Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Installing Ultegra cassette on smart trainer

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-20, 08:34 AM
profjmb

Bikes: Mosaic RT-1, Trek Boone, Cervelo R3 Team, Surly Cross Check, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

I'm thinking about buying a smart trainer online to ride during the epidemic lockdown. I'm not allowed to go out, period, including to bike shop. Most smart trainers do not come with a cassette. I'm wondering how difficult it will be for me–to call me "not mechanically inclined" is an understatement–to install the cassette. I can sometimes follow directions, and I have occasionally successfully used a tool.
Old 03-27-20, 08:42 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
If you have tools to maintain your own bike, it's a snap. You'd want the shimano lock ring removal tool and at least an adjustable wrench with a jaw capacity of at least 1". To remove a cassette lock ring on a freehub, you'll also need a chain whip. I prefer to use a ratchet and socket so it doesn't slip. Installing a cassette will be very difficult without appropriate tools.

Park tool sells the lock ring tools, as well as publishing tutorials and videos for basic maintenance tasks, like replacing cassettes.

Edit: Shimano and the other manufacturers recommend a torque wrench to install the lock rings to the appropriate torque. It is very high, so the risk is that the cassette will be too 'loose'. Many members here don't use one and make the lock ring as tight as they can with the tool they're using. I wouldn't worry buying a torque wrench for this job.

Last edited by Unca_Sam; 03-27-20 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-27-20, 09:37 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Actually, on a direct drive trainer you need a chain whip to install as well as to remove the cassette. Unlike a wheel which you can hang onto while installing, the only way to keep the cassette from spinning forwards is to hold it with a chain whip
Old 03-27-20, 10:04 AM
bluehills3149

Bikes: depends what week it is..

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
If you look on Amazon/Ebay there are cassette removal tool kits which include a chain whip and splined tool for $10 or so. You will also need a large adjustable wrench as well or buy one of the more inclusive tool kits that are about $40 up and which will include tools for many other common repairs. You can get away without a torque wrench and there are probably a 100 youtube videos showing you how to do so. Park tool videos tend to be the gold standard of repairs using the exact brand new (Park) tools and meticulous process on brand new bikes.

Old 03-27-20, 04:13 PM
profjmb

Bikes: Mosaic RT-1, Trek Boone, Cervelo R3 Team, Surly Cross Check, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks so much for this information! I'm gonna pull the trigger.