Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How to Carry Weight While Commuting

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-04, 11:51 PM
mhill251
New Commuter

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am new to commuting and I need to carry a backpack with my notebook computer, folders, etc.... I also carry a lunch and will need to carry clothes to change into.

Does anyone have advice on how to carry all of this efficiently?
Old 03-24-04, 12:58 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
I sure do prefer to commute in the warmer months, when you can carry less stuff. Example, a winter/rain proof jacket takes up the bigger part of a pannier..(days warm here, only need it on way back in the AM after PM shift.).
In the summer all I need take is work related articles.
But with two panniers, and a pack on a rack, there is plenty of room.. If I had to take a change of clothes daily, the panniers would be full.
It is much better to have clothes, shoes, towels, etc at work..Save you a lot of weight. I used to carry all this stuff in a back pack..Not much carrying space..I recomment panniers.
Old 03-24-04, 12:58 AM
Patrick A

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
[Hap Hazard]OOOOoooolathah![/Hap Hazard]

Heheh, just kidding ! Anyhow, welcome neighbor!

I'm sure that you'll get much more in depth information by far more knowledgeable members than myself, but let me throw in my .02 for what it's worth...

A backpack is OK for short rides, but it can really get to your shoulders and back if it's really loaded down. Throw in the fact that you sweat under one pretty bad, and they rule themselves out as a viable option (at least for me), especially in muggy KC summers.

A rack is the way to go IMO. You can carry a great deal of stuff, and there is a ton of good panniers out there. I have a Jandd briefcase pannier that I use most of the time for commuting - it is expandable to 2000 ci and was easy to waterproof. It's big enough for a change of clothes and lunch and file folders and so forth. There's room in it to carry a laptop, but they also make bags just for that. Anyhow, it has a nice padded strap, and you can take it off the rack and carry it around into stores/restaurants, etc, so you don't look like a dork lugging around some awkward bag . I also have a pair of Trek panniers that I use as back up/extra storage and for groceries. Anyhow, here's the Jandd Laptop Pannier, FYI. Very good quality stuff, IMO.

A courier bag by Timbuk2, for example, can come in a number of different sizes, can be made laptop compatible, and since it's not square on your back it's "sweat zone" is greatly reduced. I've been meaning to pick one up. You can never have too much variety when it comes to carrying capacity!

Lastly, and I can't stress this enough - if you buy crap (like some cheapo toy store pannier) it will be a pain in the long run. And BTW, I didn't know there were any bike commuters in Olathe! LOL j/k Anyhow, best of luck to you!

Old 03-24-04, 02:11 AM
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Get two panniers. They can not only carry more, but will place less strain on your back and shoulders than a backpack, and will be much better in warmer conditions. Also remember to get a rack that mounts to your frame and not to your seatpost. This is vitally important, because any weight placed on a seatpost mounted rack will leave you with a lot of riding "out of the saddle".

That is all.
Old 03-24-04, 03:06 AM
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Rack and panniers here, too. They lower your bike's centre of gravity when loaded and will make the bike easier to handle.

--J

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 03-24-04, 06:26 AM
ridealot
Cyclist and village idiot

Bikes: 2005 Gary Fisher Nirvana S 2001 Trek 2200 1999 Schwinn Mesa 1989 Mangussa?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Same here with the rack and Panniers. I leave the one pannier at work during the week and It has my shower stuff and drees shoes in it, that way I am not taking it back and forth everyday
Old 03-24-04, 06:29 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Rack and panniers.
Most panniers have handles and will snap together (or velcro) after they are removed from the bike so they can be carried as a single unit. They come in several sizes so you can go small and compact or big and roomy.
Look at some of the styles and sizes at Nashbar, Performance, REI.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 03-24-04, 06:55 AM
Daily Commute
Ride the Road

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check; hard tail MTB

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
The others are right: Rack and panniers are the way to go. I like the Jandd briefcase panniers. https://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FCBP. They have a great rain cover which can be zipper away to turn your pannier into a soft briefcase. Since you bring a laptop, you should look at the laptop insert for the pannier. I've never tried it.

Even though the Jandd's work great, there have been a couple of torrential downpours during which some water seeped into the bottom of my panniers. So if something absolutely has to stay dry, put it in a plastic grocery bag before sticking it in the panniers.

Enjoy your commute!
Old 03-24-04, 08:13 AM
DanFromDetroit
Bike Happy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with the others that panniers are the best solution for realy heavy loads, but a backpack still could work for you.

