Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tubulars for JRA

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tubulars for JRA

Old 07-06-19, 09:20 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by jideta
Seems like a lot of folks here selling their tubular wheels.
Based on what I've read here, not sure its something I wanna try.
Tires are also kinda expensive.
I have two road bikes running 25s, but lately I've riding my other bike with 32s.
I ride a mix of pavement, sidewalk and MUP with some park grass mixed in.
Tubulars, yay or nay?
Why are people even mentioning 800gm wheel sets and the like?
How is this relevant in any way to what the OP outlines?
Old 07-06-19, 11:13 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
Why are people even mentioning 800gm wheel sets and the like?
How is this relevant in any way to what the OP outlines?
OP mentioned 32 clinchers. Seems about the same as 25 tubulars in robustness at much less mass. Mass matters in cycling.

That 800g wheel set may be more robust than what the OP is riding.

You don't ride tubulars, do you?
Old 07-06-19, 11:33 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
OP mentioned 32 clinchers. Seems about the same as 25 tubulars in robustness at much less mass. Mass matters in cycling.

That 800g wheel set may be more robust than what the OP is riding.

You don't ride tubulars, do you?
I do have several sets of tubulars.
The point is the OP is just riding around on sidewalks, MUP, grass parks!
I also feel much more confident thrashing along a gravel road with a 32mm clincher than I do on 25mm tubs.
Likes For Dean V:
Old 07-07-19, 12:59 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Yeah, so?
Old 07-07-19, 06:02 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
Tubeless. Mavic UST.
Old 07-07-19, 06:05 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Since when does jra involve sidewalks? Lol.
Old 07-07-19, 06:43 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Me thinks you need me to glue you up some race wheels - or borrow juniors. Center glue does nothing but adds weight and makes a mess if the sides are glued well.
I've glued and raced tubulars for a decade.

Again, gluing affects rolling resistance. If you can just pull your tires off by hand willy-nilly, there's likely a lot more rolling resistance.

I take efforts to ensure my tires are completely glued on, from edge of the rim to edge of the rim, and middle, too.

Rolling resistance is far, far, far more crucial than a few extra grams in the middle of the wheel bed.
Old 07-07-19, 06:46 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts

You often point out the talent card junior has that I don't play, there is an equipment advantage too. He's riding wheels that are 30% lighter than what anyone else has and ride better.
I don't think that's nearly the advantage you think it is. And ride better is... well, subjective.
Old 07-07-19, 09:25 AM
Doge

I also feel much more confident thrashing along a gravel road with a 32mm clincher than I do on 25mm tubs.
You saw I posted the ones on the tandem. They are about 29mm. They are over 800g too, But the same technology used in light wheels is used in the heavier ones.
If riding around industrial waste of metal, glass etc., or goat head thorns, you're going to flat so go cheap and easy. If around dirt, rocks, grass the appropriate tubulars are going to ride like a larger clincher with far less weight.

Go into awful stuff and tubulars again might be the tire. Cobbles and cx mud, they are an excellent choice.

Last edited by Doge; 07-07-19 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-07-19, 09:47 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Honolulu streets swept free of debris, regularly ?

for the 32 . people willing to pay what they cost, rave about the Compass/Rene Herse tires .

for the 23, why not feel the ride the pros all prefer ? .. buy a lot so you always carry a spare tire.

Maybe extra wheels glued up and ready..

you will just get to spend a day mending punctures re stitching casings gluing down base tapes , occasionally

like has been done by your pre- inter- net predecessors.. & race heros ..

Old 07-07-19, 11:24 AM
Doge

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
I've glued and raced tubulars for a decade.

Again, gluing affects rolling resistance. If you can just pull your tires off by hand willy-nilly, there's likely a lot more rolling resistance.

I take efforts to ensure my tires are completely glued on, from edge of the rim to edge of the rim, and middle, too.

Rolling resistance is far, far, far more crucial than a few extra grams in the middle of the wheel bed.
I mentioned some American designed rims for this reason. I recall my ENVE and know the Mercury cx have quite a deep valley - maybe 2mm below the edges. I don't think the 25/26 (actual) tires really hit that valley at race pressure. Of course cx is running in the real low pressure zones.

