Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Can Garmin Edge explore reverse a "Course"?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-19, 02:34 PM
DCwom

Bikes: Burley Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts

I was in need of reversing a route this weekend but couldn't find a way. Numerous google searches talk about reversing a route in an Edge 800, 1000, etc. However my Gamin Edge Explore has "courses" not routes. Does anyone know if its possible on the Explore?
Old 07-15-19, 12:27 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
My edge 800 has courses. Don't see how to reverse a course on an 800 though. I usually do it ahead of time on ride with gps.
Old 07-15-19, 01:43 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,170 Posts
In theory yes.

And according to the manual (page 3) - Home - Where To ? - Back to Start.

I've never used it.
Old 07-15-19, 02:11 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4244 Post(s)
Liked 1,348 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
In theory yes.

And according to the manual (page 3) - Home - Where To ? - Back to Start.

I've never used it.
That's different.

"Back to Start" retraces your recorded ride (it doesn't use a course at all).

There isn't an option to reverse a course on the 1030.
Old 07-15-19, 02:15 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by DCwom
I was in need of reversing a route this weekend but couldn't find a way. Numerous google searches talk about reversing a route in an Edge 800, 1000, etc. However my Gamin Edge Explore has "courses" not routes. Does anyone know if its possible on the Explore?
Garmin uses the term "course". People commonly use the term "route". These are files loaded onto the device. Ridewithgps calls them "routes".

There isn't an option to reverse a course (at least, not on the 1030).

You can have the unit reverse your recorded ride ("Back to start").

The recorded ride (what shows up as a light blue line) is what Garmin calls an "activity".

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-15-19 at 06:11 PM.
Old 07-15-19, 02:17 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
For Strava, no audio, I use routes some, but don't really care which direction they lead.

I suppose audio route cues would be different. But for visual, one can follow the line easily enough either direction (and hopefully deal with one-way streets).
Old 07-15-19, 02:52 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by njkayaker
That's different.

"Back to Start" retraces your recorded ride (it doesn't use a course at all).

There isn't an option to reverse a course on the 1030.
Well, assuming the OP was following a route, or in Garmin speak a Course. Back to start will follow the Course, which should also be the recorded ride.

But it’s all semantics.
Old 07-15-19, 05:36 PM
njkayaker

Well, assuming the OP was following a route, or in Garmin speak a Course.
He used "route" twice in his post.

Back to start will follow the Course, which should also be the recorded ride.
The "Back to Start" doesn't need a course. It has nothing to do with courses.

The recorded ride won't necessarily follow the course at all. The recorded ride will never follow the course exactly.

But it’s all semantics.
It's not "semantics".

It's being clear about how things work.

If people know that "back to start" is based on the recorded ride, they won't look for it as feature of a course (which is what the OP was doing).

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-15-19 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-15-19, 05:53 PM
Steve B.

He used "route" twice in his post.

The "Back to Start" doesn't need a course. It has nothing to do with courses.

The recorded ride won't necessarily follow the course at all. The recorded ride will never follow the course exactly.

It's not "semantics".

It's being clear about how things work.

If people know that "back to start" is based on the recorded ride, they won't look for it as feature of a course (which is what the OP was doing).
We don’t know exactly what the OP is referring to as a Route. I assumed it was the route he had followed as a recorded ride only and not a Course, as he seems to have been unclear as to how Garmin uses the term. If he had been clear and was following a Course then he was obviously aware of the term as he would have had to get that Course onto the Explore in order to follow it.

Semantics refers to the meaning of a word. Possibly the OP is unclear that some apps such as RideWithGPS refers to a pre-defined and planned ride as a “Route”, where as Garmin calls this a “Course”, same meaning, different word.

If the OP was following a “Route” as generated by RWGPS or a Course as generated by Garmin Connect, it’s likely the recorded ride would be following the Route/Course, probably closely enough to be able to use the back to start function. Unless he deviated from the Course, thus the Return To Start would follow the deviated recorded track (or Route as he calls it) at least that’s how I believe that Garmin feature works. Never used it, might be wrong.

But as always it’s a typical argument with you that gets absurd especially as the OP has not chimed with any clarification, likely as his question was answered. I’ll await any follow up from DC if he chooses to clarify.

Last edited by Steve B.; 07-15-19 at 06:02 PM.
Old 07-15-19, 06:08 PM
njkayaker

We don’t know exactly what the OP is referring to as a Route. I assumed it was the route he had followed as a recorded ride only and not a Course, as he seems to have been unclear as to how Garmin uses the term. If he had been clear and was following a Course then he was obviously aware of the term as he would have had to get that Course onto the Explore in order to follow it.
Yes, we don't know exactly what the OP is referring to.

That's why I pointed out how the terms were used and that the feature was related to a recorded ride (an activity) and not a course/route.

But it’s all semantics.
I can't tell whether you are saying the meanings matter or they don't.