You need to examine your pack the same way an ultralight hiker does.
  1. The best weight savings result from uneeded items left behind. Pare the notebook down to a minimum configuration, no extra batteries, external mouse and pad, CDs, documentation, and other miscellaneous geegaws and doodads.
  2. Travel only with with the books and papers you will use that day. Ultralight hikers actually cut paperbacks in half and mail them ahead to avoid carrying a whole paperback novel.
  3. If you can't leave an item behind, then make it due double duty and perform two functions. For example, it makes no sense to carry cotton T-shirts to wear under casual school or business wear. Wear wicking fabric T-shirts that can double as layer 1 items on a ride. Do you carry a flashlight or multitool in your pack ? Use one that can double as a bike headlight, or bike multitool. Don't use an insulated lunch bag, use a plastic grocery store bag. It is lighter and easier to pack. It also doubles as a way to keep items you carry home dry.
  4. For those things that you must bring that have only one function, Try to choose the lightest version available. Don't use bulky three ring binders. Try to use folders with pockets. If you must carry shoes for work or school, find the lightest most packable ones. Replace bulky sweaters with well insulating, thin layer 1 stuff (Lycra, polyester, neoprene, are good choices).
  5. You don't mention your pack, but there are some features that help. Mesh pockets on the sides, and a bungee cord to hold a thin rainjacket/windbreaker. A collar can sometimes help with overflow items. Daisy chain loops, a small pouch on the waistbelt can hold keys, money, etc for easy access.

Dan
Old 03-24-04, 09:17 AM
mhill251
New Commuter

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all for all of this information, I will go the route of panniers and rack.
Old 03-24-04, 12:00 PM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Use the threaded eyelets on your frame for attaching the rack.
You can use only one pannier, the bike will still handle OK, even with heavier loads.
Get some tough pannier bags, they take a lot of abuse. I prefer a flap to a zip, zips are always a weak spot. I avoid too many pockets and dividers. One external pocket is sufficent. An extendable collar is useful if you want to stop off and get some shopping.
I use the Carradice cotton canvas type of bag. Mine have take 2 slides along the road, which would have totally destroyed a nylon bag with friction burns. Nylon bags loose their water-repellant coating after a year or so. The better quality Cordura are OK, but avoid flimsy material. Look for good, light stiffening material, esp in the base. Carradice use corrugated plastic.
A heel cutout will avoid your heel hitting the bag, a useful feature for big riders or tight frames.
Make sure you get a good , quick-release fitting system. Those metal hooks on bits of elastic went out with flared trousers (eek flares are back!!). Modern fittings, like Rixen and Kaul, use a large "door-handle" shaped hook to slide inside the rack legs at the bottom, and a system of hooks with lock on the top. They should take less than 5 secs to fit or relase.
Old 03-24-04, 12:01 PM
SchreiberBike
One knee is enough

Bikes: 1978 Fuji - now fixed and pegged. 1980s Cannondale Touring - pegged with 18 speeds. 2001 Cannondale CADD 3 - not being ridden

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lots of good advice above. I would add that you might want to consider a saddle bag (https://www.carradice.co.uk/pictures/...-long-flap.jpg). That puts your laptop in a much more protected place on the bike if you go down.
Old 03-24-04, 12:58 PM
Zin
On your what?!?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Juha
Rack and panniers here, too. <snip>--J
DITTO!
Proud member of Colorado's Best Cycling Club - Club Hypoxia
Old 03-24-04, 01:04 PM
Wasatch_commute

Bikes: Novara Safari

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris L
Get two panniers. They can not only carry more, but will place less strain on your back and shoulders than a backpack, and will be much better in warmer conditions. Also remember to get a rack that mounts to your frame and not to your seatpost. This is vitally important, because any weight placed on a seatpost mounted rack will leave you with a lot of riding "out of the saddle".
I was planning to buy Topeak MTX seatpost rack to carry a trunk bag, could you elaborate on the disadvantages of seatpost mounted racks? Also, I'm concerned about the quick release feature of the Topeak MTX rack because of the theft risk. Thanks.
Old 03-24-04, 01:29 PM
ridealot
Cyclist and village idiot

Bikes: 2005 Gary Fisher Nirvana S 2001 Trek 2200 1999 Schwinn Mesa 1989 Mangussa?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MERTON
why don't they make rack bags that can be used as back packs? and man! them dang jandd's cost more than my bike will!

edit. book bags are much cheaper (i am actually happy to see that)
This may be something for you to look into, it is a backpack and a pannier.

https://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=
Old 03-24-04, 01:33 PM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Seatpost rack faults. mm where to start.
1. Hold a full bag by its handle.
Now hold it at the end of a 18" pole. Note the difference.
2. Seatposts are designed to be loaded along their axis, not yanked sideways by a weight cantelevered on the end of a pole.
3. Seatpost racks need massive clamps, so weight more than a Blackburn style traditional rack.
4. Seatpost racks are rated for very small loads. Even the lightest trad rack (Tubus fly) is rated for double any seatpost rack.

