Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2024.1

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2024.1

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-24, 09:49 AM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3205 Post(s)
Liked 1,845 Times in 1,164 Posts
No one is more surprised than me(I?) that I didn’t wake up sick this morning. I hit the tried and true goldenseal tincture at the first sign of symptoms, then slept almost ten hours, and awoke slightly off from normal. I am taking the day off from the city and anything else stressful, and plan to dodge that bullet this time.
Old 01-12-24, 09:50 AM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
As you must be aware, upstate NY (outside of Albany, which is Giants country) generally aligns to the Bills.
After living in 5 different "Upstate" NY locations, it really varies wildly. In Syracuse, Giants country, but I don't think I ever met a Bills fan who wasn't a transplant. Generally speaking, Central NY doesn't feel a lot of kinship to Buffalo. Giants, Steelers, Eagles, Dolphins, & Cowboys were the fan base I would meet. I think they rely on Syracuse University to fill the mediocrity gap.

The Southern Tier, huge Buffalo, so probably spot on. Finger Lakes, no guessing, all over the place, but I don't remember a Buffalo preference. There would be Jim Kelly fans, but the base seemed to give up after him. And in the North Country, I don't remember ever meeting a football fan.

The funny thing is I have never met a Jets fan.
Old 01-12-24, 09:51 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01
Datlas, feel better.

Everyone else take a deep breath, relax.....
It's going to be o.k.
I can think of at least one here who would disagree.
Old 01-12-24, 09:52 AM
badger1

Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Yes. Very. Don’t you have home Covid tests there? They are widely available in USA.
Yep ... very. Didn't like seeing the pic of your test! We (Mrs. Badger and I) essentially lost the month of December to covid. Could be an age thing (? we are both 72), but we were really, really ill, and still fighting fatigue etc. Not an experience I care to repeat.

Hope you get over the damned thing quickly!!
Old 01-12-24, 09:58 AM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Yes. Very. Don’t you have home Covid tests there? They are widely available in USA.
Possibly in the bigger cities.
I have never read any reference to us having them. They are selling us vaccines from pharmacies now though. Only US$50 a pop. We have thus far declined.
And on that note, I looked up tpu tubes this morning. Amazon.mx prices start at around $15@. There was one brand that was only $4, and I figure that is the one to avoid. Every brand has their own bright color. In a year or so the cost might come down some, or, better, I could have some sent to Bob in Maine, and he would carry them down. I am getting a lot of mileage out of handing him a recently tuned Paramount in his size for the month he visits every year.
Old 01-12-24, 10:02 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11404 Post(s)
Liked 4,761 Times in 2,770 Posts
Originally Posted by RollCNY
After living in 5 different "Upstate" NY locations, it really varies wildly. In Syracuse, Giants country, but I don't think I ever met a Bills fan who wasn't a transplant. Generally speaking, Central NY doesn't feel a lot of kinship to Buffalo. Giants, Steelers, Eagles, Dolphins, & Cowboys were the fan base I would meet. I think they rely on Syracuse University to fill the mediocrity gap.

The Southern Tier, huge Buffalo, so probably spot on. Finger Lakes, no guessing, all over the place, but I don't remember a Buffalo preference. There would be Jim Kelly fans, but the base seemed to give up after him. And in the North Country, I don't remember ever meeting a football fan.

Pcad? I may be wrong and though like you, I may not have actually met him, it pretty much felt like I had.
Old 01-12-24, 10:03 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10238 Post(s)
Liked 5,185 Times in 2,226 Posts
Started late this morning. Alarm went off at 3 and I was just to tired so opted for another hour of sleep. Today was zone 5 intervals and I should have looked at the workout before I started. I though my it was 5 2 min intervals but it was 4 5 min intervals. I picked the wrong stretch of road. It works well for short intervals but isn’t long enough for 5, I was able to make it work, but the first interval I had to stop in the middle and turn around. Other than that it went well. I have a richmond overnight scheduled on Sunday so I brought a bike with me. Hoping I can get a ride in.
Old 01-12-24, 10:03 AM
LAJ
So it is

I hope you feel better, datlas
Likes For LAJ:
Old 01-12-24, 10:09 AM
seedsbelize2

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
I don't live in the land of ice and snow (cue song) but I just finished my snow removal for the third time this week and I don't like it. We have another round coming this afternoon and then high temps drop to 17º, 0º, 3º and -1º. Wind chills to -30º. I might have to agree with VV, winter is pissing me off.
So we could be getting yet another cold front this winter. Woo hoo! This could turn into the longest winter in recent memory. It came early by almost a month.
Old 01-12-24, 10:15 AM
LAJ
So it is

Originally Posted by BillyD
Wow, you’re barking up the wrong tree. It’s a joke. Do I have to post a smiley every time I say something to you? Men absurdly protesting women’s assertion that they don’t experience anything comparable to childbirth is a time-honored laugh. If I hadn’t said it, someone else would have.
Please don't take this wrong, Bill.