Semantics refers to the meaning of a word. Possibly the OP is unclear that some apps such as RideWithGPS refers to a pre-defined and planned ride as a “Route”, where as Garmin calls this a “Course”, same meaning, different word.
Meanings (how the words are generally used) matter. Otherwise, people are going to be confused about what they are reading. That's why I talked about their meanings.

If the OP was following a “Route” as generated by RWGPS or a Course as generated by Garmin Connect, it’s likely the recorded ride would be following the Route/Course, probably closely enough to be able to use the back to start function. Unless he deviated from the Course, thus the Return To Start would follow the deviated recorded track (or Route as he calls it) at least that’s how I believe that Garmin feature works.
The "back to start" feature follows the recorded ride (activity) whether or not you are using a course and whether or not you follow the course.

Deviations (small or large) are fairly common. If people think the return route follows the course, then they will be confused when the return route doesn't follow the course.

The "back to start" feature can be useful when you are not using a course.

Never used it, might be wrong.
And, oddly, you are arguing about it.

I have used it.

But as always it’s a typical argument with you that gets absurd
You are talking about a feature you haven't used and know little about. That's what is absurd.

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-15-19 at 07:23 PM.
Old 07-15-19, 07:21 PM
njkayaker

On the 1030, when you are recording a ride, a "Back to Start" item is added at the top of the "Navigation" menu.

That gives two options:

1- back along the recorded path.
2- most direct route.

Note that this works without using a course.
Old 07-16-19, 11:34 AM
tunavic

Bikes: '12 BMC Road Racer, Pinarello KOBH

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
@njkayaker I have the newer Garmin Explore. When I upload a ride the elevation gain is always way off. It's always under reported by quite a bit.

Is this a known issue that others have reported?

Other than that, I'm pretty happy with the unit, especially the large display and nav functions.
Old 07-16-19, 11:47 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by tunavic
@njkayaker I have the newer Garmin Explore. When I upload a ride the elevation gain is always way off. It's always under reported by quite a bit.

Is this a known issue that others have reported?
Yes, it's a known issue.

The Explore doesn't have a barometer. So, it has to rely on GPS for elevation. A barometer is considered the best option for measuring elevation/gain. GPS is known poor choice.

Garmin Connect will "correct" the elevation for units that don't have a barometer.

Other than that, I'm pretty happy with the unit, especially the large display and nav functions.
Nice. I considered getting one to see how well it worked.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 07-17-19, 01:43 PM
tunavic

Bikes: '12 BMC Road Racer, Pinarello KOBH

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Yes, it's a known issue.

The Explore doesn't have a barometer. So, it has to rely on GPS for elevation. A barometer is considered the best option for measuring elevation/gain. GPS is known poor choice.

Garmin Connect will "correct" the elevation for units that don't have a barometer.
Garmin Connect does do the correction automatically but Strava does not. I have to request a correction every time I upload a ride.

If Strava can be set up to automatically correct every ride uploaded, I haven't found it.
Old 07-17-19, 02:51 PM
DCwom

If the OP was following a “Route” as generated by RWGPS or a Course as generated by Garmin Connect, it’s likely the recorded ride would be following the Route/Course, probably closely enough to be able to use the back to start function. Unless he deviated from the Course, thus the Return To Start would follow the deviated recorded track (or Route as he calls it) at least that’s how I believe that Garmin feature works. Never used it, might be wrong.

But as always it’s a typical argument with you that gets absurd especially as the OP has not chimed with any clarification, likely as his question was answered. I’ll await any follow up from DC if he chooses to clarify.
I am the OP.
Not wishing to add any fuel, just clarify to keep to the point of the thread. I was following what the Garmin Explore calls a "course", which was created on RWGPS as a "route" and downloaded to the Garmin. Note that the Explore seems to call recorded "tracks" as "rides".

DCwom
Old 07-17-19, 03:00 PM
njkayaker

...just clarify to keep to the point of the thread. I was following what the Garmin Explore calls a "course", which was created on RWGPS as a "route" and downloaded to the Garmin. Note that the Explore seems to call recorded "tracks" as "rides".
You were clear enough.

The units don't provide an option to reverse a course.

RWGPS has that option for paid subscriptions.

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-17-19 at 03:22 PM.
Old 07-17-19, 04:03 PM
Steve B.

You were clear enough.

The units don't provide an option to reverse a course.

RWGPS has that option for paid subscriptions.
OK I'll bite.

The Edge Explore manual states you have 2 options when you choose "Back To Start". One of the options is "Along Same Route".

I assume that would mean the device will follow the ride/track in reverse. If you have been following a Course/Route without deviating, then the device should be simply reversing the planned route.

Is that not what happens ?
Old 07-17-19, 04:41 PM
njkayaker

OK I'll bite.

The Edge Explore manual states you have 2 options when you choose "Back To Start". One of the options is "Along Same Route".

I assume that would mean the device will follow the ride/track in reverse. If you have been following a Course/Route without deviating, then the device should be simply reversing the planned route.

Not really.

"Follow the ride/track in reverse" and "simply reversing the planned route" aren't the same thing. (I'm pretty sure you know that.) They are never the same (they could be fairly close).

These options (which I mentioned two days ago: the 1030 has the same options) only process the recorded track.

You don't need a course (it doesn't use the course information at all).

As far as the reversal feature is concerned, there is no course.

Also, you can't get these options from a course.

==============================

Note that the units provide an option to convert a recorded ride into a course (I suspect the unit just copies the file!).

As it happens, the course file contains (more or less) the same kind of information as a recorded track. That is, a course and a track are, basically, the same thing (courses tend to have fewer points than tracks).

That is, there isn't really any reason the units can't provide the option to reverse a course. They just don't.

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-17-19 at 05:11 PM.
Old 07-17-19, 05:56 PM
Steve B.

Not really.

"Follow the ride/track in reverse" and "simply reversing the planned route" aren't the same thing. (I'm pretty sure you know that.) They are never the same (they could be fairly close).

That is, there isn't really any reason the units can't provide the option to reverse a course. They just don't.
They would be the same if no deviation occurred, but a user should be aware that the device is not reversing the course, it's reversing the recorded ride.

And at the OP, a thanks for being patient with this somewhat obscure discussion, as this can be a useful bit of info. to new users of Garmin devices.

Last edited by Steve B.; 07-17-19 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-17-19, 07:38 PM
Montag311

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
I don't know of a way to do it on the fly from the device itself, but if you use the Garmin Connect website, you can do it there. You can import the route to Garmin Connect from RWGPS, or convert an activity that you've already done into a course. Open the course in Garmin Connect, and in the details section, click on the three dots next to where it says "Send to Device". Click Edit and there will be an option to Reverse Direction.

This works better on a computer. On a phone I don't think you can do it from the mobile site; you need to use the desktop site and it's kind of a clunky process so it's best if you can do it ahead of time.

Last edited by Montag311; 07-17-19 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-18-19, 05:56 AM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by Montag311
I don't know of a way to do it on the fly from the device itself, but if you use the Garmin Connect website, you can do it there. You can import the route to Garmin Connect from RWGPS, or convert an activity that you've already done into a course. Open the course in Garmin Connect, and in the details section, click on the three dots next to where it says "Send to Device". Click Edit and there will be an option to Reverse Direction.

This works better on a computer. On a phone I don't think you can do it from the mobile site; you need to use the desktop site and it's kind of a clunky process so it's best if you can do it ahead of time.
If you have cell data you can access the Connect website from a browser on the phone. I just tried creating a new Course on the Connect site, made a ride that had me go out for 20 miles. Saved it and then went to edit. It allowed me to change the Course to an Out and Back.
Old 07-18-19, 06:07 AM
DCwom

OK I'll bite.

I have yet to find an option for "Back to start", perhaps the unit has to be in an active tracking mode during a ride for that option, (I'm at my desk now...). Overall I'm very happy with the unit, this is a major upgrade for me from an old eTrex, I wanted a map, with turn-by-turn and touch screen, but there's a whole lot more than just that on this unit. Really what I learned from this is when I plan an out & back in the future, I'll make two routes on RWGPS.
Old 07-18-19, 06:26 AM
redcon1

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
Garmin Connect does do the correction automatically but Strava does not. I have to request a correction every time I upload a ride.

If Strava can be set up to automatically correct every ride uploaded, I haven't found it.
This changed for me with a recent Strava update, maybe 10 days ago. My Edge Explore activities uploaded to Strava are now elevation corrected by default.
Likes For redcon1:
Old 07-18-19, 07:12 AM
Steve B.

I have yet to find an option for "Back to start", perhaps the unit has to be in an active tracking mode during a ride for that option, (I'm at my desk now...).ly what I learned from this is when I plan an out & back in the future, I'll make two routes on RWGPS.
I don't have an Explore, so downloaded the manual. Now note that Garmin manuals can suck, but here's what it says: Page 3 at bottom left.

Navigating Back to Start
At any point during the ride you can return to the starting point
1) Go For a Ride
2) At any point during the ride select anywhere on the screen to select the timer overlay
3) Select [Home Symbol] - Where To - Back to Start
4) Select - Along Same Route or Most Direct Route
5) Select - Ride
The device navigates you to the starting point of your ride

Yes, the unit would be need to be in active tracking mode for this to work as it uses that track to generate return to start directions. Hard not to be in an active track though, typically the unit will automatically start a track when you start moving, even if you didn't press Start. My 1000 does this as did the 810. Curious if they changed this function on the Explore.

And as note, the active track (which can auto start) is different then following a course. You have to start a course navigation as well as start the track, these are seperate functions.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-18-19, 07:27 AM
njkayaker

They would be the same if no deviation occurred, but a user should be aware that the device is not reversing the course, it's reversing the recorded ride.

And at the OP, a thanks for being patient with this somewhat obscure discussion, as this can be a useful bit of info. to new users of Garmin devices.
The user should be aware that the feature really has nothing to do with courses.

The "reverse a recorded ride" is intended to be a "get me home" feature (when deciding not to complete the ride as planned).

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-18-19 at 07:57 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.