Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Do you guys ever actually ride on the beach?

Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Do you guys ever actually ride on the beach?

Old 08-08-19, 07:52 PM
TestyAnt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Of course. I ride in Pacific Beach, San Diego usually, not sure what the actual beach address is or whatever
Old 08-09-19, 02:33 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Being on the far eastern side of Oregon I can't say I've ever gotten sand in my crank.
Old 08-20-19, 01:41 PM
flatrockmobile

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Sweaty on the jetty. Looking back your way dbf909 toward New Smyrna side of the river
Likes For flatrockmobile:
Old 08-22-19, 02:44 PM
myisland

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Salt water gets inside the wheels and corrodes everything from within.
Old 08-22-19, 03:45 PM
bfuser191509248

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by flatrockmobile
My current ride - a freebee from the inlaw's shed in Lakeport...on Lake Okeechobee

Sweaty on the jetty. Looking back your way dbf909 toward New Smyrna side of the river
Forgot to ask you, frm, is your Schwinn from the 90's? I remember when I bought my Cruiser Deluxe in '94, they had three color options (the two-tone blue like mine; a green/black; and a burgundy/cream along the lines of yours). I've since seen other variations (including the anniversary bikes and such) where the color combinations varied slightly.

Also, it just so happens that we answered a CL ad recently, as we were kind of looking for another cruiser for my wife (her Schwinn is probably from the 80's, and is a little bit road-weary). It was a royal blue and white Schwinn SS with chrome fenders, but the ad didn't say what year it was from. When we tested out the bike, I immediately noticed how light it was. Unfortunately, it turned out to be even more road-weary than the bike she already has (let's just say the guy didn't photograph his rust very well ), so we didn't buy it. When we got home, I did some research and found that it dated to around 2001. Must have had pretty thin chrome plating.
Old 08-22-19, 05:22 PM
flatrockmobile

Idk the year. Could probably figure it out from serial #. It's got Alex X rims so they are most likely after market. My brother in law bought it from a guy that needed money. It wound up in the in law's shed. They told me to take it and another to the beach.
Old 08-23-19, 10:27 AM
flatrockmobile

Idk the year. Could probably figure it out from serial #. It's got Alex X rims so they are most likely after market. My brother in law bought it from a guy that needed money. It wound up in the in law's shed. They told me to take it and another to the beach.
I did find what might be a Serial # on the bottom bracket CSC2J98713 but the online serial lookup didn't help. Has a Made In China sticker also. I've only found a couple of pics online that match, one with same colors, another black with same pattern. No info on either pic. Got me really curious now.

Last edited by flatrockmobile; 08-23-19 at 06:52 PM.
Old 08-23-19, 07:50 PM
dbf909

Bikes: '79 Schwinn LeTour IV, '11 Giant Roam1, '17 Specialized Pitch Comp, '18 Marin Hawk Hill 1, '15 Giant Defy1, '17 Jamis Earth Cruiser1 (x2)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts

Very Nice...

Last Sunday I rode south from my place down into the Park (Canaveral National Seashore), all the way to the end and back. Including the Eldora loop and a couple of other sidetracks down some singletrack trails it was just under 25 miles. A great morning. Unfortunately it was high tide so most of that ride was on the sidewalk/road but normally I'll ride the beach the whole way down and back.
Old 10-07-19, 02:52 PM
H2Orat

Bikes: 1991 Giant Cadex 980c & Co-op Cycles DRT 2.1

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
A heck of a lot of concrete strand riding along the beach with my cruiser but never actually on the sand. I might have to check that out!
Old 12-26-19, 06:40 PM
KITANDTASK
2 WHEELER TRUCKER

Bikes: NEXT BRAND FROM WALMART IN 2006 AND 2008 SCHWINN MESA DISC

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The last time i rode a bike on the beach was like 9 years ago when i still had the schwinn mesa. It is not called a beach cruiser but the tires maybe contributed to being able to ride in the sand for a distance away from the pavement.

It was shorter ride in the sand then 18 miles i think. I got off the bike to lay down and then noticed there was this girl jogging by in a 2 piece and i liked the way her butt looked.