Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

A very interesting article - driver /cyclist crashes

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

A very interesting article - driver /cyclist crashes

Old 06-19-19, 07:19 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by GailT

If she had died, he never would have been charged, as happened in similar case at the same intersection a year earlier:

I'm always amazed at how many BF members tend to blame the cyclist.
Yes. I agree. I don't know if there definately is a trend or my own selectiveness but I read a lot of articles where the driver is charged much lessor offences if the victim is not in a car.
Old 06-19-19, 03:18 PM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
PS The answer is that she did not either wait to see if the driver could see her or yield to the vehicle. Also if he was using the turn refuge with auto traffic it's a stinky idea and I nearly got a ticket for it once.

For the reason that she got hit.

Case closed.
Sorry, I'm not able to understand the meaning of this post, despite re-reading it several times. Can the poster, or anyone else, please explain?
Likes For noimagination:
Old 06-19-19, 07:11 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by noimagination
Sorry, I'm not able to understand the meaning of this post, despite re-reading it several times. Can the poster, or anyone else, please explain?
Well, I would, but sorry, "case closed."

Yeah , I don't have any idea.
Old 06-20-19, 04:41 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Plea deal - Guilty

“June, 17th 2019, Longmont, CO…. Stephen Gray, the driver who hit Triny Willerton on May 8, 2018, plead guilty today in a Longmont court to careless driving causing bodily injury. With that plea he was assessed four points against his license, a $300 fine, 60 hours of community service and will have to complete the bicycle friendly driving course developed by Bicycle Colorado.”

-mr. bill
Old 06-23-19, 08:13 PM
GailT

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by noimagination

The meaning is that RollFast is still blaming the cyclist even after the driver plead guilty. Some people always blame the cyclist regardless of the facts.
Old 06-23-19, 09:17 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by GailT
The meaning is that RollFast is still blaming the cyclist even after the driver plead guilty. Some people always blame the cyclist regardless of the facts.
Nope, I got pulled over and yelled at about it by an officer that gave a damn.

You kids and your conspiracy theories, all I wanted was more T.Rex on You Tube.

I suppose that if you worry that the rest of the world is out to kill you, then there are more sausages, cheese and pickles for the rest of us.

Last edited by Rollfast; 06-23-19 at 09:26 PM.
Old 06-23-19, 09:57 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

No wonder you guys aren't going to change my sheets at the nursing home.

I'm going to die in my sleep in my own bed.
Old 06-24-19, 07:07 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
Nope, I got pulled over and yelled at about it by an officer that gave a damn.

You kids and your conspiracy theories, all I wanted was more T.Rex on You Tube.

I suppose that if you worry that the rest of the world is out to kill you, then there are more sausages, cheese and pickles for the rest of us.
So, let's see, the police decide it was the driver's fault, the driver admits it was his fault, and pleads guilty, and we're the people with conspiracy theories because we believe it's the driver's fault? He crossed a double yellow line to strike her as she executed a lawful turn. How exactly was she supposed to anticipate that?

BTW, your writing is atrocious, and I can't decipher what you are trying to say about half of the time.
Old 06-24-19, 08:00 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,342 Times in 931 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
First, there is zero proof that helmets help in car/bike collisions ... everybody acts like it is obvious ... like it is "obvious" that the Earth is flat.
There are car/bike collisions that helmets can't do anything for (there are bike-only crashes where they can't do anything). If there are bike-only crashes where bicycle helmets do help, then there are bike/car crashes where they help. You are making the mistake of assuming that every bike/car crash exceeds where helmets might be useful.

Second, you seem to miss the point---whether or not the cyclist was wearing a helmet is IRRELEVANT, because the cyclist was hit by the car. Wearing a helmet would not have Prevented the Collision. But to mention whether the rider was wearing a helmet tends to shift Responsibility for the Collision to the cyclist. And unless you wear football shoulder pads, knee-pads, elbow pads, and wrist guards ... you aren't trying.
Yes, the idea is to prevent collisions from happening in the first place.

In fact, why not require all bicyclists to wear motorcycle helmets? We know there would be a greater survival rate, right? If you want to play that game, I will play harder. If cyclists need to wear helmets, forget these cheesy dixie-cups-inside-solo-cups crap.
You should really want to outlaw bicycling and motorcycling.

Most cycling helmets are useless at speeds of over 15 mph, and most of us ride faster than that. Get serious or drop the whole topic.
It's probably not binary like you assume. You have no idea whether they are useless at 16 or 17 mph crashes (not all crashes at those speeds yield impacts of those speeds).

People look right past bikes ... and people look right past motorcycles (ask a buddy who rides one.) And as for Hi-Viz, most motorcycle headlights are brighter than car headlights. I don't think your danger-orange vest is beating out a 2000-candlepower beam in terms of being eye-catching... but people look right past motorcycles.
This is dumb. You know that nothing is perfect. The fact that something like Hi-Viz or headlights "don't work all the time" does not mean people are not better off having those things.

