Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

New bike, what should I buy?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 04-19-20, 11:58 AM
greg zoe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I plan on buying a new bike this week and I have done a lot of research but I am having trouble deciding. My budget is in the $1000 area and I would be riding 80% neighborhood roads & 20% dirt trails, nothing extreme. I am 6' 160lbs. and have been riding off and on for most of my life, but recently moved to a new town where biking is ideal.

I have three main local bike shops I can go to which sell Giant, Trek, & Specialized. But I am open to buying direct and putting it together myself. Unfortunately with the C-Virus all the shops are closed so no testing available. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated, I need to spend my Stimulus Check.

Last edited by greg zoe; 04-19-20 at 12:04 PM.
Old 04-19-20, 03:48 PM
captain belly

Bikes: 1994 Giant Iguana and 2020 Trek Verve 3

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 8 Posts
I just bought the Trek Verve 3, and I love it. I mainly ride The Katy Trail State Park, which is and old railroad bed that has been graveled. I’m 6’4” 255lbs 48 years old. The route that I take to the trail is a logging road through the woods. All of these places are fine. If you plan rougher riding, then get a Mt bike. I’m done with Mt bike riding. My body hurts. It’s like going from a Wrangler Jeep to a Jeep Grand Cherokee. The verve 3 has disc brakes too. I paid $800 after tax
Old 04-19-20, 03:59 PM
greg zoe

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's a nice bike, I wasn't sure if I should be focusing more on a hybrid or mountain bike.

I had looked at the Marlin 5, figured that might be a good starter and if I end up wanting to upgrade in the future I could give it to one of my sons when they are ready to ride. I had also looked at the Marlin 6 & 7 and the Dual Sport 3. I really like that Volt color.

The Specialized Sirrus 2.0 was also on my radar, but it seems more fitness than mountain bike. But they are offering a $50.00 rebate.

Trek is the closest dealer to me and they are a high rated shop in our area. Thought that would come in handy for future repairs and tune ups.
Likes For greg zoe:
Old 04-19-20, 04:07 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by greg zoe
I have three main local bike shops I can go to which sell Giant, Trek, & Specialized. But I am open to buying direct and putting it together myself. Unfortunately with the C-Virus all the shops are closed so no testing available. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated, I need to spend my Stimulus Check.
1. buy the bike you'll ride
2. support the local bike shop you like the best
3. other than that, just decide if you want drop bars or flat bars. (or mustache bars or rando bars or narrow French city bars or super wide Jones Loop bars or whatever.....)
Since you want to ride dirt trails and whatever, then get a bike that fits something like a 700c X 50mm tire. Talk to your local bike shop that your going to support. Maybe tell them what you'll be doing, but don't let them talk you into a suspension fork. You're going to get nice cushy tires, why do you need a suspension fork too? You want to haul that extra weight around? A more complicated part on a simple exercise machine? why?!?

Make sure it's comfortable - up right? I dunno - you said hybrid, so I assume you want upright. Ultimately get the bike you'll ride.

These seem really identical to me - so go with the bike shop you think will work with you most on bike fit and a good tune up.
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...rCode=bluedark
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/si...ext=90920-7700

(wow, trek's website is awful. and those e-bikes! they hurt by eyes... almost like looking as one of those awful time trial bikes....)
cheers!
ps - for reference, I mostly ride a Gunnar Crosshairs - a steel cyclocross bike. and a few other vintage bikes, MTB, an old Schwinn single speed...
Old 04-19-20, 04:40 PM
captain belly

I bought each of my kids the Trek Marlin 6 when they turned 16. Great quality bikes. I was going to buy one for myself, but after riding my Dad’s hybrid I couldn’t believe how comfortable it was. My dad is 77 years old, and rides 10-15 miles a day. I see why now. Super comfortable ride.... so... the hybrid is for me, and now I ride a lot more and enjoy it. But.....that’s just me.
Old 04-19-20, 04:49 PM
greg zoe

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like the flat handle bars and the upright ride. What makes a hybrid/fitness bike more comfortable to ride over a mountain bike? Is it the geometry?
Old 04-19-20, 05:21 PM
greg zoe

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am thinking either the Specialized Sirrus 2.0 or Trek Marlin 5. I can get them both for the same price, but am not sure if I would be better with the fitness/hybrid or the mountain bike.
Old 04-19-20, 05:27 PM
captain belly

You sit more upright on a hybrid, and hunched over on a Mt Bike. If ur up and down hills in the woods, then mt bike position make sense. However, I only ride flat long trails. Not comfortable with all that weight forward the whole time. So.... I have both bikes. I ride the hybrid significantly more.
Old 04-19-20, 05:46 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by greg zoe
I like the flat handle bars and the upright ride. What makes a hybrid/fitness bike more comfortable to ride over a mountain bike? Is it the geometry?
Mountain bikes are purpose built for off road. For road, and light trail use, go with a fitness bike or a gravel bike.
Old 04-19-20, 05:49 PM
greg zoe

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I see what you mean, maybe I am better off with the Specialized Sirrus 2.0 since most of my riding will be on smooth pavement.
Old 04-20-20, 03:53 AM
RayGu66

Bikes: Sirrus 6.0

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Sirrus X3.0... It may be your best option: More upright position, 42mm tire, suit to your need.
Old 04-20-20, 07:02 PM
ecsuser

Bikes: Sirrus 5.0

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
There are 5 bike shops within driving distance to me. Late last year I started kicking tires and the owner of one of the stores spent more time with me, was never condescending and in the end - actually asked for my business. Not that I had a bad experience at the other shops mind you, but only one stood out.

Find someone you can build a rapport with - your local bike shop is an invaluable resource.

ETA: I went with the Specialized Sirrus X 5
Likes For ecsuser: