Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

So how long does it take to break in a saddle?

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 06-18-19, 07:00 PM
Jac of Hearts

Bikes: 2012 Trek Dual Sport 8.5 Gary Fisher Collection

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 46 Posts

I picked up a DS 8.5 in May and immediately got rid of the Evoke Saddle. It was literally a PIA. My LBS suggested a Bontrager Boulevard. It is wider and better padded but it is still, after several adjustments, gives me a sore feeling in the soft part behind my testicles. (Sorry ladies.) Sit bones are fine. I tried a gel comfort saddle by Bell thinking more padding is better and it was actually worse.

I've been on this Bontrager for about 45 days. Should I stick with it or start the search again. For reference I am between 275 and 280 lbs. depending on the day.

Thanks
Old 06-18-19, 07:16 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I may be mistaken, but i think saddle break-in is limited to leather saddles. For the other ones, if it hurts on day #1 , it will hurt just as much on day #1 00 (unless your arse HTFU).

The pain you describe is not something you want to ignore. Get a different saddle, or play with the tilt, forward-aft position, height, etc. until that sensation is nothing more than a bad memory.

If all else fails, there is always this:

If I were you, I would try a Brooks or something similar.
Old 06-18-19, 08:08 PM
MSchott

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
I would suggest a saddle with much less padding. That may confuse you but a padded saddle is not optimal. The padding moves around as you shift on the seat. A firmer saddle and proper cycling shorts that contain their own padding is far more comfortable for longer rides and for the kind off bike you own. The padding in the shorts will always be in the right spot to cushion the sensitive areas.
Likes For MSchott:
Old 06-18-19, 08:56 PM
BurittoGrande

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Saddles are tough. Figure out your sitbone width and THEN look for a proper saddle. More padding does not mean more comfy.
Likes For BurittoGrande:
Old 06-19-19, 07:43 AM
Aahzz

Bikes: '17 Trek FX2, '19 Trek FX 3 Disc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 214 Times in 87 Posts
I had issues with taint pain, leading to numbness in parts I don't wish to be numb, ever, until I switched to a Selle SMP TRK - really relieves the pressure. Obviously, no one saddle works for anyone, but given your described pain you might want to check one out.

https://www.amazon.com/Selle-SMP-Cyc...gateway&sr=8-6
Old 06-19-19, 08:02 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3355 Post(s)
Liked 5,431 Times in 2,810 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott

If all else fails, there is always this:

Omigawd, I thought that was an April Fools photoshop job.
But some googling reveals it was for real.
Old 06-19-19, 09:08 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 1,415 Posts
I for one, find more padding works better for me, and gel padding at that. I think the most comfortable saddle I have is the Serfas Dual Density DDM-CT with cut out. I don't like the friction caused by the Lycra cover, though. They also offer the TRS-2 Terazzo, which is a mountain bike saddle. It's similar in comfort to the Dual Density but with a cover with far less friction.

I'm currently trying to get used to a Specialized Canopy, which isn't bad.

In my experience, it takes a good 100-200 miles to figure out if a saddle is going to work.

-Matt
Old 06-19-19, 10:02 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
for road bikes, I do better with non cut saddles that have less padding. My bikes are fit pretty aggressive with larger saddle to bar drop. I have better shorts to help but doesn't mean the shorts have thicker padding.

For MTB, it doesn't matter. My current MTB came with a WTB Volt Race, which is pretty padded in my stardards and my first ride on the bike was 5hours moving time. Saddle did great and got better as it broke in. No need to change it out and fairly cheap for others to try.

https://www.amazon.com/WTB-Volt-Race...0SU?th=1&psc=1
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 06-19-19, 11:27 AM
Jac of Hearts

UPDATE: I moved the Boulevard back as far as it would go and tipped the nose down as far as it would go and it is a little better. Now that the nose is down I may nudge it forward just a little.