The rolling resistance comes from movement. The older glues were more higher viscosity goo. Red Vittoria used to melt under braking on the tandem. I went to 3M fast tack (77 precursor) for heat. Now Mastic 1 is real strong bonding. I don't think the center is moving at all if the edges are well glued.

I can see a clincher being a choice for smooth roads as in a TT. They still seat better than most tubulars and might roll better than most tubulars.
OT for JRA - but you can get tubulars made with silk, without case coating. Glued right. I doubt any clincher would roll better.

I do go out of the way to ensure the best seating possible, and no movement. This may not be needed, but what I do for a competition set.

Last edited by Doge; 07-07-19 at 02:18 PM.
Likes For Doge:
Old 07-07-19, 02:34 PM
Doge

In the 32, 33 mm you are now at cx sizes. When it comes to the nastiest environments - sidewalks, grass parks, mud, rocks, sand the toughest tires are what the racers that do that ride.

I doubt any 32mm clincher setup (rim and all) will be within 400g of an equally tough cross set.

Again - glass, thorns (some) wires, screws can ruin any tire. If you ride in industrial trash areas don't bother.

There are $35 tubulars out there. I understand the wheels need to be purchased first, but they are not as expensive as folks let on and a $35 tubular on a tubular rim will likely be less than the cost of equal performance clincher.
Old 07-07-19, 02:51 PM
Doge

OP - as you are JRA - look at a Roubaix type tire ~27 mm. There are some inexpensive ones ~$60 and some fancy ones at twice that. Weight will be <350g.
There are a pile of options here (and other brands as well): https://worldclasscycles.com/product-category/tubulars/
@rubiksoval you may appreciate this. I generally had the tires made for junior. I'd spec them, and Francois would make them. Francois would send me blury pictures of the progress. It was great fun. We'd get them made with stamps and naming we wanted.

Anyway I'd compare suppleness to some of the better clinchers. I'd do slow speed video of how they grabbed and rolled on corners. The tubulars needed 75% the rubber patch of a clincher as in a hard corner, the case would roll / tire deform and the tread was always rubber down.
Here is a pic of two equally inflated tires - a Veloflex master 25 and a custom silk FMB without coating. The difference is apparent. How that rides is subjective but different enough the rider knew what they were without looking.
Likes For Doge:
Old 07-08-19, 09:53 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
That's neat way to compare the suppleness of two tyres.
Old 07-09-19, 04:17 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by Kimmo
That's neat way to compare the suppleness of two tyres.
Mostly off topic for this thread, but some applies. The case material matters a whole bunch. That includes JRA and performance racing.

Tread that will not touch the ground mostly slows you down. Better go with a more durable case than the typical department store vulcanized rubber on the side.
If you are going to get things poking your sidewalls get thicker/different material sidewalls. Polyimide started being used for sidewall and casing late 80s and that stuff is tough. I think Conti weave it in most tires. Many cheaper tires use nylon.

Some makers put like Kevlar (can't think of the brand) and Graphene (Vittoria) and metal belts under the tread, but basically you don't really want that stuff flexing much unless trying to increase your workout. It is less than ideal for sidewalls.
When someone is using a wrap around rummer (usually vulcanized) tire case I often suggest they inflate them a little more to minimize case flex which is really a shock absorbent material that robs energy and builds heat. Cotton tires ride well, and cut easily. Silk rides better, is harder to cut and falls apart when wet.

Moral of the story is the same for JRA or racing or specialty. What is best depends on what you are trying to do. You will generally get better for more money, but a $100+ silk isn't going to do as well as a Gatorskin costing less for JRA.
Old 07-09-19, 09:51 PM
gorillimo

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Specialized Enduro Pro, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 94 Posts
Wolber Invinerables. Kevlar belted. Use them for everything except racing on my Colnago rarely flatted in a lot of years of riding
Old 07-10-19, 05:53 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by gorillimo
Wolber Invinerables. Kevlar belted. Use them for everything except racing on my Colnago rarely flatted in a lot of years of riding
Where can you buy them?