Hardly the same situation .... and all the hi-viz and reflective material wouldn't help. If the car has no lights at night it wouldn't see reflective, high-contrast, or fluorescent materials.
You keep basing your arguments on an "either/or" binary assumption. This clothing tends to be light and is more visible at longer distances than black is in ambient light. Cars having "no lights" is a relatively rare occurrence. The fact that something isn't perfect doesn't mean one wouldn't be better-off using it.

Last edited by njkayaker; 06-24-19 at 08:39 AM.
Old 06-24-19, 08:17 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,342 Times in 931 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
...but I find cars with a single headlight to be extremely difficult to accurately gauge road position, or whether they are a car or a motorcycle.
A single headlight (likely) also tends to suggest a smaller vehicle (a motorcycle rather than a car).

Originally Posted by CliffordK
I believe the laws require all modern cars to have rear and side reflectors.
These don't seem to be what people are noticing, at night, about moving vehicles (that is, the reflectors appear to be more for parked/stationary cars).

Last edited by njkayaker; 06-24-19 at 08:35 AM.
Old 06-24-19, 08:55 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
Studies (believe them if you like) show that the number-one indicator of a bicycle for a driver is a pedal reflector or a light on the ankle.

Some lighting give s some chance that a driver will know there is Something ahead.

Again, it rests on the driver. idiots and mule-holes will endanger others accidentally or out of spite, most drivers will avoid incidents.

Don't really care what other cyclists do .... like the rest of you, I have a set-up which makes me feel safe enough and so far I haven't been killed. We could always mount more lights .... and after an accident, should one happen, we can always wonder if more lights (or some other thing) might have made a difference.

As with bike locks, most of what we are buying is peace of mind and a little bit of protection against the the majority of drivers, which may or may not even be needed. (After all, I am sure many of us have spotted ninja riders in our headlights and taken avoidance actions .... )
Old 06-24-19, 08:50 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
How different will these arguments be if the victim was in a car? Would the issue of her wearing a seat belt or her car being hi-viz colour be relevant regarding being struck by a car?
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 06-25-19, 11:39 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
meanwhile, if the front of your vehicle strikes another auto, you're assumed to be at fault by your insurance company

I recently couldn't make this left when I wanted to. I think my 2 mirrors helped me know that even tho I saw 2 cars when I turned my head there was a 3rd. this one

& here's a clip of my Wife at a road crossing - never looks left! but, in my opinion, there is a very real threat potential. I think I need to ride in front. she hates it when I give her cycling advice

Last edited by rumrunn6; 06-25-19 at 01:09 PM.
Old 06-25-19, 01:18 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I found this interesting right out of the gate.

After signaling with her arm, she started to turn left onto North 65th Avenue. Midturn, “I bounced off the grill of a brand-new Ford F-150,” she recalled.

It seems she skipped a critical safety step.
Head check and ACT on what you see.
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 06-25-19, 02:31 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Yeah, why even bother looking back, or signalling. If they're gonna hit ya, they're gonna hit ya, right?

I suppose she could have noticed, "Hey this guy isn't slowing down. Abort turn, abort!" I need to do that almost every day, if I see someone barrelling toward me and am not sure if they saw me, I assume they didn't see me, and get out of the way. What is the point of even looking back, if you are not gonna act on what you see? Or do such an inept job of looking back, that you don't see the car that ultimately hits you. That's not an excuse, it's borderline negligence.
What kind of nonsense is this? Really? Using your logic, it would be impossible to execute a turn on anything but a completely empty roadway.

Expecting drivers behind you to stop is reasonable, and expecting them not to try to pass you on the left while turning left is beyond reasonable. If you try to operate with the assumption that any driver is capable of pulling such a ridiculously dangerous maneuver, you will never be able to travel.

Originally Posted by njkayaker
A single headlight (likely) also tends to suggest a smaller vehicle (a motorcycle rather than a car).
Triumph had an issue some years ago because they had dual headlights mounted horizontally on the front of some of their motorcycles. When both lights were on, it gave some people the impression that it was a car far in the distance, rather than a motorcycle at a much closer distance.
Old 06-25-19, 02:56 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
If you try to operate with the assumption that any driver is capable of pulling such a ridiculously dangerous maneuver, you will never be able to travel.

This. Just this. Really.

For *every* blame-the-victim thread here, this.

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 06-27-19, 06:56 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Originally Posted by livedarklions
So, let's see, the police decide it was the driver's fault, the driver admits it was his fault, and pleads guilty, and we're the people with conspiracy theories because we believe it's the driver's fault? He crossed a double yellow line to strike her as she executed a lawful turn. How exactly was she supposed to anticipate that?

BTW, your writing is atrocious, and I can't decipher what you are trying to say about half of the time.
Neener, neener.
Old 06-27-19, 06:58 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Thread is done now.