Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Specialized 2018 Drivetrain advice

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 06-22-20, 03:07 AM
Big_Juan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

I've managed to get the first bit of bike maintenance done on my Crosstrail 2018. Had a really good pedal with my pal, the brakes worked and the wheels stayed on!!
So pretty chuffed at the moment.

The next bit of planned maintenance is the chain. It's about .0.75mm stretch and I think I should change it.
According to the website this is the chain.....

KMC x8EPT, 8-Speed , Anti-Corrosion Coating with Reusable Missing Link.

It looks like Wiggle has one of these, and I was just going to buy one.

My Cycling partner suggested that I may need to change the cassette too. From the Specialized site it looks like it's this....

Sunrace, 8-Speed, 11-34t

If I do need to change the cassette, any idea what the bolt type is used to slacken off the cassette?
I have a toolkit I picked up from Decathlon and it looks to have an unlocking bolt, I have no idea what bolt type it fits.

Basically just looking for advice on the chain and the cassette maintenance also any extra tools and tips that would be useful to a newbie.

Thanks

PS If anyone is looking for the specs of a Crosstrail, in the UK Site, it's in the Archive linked section.
Old 06-22-20, 05:48 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 991 Times in 484 Posts
Originally Posted by Big_Juan
Hi,

I've managed to get the first bit of bike maintenance done on my Crosstrail 2018. Had a really good pedal with my pal, the brakes worked and the wheels stayed on!!
So pretty chuffed at the moment.

The next bit of planned maintenance is the chain. It's about .0.75mm stretch and I think I should change it.
According to the website this is the chain.....

KMC x8EPT, 8-Speed , Anti-Corrosion Coating with Reusable Missing Link.

It looks like Wiggle has one of these, and I was just going to buy one.

My Cycling partner suggested that I may need to change the cassette too. From the Specialized site it looks like it's this....

Sunrace, 8-Speed, 11-34t

If I do need to change the cassette, any idea what the bolt type is used to slacken off the cassette?
I have a toolkit I picked up from Decathlon and it looks to have an unlocking bolt, I have no idea what bolt type it fits.

Basically just looking for advice on the chain and the cassette maintenance also any extra tools and tips that would be useful to a newbie.

Thanks

PS If anyone is looking for the specs of a Crosstrail, in the UK Site, it's in the Archive linked section.
It doesn't have to be the exact chain, any 8 sp chain will do. On 8sp triples, I like to use 9sp chains to minimize chain rub and gain access to higher quality chains. I've been using Sedis chains since '90 so I still use them to this day; now they are known as SRAM chains. KMC chains are heavily used as OEM and work well. Shimano chains are generally the quietest but don't come with links. TBH, I have multiple bikes with all three brands of chains from 8 to 11 sp and they are all good.

For 8sp cassettes, I prefer SRAM 850 (L) over Shimano (R) as they are much lighter due to less metal in each cog and shift great. They also have a better coating than Shimano's current 8sp offerings and are available in more ratios.

For tools, you will need a hyperglide lockring tool, a chain whip, and a chain tool. Pliers for the links make life easier but is not indispensable.

If your current cassette has an alloy lockring, hang on to it.
Old 06-22-20, 06:24 AM
Big_Juan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,

Yes I have a chain whip, probably worth getting the pliers too. Don't think they are expensive.
The locking tool I'll get, sounds like it will de indispensable.

Thanks for the reply, the advice on the chain and cassette is really appreciated.
I thought it might be best just to stick with the original specs and brands just to avoid any issues that I don't have the experience in fixing.

I better start putting in some orders!
Old 06-22-20, 07:25 AM
Big_Juan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
By Heck!!! Chains from online bicycle stores like Chain Reaction and Wiggle are hard to come by!
Could be an over reaction on my part, but just a straight forward like for like swap, and KMC X8 chains seem to be out of stock!
Managed to find one on Amazon.
Struggling to find the Park Tool Locking Ring too. I'll keep searching and post what website I got it from.