I have a smoother gel saddle coming (older Trek) so we will see if that makes a difference. When you're a big guy (or gal) the struggle is real!
Old 06-19-19, 10:32 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,091 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by Jac of Hearts
UPDATE: I moved the Boulevard back as far as it would go and tipped the nose down as far as it would go and it is a little better. Now that the nose is down I may nudge it forward just a little.

I have a smoother gel saddle coming (older Trek) so we will see if that makes a difference. When you're a big guy (or gal) the struggle is real!
The thing to remember is that you don’t break in a saddle. You adapt to it. That goes for all saddles but doubly so for plastic ones. The plastic shell doesn’t change no matter how much you ride on it. You just get used to it or not. Even with leather saddles, it’s more a case of you get used to the way it feels. And that is independent of what your body type is.

I would caution against riding too much with the saddle nose tilted down as far as it will go. All that does is force you to constantly push back on the saddle. It will put a lot of stress on your arms and hands. In the long run, it’s not good for you.

I would also caution against a saddle that is too squishy. You found that when you tried adding a thicker saddle. Your saddle may be too high or, more likely, you are “sitting” on the saddle while you ride. A bicycle saddle is called that because that’s what it is. A saddle is supposed to support you but it isn’t a “seat”. Learn to ride while hovering over the saddle rather then making it take all of your weight. That goes a long way towards saddle comfort.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-19-19, 10:50 PM
Jac of Hearts

Originally Posted by cyccommute
The thing to remember is that you don’t break in a saddle. You adapt to it. That goes for all saddles but doubly so for plastic ones. The plastic shell doesn’t change no matter how much you ride on it. You just get used to it or not. Even with leather saddles, it’s more a case of you get used to the way it feels. And that is independent of what your body type is.

I would caution against riding too much with the saddle nose tilted down as far as it will go. All that does is force you to constantly push back on the saddle. It will put a lot of stress on your arms and hands. In the long run, it’s not good for you.

I would also caution against a saddle that is too squishy. You found that when you tried adding a thicker saddle. Your saddle may be too high or, more likely, you are “sitting” on the saddle while you ride. A bicycle saddle is called that because that’s what it is. A saddle is supposed to support you but it isn’t a “seat”. Learn to ride while hovering over the saddle rather then making it take all of your weight. That goes a long way towards saddle comfort.
I guess I did mean how long does it take to get you adapted to a saddle. I know the saddle itself doesn't really change, you get used to it.

The nose does not dip much but I will check tomorrow to see if it is too far from level. The nose down position is taking more pressure off the perineal area and that's where the discomfort is. And as to hovering I'll keep that in mind as I ride tomorrow.

Thanks
Old 06-20-19, 04:32 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Aahzz
I had issues with taint pain, leading to numbness in parts I don't wish to be numb, ever, until I switched to a Selle SMP TRK - really relieves the pressure. Obviously, no one saddle works for anyone, but given your described pain you might want to check one out.

https://www.amazon.com/Selle-SMP-Cyc...gateway&sr=8-6
I got one several weeks ago, from Chain Reaction in the UK, for around $50 delivered, might be worth checking them out.
Likes For Brocephus:
Old 06-20-19, 07:25 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I too struggled on my first road bike with saddles. Then after I got my bike fit my bike shop buddy said you have the wrong width saddle. I then purchased the size he suggested and it was an immediate difference. it took me maybe 4-6 rides to really get used to the saddle but its been super good now for 3 years. No discomfort at all. I did buy a higher end saddle but it more the correct size than anything.

Also I learned the hard way that too much padding isn't necessarily a good thing
Old 06-20-19, 08:24 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

I guess I did mean how long does it take to get you adapted to a saddle. I know the saddle itself doesn't really change, you get used to it.
Depends. For me, it doesn't matter. I find Brooks saddles comfortable out of the box. None of my Brooks (I have several) have even have the classic divot in them. That includes my touring bike (about 9000 miles and about 2000 miles) and my commuter bike which has 25,000 miles on it. My mountain bikes have plastic saddles on them because Brooks just doesn't work all that well for off-road. The feel is slightly different when I change from bike to bike but none of them have taken me any time to get used to.

