Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

hi-viz paint job

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

hi-viz paint job

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-13, 01:59 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
hi-viz paint job

What's a good hi-viz color scheme for a bike that needs new paint? It is yellow w/ black lugs now. I am wondering about pink w/ yellow lugs, or maybe the inverse.
Old 07-01-13, 03:01 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Friend has a Bright Orange bike, Powdercoat I Think.. hand outlined the lug edges..

There is Halo Powdercoat, not a flashy color , but it reflects light shined on it ..
Old 07-01-13, 07:10 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2497 Post(s)
Liked 740 Times in 523 Posts
Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg
What's a good hi-viz color scheme for a bike that needs new paint? It is yellow w/ black lugs now. I am wondering about pink w/ yellow lugs, or maybe the inverse.
Before I invest anymore time in this... is this a serious question?
Old 07-01-13, 07:28 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Metallic neon green, perhaps with some glow-in-the-dark paint mixed in?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-01-13, 09:52 PM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 99 Posts
hi-viz paint job

Go for the "pink with the yellow lugs"...
Old 07-02-13, 04:17 AM
kimberyote

Bikes: Trek 7.6 & Giant Cypress LX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have seen bicycles in refineries painted with fluorescent marking paint that was unbelievably visible in my peripheral vision.
I wish the leaders in the cycling and painting industries would come up with very bright and at the same time appealing and reflective colors for frames and helmets. I am new to bicycling and I am shocked how colors of clothes the cyclist wear are chosen for style rather than safety. The biggest names, riders and designers are failing dramatically in this area IMHO. Many cycling accidents and deaths could be reduced if this type of safety culture would be adopted.
I wear a wick away bright green safety shirt that fits loose that keeps me cool and dry and protects me from the sun. I just wish it had rear pockets like the cycling jerseys do. I bought a bright green & black helmet last year also. Every little bit helps.
Old 07-02-13, 09:41 AM
Booger1

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
OSHA radiation purple......
Old 07-02-13, 11:17 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2497 Post(s)
Liked 740 Times in 523 Posts
Originally Posted by kimberyote
I have seen bicycles in refineries painted with fluorescent marking paint that was unbelievably visible in my peripheral vision.
I wish the leaders in the cycling and painting industries would come up with very bright and at the same time appealing and reflective colors for frames and helmets. I am new to bicycling and I am shocked how colors of clothes the cyclist wear are chosen for style rather than safety. The biggest names, riders and designers are failing dramatically in this area IMHO. Many cycling accidents and deaths could be reduced if this type of safety culture would be adopted.
I wear a wick away bright green safety shirt that fits loose that keeps me cool and dry and protects me from the sun. I just wish it had rear pockets like the cycling jerseys do. I bought a bright green & black helmet last year also. Every little bit helps.

Ok.. don't jump all over me because I don't work in or on a refinery... I presume you do... however, I suspect the hi-viz coloration of the bicycles is more of an aid to their being located amongst the general clutter rather than an aid to their being seen while ridden! The general consensus is that it is the rider of a bicycle, motorcycle... .. or horse... that needs the hi-viz treatment, since that is the trigger for human awareness. Not size, otherwise the poor horses would have fluorescent green paint applied to their hides. America is obsessed with safety and baby's diapers can be found in hi-viz neon green if you know where to look. Hasn't made a dent in the overall rankings of America in the world for personal safety out there among the F-150's and Escalades. I wear a hi-viz soft shell jacket (with pockets) and the sleeves remove to become a hi-viz jersey. I wore it yesterday in the heat wave that we are having in the PNW and completed a fast 20 miler (not commute) in good condition. Safety, real safety requires that everyone get on board with respect to accountability. In Europe, this is so. In America the onus is put on the potential victim to secure their "safety". This can, and does, fail with depressing frequency.

H
Old 07-02-13, 01:33 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Safety, real safety requires that everyone get on board with respect to accountability. In Europe, this is so. In America the onus is put on the potential victim to secure their "safety". This can, and does, fail with depressing frequency.
I am aware that I need to leave no doubt of how visible I am trying to be. That's mostly for after-the-fact accounting because no amount of hi-viz helps if somebody just plain isn't looking.
Old 07-05-13, 10:15 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked 1,827 Times in 1,063 Posts
The old Hurt Report found that the color of paint on motorcycles made no difference in visibility (accident rate).
Old 07-05-13, 02:08 PM
polishmadman
I don't get out enough

Bikes: Gary Fisher Marlin, Bike E rx, Diamondback Centurion Expert TG, early 80's steel bike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Honestly you &your bike can be completely covered in hi-viz pink, green, and yellow with super bright head and taillights. And you van still be hit. If they're not looking for you, it don't matter. Thats what happened to me.
Old 07-05-13, 07:22 PM
Bluish Green
Bicycle Commuter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a co-worker with a singlespeed that has a bright, neon yellow paint finish. It is great, I can spot him all the way across a huge parking lot, the paint really makes it stand out. Which is really helpful for his visibility, since he commutes in casual clothes.

I'd like to see more hi-viz options available, too. I understand that they are not for everybody, but some of us would value that. It would be cool if you could order a bike in custom colors. Neon hot fluorescent pink would be my pick.
Old 07-05-13, 07:47 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
More than a hi-viz paint job, making you and the bike stand out as freakishly ODD will get you noticed; for example, a small flaming skull on top of the plastic flagpole that attaches to the rear triangle will get attention....
Old 07-06-13, 01:36 PM
bergerandfries
That gives him a hobby

Bikes: 1992 Raliegh Heat and 2008 Bianchi Volpe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Friend has a Bright Orange bike, Powdercoat I Think.. hand outlined the lug edges..

There is Halo Powdercoat, not a flashy color , but it reflects light shined on it ..
Where can I get a Halo Powdercoat done? I've been looking everywhere with no dice...
Old 07-06-13, 01:40 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Using the Google Fu : https://halocoatings.com/ ... https://www.acmefinishing.com/reflective.php

https://halocoatings.com/Partners.html

looks like velocity has moved into using it for Rims. one of the color options.
https://www.velocityusa.com/tech/colors/#Reflective

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-06-13 at 01:46 PM.
Old 07-07-13, 07:36 AM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I painted my commuter bike with neon orange spray paint from Home Depot. It's very visable. The only problem is that I did a crappy paint job and the paint peeled, so it makes the bike look like a piece of junk. Or maybe it's just more theft-resistant.

If you did a combination or neon orange and neon yellow I bet you could make something visible, almost like a See Me Wear jersey.
Old 07-15-13, 01:16 PM
bergerandfries
That gives him a hobby

Bikes: 1992 Raliegh Heat and 2008 Bianchi Volpe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everyone wants $1500 order or more to even be bothered with it. I'll just tape the bike with retro-reflective tape and be done with it...