Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

commuting to college.

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

commuting to college.

Old 09-04-07, 11:24 AM
thefatbiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
commuting to college.

I started commuting to college this semester, its about 12 miles there and back. my question is, I have been using the same back pack that I had since 5th grade, (so about 8 years) and I need to up grade. I have been looking at panniers because, I have to bring my text books and my laptop. so i am looking for a good way of taking the weight off my back. I've been looking for a pannier that would convert to a messenger bag or something, that can be carried around campus after parking the bike.

thanks
Old 09-04-07, 11:44 AM
b_young
Support JDRF

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Try this https://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=9036

go to the live chat and ask if it has room for a laptop plus books
Old 09-04-07, 11:55 AM
BeTheChange
Climb on my trusty steed

Bikes: trek 520, specialized stumpjumper pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.arkel-od.com/panniers/bac...asp?fl=1&site=

I've been commuting to undergrad then grad with these for 4 years now. It used to be a 10 mile one-way trip for me but now I moved into town. It works great and converting it to a backpack is very quick and easy. All Arkel stuff is very durable and this is no exception.

Locking on a grocery pannier to the other side of your rack works for me quite well for keeping a bungie net, lock, tools, and just crap in.

https://www.arkel-od.com/panniers/uti...asp?fl=1&site=

Also, most schools have lockers and showers in convenient places.

Good luck and happy commuting!
Old 09-04-07, 12:25 PM
lil brown bat

Bikes: 1 road, 1 Urban Assault Vehicle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BeTheChange
Also, most schools have lockers and showers in convenient places.
Most high schools do. Most colleges don't.

To OP, don't get panniers that don't convert. Remember that you're going to have to park your bike and then lug your luggage. Make sure that it converts into something that you can easily carry whatever distance you have to walk.

Also, I wouldn't judge all backpacks by your fifth-grade bookbag. I ride with a Swiss Gear laptop bag, which I prefer to panniers. A backpack isn't great if you absolutely have to lug a ton of books as well as a laptop, but OTOH if you can keep it to one or two books plus laptop, it's not so bad.
Old 09-04-07, 12:53 PM
rocks in head 
...addicted...

Bikes: 1985 Alpine, 2007 IRO Rob Roy, 1985 Ross Mt. Whitney, 1991 Diamondback Master TG

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
I have the Nashbar thingy for taking my laptop + work stuff to work. I like the easy take-off the bike thing and the backpack is reasonably comfortable (I don't have far to go), and it's waterproof, for $30 (which is what I paid for it) it's not a bad deal, and certainly worth trying.
That said, I knocked it with my heel the first time I put it on my bike and it flew off, knocked into my spokes, and the zipper came apart, seperating the pannier into a backpack while traveling. I was not happy, especially when it happened again about 10 mintues later, but I've learned how to position it so that heel-strike isn't such an issue and I keep an eye out for potholes.
I like my panniers 100% and would have to try something really REALLY nice to get me to go back to carrying stuff on my back.
Old 09-04-07, 01:20 PM
lil brown bat

Bikes: 1 road, 1 Urban Assault Vehicle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rocks in head
That said, I knocked it with my heel the first time I put it on my bike and it flew off, knocked into my spokes, and the zipper came apart, seperating the pannier into a backpack while traveling. I was not happy, especially when it happened again about 10 mintues later, but I've learned how to position it so that heel-strike isn't such an issue and I keep an eye out for potholes.
This is why I hate panniers. I can't do anything about the state of the roads I commute on, and I can't afford for my laptop to go bouncing off the bike once or twice a trip.
Old 09-04-07, 06:03 PM
thefatbiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses i like the Arkel stuff but is it worth the price? particularly for a college student.
Old 09-04-07, 06:16 PM
bhchdh 

Bikes: '07 Trek 520, '09 Gary Fisher Triton, '04 Trek 8000, '85 Trek 500, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 510, '88 Trek 660, '92 Trek 930, Trek Multitrack 700

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by thefatbiker
Thanks for the responses i like the Arkel stuff but is it worth the price? particularly for a college student.
You should always buy the best product you can, in the long run you will save money.
Old 09-04-07, 06:31 PM
Frankenbiker
Slow ride, take it easy -

Location: Corn, corn, corn, corn, corn, corn, soybean, corn fields of Illinois

Bikes: 98 Mongoose Cambridge with Xtracycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Speaking of lockers,

We can check out half-lockers in the men's locker room at the gym on campus to store our athletic gear for the semester. There are so many half lockers that I could probably check out two of them and store books and stuff in one as well as stinky running clothes/towels in another above it and effectively have a full size locker. You might check to see if something like that is available where you go to school. I use a normal backpack carried in my Xtracycle for carrying stuff (books, laptop, etcetera) back and forth from home to school.

Backpacks get far more daily mileage in college than in gradeschool/highschool. They usually lasted about a year before wearing out until I bought a heavy-duty one that has survived for several years so far.

Last edited by Frankenbiker; 09-04-07 at 06:40 PM.
Old 09-04-07, 07:07 PM
discosaurus
i like mud

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX WSD, beaters

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In a word, yes. I loved my Arkel Bug when my commute was longer and I didn't want anything on my back. It still looks brand new, and there is no noticeable wear along the zippers or seams.

But my commute is now only 0.8 miles so I just ride with a ****ty small messenger bag. It rocks. I hardly use the Bug anymore, except for grocery shopping and beer runs. BUT I plan to use it to buy a watermelon next week at the farmer's market.
Old 09-04-07, 08:53 PM
nitropowered

Bikes: Custom Custom Custom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When it comes to stuff like this, its all worth the money. Buy the best money can buy (w/o going into the luxury realm), because it will pay off in the long run. Even if it means holding off for a few paychecks or eating pb&j and ramen (I'm guilty of that as a college student with a bike fix)
Old 09-08-07, 06:58 PM
stiber
Aspiring commuter

Bikes: Raleigh R300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Make sure whatever pannier you get clips onto the rack securely --- no bungee type securing.
Old 09-08-07, 07:43 PM
h2o_polo_boi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been looking for a pannier that would convert to a messenger bag or something, that can be carried around campus after parking the bike.
$50 https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true

Old 09-09-07, 03:33 AM
ken cummings

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Be careful about buying low end stuff just because you were getting a deal. My Nashbar MTB bags have lost a shock cord and had a hand strap pull loose in a few months of my intense use. If you need to carry more then a few books look into heavily reinforced equipment.