Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > BMX
Reload this Page >

Looking for a new BMX 22" or Bigger

Search
Notices
BMX Dirt, vert, flatland or street? Drop in the BMX forum to talk to other 20" riders around the world. What is the best BMX bicycle for you? Learn all about it here.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-19, 10:08 AM
smullen

Bikes: Trek 4900, Giant Anthem x 29er 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts

I'm in the market for another BMX. I posted on here somewhere else that I used to be really into BMX as a kid into my Teens. I had GTs and a few other decent names and I was fairly good at several flatland tricks and moves...

I kinda got out of it as I got too big and started driving. 20+ years later, I'm 46, 6'4" 250ish, down from 298. After some health issues, I've been eating a lot better, stopped all soda, really cut back on the alcohol and snacks.
Over all, I am much more active and those things have helped me drop some weight.
In that I have decided I want to get back into riding bikes.

Over the weekend, I was looking at the used bikes on the Face Book sale sections and I found a cheap 20" that had pegs, Gyro style roter, etc... So on an Impulse I bought it. Turns out, I'm way too big for this thing. We're talking Elephant on a Peanut too big..

I need something bigger. But I still want something thats not to big to do Bunny Hops and other flatland tricks on.
I'd like it to have or be able to add Pegs (front and Rear) and a Gyro type roter.

I don't have a set budget. I thinking somewhere around 600ish..

I've found a few I'm interested in, but I'm afraid to pull the trigger. I live in a rural area, so no where in under 2+ hours would have anything I want to look at.

Here are a few I'm intersted in.
1st is the Haro Master Freestyle DMC 24 (won't let me post links yet, as I'm new and have under 10 Posts)
2nd is a SE Racing 24" Quad angle (won't let me post links yet, as I'm new and have under 10 Posts)(just saw this one is not available any more)
Both are at albesDotcom (again with the no links, till 10 posts)
I like the looks and cost of the Haro better of the two. But I'm not 100% sold on either or ready to pull the trigger yet.

I made a few others posts and got up to 10. Now I can post links...

Haro Master Freestyle 24"
SE Racing STR 24 SE Quadangle Not sure I trust the bottom bars now that they are that long and not sure I like the gold rims. I loved the DE Quadangle with Landing Gear Forks I had along time ago.

Last edited by smullen; 09-09-19 at 12:14 PM.
Old 09-09-19, 10:40 AM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts
I can't help you with figuring out what bike to buy. BUT, you and I are in a similar boat. I started riding a bicycle in May after like.... maybe 20 years of not being on one. My wife and I rode when we were first married. We had 2 cruiser bikes my Grandma gave me and we had a nice park with black top trails we road on real close to our house. Then someone stole one of our bikes and I didn't really ride since then. I walked for exercise. Then I got lyme disease and had terrible health problems at 36 years old and it kicked my butt. I'm 47 and am doing a bit better this year than I had in a long time, and we had 1 bike that my daughter and I cleaned up and started riding.

Man was that a blessing and fun. Now all 4 of us have bikes. But I'm riding a girly bike that was the original bike we had. It was my wife's. It's very comfy but I want something more manly to ride around. LOL. I actually don't mind it but I figured if I'm riding regularly, I'm starting to care about my bike. Not that I care what anyone else thinks but I've been working on bikes and I've got the itch to do another one. The way I want it.

I want to do like a bmx / cruiser hybrid. With bigger wheels like 24". So I can just cruise but have the look of a bmx type bike. I don't really feel like I will do any tricks other than the drifting the rear tire on gravel sometimes. But I like the look and uprightness of BMX style bars. What would be cool is some mag rims to have that reminder of when we were kids. Mag wheels were all the rage on BMX bikes, eh? LOL.
Old 09-09-19, 10:49 AM
smullen

Originally Posted by 3S1M
I can't help you with figuring out what bike to buy. BUT, you and I are in a similar boat. I started riding a bicycle in May after like.... maybe 20 years of not being on one. My wife and I rode when we were first married. We had 2 cruiser bikes my Grandma gave me and we had a nice park with black top trails we road on real close to our house. Then someone stole one of our bikes and I didn't really ride since then. I walked for exercise. Then I got lyme disease and had terrible health problems at 36 years old and it kicked my butt. I'm 47 and am doing a bit better this year than I had in a long time, and we had 1 bike that my daughter and I cleaned up and started riding.

Man was that a blessing and fun. Now all 4 of us have bikes. But I'm riding a girly bike that was the original bike we had. It was my wife's. It's very comfy but I want something more manly to ride around. LOL. I actually don't mind it but I figured if I'm riding regularly, I'm starting to care about my bike. Not that I care what anyone else thinks but I've been working on bikes and I've got the itch to do another one. The way I want it.

I want to do like a bmx / cruiser hybrid. With bigger wheels like 24". So I can just cruise but have the look of a bmx type bike. I don't really feel like I will do any tricks other than the drifting the rear tire on gravel sometimes. But I like the look and uprightness of BMX style bars. What would be cool is some mag rims to have that reminder of when we were kids. Mag wheels were all the rage on BMX bikes, eh? LOL.
I hear ya... My GT used to have White kinda a directional looking Mag wheels and one of my friends and I would swap stuff back and fourth, so sometimes I had a Lavender/purplish set of Tuff IIs on it. I though they were the the shizz back then...
Old 09-09-19, 10:52 AM
smullen

On that Haro Freestyler as they call it, It would seem to me that it would come with Pegs and a roter since its made for Freestyling.
I know last year or the year before they had one that had built in fold down Fork Standers, rear frame standers and I think it had a Gyro or a knock off of one... But that dang thing listed for just over a grand.
Old 09-11-19, 03:19 PM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
Planet has smoking deals on big bikes right now. 2019 model clearance. I ordered a Subrosa double top tube 26" after just buying a 2020 Cult 26". There are GT as well. GT are great flatland but the newer FS frames do it all.

Am super impressed by Cult. Was worried Raw would not be my thing (there are colors too) but wanted something different. A d they have Van's tires and grips.

Wheelie a little more effort to get up but easy, manuals not bad, and hops are easy. Not the same as 20", but still fun.
Old 09-11-19, 03:20 PM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
For a 22" I would go Subrosa Malum, I'm biased though, I ride a 20" Subrosa. There are a few other companies that make. DK does the General Lee.