The nose does not dip much but I will check tomorrow to see if it is too far from level. The nose down position is taking more pressure off the perineal area and that's where the discomfort is. And as to hovering I'll keep that in mind as I ride tomorrow.

Thanks
You said that you have pushed the nose all the way down. Most seatposts* will allow for a downward tilt of the nose to around 20° to 25°. That's a lot of tilt. It's enough to push you onto your hands and, perhaps, make you readjust on the saddle constantly to compensate.

Another consideration is the clothes you are wearing. If you aren't wearing bicycle shorts, the seams in regular clothes bunches up around that area. Bicycle clothes aren't worn for fashion. They are for function. If you don't have padded shorts, consider getting some.

*Yea, I know I went through the whole "saddle thing" but that's what we call them....
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-20-19, 11:39 AM
Jac of Hearts

You said that you have pushed the nose all the way down. Most seatposts* will allow for a downward tilt of the nose to around 20° to 25°. That's a lot of tilt. It's enough to push you onto your hands and, perhaps, make you readjust on the saddle constantly to compensate.
My seatpost limits how much I can tilt the seat. (Bontrager SSR) Today I tried closer to level and even a slight nose up. Nose down was a little better than either.

Another consideration is the clothes you are wearing. If you aren't wearing bicycle shorts, the seams in regular clothes bunches up around that area. Bicycle clothes aren't worn for fashion. They are for function. If you don't have padded shorts, consider getting some.
I am wearing padded bike underwear as underwear. It does help.

After your last post I'm taking a look at seat height. I do think this got worse when I raised my seat.

I am going to go to my LBS this afternoon and see if the problem is fit and see if they can take an objective view on how my bike should fit me.

We are headed out to the NC OBX Sunday and I want to be able to put down some miles while I'm there.
Old 06-20-19, 03:19 PM
ronin4740

Bikes: Giant TCR, Pure City Original Fixie, Fuji Roubaix, Raleigh M800

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
I'm 5'10", 53 and well north of 200lbs. Saddles and I don't like each other at all... I've tried quite a few over the past few years and have finally decided that the one which works best for me is the Selle SMP line of saddles. One of the LBS's is a dealer and has most of their saddles available for demo. Another LBS is a Fizik dealer and has their saddles but none that I tried worked well for me.

I purchased a used Giant TCR recently and the stock saddle was really bad. Got numb in placed I'd rather not be after about 10 miles on the bike. Decided to swap it out and am currently using a Well which has a 147mm width.

Initially my inner thighs hated it - lots of burning right in the area which makes contact with the sides of the saddle. Thought it might be that it was a bit too wide in that area but I kept at it and it got better... Perhaps I decreased the diameter of my inner thighs a bit over a two week period of time.

I also experienced just a little burning just behind the family jewels but that has also largely gone away. Was always much better than the Giant saddle spec'ed with the bike...

I found level wasn't the best for me so my saddle is also tilted a couple of degrees down. Guess I can't bend in the middle as well as I used to be able to so the compromise is to drop the nose of the saddle just a bit to compensate for now. Hopefully as I continue to ride that will improve too.

Anyway I'd suggest seeing if any of your LBS's have demo saddles and/or actually having a fit done. Barring that you can always get a Prime membership and purchase saddles to try and return if you don't like them. Anything that's just as painful after a week as it was when you first rode it ought to go back as in my mind it's not likely to get better with more time. I do think to some degree your body adapts to the saddle but only to a certain degree.

Hope this helps a little
Old 06-20-19, 04:20 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2302 Post(s)
Liked 2,736 Times in 1,497 Posts
I am wearing padded bike underwear as underwear. It does help.

