Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

New bike checkup? after breakin period

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 10-22-15, 11:03 AM
consoleman

Bikes: In progress

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys,
I just bought my bike 2 weeks (86 miles) ago. The LBS told me to bring it in after my 30 days to have it inspected and adjusted if needed.

I have read if your a clydesdale to have them tension, true and stress relieve the rear wheel. Also, have them increase the spoke tension as much as they are comfortaorable to do. After how many miles should I do this at?

BTW here she is: Thanks for all the advice i got from everyone on this forum!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0164.jpg (66.8 KB, 28 views)
Old 10-22-15, 11:17 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
It's unlikely that they'll do anything to the wheels other than check to see if they're true. They'll also go over your bolts and make sure you dn't have anything wiggling loose and check the derailleur settings to account for the cables settling in. a 200 mile checkup is pretty mild.
Old 10-22-15, 11:44 AM
chriskmurray

Bikes: Borealis Echo, Ground Up Designs Ti Cross bike, Xtracycle, GT mod trials bike, pixie race machine

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I would not ask them to just automatically increase the spoke tension but rather ask them to check to make sure it is at the proper tension as every now and then you will get an OE wheel that is actually to spec (but not often). Too much tension can cause as much trouble as under tensioned. When you drop it off just make it a point to ask them to double check and retension and stress relieve both wheels if needed and if you would feel better you could even ask them to show you the spoke tension on the gauge after you pick the bike up to verify they actually did it but a trust worthy shop would not try to cut corners here.
Old 10-22-15, 02:36 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
The best time to get new wheels tensioned correctly and stress relieved is right now.

Most LBS don't check spoke tension as part of a 30 day checkup, or as part of a new bike build and delivery. I'd venture to say that many, if not a majority, bike mechanics don't know how to do it correctly.

Good luck!
Old 10-23-15, 06:19 AM
consoleman

Bikes: In progress

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Should i get them to stress relieve and re tension both wheels or just the rear wheel? I ask because they are probably going to charge me since this may not be considered a adjustment.
Old 10-23-15, 06:26 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,290 Times in 7,228 Posts
Originally Posted by consoleman
Should i get them to stress relieve and re tension both wheels or just the rear wheel? I ask because they are probably going to charge me since this may not be considered a adjustment.
Putting aside the fact that they should have done this from the git-go, don't be penny-wise and pound foolish. Ask them to check (You seem to be under the impression that the wheels will definitely need retensioning, but that might not be the case.) both and make any necessary adjustments.
Old 10-23-15, 11:10 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
After breakin is electric boogaloo.