Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Metamorphasis of the Hippie Bike

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-17, 02:07 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 642 Posts

About 10 years ago, I was in the routine of scavenging cheap bicycle sources in the Mechanicsburg, PA area, hoping to find cheap, reasonably good mountain bikes and parts for an upcoming Scouting trip along the C&O Canal. I had done it a few years previously on a horrible, heavy, big box beast, and was not about to repeat that. One of my regular stops was the Volunteers of America thrift store. People would dump all kinds of goods (including at the time a number of bikes) out back, and I had previous success in walking into the store, telling them I was interested in something out back (which they hadn't looked at yet), and paying their very reasonable price. Just a couple weeks before, I had found a Trek 830 out back, and I was pretty stoked to find a repainted beast in back that had no indentifiable markings, but which did have the trio of cable braze-ons on the top of the top-tube, just like those on Trek MTBs of the era. I went inside, and happily emerged a few minutes later, about $8.00 poorer, but with an Alivio-equipped beast that had been creatively disguised as an artifact of the 1960's.

Aside from the saddle and bar-ends, it looked just like this:

My plan had been to allow my son to ride this for the journey, and get him hooked on cycling. Well, as I found, it was already too late for that, as he had discovered cars... and his attraction was too strong to overcome with either this, or the old Colnago I got for him as lures. Anyway, years passed, and I found myself ready to move, and in possession of two Mountain bikes, and decided I only needed one. I saw the tapered tubing on this bike, and figured it must be a nicer bike, and opted to keep it. I passed the Trek on to jgedwa as a small token for a big favor he'd done for me previously, and moved.

About that time 650B seemed to be quite a phenomena, and I was inspired by conversions that others here had done with old MTBs (much more in line with my budget than stalking a Herse, Singer or J Routens). I was in the planning stages of this, when gravel-grinding variants started to pop up, and I got wind of Compass' plans to introduce the Rat Trap Pass tire. Once again, pragmatism won out, and I rationalized that 26" wheels would be easier to come up with than 650B... all this made feasible by the tire offering.

So finally, in late summer 2015, I got started. I was still curious about what I had, since the fork and geometry didn't quite match up with anything in vintage-trek's catalogs. I mentioned my consternation to someone here, and it was suggested that the mono-stay and the tapered tubing had been associated with Bontrager frames, and with a bit of research, I almost persuaded myself that I had a Bontrager Privateer. Yet, the frame angles and fork didn't quite match up. Shortly after I set to work sanding it down, I uncovered the truth.

Kind of a shame to lose this neat labeling.

So now, finally knowing what I had, I painted it. It came out pretty well. I am satisfied, even though it wasn't quite as stunning as I had dreamed (was hoping for more of an effect of seeing outer-space in the paint, but I'll take it). It came out a lot better than the time I tried spray painting my Raleigh Professional all by myself.

After painting it and getting many of the parts, life bogged my progress down again. So now finally, I have it all together and took it for a very short spin.

Of course, I had to retain a tribute to what it was when I found it:

I need to adjust the brifter angles, tune the brakes and fiddle with the fender line, but overall, I am pleased. The tires make it feel like I'm riding a cloud, and the lower gears get me up the rather steep hill on my street without issues. I'm looking forward to dialing this in, and riding it around a bunch. Of course, there are at least 5 more projects in the queue, but I'm back to making progress now, and it feels good.

A few more pictures of the project are in this album in Flickr.
Old 01-16-17, 02:19 PM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Nice work Zorro! Love the peace cable hanger, is it a real Ringle Mojo or an imitation?
Old 01-16-17, 02:21 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1956 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 1,680 Posts
Man that looks great. Almost makes me want a mountain bike.

Nice work!
Old 01-16-17, 02:25 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Originally Posted by cyclotoine
Nice work Zorro! Love the peace cable hanger, is it a real Ringle Mojo or an imitation?
I wish. I went for thrifty on that.
Old 01-16-17, 02:38 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
I'm no great fan of the Dead but even I cringe when my bride, given to misunderstanding and misquoting many cultural references, would call that head badge of yours the "sit on your face" sign.
Originally Posted by USAZorro
Old 01-16-17, 02:41 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1956 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 1,680 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
I'm no great fan of the Dead but even I cringe when my bride, given to misunderstanding and misquoting many cultural references, would call that head badge of yours the "sit on your face" sign.
Freudian slip on her part?
Old 01-16-17, 02:41 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
About 10 years ago, I was in the routine of scavenging cheap bicycle sources in the Mechanicsburg, PA area, hoping to find cheap, reasonably good mountain bikes and parts for an upcoming Scouting trip along the C&O Canal. I had done it a few years previously on a horrible, heavy, big box beast, and was not about to repeat that. One of my regular stops was the Volunteers of America thrift store. People would dump all kinds of goods (including at the time a number of bikes) out back, and I had previous success in walking into the store, telling them I was interested in something out back (which they hadn't looked at yet), and paying their very reasonable price. Just a couple weeks before, I had found a Trek 830 out back, and I was pretty stoked to find a repainted beast in back that had no indentifiable markings, but which did have the trio of cable braze-ons on the top of the top-tube, just like those on Trek MTBs of the era. I went inside, and happily emerged a few minutes later, about $8.00 poorer, but with an Alivio-equipped beast that had been creatively disguised as an artifact of the 1960's.

