Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Steel frame hybrid

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Steel frame hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-20, 06:56 PM
daps

Bikes: 2020 Jamis Sequel S3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Steel frame hybrid

after lurking a bit and asking a few questions around here I think I have landed on going with a steel frame hybrid. Contacted a local bike shop like 30 minutes away and they carry multiple models of the Jamis Coda and Sequel bikes. Anyone have suggestions between these two or any other models I should take a look at from other brands?
Old 05-01-20, 09:49 PM
hicks

Bikes: 2019 Jamis Sequel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I have the Sequel and I really like it! It has 10 speed vs the Coda 3x8 being one of the big differences(got hills?). I guess the Sequel is more rugged and mountain- bikeish with the big tires and wider handlebars(I think) and thru-axles vs QR. I'm going to try a Coda next time I get a chance just to see how it compares. Good luck with your decision!
Old 05-02-20, 06:27 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
Every time someone posts a Jamis Coda on their list I will vote for it
One of the smoothiest riding modern hybrids IMO. My test ride had me grinning from ear to ear. Unfortunately, the Coda Elite was out of my "want to spend" range (at the time) but in hindsight I should have sucked it up and bought it.

I had the funds but was trying to convince myself (actually thinking about convincing the Wife) why I needed a 5th bike. As a compromise I bought a lightly used Indie for less than half the cost.

I'm sure the other Coda's will perform just as nice as the Elite, but maybe a little less refined.

Next time I'm not gonna listen to the little voice in my head.....

Last edited by Speedway2; 05-02-20 at 06:31 AM.
Likes For Speedway2:
Old 05-02-20, 07:21 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
The Sequel offers more tire clearance and thru axles, which are both nice to have. The Coda will limit your tire clearance to about 35-38mm (so says the Jamis help desk when I asked). I don't know if you could put a 47mm tire on it if you went to 584mm wheels like the Sequel has, but it's a possibility. With most Codas being equipped with disc brakes, you don't have to stick with the 622mm wheels. But if your goal is wider tires, then the Sequel is probably the better fit for you. It's generally a bit more modern all around, with the thru axles, a chainstay-mounted brake caliper vs. seatstay-mounted like the Coda has, etc. You'll pay more for those things, though.

I'm not all that familiar with the Sequel, but it looks like a solid bike. If price were no factor, I'd probably buy the Sequel. If my budget was tight...I'd probably have to think more about it. :-)
Old 05-02-20, 08:24 AM
daps

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hicks
I have the Sequel and I really like it! It has 10 speed vs the Coda 3x8 being one of the big differences(got hills?). I guess the Sequel is more rugged and mountain- bikeish with the big tires and wider handlebars(I think) and thru-axles vs QR. I'm going to try a Coda next time I get a chance just to see how it compares. Good luck with your decision!
We definitely have hills around here. Mountain biking is really popular around here as well. Though I haven't really planned to get into that though eventually some light stuff might be ok.
Likes For daps:
Old 05-02-20, 11:02 AM
hicks

Originally Posted by Speedway2
Every time someone posts a Jamis Coda on their list I will vote for it
One of the smoothiest riding modern hybrids IMO. My test ride had me grinning from ear to ear. Unfortunately, the Coda Elite was out of my "want to spend" range (at the time) but in hindsight I should have sucked it up and bought it.

I had the funds but was trying to convince myself (actually thinking about convincing the Wife) why I needed a 5th bike. As a compromise I bought a lightly used Indie for less than half the cost.

I'm sure the other Coda's will perform just as nice as the Elite, but maybe a little less refined.

Next time I'm not gonna listen to the little voice in my head.....
I'm definitely recommending the Coda to anyone I know looking for a new bike. My local sporting goods store sells a few different models some in the 400-500 range. I paid 400 in 1992 for a Trek 850 which may have had better components but still both double-butted chromoly.
Likes For hicks:
Old 05-02-20, 11:07 AM
daps

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
So got a Sequel S3. They had it in stock and over the weekend as they just re-opened here in the Boise area they are doing 19% off of all Jamis. So paid $765 after tax. Pretty happy and think I will be glad I got the Sequel with the bigger tires considering the area I live in.
Old 05-02-20, 11:27 AM
hicks

Congrats daps sweet bike!^^^ It's such a solid feeling bike.
Old 05-02-20, 12:04 PM
daps

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hicks
Congrats daps sweet bike!^^^ It's such a solid feeling bike.
Yeah my brother and mom tried it out compared to their more expensive Specialized Aluminum frame bikes and think mine rides better. And they have upgraded pedals and saddles on theirs. Think I probably will upgrade the saddle on mine. Haven't done research on it yet, but it is a bit stiff. Maybe I will get used to it though. Will give it a bit of time.

Can't complain especially with the discount of almost 20 percent off. Went in expecting to spend $1000 and paid $765.
Old 05-02-20, 03:44 PM
hicks

Originally Posted by daps
Yeah my brother and mom tried it out compared to their more expensive Specialized Aluminum frame bikes and think mine rides better. And they have upgraded pedals and saddles on theirs. Think I probably will upgrade the saddle on mine. Haven't done research on it yet, but it is a bit stiff. Maybe I will get used to it though. Will give it a bit of time.