A Carradice style 20l saddlebag is a far more efficient way of carrying a small load than a seat-post style, even if you factor in a Brooks B17 saddle, against a lightweight model. NB The Brooks has built-in bag loops that can carry a massive load.

Compare the total weight of the system (rack+bag) /capacity. Im no weight weanie, but dragging excess metal around is not my idea of fun.

If you are looking at getting a commuter bike, then it is plain stupid to get one without capability to fit a luggage rack, even if you choose not to use one.
Old 03-24-04, 01:56 PM
Daily Commute
Ride the Road

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check; hard tail MTB

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MERTON
just what i was wanting!

is it alright to ride with just one pannier? will i fall over?

now i just need to find a good deal on a tubus cargo, cosmos or Jandd Expedition.

that jandd only hold 50 lbs. i don't plan to carry more than that but i would like more strenght just for the safety. any thoughts?

i'll have to go with tubus (90lbs/40kgs). either the cargo or expedition. any place for good deals?
You can ride with just one pannier for light loads, but I wouldn't want to do it with heavy loads. Most decent racks are only rated for 50lbs (or less), so having two panniers with 50lbs capacity still gives you more than 2x what your rack will hold (and a lot more than you want to carry). I have used the Jandd's for six months now, through rain, snow and salt. I tend to break things quickly, but I have had no quality problems with the Jandds.
Old 03-24-04, 09:32 PM
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Wasatch_commute
I was planning to buy Topeak MTX seatpost rack to carry a trunk bag, could you elaborate on the disadvantages of seatpost mounted racks? Also, I'm concerned about the quick release feature of the Topeak MTX rack because of the theft risk. Thanks.
In 2001 I had a 30km ride home without a seat because it broke my seatpost. Attaching any weight at all to the rack it will put strain on the seatpost literally every bump you hit. I think most of those things come with a warning along the lines of "do not put more than 5kg on this rack" for that every reason. And yes, there is also a theft risk with the quick release feature. You're better off getting a rack that mounts to your frame.

That is all.
Old 03-25-04, 01:20 PM
Wasatch_commute

Bikes: Novara Safari

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you guys for your advice on the racks. I'm not buying the seatpost mounted one anymore. Ordering a frame-mounted topeak rack right now.
Old 03-25-04, 03:04 PM
MI_rider
Go Yankees

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Trek 2300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I commuted with my laptop 3 or 4 days a week last year. My commute was 32 miles
round trip. You will be glad you are getting a rack and panniers. I tried it a few times
with just a backpack and I was much more fatigued. I wish I could commute this year
but our office moved and I am just too far away.

If you have a docking station at work you can get away with just carrying the laptop
and not all of the extra stuff like power cords and extra batteries. Taking just the
laptop, and leaving all the extra stuff including the case saves a lot of weight.
If you are taking a towel or change of clothes, wrapping your laptop in them helps
to protect it. I always put my shoes or something on the outside of the laptop so that
if I went down the laptop would not hit the ground.

You also need to make sure you have it something so when it rains (and you will get
caught in it) the laptop doesn't get soaked. I used Arkel Samurai panniers becuase
they are waterproof, they hold everthing tight so the laptop doesn't bounce, and they
have a hard outer shell to protect your stuff and the waterproof bags.

Good luck with the commute.
Old 03-25-04, 04:26 PM
Urbanmonk
Sarcastic Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What would you recommend for durable, "waterproof," light weight, panniers? Should I get saddlebags, travel bag, etc? I have a Topeak rack, frame mounted. I have never used panniers, but after reading this thread, I think this would make my daily commuting much more efficient and comfortable; I use a pack now, but summer is coming. Thanks!
Old 03-26-04, 03:47 AM
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
If you need truly waterproof panniers for commuting, Ortlieb or other panniers with roll-up closing system are the way to go. They can be used as dry-sacks in kayaking, too, so they are really waterproof. However, they can be problematic when touring in humid conditions. Any wet stuff you put in them will stay wet, because there's no ventilation at all.

--J

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 03-26-04, 03:49 AM
K6-III

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ridealot
This may be something for you to look into, it is a backpack and a pannier.

https://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=
Another company that makes panniers convertible to a backpack is PanPack. Check them out at www.panpack.com

They make their stuff in Canada, and all prices are in Canadian Dollars.