and they stated that my bag is a slightly newer design, intended to reduce the chance of an ubuckled strap getting caught in the spokes. This is interesting, because, on the Arkel site it shows the older lash tabs and states "the lashtabs on the sides ensure that the straps will not dangle dangerously close to the spokes." So, I wonder if this was still a problem? (Do you veteran Buggers have horror stories about this?!)

Anyway, regarding the saggy helmet holder, they kindly provided the suggestion of folding the helmet holder back, like this:

It seemed a bit odd, but I tried it and it works, making the bag more streamlined in pannier or backpack mode. The straps still function to compress the bag as well (the straps get a half-twist in them, but you can simply pull the buckle off and flip it if you want the straps to be flat - works either way, though).

BTW, the Arkel people are great. Their rep has consistently been helpful, courteous, and prompt in answering all of my question. Excellent product and service.