Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Which hand to grab water bottle with?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Which hand to grab water bottle with?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-07, 07:04 PM
dobber
Perineal Pressurized

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you're riding fixed then you've got that magical ninja / obi-wan ability that allows you to anticipate and completely obfuscate life threatening situations. So fixies feel free to clutch a turkey leg in one hand whilst duffing ones thirst with a lager of suds from the other.
This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.
Old 03-13-07, 07:22 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Now that everyone has weighed in, it's time for the ChipcomMan method...being always prepared for anything, my Chipcom bottles are also fitted with explosive charges powerful enough to take out an Abrams tank...screw the brakes, I just toss the water bottle with my powerful, laser accurate Chipcom throw and take out whatever dares to get in my way!
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 03-13-07, 08:11 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclaholic
Ahhhh, yes, now I see...... them
Looks good to me even from the down under perspective.
Old 03-13-07, 08:14 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by chipcom
I just toss the water bottle with my powerful, laser accurate Chipcom throw and take out whatever dares to get in my way!
B-B-But ChipComMan, other cyclists in the peloton might stumble over the wayward water bottle. Think of the Humanity!
Old 03-13-07, 08:20 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
B-B-But ChipComMan, other cyclists in the peloton might stumble over the wayward water bottle. Think of the Humanity!
peloton for wussy
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 03-13-07, 11:45 PM
scottmorrison99
New! With Self Loathing!

Bikes: 2013 Jamis Xenith T time trial bike, 2013 Jamis Xenith Elite

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
Now that everyone has weighed in, it's time for the ChipcomMan method...being always prepared for anything, my Chipcom bottles are also fitted with explosive charges powerful enough to take out an Abrams tank...screw the brakes, I just toss the water bottle with my powerful, laser accurate Chipcom throw and take out whatever dares to get in my way!
And you claim you didn't make that cager crash. Now we know how you did it.

Weird Bike Guy Blog
Old 03-14-07, 11:08 AM
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow

Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Helmet Head
Regular road bike with DA STI levers. If my left hand is firmly on the bars, whether it is braking, or not, I can put my right hand/wrist holding the bottle in front of the lever and push it back towards me, thus engaging the brake - I have to simultaneously counter that force with my left hand to keep from losing control, of course.

Also, to change say rear gears with a bottle in my right hand, I can hit the lever sideways with the bottle.

You must have a really short top tube and stem combo or monkey arms. That is an impossible task with my set up. Of course if you are sitting in the armchair with the bike facing you, it should be pretty easy to hit the brake lever with your wrist.

I would love to see a pic or video of you riding a bike holding a water bottle and braking with your wrist.
Old 03-14-07, 11:10 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by slowandsteady
I would love to see a pic or video of you riding a bike holding a water bottle and braking with your wrist.
But which hand holds the camera?
Old 03-14-07, 01:08 PM
celticfrost
Raising the Abyss

Bikes: Expensive ones that I ride slowly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Gee3
To it's preference and what you are comfortable with. My friend and I are both right handed, yet he uses his left hand to grab the bottle and I use my right. We also are opposites when mounting and unmounting. I unclip my right leg when stopping and he unclips his left. It's just what I got used to.

So, honestly, there's no right or wrong answer to your question.

Case closed.
I concur. Use whatever hand combo of grabbing the H2O and braking/ steering that feels best and leaves you with the most coordination skills.

And if I must have an opinion then I prefer using the left for H2O.
"...in Las Vegas where -the electric bills are staggering -the decor hog wild -and the entertainment saccharine -what a golden age -what a time of right and reason -the consumer's king -and unhappiness is treason..."
Old 03-14-07, 02:28 PM
chephy
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Panic stop for what? Traffic that materialized from nowhere? If there is the slightest possibility that brakes are going to be needed (example: approaching an intersection or nearby pedestrians) don't be grabbing a water bottle at all.
+1. And if there is always traffic around, that probably means you're in a densely populated area and within a minute you'll be stuck at some red light which gives you a chance to hold the bottle with both hands if you want. Also +1 to the comment on dropping the bottle. Also: for most riders, performing an emergency braking maneouvre while having only the weaker hand on the handlebars will result in an immediate ungraceful crash. I think the advantages of controlling the bike with a more skilled hand far outweight the disadvantage of not having immediate access to front brake, given that a front brake could not be used to its full power in those circustances anyway.
Old 03-14-07, 05:32 PM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slowandsteady
You must have a really short top tube and stem combo or monkey arms. That is an impossible task with my set up. Of course if you are sitting in the armchair with the bike facing you, it should be pretty easy to hit the brake lever with your wrist.

Well, it's not the most comfortable position, but it works. It requires pushing the right shoulder forward, I guess. I never really analyzed all the details.

Also, I don't mean to imply I can or would do this in the context of an emergency stop. Only for light braking.
Old 03-14-07, 05:35 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Well, it's not the most comfortable position, but it works. It requires pushing the right shoulder forward, I guess. I never really analyzed all the details.
I'm surprised you even get yourself in situations where braking while holding WB is needed, even if just a casual slow down.

Al
Old 03-14-07, 08:08 PM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
I'm surprised you even get yourself in situations where braking while holding WB is needed, even if just a casual slow down.

Al
About all I can think of is slowing from around 8 to around 5 on a beach boardwalk or something.
Old 03-14-07, 11:33 PM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
my preferred technique is both hands off the bars, steering with my arse, doing 40 mph downhill on a loaded touring bike. i usually grab the waterbottle with my left so I can operate the digicamera with my right hand.

that needing to brake stuff is sooo metro......
Old 03-15-07, 08:38 AM
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow

Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Brian, given that your brake levers are switched on your two bikes, do you ever think about which is front and which is rear on either bike?

I don't. I just brake.

You should be thinking about it. The front brake has considerably more stopping power than the rear. I almost never use the rear brake.
Old 03-15-07, 10:06 AM
catatonic
Chairman of the Bored

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well, if I'm on a pretty grueling ride, where I really don't want to screw up my pace to bend down to grab a bottle...I'll keep it in my hand until it's empty, then put it back and grab the other one.

...so yes, I have used brakes with a bottle in my hande regularly.

The trick is to get one of the large specialized brand bottles. They have a rather tall thin point in the bottle that's perfect for this. As a bonus, those bottles are pretty cheap too, I get them 3 for $12.
Old 03-16-07, 07:36 PM
Senexs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
get those beer caps you put on your lid, fill em with water. no more reaching involved.
Old 03-22-07, 02:59 AM
BeTheChange
Climb on my trusty steed

Bikes: trek 520, specialized stumpjumper pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Left hand! I end up shifting a lot with my right so my left hand can go numb in races or hard rides from not moving it as much. Using my left for the water bottle keeps it moving.
Old 03-22-07, 06:49 AM
Speedo

Bikes: Univega Gran Turismo, Guerciotti, Bridgestone MB2, Bike Friday New World Tourist, Serotta Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kartoffel
Those water bottles can get expensive! Probably better to crash the bike and maybe pay a little more in medical bills.
Plus the medical bills might be covered by insurance, the water bottle won't be.

That said, +1 for whatever hand is comfortable.
Old 03-22-07, 07:33 AM
MarkS

Bikes: Fuji Absolut '04 / Fuji 'Marlboro' Folder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dehydration is the number one killer of sports recreationalists. Everyone should know how to grab the WB with either hand.
Old 03-22-07, 09:56 AM
Phantoj
Certifiable Bike "Expert"

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello? You can't brake effectively with only one hand on the bars. In the "panic stop" situation, best to drop or throw the bottle and grab on with both hands.
Old 03-22-07, 10:23 AM
jfmckenna
Tiocfáidh ár Lá

Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by jmckenna
I agree. The front brake is what stops you. And for those who suggested they can just throw the bottle well thats just not cool. You can easily take down another rider with a bottle bouncing and rolling all over the road.
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
Um... last time I lost a waterbottle during a commute, the car which ran it over didn't seem to be affected much.

Get this. On my two road bikes, the front brake lever is on my left. On my fixed gear, the front brake lever is on my right.

I think I am confused...
Um...But that doesn't really pertain to my original statement does it Brian?

I have the brakes reversed on my cross and fixed gear bikes and I guess it can be confusing but in the end it's just braking.
Old 03-23-07, 09:48 AM
Dchiefransom

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Plus, I can brake using my wrist while my bottle is in my hand.
Plus, in an extremely unlikely scenario (e.g., a tree falls into my path across the entire road) I know I can rely on my instincts to let go of the bottle and start braking long before I even realize what's going on.
It's also a bike type specific assumption on their part. It's very hard to go over the handlebars on a 'bent. My front bottle is mounted on the riser under the left side of the bar.