Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Huffy Windsprint value

Old 07-16-19, 05:21 AM
Bizquick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Huffy Windsprint value

Looking at a Huffy Windsprint in my area. The bike looks like it will need to be serviced and the tires need replacement. The frame is in good condition with minimal scratching. The only examples I can see online are going for close to 1000.00. She is asking 75.00. But I already have 7 bikes so I only want to refurbish and flip the bike. Is it a money maker? I can't post a picture since this is my first post. It looks just like the windsprint currently selling for 999.00 if you Google huffy windsprint as of today. Thanks in advance for any advice provided.
Old 07-16-19, 05:28 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
Anything over $40 for a Windsprint in absolutely perfect, ridable condition is ridiculous. They're terrible big-box store abominations that make Soviet-era roadbikes look like high quality, and they weren't particularly expensive when new.

The fact that anyone fawns over them at all is sorely misplaced nostalgia. At best, they're an extremely cheap 3-speed style roadster bike fitted with drop bars by Huffy to make them look racelike - and they're still only worth $40 if mint.

They don't show up on eBay for sane prices because intelligent sellers see no reason to ship them and have discovered that there is no market to buy them. The only reason the sellers asking $1k and $500/499 continue to persevere is because they're the only ones deluded enough to believe in their price to keep listing for years on end. At least two of those sellers are simple copycats who were not smart enough to do the legwork of checking sources other than eBay (or completed auctions).

Now if these sellers had searched the rest of the internet, they would have discovered a dose of reality:

Sold for $9: https://bidbidauctions.hibid.com/lot...12-speed-bike/
Sold for $17: https://www.k-bid.com/auction/6532/item/51
Asking $40: https://seminole-pa.americanlisted.c..._25621851.html
Asking $10: https://us.letgo.com/en/i/vintge-12-...8-f1ef7df8e927
Sold for $10: https://offerup.com/item/detail/381165711/

If you think you're going to Jordan Belfort yourself on old bicycles, you're barking up the wrong tree. Unless you can find a Colnago Super for $75, your days of $975 profits are not happening.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 07-16-19 at 05:48 AM.
Likes For cudak888:
Old 07-16-19, 05:51 AM
Bizquick

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cudak888
Anything over $40 for a Windsprint is ridiculous. They're terrible big-box store abominations that make Soviet-era roadbikes look like high quality, and they weren't particularly expensive when new.

If you think you're going to Jordan Belfort yourself on old bicycles, you're barking up the wrong tree. Unless you can find a Colnago Super for $75, your days of $975 profits are not happening.

-Kurt
Thank you for the feedback. I'm a general contractor. Large profits isn't my goal. Being able to tinker with bikes(my hobby) and make a small profit was my goal. The bicycles listed for these prices aren't selling? I'm just trying to find the groove so I can continue to tinker with new bikes without hoarding. Customers can be incredibly annoying and unrealistic so I have no interest in being a bicycle mechanic.
Old 07-16-19, 05:55 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by Bizquick
Thank you for the feedback. I'm a general contractor. Large profits isn't my goal. Being able to tinker with bikes(my hobby) and make a small profit was my goal. The bicycles listed for these prices aren't selling? I'm just trying to find the groove so I can continue to tinker with new bikes without hoarding. Customers can be incredibly annoying and unrealistic so I have no interest in being a bicycle mechanic.
Exactly what I said: This bicycle is not worth over $40 in mint condition. No, those ludicrously overpriced ones on eBay are not selling.

If you want to flip to satisfy the desire to tinker, there's a Bike Flipping 101 thread sticky at the top of this subforum. It should give some insight.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 07-16-19 at 06:10 AM.
Old 07-16-19, 06:18 AM
Bizquick

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The strait forward feedback is excellent. I have used the vintage value thread for bikes in the past. I decided I wanted to participate in more discussion. Thanks for the help Kurt.
Old 07-16-19, 06:31 AM
Lucillle
Lucille

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 35 Posts
The only examples I can see online are going for close to 1000.00.
I don't think that was a serious ad.
Old 07-16-19, 07:36 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by Lucillle
I don't think that was a serious ad.
There’s one for $999 and two for ~$499 on eBay right now. At least one of the three sellers is likely to be serious (and delusional).

-Kurt
Old 07-16-19, 09:02 AM
Bizquick

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There’s one for $999 and two for ~$499 on eBay right now. At least one of the three sellers is likely to be serious (and delusional).

-Kurt
Hahah fair enough. I have no intention of taking advantage of peoples ignorance. almost any vintage bike looks beautiful when clean. That doesn't mean they have much value.
Old 07-16-19, 09:56 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 1,706 Times in 620 Posts
Exactly what I said: This bicycle is not worth over $40 in mint condition. No, those ludicrously overpriced ones on eBay are not selling.

If you want to flip to satisfy the desire to tinker, there's a Bike Flipping 101 thread sticky at the top of this subforum. It should give some insight.

-Kurt
As point of reference pretty much anything with stem or down tube shifter's and steel wheels will be pretty much a no sell for anything over $100 so basically not flip worthy even if you get them for free.
Old 07-16-19, 11:46 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 957 Times in 624 Posts
"Going for" or "Asking for"??? Seller can "ask" any ridiculous price they want. Asking does not equal selling and should never be used to establish value.

If I ask $20 for a $10 bill, does that mean a $10 bill is going for $20? If so, I am heading to the bank and doubling my money!! Woo hoo!! Wonder if the bank will give me $20 for every $10 bill if I show them the eBay listing?

If I saw a Huffy Windsprint for $10, I'd buy it and donate to the local co op (so I would lose $10 on it). The co op might rescue a couple of parts off of it, sometimes they will scrap it.

"Thank you for the feedback. I'm a general contractor. Large profits isn't my goal. Being able to tinker with bikes(my hobby) and make a small profit was my goal. The bicycles listed for these prices aren't selling? I'm just trying to find the groove so I can continue to tinker with new bikes without hoarding. Customers can be incredibly annoying and unrealistic so I have no interest in being a bicycle mechanic."

1. Large profits are not possible on bikes. OK, you can get lucky once or twice, but beyond that, nope.

2. Tinkering costs $$, for parts and consumables.

3. Tinkering on junk and you will lose money on every one of them.

4. Tinker on something good, and you can break even, maybe make a little, (if you buy it at a low price), before accounting for your time.

5. Tinkering on junky bikes can get very frustrating, very quickly. Pot metal and plastic brakes, stuff never made to be fixed, etc.

The average vintage used bike is going to need tires, tubes, chain, freewheel, bar tape, saddle, cables, housings, maybe pedals, anything with bearings disassembled, cleaned, and degreased, etc. Surprises just increase your costs. So if I start with a $50 bike, add $75 in parts and consumables, put four hours of time into it, I might be able to sell it for $150, $200 tops. One or two surprises, and your parts spend goes up to $100, maybe $125. Profit then goes to zero or negative. And I need a pile of tools, and I have to buy consumables at low prices (no going to the local bike shop to buy stuff, or I can't break even).

Last edited by wrk101; 07-16-19 at 11:58 AM.
Likes For wrk101:
Old 07-22-19, 09:40 PM
jmlandry77

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Crave, 2018 Fuji Tahoe, 1989? Nishiki International, SOLD Miyata 712, SOLD Stumpjumpers- several, SOLD Specialized Sirrus, SOLD Raleigh Technium, SOLD Lemond Zurich...

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
"They're terrible big-box store abominations that make Soviet-era roadbikes look like high quality"

"Working on junk can be fusterating... Pot metal plastic junk brakes..."

LOL! Thank you for giving me a good laugh! Made my night. Truth hurts sometimes!
Likes For jmlandry77:
Old 07-22-19, 09:48 PM
jmlandry77

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Crave, 2018 Fuji Tahoe, 1989? Nishiki International, SOLD Miyata 712, SOLD Stumpjumpers- several, SOLD Specialized Sirrus, SOLD Raleigh Technium, SOLD Lemond Zurich...

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Also brings me back to a memory. back in the early 80s my sister had a red huffy and I will never forget it had a Shimano positron? RD with plastic stem mounted levers.

The hugest POS in the world. I must have spent eight hours trying to adjust that derailleur so it would shift properly. Pure junk and frustration!

Years of observation has taught me how to spot a good quality bike. Mostly anything that says Huffy on it is not*.

I think Huffy sponsored some road race teams back in the 80s or 90s. Obviously they outsource their bikes. finding a huffy team bike would be an interesting anomaly.
Likes For jmlandry77:
Old 07-22-19, 11:20 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
At every co-op I've volunteered at, unless it was literally ready to ride it would go straight to scrap.

If it was literally ready to ride (including road-worthy tires) it would be a $20 bike, and I would personally steer any interested party in another direction.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 07-23-19, 05:36 AM
Bizquick

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I inquired about this particular models value since I couldn't find anything about it. Yes the ludacris "asking price" peaked my interest. I dont buy cheap bikes to sell that need anything. If they do need something it would be tires and or grip tape. Seems like common sense to anyone who has ever purchased a bicycle part.

Originally Posted by wrk101
"Going for" or "Asking for"??? Seller can "ask" any ridiculous price they want. Asking does not equal selling and should never be used to establish value.

If I ask $20 for a $10 bill, does that mean a $10 bill is going for $20? If so, I am heading to the bank and doubling my money!! Woo hoo!! Wonder if the bank will give me $20 for every $10 bill if I show them the eBay listing?
So It was made clear that the bike doesn't have value and is a low end bicycle.