Can't complain especially with the discount of almost 20 percent off. Went in expecting to spend $1000 and paid $765.
That's great these bikes seem to go at a premium. I got mine for 949 then 10% off to become a member. The seat is just soft enough but I may upgrade. I upgraded the hand grips to Ergon GA3 and they're sooo much better.
Old 05-02-20, 04:08 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

daps....Congrats! Great choice. Beautiful bike. Enjoy!
Old 05-02-20, 04:10 PM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 226 Posts
Great looking bike. Enjoy!
Old 05-02-20, 06:33 PM
257 roberts

Bikes: 2008 Trek Police bike 2019 Jamis Coda Sport 2021 Surly Bridgeclub

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 304 Posts

I have the Jamis Coda Sport and it's a lot of bike for the money
Likes For 257 roberts:
Old 05-02-20, 11:59 PM
hicks

Very nice looking Coda!
Likes For hicks:
Old 05-03-20, 11:56 PM
hicks

My 2019 Jamis Sequel
Old 05-14-20, 10:04 PM
bent4me

Bikes: Recumbents and all HPV'S

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts
I purchased a Motobecane from Bikesdirect.
Chromoly frame, 1x12 in chrome and added silver fenders. It looks awesome and truly has a magic carpet ride. It has road brakes which I prefer over finiky disks. I've put over 700 miles in less than 2 months and it is a keeper.
Likes For bent4me:
Old 06-29-20, 12:00 AM
MrPeabody

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Just getting back into cycling after a really long time away, and would like a hybrid. What did you all find as the difference(s) between the steel & aluminum hybrids? I have my eye on a Jamis but haven't been able to compare yet (some virus thingy going around). I would have thought a steel frame would be exactly the opposite of what one would want in a hybrid.
Old 06-29-20, 03:30 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by MrPeabody
I would have thought a steel frame would be exactly the opposite of what one would want in a hybrid.
Why? High end steel is very much alive, high end Al is not
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 06-29-20, 05:42 AM
Speedway2

Mr Peabody...I picked up an aluminum Hybrid (last fall) to modernize my ride. I've been riding a Marin Muirwoods steel frame since 1995 with 1.5" slicks.
I really miss the steel frame and while I regret giving it to my son (now) I'm glad he's enjoying the bike that happens to be 1yr older than he is. He hasn't touched his aluminum hybrid since.....
Likes For Speedway2:
Old 06-29-20, 06:59 AM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by MrPeabody
Just getting back into cycling after a really long time away, and would like a hybrid. What did you all find as the difference(s) between the steel & aluminum hybrids? I have my eye on a Jamis but haven't been able to compare yet (some virus thingy going around). I would have thought a steel frame would be exactly the opposite of what one would want in a hybrid.
Steel is, in many ways, a better fit for how many people use a hybrid bike. Good steel hybrids weigh about the same as good aluminum hybrids, so there really is no weight penalty. Steel bikes tend to ride a little more comfortably than aluminum bikes. Not because they have more vertical compliance in the seat post area (that part of the bike is universally pretty rigid), but because forks are generally more complaint and the frame usually has a little more lateral compliance in it. People often say, "they just ride smoother."

There are, of course, down sides to steel. One of the most prominent is corrosion. If you ride in all types of weather, or even if you just live where it's humid, you can get water and salty spray inside the tubes, which can rust them from the inside. This can be mitigated or eliminated with the application of a rust preventative, but it is a drawback. Aluminum will never rust. Aluminum can and will still corrode, but it won't rust.

I have a steel hybrid, though an older one (a 1997 Trek 750). It's a true joy to ride. If I were buying new today, I'd take a hard look at the Jamis line (Coda or Sequel) -- they've got some very nice steel bikes. There are others that are not as well known, like some of the REI models, bikes like the Breezer Radar Cafe, etc.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 06-29-20, 08:27 AM
MrPeabody

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Steel is, in many ways, a better fit for how many people use a hybrid bike. Good steel hybrids weigh about the same as good aluminum hybrids, so there really is no weight penalty. Steel bikes tend to ride a little more comfortably than aluminum bikes. Not because they have more vertical compliance in the seat post area (that part of the bike is universally pretty rigid), but because forks are generally more complaint and the frame usually has a little more lateral compliance in it. People often say, "they just ride smoother."

There are, of course, down sides to steel. One of the most prominent is corrosion. If you ride in all types of weather, or even if you just live where it's humid, you can get water and salty spray inside the tubes, which can rust them from the inside. This can be mitigated or eliminated with the application of a rust preventative, but it is a drawback. Aluminum will never rust. Aluminum can and will still corrode, but it won't rust.

I have a steel hybrid, though an older one (a 1997 Trek 750). It's a true joy to ride. If I were buying new today, I'd take a hard look at the Jamis line (Coda or Sequel) -- they've got some very nice steel bikes. There are others that are not as well known, like some of the REI models, bikes like the Breezer Radar Cafe, etc.
Thanks. That’s exactly what I was wondering about — the weight issue. I’m in the northeast, so corrosion is definitely a concern but I won’t be riding in the winter months. If the weight difference is negligible, I’ll definitely be on the Jamis ASAP. I do know Jamis had issues with their aluminum frames years ago but got much better.
Old 06-29-20, 08:59 AM
hokiefyd 

Jamis quotes their $799 Coda Comp (steel frame/carbon fork) as weighing 26.50 pounds. Trek quotes their $799 FX 3 Disc (aluminum frame/carbon fork) as weighing 25.88 pounds in medium size. So the weight difference is, in my humble opinion, negligible.
Old 06-29-20, 04:37 PM
Speedway2

That Coda Comp is a beauty.
I saw a Coda Elite at the LBS after buying my aluminum Hybrid. The Elite was in my size and on sale but I figured I could not convince the wife that I needed another bike.
In hindsight I should have just bought it and asked for forgiveness......
Old 06-29-20, 06:06 PM
hicks

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Jamis quotes their $799 Coda Comp (steel frame/carbon fork) as weighing 26.50 pounds. Trek quotes their $799 FX 3 Disc (aluminum frame/carbon fork) as weighing 25.88 pounds in medium size. So the weight difference is, in my humble opinion, negligible.
And the Jamis Allegro frame, triple butted aluminum, is 14 ounces lighter than the Coda frame. Not enough for me to go aluminum.