I don't think anyone took your statement as a joke, based on the anecdotal posts that were provided following yours. Simply put, humoUr can't be determined by a single statement anymore. Not in todays society, at least.
Likes For LAJ:
Old 01-12-24, 10:17 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,928 Times in 4,160 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
Pcad? I may be wrong and though like you, I may not have actually met him, it pretty much felt like I had.
I know he was a huge Mets fan. Jets too?
Old 01-12-24, 10:20 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10439 Post(s)
Liked 11,913 Times in 6,101 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p

I did not have the pain med script filled when I was diagnosed with a kidney stone

yowza excruciating pain
YIKES!!
I've never been able to capture one. Funny thing is, people who've never had one think the pain is from passing it through the urethra, rather than the ureters. After a couple episodes, I now get anxious every time I get any slight discomfort on either side below the ribcage.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 01-12-24, 10:22 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8286 Post(s)
Liked 9,055 Times in 4,481 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
Yep. Jets fan and Mets fan.
Likes For big john:
Old 01-12-24, 10:25 AM
LAJ
So it is

I know he was a huge Mets fan. Jets too?
I'm foggy on that, but I seemed to remember some mention. Perhaps it was just derision of them.
Old 01-12-24, 10:25 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,928 Times in 4,160 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
YIKES!!
I've never been able to capture one. Funny thing is, people who've never had one think the pain is from passing it through the urethra, rather than the ureters. After a couple episodes, I now get anxious every time I get any slight discomfort on either side below the ribcage.
Apparently the main/severe pain source is stretching of the renal pelvis.
Likes For datlas:
Old 01-12-24, 10:28 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11974 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
Might need your big coat.
I save my down coat for days such as that, with a couple of layers underneath as usual.

Needless to say it hasn’t been called on for a couple of years. They don’t make winters around here like they used to.
Old 01-12-24, 10:29 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13714 Post(s)
Liked 4,531 Times in 2,507 Posts

I must be in a strange Bills pocket.
Old 01-12-24, 10:29 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
As long as the store ain't too crowded I can totally get zen whilst grocery shopping too.
I'm at the grocery store 5 days a week anymore, picking up The Older Boy. Probably 3 days out of those 5 I'm actually shopping. It's gotten me completely out of the habit of buying a week's groceries. Of course, between the Safeway Club Card discounts and TOB's "Associate" discount, we save a lot - often 30%, because we shop the sales.

When I was a ute, the nearest actual supermarket was in Gettysburg, 8 miles away, so we went shopping once a week. Mom had to buy for the whole week, even though she worked about half a mile from the A&P where we shopped - I don't remember her stopping off for this and that on the way home.

Old 01-12-24, 10:31 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13714 Post(s)
Liked 4,531 Times in 2,507 Posts
Mainly, around here, it's a sea of orange.
Old 01-12-24, 10:33 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Obviously up-staters have enough sense to steer clear of absolute futility.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 01-12-24, 10:36 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by LAJ
He was a Mets fan for sure, but I don’t recall the lunacy spread to the Jets.
Old 01-12-24, 10:37 AM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
I must be in a strange Bills pocket.
Or perhaps my exposure was not representative. I am trying this thing where I imagine a possibility for errors existing in my observations.
Old 01-12-24, 10:38 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by BillyD
See, if we had any women in this thread, we would get some pushback on that statement.

It seems there are much fewer women cyclists nowadays, definitely fewer who use Bike Forums. Very sad, because just a single woman around adds so much value to the place.
I've known two women who had kidney stones AND gave birth. Both said the kidney stones were worse.

Old 01-12-24, 10:41 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Agree that we would benefit from more women.

i do not agree that my comment on relative pain of childbirth and kidney stones are comparable would trigger female pushback. Maybe I am just not woke, but I neither intended nor see even a drop of any type of anti-female bias in the comment I made.

Am I missing something?? I am willing to reconsider my position if I really said something anti-female but just don’t see it.
I wonder if internet forums like this are much more a guy thing? I've been on several different ones as my hobbies changed - archery, watchmaking, cycling - and in each case the forum participants were overwhelmingly male.

Old 01-12-24, 10:42 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Ugh….

Oh, 'eck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.