Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

How do you stay productive during weekends?

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Old 03-29-20, 12:13 AM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

more of a life question than a cycling question.. when I was racing, like most, i had to do long weekend rides. when i came back, big meal always followed, and i get absolutely nothing done for the rest of the day. curious how others have managed this. drink coffee? take a nap? ride in the pm? i'd like to start getting back in shape again, but don't want to compromise productivity
Old 03-29-20, 08:09 AM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Heavy dose of guilt usually gets me moving again. And coffee.
Old 03-29-20, 08:24 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
premise is wrong. volume is overrated

plus - but there was a great article by a female entrepreneur about how everything flowed from getting the workout in
Old 03-29-20, 09:09 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2502 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,567 Posts
It sort of depends on how fatigued you are as well. When I'm in shape, doing 3-4 hours of z2 shouldn't ruin the rest of my day, if I'm well fueled and rested. But doing 6+, yeah, I can typically count on being brain dead.

It also kind of depends on what types of things that you wanted to do with the rest of your day. Doing things like laundry, cooking dinner and straightening up the place are easy, important (essential) and don't require too much energy IMO. Neither should socializing or spending time with friends.

Studying for something? Working? Practicing a difficult classical piece on the piano? Yeah, maybe I'd do that before the ride, or on the other weekend day.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 03-29-20, 09:10 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2502 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,567 Posts
On that note, I'm preparing for a technical call I'll have tomorrow at 7 AM so I don't have to do it after a longer ride later. Should take 60-90 min depending on how much time I spend here or on FB.
Old 03-29-20, 10:31 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
I have a wife with a honeydo list, if I start getting too lethargic after she starts getting more pushy. Biggest wakeup I've found so far is to go out for 3hr before lunch, get back and eat lunch with the fam and then we all head out for a 10mi ride; the kids aren't that fast only averaging 10-12mph wind dependent and the lighter ride is good for waking me up and getting me reenergized. So I can function from 2 till crash time around 9.
Old 03-29-20, 12:33 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
I will sometimes work before riding. It becomes easier this time of year as the days are getting longer.

You also don't have to go out and crush a 5hr ride, you can coffee shop pace it and get 95% of the benefits at a third the fatigue.
Old 03-30-20, 07:39 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Well, it's starting to get hot here, which means getting up early and riding earlier. There was a recent discussion on the local listserv about how appropriate is it to be stopping at gas stations for bottle refills and food right now.

Anyway, I've been filling my afternoons with chores around the house. This weekend, I mowed the yard, cleaned up the garage (I train in there, so I pulled out the shop vac to clean up all the dead bugs, cobwebs, dust, and dirt...) and vacuumed and cleaned the inside of my car.

Next weekend, I think I am going to have a load of mulch delivered that I can put out in the yard. It's been about 2 years since I last did mulch and it shows.

I also finally got a Roku to hook up Netflix on my TV, so I ran through the Tiger King. Up next is the Movistar doc.
Old 03-30-20, 08:18 AM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
I typically have a long hard ride on only one of the two weekend days (maybe 2200-3000 kJ, so not long by some peoples standards). After the ride I eat, shower, eat, nap, eat some more and at that point I can be somewhat productive. The day I don't ride hard is for doing something with the significant other (hike, xc-ski) and/or being productive around the house.
Old 03-30-20, 09:57 AM
gerundium

Bikes: BMC

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
When i am really building the fitness the hard weekend rides kill me. When i am already in shape and not trying to really up the volume or intensity i can be quite productive after the rides. I don't remember if i read it here or somewhere else but something about being able to do the laundry after the hard weekend ride signals i am coming into form. i thought that was quaint.
Old 03-31-20, 11:59 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
During peak season (Summer), nothing gets done. Its not just cycling, its 90-110 outside and the ground is rock solid (so no yard work).
Old 04-05-20, 07:01 PM
procrit
carbon is too light

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 157 Posts
I pretty much get laundry going, turn on the roomba, eat lunch, then take a nap. At least things are happening while I’m asleep!