Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

My pump just blows!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

My pump just blows!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-10, 06:25 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
My pump just blows!

And it doesn't inflate! I went to change tubes after flatting, and just could not get the chuck to stay on the valve stem. Upon inspection, the little thingy inside the pump head/nozzle was missing.

What good is a Road Morph G gonna be if a vital piece goes AWOL?
Old 11-13-10, 06:37 PM
531phile 
I'm Carbon Curious

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Contact Topeak and maybe they will send you another one. Some companies are good like that.
Old 11-14-10, 11:23 AM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some clarification is needed. Is it a new pump? It may have come from the manufacturer that way. Did you flip the presta/shrader adaptor and forget to flip it back? I've got 3 TPRM w/gauge and the only problem I've had is the adaptor getting out of round over a period of time from threaded valve stems. Do you use it regularly to 'top off' your tires? Not a good thing as they weren't designed for that purpose. Better to get a floor pump w/a 160 psi limit.

But, +1 to the above post. Contact Topeak, explain your experience and I'm pretty confident they'll send you another one. They've always been very co-operative w/me on a variety of equipment questions.

Not to rub salt, but as an 'experience is the best teacher' encouragement I always carry a CO2 unit in addtion to my frame pump as I've had this exact situation. Same w/a chain tool and a few links.
Old 11-14-10, 12:18 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I bought the pump back in '08 just after getting the bike. Had the LBS configure it for the non-presta valve, and it sat on my bike unused all this time- until 3 weeks ago. Used it to change out a flat (that tube lasted all of two weeks ).

According to Topeak's website, I'll have to call their customer service during regular hours M-F. I'm going to inquire about replacement mounting hardware while I'm at- I want to relocate the pump to the downtube. I took the bracket off of the top tube.

And I have been looking into CO2 systems for the redundancy factor. I'm also looking for a floor pump- the compressor at QT don't seem to cut it anymore...
Old 11-14-10, 04:37 PM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
I bought the pump back in '08 just after getting the bike. Had the LBS configure it for the non-presta valve, and it sat on my bike unused all this time- until 3 weeks ago. Used it to change out a flat (that tube lasted all of two weeks ).

According to Topeak's website, I'll have to call their customer service during regular hours M-F. I'm going to inquire about replacement mounting hardware while I'm at- I want to relocate the pump to the downtube. I took the bracket off of the top tube.

And I have been looking into CO2 systems for the redundancy factor. I'm also looking for a floor pump- the compressor at QT don't seem to cut it anymore...
Just need a couple of wb mount screws. My frame is configured for 2 wbs, but I don't commute a long enough distance to require 2. So, I put my frame pump on the seattube.
Old 11-14-10, 06:00 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nashcommguy
Just need a couple of wb mount screws. My frame is configured for 2 wbs, but I don't commute a long enough distance to require 2. So, I put my frame pump on the seattube.
Yeah, I know I could sacrifice a cage mount, but at the time I didn't want to. My bike has two mounts, both on the down tube- one inside the triangle, the other on the outer, bottom side.10171615..jpg

I added a bottle and cage to that outer position this past summer, and quickly discovered that I prefer to drink water and not chew it. So I keep tire levers, a patch kit, and a multi-tool in that bottle now (seat wedge has the tube and another patch kit).
Old 11-15-10, 07:29 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 49 Posts
I quit carrying pumps a while back, CO 2 inflaters are a lot more convenient.
Old 11-15-10, 11:06 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by irwin7638
+1

i found hand pumps to be useless for the PSI that i run my tires at. the only set-up that makes any sense at all is having a nice floor pump at home for everyday top-offs and a CO2 pump in the saddle bag for emergencies out on the road. once you use a CO2 pump for the first time and inflate a road tire to over 100 PSI in a matter of seconds, you'll never be inclined to use a hand pump again.