Aside from the saddle and bar-ends, it looked just like this:

My plan had been to allow my son to ride this for the journey, and get him hooked on cycling. Well, as I found, it was already too late for that, as he had discovered cars... and his attraction was too strong to overcome with either this, or the old Colnago I got for him as lures. Anyway, years passed, and I found myself ready to move, and in possession of two Mountain bikes, and decided I only needed one. I saw the tapered tubing on this bike, and figured it must be a nicer bike, and opted to keep it. I passed the Trek on to jgedwa as a small token for a big favor he'd done for me previously, and moved.

About that time 650B seemed to be quite a phenomena, and I was inspired by conversions that others here had done with old MTBs (much more in line with my budget than stalking a Herse, Singer or J Routens). I was in the planning stages of this, when gravel-grinding variants started to pop up, and I got wind of Compass' plans to introduce the Rat Trap Pass tire. Once again, pragmatism won out, and I rationalized that 26" wheels would be easier to come up with than 650B... all this made feasible by the tire offering.

So finally, in late summer 2015, I got started. I was still curious about what I had, since the fork and geometry didn't quite match up with anything in vintage-trek's catalogs. I mentioned my consternation to someone here, and it was suggested that the mono-stay and the tapered tubing had been associated with Bontrager frames, and with a bit of research, I almost persuaded myself that I had a Bontrager Privateer. Yet, the frame angles and fork didn't quite match up. Shortly after I set to work sanding it down, I uncovered the truth.

Kind of a shame to lose this neat labeling.

So now, finally knowing what I had, I painted it. It came out pretty well. I am satisfied, even though it wasn't quite as stunning as I had dreamed (was hoping for more of an effect of seeing outer-space in the paint, but I'll take it). It came out a lot better than the time I tried spray painting my Raleigh Professional all by myself.

After painting it and getting many of the parts, life bogged my progress down again. So now finally, I have it all together and took it for a very short spin.

Of course, I had to retain a tribute to what it was when I found it:

I need to adjust the brifter angles, tune the brakes and fiddle with the fender line, but overall, I am pleased. The tires make it feel like I'm riding a cloud, and the lower gears get me up the rather steep hill on my street without issues. I'm looking forward to dialing this in, and riding it around a bunch. Of course, there are at least 5 more projects in the queue, but I'm back to making progress now, and it feels good.

A few more pictures of the project are in this album in Flickr.
So much awesome in this thread:

The way you explained this. The bike build. The paint...

Such a well thought out, well executed build...and I like your aesthetic choices.
Old 01-16-17, 03:24 PM
SloButWide 
Heck on Wheels

Bikes: In Signature

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Well built! Looks great, and personalized to do the job.
There are lots of painstaking, "time and money are no object builds" here. I think the constrained builds are just as admirable.

Plus, I'd buy a Giant Iguana just for the bragging rights. "Yeah, rode a giant iguana to work today, a little twitchy on the ice, but no big deal."

Bikes so far: 2011 Felt Z85, 80's Raleigh Sovereign (USA), 91 Bianchi Peregrine, 91 Austro-Daimler Pathfinder, 90's Trek 730 Multitrack, STOLEN: 80 Schwinn Voyageur (Japan)

Old 01-16-17, 03:26 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Maybe it is a "69er".
Old 01-16-17, 04:49 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Love it. What tires did you end up going with? Compass? I am jonesing for something nicer than the performance 26" hardcase tires I have and yours look awesome.

Make sure you post it here too! https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...nversions.html
Old 01-16-17, 05:13 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
Freudian slip on her part?
Nah, it's just that once she's convinced she's correct about something her insistence on believing it will outlast anyone's patience in trying to correct her.
Old 01-16-17, 05:15 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Originally Posted by tricky
Love it. What tires did you end up going with? Compass? I am jonesing for something nicer than the performance 26" hardcase tires I have and yours look awesome.

Make sure you post it here too! https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...nversions.html

Posted. I went with Compass Rat Trap Pass tires.
Old 01-16-17, 05:43 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 142 Posts
Posted. I went with Compass Rat Trap Pass tires.
Great tires.

Great build.

Fun thread.

Thanks.
Old 01-16-17, 07:36 PM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 198 Posts
Agree with the previous posters - cool bike, cool build, cool thread showing the progression.

Are the shift cables missing ferrules where they exit the shifters?
Old 01-16-17, 08:18 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,481 Times in 1,440 Posts
I never wanted to put drop bars on a mountain bike. Until now.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-16-17, 08:36 PM
Paramount1973 

Bikes: Schwinn Continental, Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn High Plains, Schwinn World Sport, Trek 420, Trek 930,Trek 660, Novara X-R, Giant Iguana. Fuji Sagres mixte.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by SloButWide
Well built! Looks great, and personalized to do the job.
There are lots of painstaking, "time and money are no object builds" here. I think the constrained builds are just as admirable.

Plus, I'd buy a Giant Iguana just for the bragging rights. "Yeah, rode a giant iguana to work today, a little twitchy on the ice, but no big deal."
I have a Giant Iguana and I derive pleasure from telling people that. Also thinking of a drop bar conversion of it.
Old 01-16-17, 08:53 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Nah, it's just that once she's convinced she's correct about something her insistence on believing it will outlast anyone's patience in trying to correct her.
Wow. You married my wife?

Tell her that logo was invented by Owsley Stanley.

Excellent restoration, BTW.
Old 01-16-17, 09:17 PM
jgedwa
surly old man

Bikes: IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts
looks great. Central PA still is reeling from your departure. Hope you are doing well.

Jim
Old 01-16-17, 10:17 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 2,958 Times in 984 Posts
Love the build. Great story!

Originally Posted by noglider
I never wanted to put drop bars on a mountain bike. Until now.
It can have great results. I had to leave this one in the suburbs, but it turned out great, it was a fun ride:

Last edited by ascherer; 01-16-17 at 10:25 PM.
Old 01-17-17, 08:05 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10971 Post(s)
Liked 7,498 Times in 4,194 Posts
Great frame color!
What model Microshifts are those?...R9? Curious how they perform. Also as mentioned earlier- are the shift cables missing cable ends at the shifter or is that just how the cables naturally route based on the bike's geometry? They seem to go down right away more than out to the middle then down. Interesting routing.
Old 01-17-17, 10:29 AM
SloButWide 
Heck on Wheels

Bikes: In Signature

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott

I knew I was marrying Miss Right. I just didn't know her first name was Always.

Small world, Zorro. The rest of my workgroup is in Mechanicsburg. I head there twice a year. Hopefully if I'm back this summer I'll have time to shop Craigslist.

Bikes so far: 2011 Felt Z85, 80's Raleigh Sovereign (USA), 91 Bianchi Peregrine, 91 Austro-Daimler Pathfinder, 90's Trek 730 Multitrack, STOLEN: 80 Schwinn Voyageur (Japan)

Old 01-17-17, 09:22 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Originally Posted by SloButWide
I knew I was marrying Miss Right. I just didn't know her first name was Always.

Small world, Zorro. The rest of my workgroup is in Mechanicsburg. I head there twice a year. Hopefully if I'm back this summer I'll have time to shop Craigslist.

Small world indeed.
Old 01-17-17, 09:26 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Great frame color!
What model Microshifts are those?...R9? Curious how they perform. Also as mentioned earlier- are the shift cables missing cable ends at the shifter or is that just how the cables naturally route based on the bike's geometry? They seem to go down right away more than out to the middle then down. Interesting routing.

Those are R10's They took a bit to dial in, but on the very short ride I took, they seemed to work pretty well.

I deliberately omitted the ferrule at the lever. The routing looks a bit more different in that picture than it actually is, but the cable stops are pretty tight behind the head tube, and I think that has as much to do with the difference as the absence of ferrules.
Old 01-18-17, 04:23 PM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott

Tell her that logo was invented by Owsley Stanley.

Excellent restoration, BTW.
You mean THE dancing bear? Kid Charlemagne?
Old 01-18-17, 04:47 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2199 Post(s)
Liked 4,618 Times in 1,768 Posts
The first MTB drop bar conversion that I actually like. (Which definitely says more about me than the about bikes). Well done!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.