Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cheapo MTB wheels good for road?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-18, 02:15 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts

I have an old hybrid that currently has super chunky tires and 17 or so mm rims (internal). Yes I know that's bad. But. The wheels need replacing after taking a battering for a few years and I want to repurpose it to be road focused since it's utter trash on the trails anyway.

Since 21mm internal rims are all the hype, how dumb would it be to get a $100 or so MTB wheelset with a 21mm internal width and stick 25mm tires on it? The rider weighs maybe 110lbs so they wouldn't exactly be pushing it. Would the tire blow? Would the rim fail?

BTW: I'm looking at XM280 rims laced to sram hubs on JensonUSA.

Last edited by smashndash; 08-02-18 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-02-18, 03:37 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
"Super chunky" tires have poor road performance. Why don't you try fitting some slick/minimal tread tires on your current wheels? It may totally change the character of the bike for you.
Old 08-02-18, 04:05 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
"Super chunky" tires have poor road performance. Why don't you try fitting some slick/minimal tread tires on your current wheels? It may totally change the character of the bike for you.
+1
OP: you have to get the tires anyway, right? Might as well try them on your existing wheels at no additional cost. Also, "a $100 or so MTB wheelset" may be worse than the wheels you have.

Last edited by AnkleWork; 08-02-18 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-02-18, 04:07 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,266 Times in 873 Posts
For my hybrid, I built a set of wheels (13.5mm internal) to replace the factory (21mm internal) rims just to use 25mm tires.
The rims you have now are a far better match IMO.
Besides, why add the extra weight?
Old 08-02-18, 04:24 PM
smashndash

Sorry, there was some extraneous information in that post. Basically I'm making the transition to slick tires on a hybrid with QR disc wheels and was wondering whether a 21mm MTB wheel is as good for thin tires as 21mm road wheels. The old wheels have shot bearings and are so out of true at this point, it's a lost cause.

And I think the extra weight is worth the additional comfort + grip and the reduction in suspension losses + rolling resistance. The bike weighs some 35 to 40 lbs. 200 or 300g won't turn this into a race bike.

Last edited by smashndash; 08-02-18 at 04:27 PM.
Old 08-02-18, 05:00 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

A wider rim will result in a harsher ride with a 25mm tire.
Apparently you already decided and just want someone to agree?
I don't. My work is done.
Old 08-02-18, 05:16 PM
smashndash

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
A wider rim will result in a harsher ride with a 25mm tire.
Apparently you already decided and just want someone to agree?
I don't. My work is done.
Seriously? Not sure what kind of logic you're using there. I'd be running lower pressures. My question isn't whether wider is better - everyone agrees that it is. I'm asking what the difference between a 21mm MTB wheel and a 21mm road wheel is.
Old 08-02-18, 05:26 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Enjoy your pinch flats
Old 08-02-18, 05:31 PM
smashndash

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Enjoy your pinch flats
Cool. So does this mean that the only risk of running a skinny tire on an MTB rim is pinch flats ie the same as running that tire on most high end road wheels on the market today?
Old 08-02-18, 08:03 PM
Oso Polar

Bikes: Trek 3500, Jamis Renegade Escapade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 43 Posts
It is dumb to get wide and heavy 21 mm MTB rims and pair them with skinny 25 mm race tires, nothing good will come out of it. And you'll not be able to run low pressure with 25 mm tires - much less so with a 40 lb bike (seriously? ) If you want comfort pair these wide rims with wide slicks - 35 - 40 mm, may be even wider. And then you'll be able to run them with lower pressure.
Old 08-02-18, 08:33 PM
smashndash

Originally Posted by Oso Polar
It is dumb to get wide and heavy 21 mm MTB rims and pair them with skinny 25 mm race tires, nothing good will come out of it. And you'll not be able to run low pressure with 25 mm tires - much less so with a 40 lb bike (seriously? ) If you want comfort pair these wide rims with wide slicks - 35 - 40 mm, may be even wider. And then you'll be able to run them with lower pressure.
Right. People keep giving me better suggestions. I get it. There are better solutions out there. But the point is that I have a pair of 25mm tires lying around and I'd rather use those.
A 110 lb rider + 35lb bikes weighs much less than most people's setups.
I am genuinely curious as to why everyone thinks the wide MTB wheels are a bad idea when IDENTICALLY wide road rims are available on $13,000 road bikes. Color me confused. Can someone please answer my question? Why is getting the wider wheel a bad idea?
Old 08-03-18, 05:08 AM
Jadesfire 

Bikes: '88 Bianchi, '94ish Trek

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
I have an old hybrid that currently has super chunky tires and 17 or so mm rims (internal). Yes I know that's bad. But. The wheels need replacing after taking a battering for a few years and I want to repurpose it to be road focused since it's utter trash on the trails anyway.

Since 21mm internal rims are all the hype, how dumb would it be to get a $100 or so MTB wheelset with a 21mm internal width and stick 25mm tires on it? The rider weighs maybe 110lbs so they wouldn't exactly be pushing it. Would the tire blow? Would the rim fail?

BTW: I'm looking at XM280 rims laced to sram hubs on JensonUSA.
From Sheldon Brown (https://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html#width)

B.S.D.

ISO, the International Organization for Standardization has developed a universal tire and rim sizing system that eliminates this confusion. (This system was formerly known as the "E.T.R.T.O." system, developed by the European Tyre and Rim Technical Organisation.)The ISO system uses two numbers. The first is width in millimeters. For the rim, this is the inner width between the flanges, as shown in the diagram; for the tire, it is the inflated width. This will vary a bit depending on the width of the rim.The second ISO number is the critical one: it is the diameter of the bead seat of the rim, in mm ("B.S.D."). Generally, if this number matches, the tire involved will fit onto the rim; if it doesn't match, the tire won't fit.For example, a 700 x 20 C road tire would be a 20-622; a 700 x 38 hybrid tire would be a 38-622. The width difference between these sizes would make them less-than ideal replacements for one another, but any rim that could fit one of them would work after a fashion with the other.A general guideline is that the tire width should be between 1.45/2.0 x the inner rim width.If you pull the beads apart and measure the total width from bead to bead, it should be approximately 2.5 x the ISO width.If your tire is too narrow for the rim, there's an increased risk of tire/rim damage from road hazards.If its too wide for the rim, there's an increase risk of sidewall wear from brake shoes, and a greater risk of loss of control in the event of a sudden flat.The tables below give a partial listing of traditional tire sizes, with their ISO bead-seat equivalents. The ISO comparison list at the bottom of this page covers all sizes which we know to be in production as of 2016. The fractional, decimal and French lists cover common sizes.
In short, there's more to the matching of tires and rims than just the inner diameter. Your combination might work, but discrepancies between the Bead Seat Diameter recommendations might cause you to have to deal with more pinch flats than you would with a road wheel set and road tires.

Also, OP, when I type in "XM280 rims: JensonUSA" into a Google search, it brings me to: https://www.jensonusa.com/29-Alloy-Mountain-QR-Disc-Wheelset-29-QR-FR-QR-RR-6-BOLT-Shimano?pt_source=googleads&pt_medium=cpc&pt_campaign=shopping_us&pt_keyword=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz-Dlht7Q3AIVFbaWCh3YaAbwEAYYASABEgLRZvD_BwE
Is this the correct wheel set? And if so, is your hybrid disc compatible? And can it fit a 135mm rear hub?

Just a general FYI, a possible equally cheap option can be found on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Aeromax-Alloy-Wheelset-Road-Wheels/dp/B002XOJD9A/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1533294371&sr=8-17&keywords=road+bike+wheelsets https://www.amazon.com/Aeromax-Alloy-Wheelset-Road-Wheels/dp/B002XOJD9A/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1533294371&sr=8-17&keywords=road+bike+wheelsets
Which, if you don't have a problem supporting Bezos (and I don't- I have these on my commuter, that goes over some fairly rough roads), would alleviate the question and would without a doubt fit the 25 tires you have on hand.

Good luck!

Last edited by Jadesfire; 08-03-18 at 05:59 AM.
Old 08-03-18, 08:25 AM
smashndash

Originally Posted by Jadesfire
From Sheldon Brown (Tire Sizing Systems)[B]
In short, there's more to the matching of tires and rims than just the inner diameter. Your combination might work, but discrepancies between the Bead Seat Diameter recommendations might cause you to have to deal with more pinch flats than you would with a road wheel set and road tires.

Also, OP, when I type in "XM280 rims: JensonUSA" into a Google search, it brings me to: https://www.jensonusa.com/29-Alloy-Mountain-QR-Disc-Wheelset-29-QR-FR-QR-RR-6-BOLT-Shimano?pt_source=googleads&pt_medium=cpc&pt_campaign=shopping_us&pt_keyword=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz-Dlht7Q3AIVFbaWCh3YaAbwEAYYASABEgLRZvD_BwE
Is this the correct wheel set? And if so, is your hybrid disc compatible? And can it fit a 135mm rear hub?
Yes that is the one I'm looking at. As far as I can tell, yes it's a 135mm QR disc bike.
Thanks for the link. I read it, and found this interesting snippet: 29 inch622 mmThis is a marketing term for wide 622 mm ("700C") tires.

​​​​​​So a 29er wheelset is the same as road 700C wheels? If the width is the same and the BSD is the same, what is the actual difference?
Old 08-04-18, 06:59 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 826 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash

​​​​​​So a 29er wheelset is the same as road 700C wheels? If the width is the same and the BSD is the same, what is the actual difference?
A 29 is a 700C. They are absolutely interchangeable. With that said there are wide 29/700 rims and narrow ones. You can get a tire that is too narrow for a given rim width and it may give you problems, but you should be able to run 25 tires on those rims without issue.
Old 08-04-18, 08:15 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked 1,736 Times in 957 Posts
Probably be ok, folk just like to error on the side of caution.
Old 08-11-18, 12:45 AM
RowdyTI

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
He can put on slick MTB tires if the bike is exclusively for road use. For casual riding this tends to be preferable to an actual road bike.