Last edited by Steely Dan; 11-15-10 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-15-10, 11:25 AM
SactoDoug
eMail Sold to Spammers

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
I use an air compressor at home. For a frame pump I found that I like the cheap $12 PlanetBike pump at REI to be my favorite. It has the autohead, it has two stages for volumn which you change to single stage for pressure. It is also one of the lightest pumps you can get. I had a flat on my road bike that I inflated two weeks ago with my cheap $12 pump.
Old 11-15-10, 11:59 AM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I know I could sacrifice a cage mount, but at the time I didn't want to. My bike has two mounts, both on the down tube- one inside the triangle, the other on the outer, bottom side.Attachment 178213

I added a bottle and cage to that outer position this past summer, and quickly discovered that I prefer to drink water and not chew it. So I keep tire levers, a patch kit, and a multi-tool in that bottle now (seat wedge has the tube and another patch kit).
Oh, I see you've got a touring frame. No wb boss on the seattube? That's odd. But, you've got your lock mount there anyway, so no room. Maybe, put all your repair equipment in a larger seatbag and get an under wb framepump mount? Just longer screws are needed. That way you could use both wbs as...well wbs. My wife's bike has one that didn't come stock w/t TPRMg that's on her bike. I think it's from an old Blackburn pump. But, it works. W/a strip of velcro it it stays on real snug.

It's fine to just carry CO2 inflators, but the risk of getting a pinch flat is too great for me. My preference is to use a pump and inflators in combo. My TPRMgs go to 160 psi and I run my tires at 120, so I'm covered regardless. The advantage in the TPRMg is that it's built like a small floor pump. And while there's nothing wrong w/a cheap frame pump, when it's freezin' *** cold or full rain the least effort the better. Get started w/t pump and finish w/t CO2 is real quick and consistant. At least, that's been my experience.

The best thing I've done to get a handle on flats is to invest in Schwalbe Mararthon Plus'...but that's a whole other thread.
Old 11-15-10, 01:00 PM
skijor
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 437 Posts
Yeah, I know I could sacrifice a cage mount, but at the time I didn't want to. My bike has two mounts, both on the down tube- one inside the triangle, the other on the outer, bottom side.Attachment 178213

No need. Wrench Force (Trek) makes a mount for the RM-G that mounts behind a WB cage. I use one on my road bike. The WF mount was ~$4 and works great.
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...1#post11380801 Post #44

Last edited by skijor; 11-15-10 at 01:04 PM. Reason: added linky
Old 11-15-10, 01:51 PM
somedood

Bikes: Ibex Xray

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You should buy a new thingy to replace the missing thingy then you won't need a new pump!
Old 11-15-10, 02:00 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I had the same problem with a Topeak minipump, and they wanted to sell me the rebuild kit when it needed one part. I bought it from Performance, and they replaced the part for free. I'm carrying a CO2 cartridge now too.
Old 11-15-10, 02:55 PM
rex_kramer
Acts 2:38

Bikes: '10 Marin Lucas Valley, '13 Scott Speedster 20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently had to change out a tube because the pump end wouldn't stay locked onto the valve. Nothing wrong with the stem other than time and friction seems to have had its way with it.
Old 11-15-10, 03:48 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13659 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by irwin7638
Until you run out of CO2. Pumps never run out of air. Good quality pumps will reach your desired PSI.
Old 11-15-10, 07:56 PM
h. bicycletus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lezyne- - -frame pumps and floor pumps. They thread onto the valve stem rather than press fit a rubber grommet. Their top-end floor pump is the best I've ever had. Also the most expensive but I expect it to last for a very very long time
Old 11-15-10, 08:00 PM
h. bicycletus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
+1

. . . . you'll never be inclined to use a hand pump again.
yeah. . .just make sure you carry more C02 cartridges than you need. Carry only one and have two flats. . .. it's pump time. Have I ever had more than one flat on a ride / commute? Yes. Not often, but it can happen. A pump doesn't weigh much and will get you home when you need it.
Old 11-15-10, 08:43 PM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
^ I always ride with two full cartridges. If I were ever to get more than two flats on my comute, I would be so damn frustrated that I would simply just hail a cab at that point. Just one of the advantages of an urban commute.

Last edited by Steely Dan; 11-15-10 at 08:49 PM.
Old 11-15-10, 10:04 PM
Maxxxie

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse 4 Carbon Feminine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by h. bicycletus
yeah. . .just make sure you carry more C02 cartridges than you need. Carry only one and have two flats. . .. it's pump time. Have I ever had more than one flat on a ride / commute? Yes. Not often, but it can happen. A pump doesn't weigh much and will get you home when you need it.
I had a CO2 dispenser self-destruct as I was inflating the tube. Of course all the CO2 went straight into the atmosphere. Still in denial about it, I tried my second cannister. Same thing. I had to fall back to using the hand pump. Got it up to 100 PSI and rolled off. No way I could've caught a cab home (location and time of day would've meant a 1 hour wait), and the missus was busy cooking dinner and couldn't come get me. I can't tell you how I pleased I was to have my hand pump!

Max