Just to note there is a difference between padded bike underwear and real bike shorts..... it is form follows function thing....not a fashion thing......just like bike Jersey's with pockets in the back

i have had good luck with https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/ and with https://www.voler.com/ aerotech has up to at least 4xl

Old 06-21-19, 09:18 AM
cyccommute 

My seatpost limits how much I can tilt the seat. (Bontrager SSR) Today I tried closer to level and even a slight nose up. Nose down was a little better than either.
I’m familiar with that post. The tilt limits on the Bontrager aren’t any more or less than other seatposts. The old clamp type seatpost allows for more tilt but what the Bontrager allows for is fairly normal. Even then, the downward or upward tilt on either is fairly large.

I am wearing padded bike underwear as underwear. It does help.[/QUOTE]

As squirtdad pointed out, padded shorts are different from underwear. Anything you wear over the padded underwear may be bunched up in a bad place. Bike shorts without anything over them (or under them for that matter) are smooth where then need to be.

After your last post I'm taking a look at seat height. I do think this got worse when I raised my seat.
There you go. Lower your saddle a little (a few millimeters is enough) and go ride. Lower it a little more if that doesn’t work.

Old 06-21-19, 01:39 PM
nivalu

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

As squirtdad pointed out, padded shorts are different from underwear. Anything you wear over the padded underwear may be bunched up in a bad place. Bike shorts without anything over them (or under them for that matter) are smooth where then need to be.
I struggle with this too. I have gotten horrible saddle sores lately, even after changing the saddle. I couldnt ride for like 3 days and I can't afford not to work out that long! I have a couple of pairs of shorts but they don't fit well---there is not a lot that will fit me at my size so I have a lot of the padded underwear too.
Old 06-24-19, 09:15 PM
kwhiner

Bikes: '94 Eddy Merckx Century TSX '86 Schwinn Paramount, '89 Schwinn Paramount, '84 Specialized Sequoia, '85 Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, '86 Schwinn Prelude, '92 Cannondale T600, '78 Guerciotti, '91 Giant ATX 770, '87 Schwinn Le Tour(beater)

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
Saddle Breakin

Agree with at least one or two of the posters, generally in my case I have adapted to my saddles of choice. Favorites being the San Marco Rolls and Selle Italia Turbo for the more racy bikes and the vintage Avocet Touring and Racing saddles from the '80s for the more touring oriented rides.
Old 06-27-19, 01:40 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 514 Posts
The only saddle that needs break in is a leather one, the rest is developing bike butt.
Old 06-27-19, 08:34 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by bwilli88
The only saddle that needs break in is a leather one, the rest is developing bike butt.
People break leather saddles down in an attempt to make them softer. But all they end up doing is damaging the leather without embracing the firmness of a purely leather saddle. I have many leather saddles with from a few hundred miles to 25,000 miles on them. None of them looks any different than the day I took them out of the box. They don't have "divots" or "dents" or any other deformation. And, frankly, each one of them was comfortable from the day I took them out of the box. The one on this bike

2015-05-09 16.50.31 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

Had only a couple of hundred miles on it before it went on a 5 week, 1500 mile tour.

Old 06-30-19, 08:27 AM
Jac of Hearts

Update:

I picked up a used Trek gel saddle and when installing it I noticed that when I sit in a more upright position the pressure on my perineum was much lessened. So I had a stem riser installed and raised my handlebars.

I then drove 6 hours to the OBX for vacation and the drive gave me some chaffing so the rides at the beach switching back and forth between saddles was inconclusive.

When I got home the chaffing was gone and I put 5 miles on the get saddle with the raised handlebars and had much less pain. I have the nose slightly down with the saddle well forward on the stem and I seem to be sitting firmly on my sit bones, not my perineum. I'm going to ride this saddle through July and see how it goes.
Old 07-06-19, 10:47 PM
Jac of Hearts

Learn to ride while hovering over the saddle rather then making it take all of your weight. That goes a long way towards saddle comfort.
I am learning to hover and it is helping. Thanks for the advice.
Old 07-07-19, 12:11 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
I learned to rotate my hips back to not put pressure where you say you have discomfort .

when I started riding on my Leather Brooks team pro saddle I bought in the mid 70's..

we broke in to each other for 10 years of local riding , before it was my go-to long distance touring saddle..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.