Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Flying Pigeon - good looking $80 bicycles

Search
Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-19, 05:37 AM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 258 Posts

The purple and white Flying Pigeon is a very nice looking bicycle. At $80, you probably do not expect much, but having only just seen the listing and only based
on the photos depicting it, the paint color looks nice enough. I have never seen in person but in my opinion, the paint color looks good enough. I don't know
how durable it would be in stock form, but it is a simple bicycle, so it would be easy to improve something if that is actually needed.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-FLYING-...trkparms=aid%:
(#133256047009 on the bay - new $79.90 free ship FLYING PIGEON bike )

There is a really low cost multi-speed (18 speed) PACIFIC Evolution that is also about $80 (actually $82.99 free ship...#293295543602 on the bay)
Unlike the Flying Pigeon, this PACIFIC Evolution has the old timey ONE PIECE CRANK and 3 x six gears at rear for 18 speeds. This Pacific Evolution is very
much like your economy- Kmart/Walmart mountain bike from the 1980's. Still the simplicity of it and the $82.99 cost will provide decent value for little cash.
Install those KENDA K-838 slick tires (see #254420545477 on the bay......they were $14.41 each for 26 x 1.95 Kenda K-838 tire for street)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Pacific...aid%3D55018%26

Lets start a discussion on obviously the lowest priced new bicycles on the market. Bicycles are not that complex in their most basic forms.
The Chinese had decades of experience with bicycles as their main form of transportation before Nixon's visit nearly fifty years ago.
I have no doubt that these will perform the basic function of a bicycle, even if they don't equal the build quality of the Raleighs and Schwinns,Columbias,
Amf's, Huffys,Murrays, Ross's, and other SEARS & Kmart specials that were all cruisin around on during Nixon's first term before the break-in.
Old 12-05-19, 07:39 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
I wonder how those sellers can sell a bike with free shipping for around $80.00?

$80.00 is in range of normal bicycle shipping costs on eBay.

It would seem these bikes are basically given away for free, just pay shipping. Chinese dumping into the bicycle market?

Last edited by FiftySix; 12-05-19 at 07:55 AM.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 12-08-19, 11:01 PM
JehD

Bikes: 1981 Bertin C34 - 2020 Electra Cruiser 7D - 2021 Mongoose Dolomite ALX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 86 Posts
Kirby picked up a Schwinn Swindler for $80 and his review seemed less than stellar. Just reading the add it sounds worse than the normal BSO found at a Walmart and with the recent customer service experience I had with Huffy If I was in the market I would probably pickup one of theirs over the Pigeon.
Old 12-09-19, 06:19 AM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 3,067 Times in 1,015 Posts
Originally Posted by JehD
Kirby picked up a Schwinn Swindler for $80 and his review seemed less than stellar. Just reading the add it sounds worse than the normal BSO found at a Walmart and with the recent customer service experience I had with Huffy If I was in the market I would probably pickup one of theirs over the Pigeon.
the Swindler is not a bad bike . It’s just not what I’ve grown accustomed to with the Electras . If it had a cantilever style frame , I’d probably like it more .
Most folks would be happy with it . But because it’s just been hanging in the garage since I bought it does say a lot I guess .

I plan on donating it to our “Relay for Life “ next year to raffle off .
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 12-09-19, 08:27 PM
JehD

Bikes: 1981 Bertin C34 - 2020 Electra Cruiser 7D - 2021 Mongoose Dolomite ALX

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by kirby999
the Swindler is not a bad bike . It’s just not what I’ve grown accustomed to with the Electras . If it had a cantilever style frame , I’d probably like it more .
Most folks would be happy with it . But because it’s just been hanging in the garage since I bought it does say a lot I guess .
I admit it looks like a nice bike but maybe Ive become a snob, a lower end snob but a snob all the same lol
Likes For JehD:
Old 12-10-19, 07:50 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by JehD
I admit it looks like a nice bike but maybe Ive become a snob, a lower end snob but a snob all the same lol
Lol. Same here. My low end for a new bike is probably around $250.00 these days. And that would be a single speed on sale.

Edit to add: I've seen a few new bikes on sale for $175.00 that have caught my attention.

Last edited by FiftySix; 12-11-19 at 07:28 AM.
Old 12-10-19, 08:08 AM
Olefeller77 

Bikes: Trek Marlin 6 29r - Scattanti road bike w carbon fork - Trek 6500 - Univega Alpina 503 - Specialized Sworks M4 made in USA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 57 Posts
I don't care for the style. Give it a -30 lb flat bar road bike look and I would look a bit closer. I still can't bring myself to buy a cheap new offering
that I can't ride or touch.
I agree with Fifty- Six chinese dumping .Add it up. Manufacturer needs small profit- shipper needs small profit- US seller needs profit - and US shipper needs profit. Nothing adds up
Old 12-10-19, 08:40 AM
2old

Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
Agree about not adding up when I just spent $50 to ship a bike frame (packaged in a box no bigger than the frame) from CA to OR by UPS.
Old 12-10-19, 09:07 AM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 380 Times in 222 Posts
^ Not to hijack this thread, but several years ago I shipped a frame to Wisconsin and used the good old USPS at about half the cost UPS was going to charge. The frame arrived in 3 days with no damage. I don't often ship frames but I would consider USPS if I did.
Old 12-10-19, 09:32 AM
Philphine

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
wonder if it has to do with the time of year? like if shipping companies have their own christmas specials with dealers around this time. i just looked at a bike on ebay that should have ridiculous shipping, but it's listed as shipping being free.
Old 12-19-19, 12:27 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by kirby999

I plan on donating it to our “Relay for Life “ next year to raffle off .
Looks like it might make a decent klunker or "gravel" bike, with a different fork.
Old 12-19-19, 12:31 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage Schwinn
The purple and white Flying Pigeon is a very nice looking bicycle. At $80, you probably do not expect much, but having only just seen the listing and only based
on the photos depicting it, the paint color looks nice enough. I have never seen in person but in my opinion, the paint color looks good enough. I don't know
how durable it would be in stock form, but it is a simple bicycle, so it would be easy to improve something if that is actually needed.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-FLYING-...trkparms=aid%:
(#133256047009 on the bay - new $79.90 free ship FLYING PIGEON bike )

There is a really low cost multi-speed (18 speed) PACIFIC Evolution that is also about $80 (actually $82.99 free ship...#293295543602 on the bay)
Unlike the Flying Pigeon, this PACIFIC Evolution has the old timey ONE PIECE CRANK and 3 x six gears at rear for 18 speeds. This Pacific Evolution is very
much like your economy- Kmart/Walmart mountain bike from the 1980's. Still the simplicity of it and the $82.99 cost will provide decent value for little cash.
Install those KENDA K-838 slick tires (see #254420545477 on the bay......they were $14.41 each for 26 x 1.95 Kenda K-838 tire for street)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Pacific...aid%3D55018%26

Lets start a discussion on obviously the lowest priced new bicycles on the market. Bicycles are not that complex in their most basic forms.
The Chinese had decades of experience with bicycles as their main form of transportation before Nixon's visit nearly fifty years ago.
I have no doubt that these will perform the basic function of a bicycle, even if they don't equal the build quality of the Raleighs and Schwinns,Columbias,
Amf's, Huffys,Murrays, Ross's, and other SEARS & Kmart specials that were all cruisin around on during Nixon's first term before the break-in.
So... mtb vs mixte...?
Old 12-19-19, 05:06 PM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 380 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by Son_Rising
At $129 OBO these used Origin8 Cutler single-speeds on eBay look pretty decent too https://www.ebay.com/itm/Origin8-Cut...AAAOSwnHZYdqIP
If the owner of that bike lives in Harper's Ferry and rode it locally, it has pulled some pretty good hill duty.