Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Giant LA Free Twist comfort

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Giant LA Free Twist comfort

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-19, 01:59 PM
katielafree

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Giant LA Free Twist comfort

Hi there, I have this wonderful electric bike only I haven't charged the battery since last summer. I know I should have But I went to put it on charge and the red light on the charger Panasonic NKJ019 literally momentarily lights up and goes off again. The battery is dead. Is this a problem with the charger do you think or the battery. I am wondering if the charger should light up red even if the battery isn't connected and if so maybe the charger is faulty (I really hope it is the charger).

If anyone has one of these chargers I would be really grateful if they could tell me how it should behave when not plugged into the battery please Also if anyone knows anywhere I might get a replacement charger or battery if I need to please. I really don't want to get a different bike it is wonderful! I am in East Devon. Thank you!
Old 06-22-19, 04:10 PM
momsonherbike

Bikes: All mine are electric bikes now

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
I have the Giant LaFree E+1. My charging unit is made by Giant and came with the purchase of this bike. It lights up green when first plugged in, and switchs to red when a battery needing charge is plugged in. It will stay red until the battery is fully charged, then the light changes to green.

You might have the wrong type of charger for your bike unless it worked for you in the past. I would suggest you contact a bike shop that sells Giant ebikes, and see what they have to say. Or contact Giant customer service.

Last edited by momsonherbike; 06-22-19 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-22-19, 04:19 PM
katielafree

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by momsonherbike
I have the Giant LaFree E+1. My charging unit is made by Giant and came with the purchase of this bike. It lights up green when first plugged in, and switchs to red when a battery needing charge is plugged in. It will stay red until the battery is fully charged, then the light changes to green.

You might have the wrong type of charger for your bike unless it worked for you in the past. I would suggest you contact a bike shop that sells Giant ebikes, and see what they have to say. Or contact Giant customer service.
Ok thanks i will try that. Mine is the correct charger and has been working fine but i just xsnt remember if it normally has a light in before being attsched to the battery. Yhe batteries seem to be over 300 pounds to replace and not easy to source so i really hope its the charger ! Its probably nearly 20 years old the bike so an older systen but its so good i want to get it going again if i can. Thanks for your advice.
Old 06-22-19, 05:11 PM
Hasselhof

Bikes: Merida Espresso 600 EQ

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If it's close to twenty years old it could be one of the models with an NiMH battery pack. The chances of you finding a replacement I'd have thought would be close to 0, and buying a second hand battery pack would be fraught with the danger of having a similar problem appear in the near future.

One option you could consider would be taking the battery and charger to a battery repacking company and seeing what they can do. If they can repack it at least you'd have new cells and probably a long service life out of the new battery. Failing that, it might be time for a new bike with a Li-ion battery
Old 06-23-19, 03:18 AM
katielafree

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Battery

Yes i might have to do that then . I want to keep my bike if i can.
Dows anyone know how to find out what type of battery it has?
Old 06-23-19, 03:22 AM
katielafree

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lafree twist

It has information on it yes it is a niMh 1.2 volt 20 piecea. Output 30A. Up until i forgot to charge it it held a charge perfectly and was allowing the optimum time i usage so i feel it could be saved .