I decided to buy the bicycle anyway for 25.00. I spent about an hour and a half cleaning the bike, adjusting the brakes, and listing it for sale. The bike was purchased for 75.00 in 30hrs. So I guess I went into a bank with 25.00 asked for 75.00 and they gave it to me. I would have made more money per hour working. However I enjoyed the process so it wasn't work to me.
Old 07-23-19, 02:36 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
I inquired about this particular models value since I couldn't find anything about it. Yes the ludacris "asking price" peaked my interest. I dont buy cheap bikes to sell that need anything. If they do need something it would be tires and or grip tape. Seems like common sense to anyone who has ever purchased a bicycle part.

So It was made clear that the bike doesn't have value and is a low end bicycle.

I decided to buy the bicycle anyway for 25.00. I spent about an hour and a half cleaning the bike, adjusting the brakes, and listing it for sale. The bike was purchased for 75.00 in 30hrs. So I guess I went into a bank with 25.00 asked for 75.00 and they gave it to me. I would have made more money per hour working. However I enjoyed the process so it wasn't work to me.
Right, there is certainly value in spending the time to learn and familiarize yourself with a cheap bike, as it makes you more capable when you come across a better project. As others have said, though, be careful with things like this because it was lucky you found someone who had $75 to use on this instead of a higher-quality bike.

If tou you can get a better example for your next project,, you’ll see the difference and if the bike never sells, at least you have a keeper-worthy rider or parts bike and more current-state repair experience.
Likes For Charliekeet:
Old 07-23-19, 03:45 PM
Bizquick

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Charliekeet
Right, there is certainly value in spending the time to learn and familiarize yourself with a cheap bike, as it makes you more capable when you come across a better project. As others have said, though, be careful with things like this because it was lucky you found someone who had $75 to use on this instead of a higher-quality bike.

If tou you can get a better example for your next project,, you’ll see the difference and if the bike never sells, at least you have a keeper-worthy rider or parts bike and more current-state repair experience.
That was eloquently put. Thank you. I understand the process. Just simply wanted to know if there was something special I was missing. Nope, it was a low end bike and I treated it as such. Besides no persons response considered my geographical market. And they definitely dont know my ability to market/sell. It really just sounded like people speaking from their own disappointments and failures. Unconstructive drivel if you ask me.
Old 07-23-19, 03:51 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by downtube42
At every co-op I've volunteered at, unless it was literally ready to ride it would go straight to scrap.

If it was literally ready to ride (including road-worthy tires) it would be a $20 bike, and I would personally steer any interested party in another direction.
The brakes on these are so bad that it could be new old stock and still not be "ready to ride" by any stretch of the imagination. Safely, anyway.

Well said though. Couldn't agree more.

That was eloquently put. Thank you. I understand the process. Just simply wanted to know if there was something special I was missing. Nope, it was a low end bike and I treated it as such. Besides no persons response considered my geographical market. And they definitely dont know my ability to market/sell. It really just sounded like people speaking from their own disappointments and failures. Unconstructive drivel if you ask me.
Why did you need us if you know your market so well?

Furthermore, if you know it so well, why didn't you volunteer this information when you knew you were withholding information that would be helpful to us in providing you an answer?

Not a single comment here was deserving of that passive aggressive remark. Un-constructive drivel? Look in the mirror at your own rude remark.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 07-23-19 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-23-19, 04:27 PM
Bizquick

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The brakes on these are so bad that it could be new old stock and still not be "ready to ride" by any stretch of the imagination. Safely, anyway.

Well said though. Couldn't agree more.

Why did you need us if you know your market so well?

Furthermore, if you know it so well, why didn't you volunteer this information when you knew you were withholding information that would be helpful to us in providing you an answer?

Not a single comment here was deserving of that passive aggressive remark. Un-constructive drivel? Look in the mirror at your own rude remark.

-Kurt
I'm sorry you felt your help was included Kurt. I couldn't remember your name to exclude so I left it alone. I felt my thank you response would have helped you know I wasn't referring to your comments. I needed help with a rough value of the Windsprint. And your comment on referring to the buying and selling thread was helpful and noted. I wasn't looking for information on the market or silly and rude remarks stating general principles and common sense. I apologize if you felt included and offended Kurt.
Likes For Bizquick:
Old 07-23-19, 04:45 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

I'm sorry you felt your help was included Kurt. I couldn't remember your name to exclude so I left it alone. I felt my thank you response would have helped you know I wasn't referring to your comments. I needed help with a rough value of the Windsprint. And your comment on referring to the buying and selling thread was helpful and noted. I wasn't looking for information on the market or silly and rude remarks stating general principles and common sense. I apologize if you felt included and offended Kurt.
No hard feelings then. Thanks for the clarification.

-Kurt

Old 07-24-19, 06:33 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
one of the worst parts of my bike mechanic career was working on Free Spirits, Huffys, AMFs and other bike shaped objects. So I was pretty happy to see a mint Free Spirit on the metal recycling pile at my local bike shop. Life is too short to work on bikes like that, it often isn't really possible to make them safe and they are miserable to ride.
Likes For unterhausen: