Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXV

Notices
Road Cycling It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle. -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXV

Old 09-12-19, 06:55 AM
  #3526  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 29,989

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 336 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13087 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,344 Posts
Yay! FedEx un-lost my last Rapha order (another sweater). It was supposed to be delivered yesterday, but was somehow misplaced between St Paul and Minneapolis.
WhyFi is online now  
Old 09-12-19, 06:55 AM
  #3527  
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chittenango, NY
Posts: 48,071

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7756 Post(s)
Liked 693 Times in 449 Posts
Originally Posted by sbxx1985 View Post
I don't eat beets, but doesn't it make your pee red? That's weird.
ditto
__________________
Originally Posted by Heathpack View Post
Amateur bike racing is just a fun thing, as far as I know, there's no penalty for not winning.
rjones28 is online now  
Old 09-12-19, 06:56 AM
  #3528  
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chittenango, NY
Posts: 48,071

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7756 Post(s)
Liked 693 Times in 449 Posts
And they taste like dirt.
__________________
Originally Posted by Heathpack View Post
Amateur bike racing is just a fun thing, as far as I know, there's no penalty for not winning.
rjones28 is online now  
Old 09-12-19, 06:58 AM
  #3529  
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chittenango, NY
Posts: 48,071

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7756 Post(s)
Liked 693 Times in 449 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize View Post
3 months ago I deleted my fb account. Yesterday it was Strava. Today BF. Vayan con dios
What about Twitter?
__________________
Originally Posted by Heathpack View Post
Amateur bike racing is just a fun thing, as far as I know, there's no penalty for not winning.
rjones28 is online now  
Old 09-12-19, 07:00 AM
  #3530  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 29,989

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 336 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13087 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,344 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
No mercy
WhyFi is online now  
Old 09-12-19, 07:00 AM
  #3531  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 29,989

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 336 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13087 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,344 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
And they taste like dirt.
If they didn't taste like dirt, I'd eat them more often, too.
WhyFi is online now  
Old 09-12-19, 07:27 AM
  #3532  
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chittenango, NY
Posts: 48,071

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7756 Post(s)
Liked 693 Times in 449 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
If they didn't taste like dirt, I'd eat them more often, too.
I will eat them from time-to-time, when Mrs. rjones28 roasts or grills them. They taste less like dirt then.
__________________
Originally Posted by Heathpack View Post
Amateur bike racing is just a fun thing, as far as I know, there's no penalty for not winning.
rjones28 is online now  
Old 09-12-19, 07:39 AM
  #3533  
Trsnrtr
Super Moderator
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 18,654

Bikes: Giant Propel, Gianni Motta, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX, Garneau Steeple X

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7429 Post(s)
Liked 819 Times in 444 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
What about Twitter?
What about the Strava Addiction Club?
__________________
Dennis T

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I can't believe the ignorance out there. - An Anonymous Addictionite.

Trsnrtr is offline  
Old 09-12-19, 07:45 AM
  #3534  
MoAlpha
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 5,913

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3965 Post(s)
Liked 1,362 Times in 765 Posts


Spent the night in Baby Owl Cove off a creek off the Choptank River. Tonight may be a bit boisterous, so well probably get a slip in Oxford, MD for better sleep. Tomorrow, probably head for Solomons, MD.

Beets only in a good salad with, like, walnuts and goat cheese or borscht with enough meaty flavor to neutralize the beatiness.
MoAlpha is online now  
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 09-12-19, 07:50 AM
  #3535  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 26,993
Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11411 Post(s)
Liked 3,049 Times in 1,696 Posts

The fog of tour. Saw my second bald eagle yesterday evening.
indyfabz is offline  
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-12-19, 08:22 AM
  #3536  
BillyD
Administrator
Thread Starter
 
BillyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 27,626

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 294 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7696 Post(s)
Liked 1,098 Times in 637 Posts
I love beets, they are so nutritious it's worth the minor effort to learn how to prepare them right. Personally I've never experienced the 'dirt' taste. I might suggest peeling them, slicing thin, and boiling them with a little vinegar in the water which is how I've always fixed them. Mrs BD roasts them which tastes even better, but I don't know the details.
__________________
See, this is why we can't have nice things. - - smarkinson
Where else but the internet can a bunch of cyclists go and be the tough guy? - - jdon
BillyD is offline  
Old 09-12-19, 08:25 AM
  #3537  
MoAlpha
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 5,913

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3965 Post(s)
Liked 1,362 Times in 765 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize View Post
3 months ago I deleted my fb account. Yesterday it was Strava. Today BF. Vayan con dios
Well miss you, seedy!
MoAlpha is online now  
Old 09-12-19, 08:47 AM
  #3538  
ksryder
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,282

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1048 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Chicken.

They do have them available at the sale price in red, too.
I love pink cycling gear. It looks great.

Furthermore, I have no patience for any kind of insecure toxic masculinity "herp derp men shuldn't wear pink herp derp!" BS. I'm a combat veteran, I have nothing to prove, but also you don't have to be a combat veteran to know that's ridiculous and antiquated in the year of our lord two thousand and nineteen.

Also pink was considered a masculine color up until the 30s when the advertisers got their hands on it.

(Wedding rings for men weren't really a thing until around then, either, but I knew better than to try to advocate that particular position with my wife. Also, I kind of like my ring. It's tungsten, for durability.)
ksryder is offline  
Old 09-12-19, 08:56 AM
  #3539  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 29,989

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 336 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13087 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,344 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder View Post
I love pink cycling gear. It looks great.

Furthermore, I have no patience for any kind of insecure toxic masculinity "herp derp men shuldn't wear pink herp derp!" BS. I'm a combat veteran, I have nothing to prove, but also you don't have to be a combat veteran to know that's ridiculous and antiquated in the year of our lord two thousand and nineteen.

Also pink was considered a masculine color up until the 30s when the advertisers got their hands on it.

(Wedding rings for men weren't really a thing until around then, either, but I knew better than to try to advocate that particular position with my wife. Also, I kind of like my ring. It's tungsten, for durability.)
I got mostly admiring looks yesterday, primarily from women, and one long, perplexed look from a guy.

My wedding ring is Ti for... future retro-grouchery?
WhyFi is online now  
Old 09-12-19, 09:11 AM
  #3540  
MoAlpha
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 5,913

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3965 Post(s)
Liked 1,362 Times in 765 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
I got mostly admiring looks yesterday, primarily from women, and one long, perplexed look from a guy.

My wedding ring is Ti for... future retro-grouchery?
I wear a silicone ring for safety. As for pink...
MoAlpha is online now  
Old 09-12-19, 09:14 AM
  #3541  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 29,989

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 336 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13087 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,344 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
Silicone for safety!
I've been thinking about picking up a silicone ring. I don't wear the Ti as often as I should because it's getting to be too loose and it's rather unyielding - in addition to the possibility of losing it from falling off, I can see a Jimmy Fallon-type accident happening with it.
WhyFi is online now  
Old 09-12-19, 09:19 AM
  #3542  
MoAlpha
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 5,913

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3965 Post(s)
Liked 1,362 Times in 765 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
I've been thinking about picking up a silicone ring. I don't wear the Ti as often as I should because it's getting to be too loose and it's rather unyielding - in addition to the possibility of losing it from falling off, I can see a Jimmy Fallon-type accident happening with it.
Im too accident prone and have cut too many rings off people in danger of losing fingers to wear a metal ring when working or playing with big loads.
MoAlpha is online now  
Old 09-12-19, 09:29 AM
  #3543  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 32,422

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 456 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12319 Post(s)
Liked 1,483 Times in 797 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
Im too accident prone and have cut too many rings off people in danger of losing fingers to wear a metal ring when working or playing with big loads.
In medical school, the hand specialist who lectured us on hand problems and surgeries made it clear he will never wear a ring. I don't think silicone rings were a thing back then.

That said, I do wear a Ti wedding band. It's low risk IMO.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 09-12-19, 09:34 AM
  #3544  
ksryder
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,282

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1048 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
I've been thinking about picking up a silicone ring. I don't wear the Ti as often as I should because it's getting to be too loose and it's rather unyielding - in addition to the possibility of losing it from falling off, I can see a Jimmy Fallon-type accident happening with it.
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
Im too accident prone and have cut too many rings off people in danger of losing fingers to wear a metal ring when working or playing with big loads.
I don't wear my ring when riding any more after almost losing it. I've lost a bit of weight since I got married so it can be a little loose on my finger, especially at the end of a ride where I've been sweating. For a while I had a chain that I would put it on, but then the chain broke so I was just wearing it like normal on rides.

A couple years ago I got home from a ride and my ring was missing. I tore the house apart looking for it, because I couldn't remember if I'd been wearing it on the ride or not. I absolutely could not find it.

The next morning I was thinking about it and I remembered that, about a mile from my house, I had been shaking my hand after wiping my nose following a somewhat unsuccessful snot rocket. On a hunch I went back to that street near my house and walked up and down the street for a few minutes, without much hope. I didn't see anything, so I just resigned myself to the fact that I'd lost my ring and started walking back to the car.

At the last second I happened to glance down and there was my ring, sitting there in the middle of the street. It had been there all night, evidently.

So now I make sure I take my ring off when I ride.

Interestingly, throughout this whole ordeal, my wife was a lot more calm and pragmatic about it than I was. At least, I hope it was pragmatism and not apathy.
ksryder is offline  
Old 09-12-19, 10:53 AM
  #3545  
MoAlpha
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 5,913

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3965 Post(s)
Liked 1,362 Times in 765 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder View Post
I don't wear my ring when riding any more after almost losing it. I've lost a bit of weight since I got married so it can be a little loose on my finger, especially at the end of a ride where I've been sweating. For a while I had a chain that I would put it on, but then the chain broke so I was just wearing it like normal on rides.

A couple years ago I got home from a ride and my ring was missing. I tore the house apart looking for it, because I couldn't remember if I'd been wearing it on the ride or not. I absolutely could not find it.

The next morning I was thinking about it and I remembered that, about a mile from my house, I had been shaking my hand after wiping my nose following a somewhat unsuccessful snot rocket. On a hunch I went back to that street near my house and walked up and down the street for a few minutes, without much hope. I didn't see anything, so I just resigned myself to the fact that I'd lost my ring and started walking back to the car.

At the last second I happened to glance down and there was my ring, sitting there in the middle of the street. It had been there all night, evidently.

So now I make sure I take my ring off when I ride.

Interestingly, throughout this whole ordeal, my wife was a lot more calm and pragmatic about it than I was. At least, I hope it was pragmatism and not apathy.
Not the end of the world or the marriage. My wifes beautiful and expensive wedding and engagement rings lie on the bottom of the Caribbean off Antigua. She replaced them with cheaper jewelry and now wears silicone too.
MoAlpha is online now  
Old 09-12-19, 11:06 AM
  #3546  
sbxx1985 
Senior Member
 
sbxx1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 12,684
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1725 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 150 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder View Post
I don't wear my ring when riding any more after almost losing it. I've lost a bit of weight since I got married so it can be a little loose on my finger, especially at the end of a ride where I've been sweating. For a while I had a chain that I would put it on, but then the chain broke so I was just wearing it like normal on rides.

A couple years ago I got home from a ride and my ring was missing. I tore the house apart looking for it, because I couldn't remember if I'd been wearing it on the ride or not. I absolutely could not find it.

The next morning I was thinking about it and I remembered that, about a mile from my house, I had been shaking my hand after wiping my nose following a somewhat unsuccessful snot rocket. On a hunch I went back to that street near my house and walked up and down the street for a few minutes, without much hope. I didn't see anything, so I just resigned myself to the fact that I'd lost my ring and started walking back to the car.

At the last second I happened to glance down and there was my ring, sitting there in the middle of the street. It had been there all night, evidently.

So now I make sure I take my ring off when I ride.

Interestingly, throughout this whole ordeal, my wife was a lot more calm and pragmatic about it than I was. At least, I hope it was pragmatism and not apathy.
Good story. I have the same one, but it involved a bar rooftop deck and my ring falling off while I was playing with it. I showed up the next morning with my drill and miraculously found it and fished it out of the floor. My wife also was more calm than I and was there when it fell. I never take it off now.

I can't do pink. Our team kit moved towards more and more pink and I think it looked silly. I couldn't say anything because the head of the team loved pink, it was his idea, and he's a nice guy. I did love hot pink when I wore Ocean Pacific stuff.
sbxx1985 is offline  
Old 09-12-19, 11:08 AM
  #3547  
sbxx1985 
Senior Member
 
sbxx1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 12,684
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1725 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 150 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
Not the end of the world or the marriage. My wifes beautiful and expensive wedding and engagement rings lie on the bottom of the Caribbean off Antigua. She replaced them with cheaper jewelry and now wears silicone too.
And pocketed the insurance money to buy a new sail?
sbxx1985 is offline  
Old 09-12-19, 11:12 AM
  #3548  
sbxx1985 
Senior Member
 
sbxx1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 12,684
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1725 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 150 Times in 97 Posts
I've found it more effective, if BF needs to go, to just leave. Come back or not. Addiction is a welcoming place.
sbxx1985 is offline  
Likes For sbxx1985:
Old 09-12-19, 11:23 AM
  #3549  
MoAlpha
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 5,913

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3965 Post(s)
Liked 1,362 Times in 765 Posts
Originally Posted by sbxx1985 View Post
And pocketed the insurance money to buy a new sail?
Where were you when I needed you, man? Actually, I think they may have required a rider, which we didnt have.
MoAlpha is online now  
Old 09-12-19, 11:25 AM
  #3550  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 29,989

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 336 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13087 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,344 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder View Post
I don't wear my ring when riding any more after almost losing it. I've lost a bit of weight since I got married so it can be a little loose on my finger, especially at the end of a ride where I've been sweating. For a while I had a chain that I would put it on, but then the chain broke so I was just wearing it like normal on rides.

A couple years ago I got home from a ride and my ring was missing. I tore the house apart looking for it, because I couldn't remember if I'd been wearing it on the ride or not. I absolutely could not find it.

The next morning I was thinking about it and I remembered that, about a mile from my house, I had been shaking my hand after wiping my nose following a somewhat unsuccessful snot rocket. On a hunch I went back to that street near my house and walked up and down the street for a few minutes, without much hope. I didn't see anything, so I just resigned myself to the fact that I'd lost my ring and started walking back to the car.

At the last second I happened to glance down and there was my ring, sitting there in the middle of the street. It had been there all night, evidently.

So now I make sure I take my ring off when I ride.

Interestingly, throughout this whole ordeal, my wife was a lot more calm and pragmatic about it than I was. At least, I hope it was pragmatism and not apathy.
Nice. I've lost my ring a couple times in my 15 years of marriage.

Once, it was gone for more than a year. I had long given up hope of finding it when I felt it in the antiquated little watch pocket of the jeans that I was wearing. It was then that I remembered "discovering" those pockets, thought that they'd be a nice, secure place to temporarily stash my ring, and then promptly forgot all about it.

The other time, it spent months on a nail that was pounded in to an outside panel of one of the cupboards, just around the corner and out of our typical line-of-sight. As with the pocket incident, I had taken the ring off (presumably while cooking), stashed it someplace safe and forgot about it. Since finding it, the nail has become referred to as the "Ring Nail" and both my wife and I use it for our rings when we're cooking or cleaning in the kitchen.
WhyFi is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.