Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Best place to purchase Bike Bearings?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-15, 10:59 AM
banana rat

Bikes: Kent La jolla

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Still putting my spare parts inventory together and I need to pick up assorted replacement bearings for my new Kent La Jolla and wondering if there are quality differences and need recommendations on a good place to buy these bearings?
Old 10-22-15, 11:24 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
I would not worry about it Grade 25 are considered premium but Grade 100 is sufficient. For one bike I think the bike shop or mail order is sufficient.
Old 10-22-15, 11:32 AM
chriskmurray

Bikes: Borealis Echo, Ground Up Designs Ti Cross bike, Xtracycle, GT mod trials bike, pixie race machine

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
REAL WORLD CYCLING AFTERMARKET COMPONENTS, BEARINGS, & SEALS These guys have nearly every bearing you could imagine for bikes and make a great quality product as well.
Old 10-22-15, 11:35 AM
SlowJoeCrow

Bikes: Redline Conquest Pro, Kona Cinder Cone, Trek Fuel EX8(RIP) Pivot Mach 5 frankenbike

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Bike shops usually stock some common loose ball bearings and sealed bearings. If not, Biketools etc. and Universal Cycles have had what I have needed. Also good grease and regular servicing greatly reduces the need for new bearings.
Old 10-22-15, 11:36 AM
JamesRL

Bikes: Fiori Roma, Currently building a Bianchi, Trek 330, formerly Monshee Nomad, Favorit, Bianchi Sport SX, Frankenbike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think first you want to identify which bearings you need.

I would expect that the hubs and bottom bracket are likely sealed cartridges. When the bearings wear out you replace the whole unit.

If the bike is new, I wouldn't be concerned about getting spares for that. It is good to have spare tubes and tires of course.
Old 10-22-15, 11:40 AM
CafeVelo

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac, Nashbar CX, Trek 2200 trainer bike, Salsa Casseroll commuter, old school FS MTB

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My local performance has a huge selection of bearings and other small parts for about $.05 each.
Old 10-22-15, 11:44 AM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by banana rat
Still putting my spare parts inventory together and I need to pick up assorted replacement bearings for my new Kent La Jolla and wondering if there are quality differences and need recommendations on a good place to buy these bearings?
Easy! Just compile a detailed list of every bearing you think you want and post it to the Personal Shopping Service forum. Done.
Old 10-22-15, 11:48 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I, Physically, went to an Industrial Bearing and Fastener supply store .. you get bearing balls in bags of 1000.

On An island .. Try the Marine Repair Supply shops that keep the Fishing Boats running. ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-22-15 at 12:18 PM.
Old 10-23-15, 10:30 PM
ModeratedUser
Banned

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by banana rat
Hello banana rat,

I had this place recommended to me from a LBS as I was looking for bearings too. I've ended up getting quite a few bearings from this place since then. They usually sell the bearings in 100 per bag, but it's so cheap that I ended up just having surplus of many different sizes. The place is called Grainger, Grainger Industrial Supply - MRO Products, Equipment & Tools. I tend to go with bearings that have the smallest diameter tolerance as the parts aren't really spinning that fast. Having a tolerance to corrosion is a plus. Basically they have quite a range of bearings.

Good luck on what you find.
Old 10-24-15, 01:17 AM
banana rat

Bikes: Kent La jolla

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I got my bike today, went thru everything, adjusted greased, bottom bracket, headset, front and rear hubs. Everything was tight and barely greased just like ya'll said it would be. I thought the headset was cross threaded because I had to use a cheater to break it loose. Most all bearing looked just slightly larger than a BB. My front wheel is got something going on and it's pretty wobbly, I'm gonna try a new tire tomorrow and if that doesn't do it I'm thinking it's the wheel. I checked the proper tightness on the bearings twice and it's good.
Old 10-24-15, 09:04 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
You done good checking out the condition of everything and adjusting/adding grease as needed (I assume). Proactive maintenance will minimize problems (and the need for new bearings) down the road.
Is the front wheel true? Should be easy to tell with tire off. How are your truing skills?
Old 10-25-15, 10:33 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,399 Times in 2,058 Posts
You're in the Marshall islands? If there isn't a local "industrial supplier" as said, look near the port where people fix boats, I'd next look into
Australian (or whatever country the mail comes out of) bearing or industrial supply houses. 1/4", 3/16", 5/32",possibly 1/8" bearing balls in Gr 25 or 100 are usually readily available from them in quantities of around 100 and are small and light enough to mail order easily. In general on a bike the smaller the diameter of the ball the more are used. A headset may use >40 5/32" and a wheel <20 3/16". They can also be had on Amazon or Ebay. US sources are "Motion industries", "McMaster-Carr", "Boca bearing" among many others.