Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Great Article on The Oil Drum Featuring a Video About Portland

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 09-01-07, 11:06 AM
kmcrawford111
50/50 Road/eBike Commuter

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Fatboy, Specialized Sirrus, Nashbar Campus, Taga 2.0 Trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I went to https://nyc.theoildrum.com/node/2928 today and found an article with a great 31-minute video about Portland that largely dealt with bicycling in that city.

It was the most positive thing I've seen yet about actions being taken in this country. It it posted under the heading "TOD Local: Paris Edition" for August 31. Check it out. I posted a comment in the comments section, and would encourage other members to join the discussion!
Old 09-01-07, 11:30 AM
Chaco

Bikes: Scott CR1 Team

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That was very encouraging! It also reminded me about another counter-argument to the crap about how bicyclists don't pay taxes. Yes, I know that's a stupid argument anyway, since most cyclists are motorists, too. But on top of that, the kind of things that Portland is doing is attracting property owners, who pay property taxes, a far more significant source of revenue than gas taxes, and one that goes to a much wider array of services.

I read an article the other day that Oceanside, CA is trying to do some of the same things Portland is. They recognize that making their city bike friendly will attract people to live there, improving their tax base.
Old 09-04-07, 11:14 AM
BeTheChange
Climb on my trusty steed

Bikes: trek 520, specialized stumpjumper pro

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got 2 friends who are moving to Portland right now and I sent them the link. Both are cyclists although one is a racer/commuter while the other is new to riding and I'm sure the infrastructure will help her a lot.

I can't wait to go visit them next year when I'm looking at grad schools on the west coast. If only Portland had some molecular biology research I was interested in doing while getting a PhD.

Maybe someday I could teach in Portland. I've never been there but I'm in love with the place already.
Old 09-11-07, 12:58 PM
vincentpaul
Artful Dodger

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kmcrawford111
I went to https://www.theoildrum.com/ today and found an article with a great 31-minute video about Portland that largely dealt with bicycling in that city.

It was the most positive thing I've seen yet about actions being taken in this country. It it posted under the heading "TOD Local: Paris Edition" for August 31. Check it out. I posted a comment in the comments section, and would encourage other members to join the discussion!
I'm a public employee who lives in the Pdx suburb of Beaverton. I used to mountain bike some during college/law school. After much encouragement from e-mail at work, public service announcements, and a teenage daughter who would like to use my car while I'm at work, I began commuting by bike this month. Portland is really pushing for bike/public transit. I pulled my 1990 Diamond Back hard fork mountain bike to the LBS, outfitted it with slicks, fenders, lights, and a ton of reflective tape. Portland publishes a bike map of the city (current version: Bike There! 2007). Over the last few days I've found myself really enjoying my commute for the first time in years. You can get to within a block or two of almost anywhere in the metro area on bike lanes. The funny thing is, during rush hour my 6.5 mile commute used to take about 25 minutes, give or take. On bike it takes about 35 minutes. Now I've got no reason to miss my daily cardio. For a flabby, desk-bound, 43-year-old, that's a real plus. Now, we'll see how the winter goes....luckily, the state as an employer is pushing for reduction of energy consumption and traffic. My managers are really good about "flexing" our lunch hours, telecommuting mornings or afternoons, storing bikes in the office, etc. That should help when the day light hours shorten. I'll probably be asking for encouragement.
Old 09-11-07, 10:25 PM
donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I commute on that bridge every day.
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 09-11-07, 11:41 PM
randya

Bikes: who cares?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
you should link directly to the article, it's rapidly becoming history on that site.
Old 09-12-07, 12:19 AM
donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by randya
you should link directly to the article, it's rapidly becoming history on that site.
Fixed.
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."